Emergency!

warren
One year ago, I posted an editor’s welcome on this life stage, suggesting that emergencies would be an outstanding topic for homeowners or others to write about for Stage of Life. You didn’t see it, did you? You may be new to the website, maybe you weren’t a homeowner, you might have been on vacation; maybe you had an emergency.

Since it’s such an important subject and a rich idea-popper for writers, I’m going to repeat and expand on what I wrote earlier.

Emergency Planning

I’ll start with planning. If you haven’t already done so, I strongly recommend you consult guides such as those prepared by FEMA (www.ready.gov/) or the American Red Cross (www.redcross.org/prepare).

That’s what my wife did during the mild hysteria about Y2K. Remember? When the clock struck midnight on New Year’s Eve, 2000, computers that had been programmed with 2-digit years were going to go wacky with “00” and interrupt the world as we know it. No doubt it could have been an apocalypse if there hadn’t been a scramble to correct the problem, but, fixes made, people and governments still held their proverbial breath.

Well, not my emergency-planner spouse. Before she and our son flew off to visit her family for Christmas and New Year’s, she left me with enough canned food, fresh water, batteries and cash to feed, bathe, light up and entertain half the neighborhood for a week.

Emergency Training and Responding

Between then and now, she was certified as an Emergency Medical Technician (aka, EMT). My contributions to her training were critical (filling in for the dummy), but it’s been way too long since I took a course on first aid and CPR. No excuse. Many organizations offer them, including the Red Cross www.redcross.org/take-a-class and the American Heart Association www.heart.org.

She must have lots of emergency response stories, but mine are more fun. A year ago, for example, she and I responded to our derecho-induced power loss by leaving town. I kept the tone light when I described the event on this life stage. I suspect any of those who lost power for five or more days would have written it differently, as would anyone who survived a fire, hurricane or other disaster.

Emergencies come in all sizes. When our son (small) was passing through his disaster prone years, he dropped a scissors (large) into a toilet before flushing (don’t ask). The plumber saved the toilet, though not before calling in the cavalry with its fiber optic vision system.

In a different house, one we were preparing for sale, our son peeled off strips of his bedroom wallpaper. That was upstairs. Downstairs, with prospective buyers approaching, Ninja, our German shepherd, couldn’t hold it a second longer and…oh, never mind. I could go on, but I’m happy to share the stage, any life stage. Stay safe.

Homeowners blog on StageofLife.comAbout Us StageofLife.com is a blogging community for homeowners.  It allows people who own their home to share stories about the adventure of home ownership in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Read the blogs and stories about home ownership, or check out the writing contest for homeowners, quotes about owning a home, home etiquette, videos about owning a home, discounts for homeowners, and other resources for having a baby on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free profile, share an essay about your home, and pass along your wisdom to help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor, teacher or educator - review our literacy, blogging and writing resources