Three Weddings On A Shoestring

[email protected]
By Beverly Lessard

In our culture, giving birth to a daughter means you get to pay for her wedding. As daughters one and two joined our family, friends chuckled as they reminded us of this fact. By the time daughter number three was born, instead of yelling “It’s a girl” our Doctor brought a financial planner into the delivery room.
“Here,” he advised, nodding toward the gentleman in the three piece suit, “Forget the free diapers from the hospital, take Hal home with you and start saving every penny you can.”
As the nurse wheeled me out of the delivery room, I heard the Doctor whisper sympathetically to my husband, “Good luck, young man.”

I giggled politely. Maybe girls did cost a little more but I was prepared to spend more on dress up shoes and less on jeans with dirt- stained knees and frog inhabited pockets.

And besides, who worried about weddings. Our daughters were still babies. Surely if I started saving now, we could afford to throw three weddings worthy of the Kennedys.

For the next ten years I saved every loose penny, nickel and dime. On my oldest daughter’s tenth birthday, we uncorked the piggy bank’s nose and counted the coins as if we had stolen pirate’s gold.
“Wow,” my daughter squealed, “you’ve saved almost $127.”
“Un huh,” I said proudly. “What kind of a wedding do you think you’d like?” I asked as we fell back onto the overstuffed couch, hands behind our heads as we dreamed away.
“I want a frilly white dress,” she began, “with a veil that goes down to the floor.”
“Lovely,” I responded, remembering my own special day.
“And I want to buy the Hodgson’s house so my husband and I can live right next door.”
Oh, so sweet, it was getting better and better. Daughters are just the best, I sighed, my heart growing ten sizes with every word she spoke.

“And you know what,” I suddenly interrupted, “if I continue to save, I might have almost $300 by the time you get married.

But by the time my daughter announced the big news, I had been kicked out of la-la land and with my feet landing on the cold, rocky earth, I had discovered that the wedding industry ran at a profit, a huge profit.

Scanning a wedding magazine’s estimated costs, I realized that the money I had saved would barely cover the cost of the invitations. We had nine months to plan a shoestring wedding. It was going to be like having a baby while on a diet. This was going to be one skinny baby.

But we planned every detail as if we could actually afford it and we had a ball.
“I want a garden wedding in our backyard,” my daughter gushed.
Great, I thought, this might work. And best yet my daughter wanted lilacs and I actually had several trees growing along the back of my yard. Sure, they were only three feet tall and hadn’t actually blossomed yet but maybe this would be the year.

For nine months we painted and cleaned and bought bride’s maids dresses off the clearance rack. We made our own centerpieces, put together snack trays and cold cut platters. Short of slaughtering a cow, we did everything to prepare for what would undoubtedly be the best day of her life.

And then, around May 1st, it hit us. We looked at each other as if someone had just told us the Titanic was going to sink and we were sitting in deck chairs on the front of the bow.

“What if it rains?” I can’t remember which one of us actually said the words because whichever one it was; the other was thinking it.

But five days before the wedding, a friend called after watching the week’s weather forecast, her voice excited and loud. “It’s supposed to be beautiful on Saturday, 80 degrees, no wind.”

She might as well have told me I’d won the lottery.

And it was beautiful and my daughter was beautiful and guess what? After the final guest left, my daughter threw her arms around me and cried, “Mom, this was the best day of my life.”

And it really was. It cost a little more than $300 but not much. And while none of the Kennedys came to the wedding, everyone who meant anything to my daughter arrived with laughter and joy in their hearts. It was a fairy tale come true kind of a day for a daughter who was happy to create her wedding day out of a three foot high lilac tree and a handful of purple balloons.
“One down,” I whispered to myself as I put my mother of the bride dress back into the zippered bag, “two to go.”