I Said "YES"! ... Then I thought, "Now what?"

KristieMGrey
How many little girls grow up dreamers? I can tell you I certainly would sing "One Day My Prince Will Come" while pretending my gown was changing colors thanks to some magical floating friends. How many little girls plan their wedding before they hit middle school?

Well, for many, one day their Prince does come and they fall in love and one magic day he drops to his knee and presents to you a ring... Or he tapes the ring to the ceiling of your apartment and waits for you to notice... Or has your mom take you on vacation so he can surprise you on the pier at sunset...Or he drops the ring in the aquarium so you notice it when you feed your angel fish in the morning.

(Yes, those are all examples from real people I have met. Who says romance is dead?)

Now that you've got the ring on your finger, you may be feeling many emotions: love, joy, exuberance... confusion? terror? a general sense of not even knowing where to start?

I believe the first step is to BREATHE. Are you breathing? Good. Remember, this is going to be one of the most joyous days of your life! And isn't there a proverb that says something like: "Half the fun is the journey?" If you don't allow yourself to enjoy the process of the wedding, well you're certainly going to have a hard time enjoying the wedding itself.

So, I really feel that it's important to sit and think RIGHT OFF THE BAT: "How will I enjoy the next (insert time period before wedding) the most?"

For some people, it may mean hiring a planner to help them through the mess of organizing (or hiring a planner so that they don't over stress about the fact that the chair covers are slightly more ivory than the linens).

Some people go the opposite way. I know when my day comes and I'm presented a ring via squirrel or taped to my softball glove, I know my first step will be to buy a three-ring binder and tabs. (Hey, that's how I start planning ALL my events, why not with my wedding?) I find it thrilling to organize, plan and co-ordinate!

However, maybe you're just not into the idea of the wedding. Maybe you're one of those women who hasn't had this ideal dream of roses and a banquet and have suggested to Fiance the elopement idea. So perhaps a destination is the way to go. CANCUN HERE WE COME!

Seriously though, Destination Weddings are not only on the upswing right now because of their fantastic scenery, but they are extremely cost effective! Resorts and Cruise lines are equipped to handle anything, and will often do so at a rate of a quarter of what most banquet halls charge. The planning? Book your tickets, reserve your rooms, get your passport, and when you arrive sit with their wedding planner to pick out your flowers, dinner, and other decor.

And you can still do your Fairytale dream on your cruise! One of my favorite events was actually a 25th anniversary renewal on a cruise ship. Candlelight evening ceremony: he wore his Navy dress blues, she wore a fantastic gold Cinderella ballgown.

SO! Now that you have the ring and you are telling all your friends, and fielding a thousand Facebook messages congratulating you, just always remember to BREATHE.

Yes there is more I could write about what to do after the breathing is handled. Don't worry, more to come. I'm never at a lack of blogs on weddings.

Kristie M Grey is an international Event Planner with 10 years of experience in the field. You can contact her directly at [email protected].