10 Good Reasons to Sell Your Home in the Winter Season

NancyMyMoves
The last time I moved was in mid-March several years ago. In Ohio, that can mean 79 or 20 degrees - it’s a toss-up. In our case, a “rare winter storm” was predicted for the week of the move. I didn’t choose that particular moving date. After being in contract with three different buyers - the first one shaky, the second one psychotic, and the third one was just right and the sale actually went through. By then, we were more than ready for a move in any season.

One distinct memory summed up the experience. As I drove my F-150 pickup in the snow on the interstate, moving smaller items, a huge plastic tote blew out of the bed of the truck. Fortunately, it didn’t cause an accident or dent someone’s hood. We were near an exit, but I can’t believe my husband decided to try to retrieve it from the median. I watched anxiously from the safety of a parking lot and thought, “He’s going to die going after some old cleaning supplies…”

But not every winter season moving experience echoes ours. Especially if you’ve had your home on the market for a long time, you’ll most likely take the best offer, sell and plan your move.

Realtor Advice

Rick Wright has been a licensed realtor in the Columbus, Ohio area for 25 years. He specializes in the marketing of resale homes, buyer brokerage, relocation, investors and short sales. A skilled and experienced professional, Wright is passionate about the real estate business and loves the day to day challenges it brings. So it’s no surprise he came up with 10 good reasons to sell your home during the winter.

1. Less active listings – With less listings to choose from, there is greater demand.

2. Corporate relocation – More corporate relocations take place this time of year.

3. Holidays – When shown, your home will have a “holiday” feel.

4. Motivated buyers – Who else would want to move in the cold weather?

5. Curb appeal – It’s a more even playing field for curb appeal (everyone’s landscaping looks less than wonderful).

6. Low interest rates – The affordability index is very high right now.

7. Serious buyers – No “tire kickers.”

8. Less showings – There are fewer hassles with showings and more qualified buyers looking.

9. Low interest rates, Part II – The low rates work in your favor, too, if you’re purchasing your new home.

10. Leave it on the market – You can’t sell if you’re not on the market!

What about a Holiday Move?

Since some of the biggest holidays are this time of year, what if you have to move now? Right sees many opportunities that a holiday move can offer. “For first-time buyers, it gives them a fresh start during a festive time of year. Memories will be made that won’t be soon forgotten.” An end-of-year move is also an exciting, new beginning. “Start the new year with a new perspective!”

Make the most of your winter season or holiday move. And in case you were wondering, you may NOT borrow my truck for your next move. Not going to happen…;-)

I just wanted to let you know that we featured your essay on the Stage of Life Facebook page today. If you would like to check it, out go to http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stage-of-Life/70579036609 Feel free to share the news with your friends and family. You're famous! :)
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2011 1:24:14 PM

Homeowners blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for homeowners.  It allows people who own their home to share stories about the adventure of home ownership in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about home ownership, or check out the writing contest for homeowners, quotes about owning a home, home etiquette, videos about owning a home, discounts for homeowners, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your home, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources