How to Get Noticed in London

michael
London is huge, with one of the largest and densest populations in the Western World. Traffic jams are commonplace, the London Underground is often more crowded than it probably should be allowed to be, and just walking down some streets (*cough*Oxford Street*cough*) can prove a mission in itself. Jobs are hard to come by, yet still demand never fails to outstrip supply, and Londoners always have to deal with waiting – whether it's waiting for a coffee in the morning or waiting for your house to increase in value (well, if you don’t happen to own in Brixton that is!)

London itself has often been described as a living thing – ever moving, ever growing and all-consuming. The Londoners that make up this beast are merely pieces in the puzzle of its unstoppable growth, with each person playing their part in the merciless wave sweeping its way across England from the South-East. With London, the whole is certainly greater than the sum of its parts. Or is it?

Visit London today and you will be bombarded with imagery of great Londoners – ones that stuck out and changed the course of the great city forever. London celebrates these people, and always will.

Not all of us are going to go out and defeat a Spanish Armada and get our statue erected in Trafalgar Square tomorrow, so how do you get noticed in London now? Well, London is now undoubtedly a City that worships money, success, fame and fortune. Arguably it always has been, but ask an age old Londoner what they think of their hometown now and they will say that the atmosphere is changing.

The first thing you need to do is live in the right part of town. The boroughs of London rise and fall in measures of trendiness and market value like, for want of a better metaphor, a yo-yo. Either you buy or rent in an area that says 'I have money' (Chelsea, Notting Hill), or you buy or rent in an area that says 'I have money, and I’m clever with it' (the aforementioned Brixton, Bermondsey, or Shoreditch). Regardless of which of these categories you fall into, there are plenty of property consultants in London such as Benthorp or Strutt& Parker who know how to best spend your money when it comes to brick and mortar.
The next most important factor is your clothing. Whereas the area in which you live tells people around you how much cash you have, your clothes tell them what kind of music you listen to and if you'll be going to Wembley or Twickenham at the weekend for your next fix of live sporting entertainment. It is not a feature of London that we are at all proud of, but it is the truth. Wear lenseless glasses, retro sporting sweatshirts and skinny jeans and get noticed for being a hipster, or wear red trousers, boat shoes and a gilet if you want everyone to know that you went to private school and probably earn more money than you deserve.

So that's how to get noticed in London: choose where you live wisely and what you wear carefully. Define your tribe, because there is no point trying to do anything else.

Many thanks for your guide to London. The closest I ever came was a delayed-flight overnight in a Heathrow hotel many years ago, but there's always the chance I'll return (and try harder to be noticed). I hope you'll write again.
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 2:05:43 PM

Homeowners blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for homeowners.  It allows people who own their home to share stories about the adventure of home ownership in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about home ownership, or check out the writing contest for homeowners, quotes about owning a home, home etiquette, videos about owning a home, discounts for homeowners, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your home, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources