Royally Engaged.

ElleoftheBall
And I thought The Beatles finally coming to ITunes was exciting.

As Americans, we tend to have a fascination with many things British, but the Royal Family tends to rein supreme… especially with the ladies.

A couple years ago, my friends and I couldn’t put down The Other Boleyn Girl.

A couple decades before that book, our mothers were consumed by the wedding of Princess Diana.

Today, countless Facebook statuses are dedicated to the upcoming wedding of her son Prince William and his lady love Kate Middleton. A couple good ones I read today were, “Congratulations to the Prince and the Commoner!” and “My heart is broken, Prince William is engaged and my dreams are shattered. Good thing I have a back up plan.”

I remember seeing a documentary on Princess Diana shortly after her death. I couldn’t have been more than 10 or 11 but I just remember being fascinated with her wedding dress. While my respect for the late Diana never wavered, I grew out of my princess phase and moved on to my own style.

Or did I?

My wedding attire had the same elements that Lady Di’s possessed with a modern twist. I wore a white traditional ball gown style dress with a long cathedral veil complete with a blusher.
While I surely didn’t reference her wedding elements in my planning, they obviously left a lasting impression.

So, I can’t help but wonder; how will this royal engagement affect wedding trends for 2011-12?

Prince William gave Kate his mother’s 18-carat oval sapphire engagement ring surrounded by diamonds to seal the deal.

So, will heirloom engagement rings become the new “it ring?” Will brides-to-be everywhere look to the royal weddings of yore for inspiration?
And, more importantly, WWKD (What Will Kate Do?) Will she follow the stigma behind her ring and have a timeless wedding with a train for days? Or, will she break tradition and let her personal style shine through?

It’s all too early to tell, but one thing is for sure….this news has us royally engaged.
Comment by lrk08002

Royally engaged is right!
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2010 2:13:09 PM