Writing Prompts for Students

Writing Prompts for High School and College Students

Looking for interesting writing prompt ideas for your Creative Writing or Language Arts class?  Below are just a few of the previous teen essay writing prompts used in StageofLife.com's monthly, national student writing contest.  These writing prompts are quick tools to...
  • Writing Prompt Ideas for High School Students

Jump-start class discussion (read our "Life Isn't Boring" essay by one of our Stage of Life college interns as an opener to a memoir or life-essay writing exercise)
  • Build stronger student essay writers
  • Kick-off a new unit or novel that may tackle a theme addressed by one of these writing prompts
  • Provide in-class writing exercises, whether you're a Language Arts teacher or a homeschooling parent
For each writing prompt, we've included additional resources such as links to a mentor text for the prompt, a summary page about the writing contest that used that prompt, and the national Stage of Life press release surrounding the use of that student essay writing prompt.

Print Teen Writing Prompts (Partial List)

Ask your students to answer these writing prompts in 500 words or less...

Writing Prompt Ideas for High School Students

Writing Prompt: Do we have too much stuff?

Writing Prompt Ideas for Language Arts Class

Writing Prompt: What scares you?

Writing Prompt Ideas about Goal Setting

Writing Prompt: When have you succeeded or failed at achieving a goal?

Writing Prompt Ideas about the Best Moments in Life

Writing Prompt: What was your biggest "Moment of Awesomeness" in your life?

Writing Prompt Ideas about Patriotism

Writing Prompt: What does "Patriotism" mean to you?

Writing Prompt Ideas about Summer

Writing Prompt: How do you hope to make your summer an unforgettable one?

Writing Prompt Ideas - Writing About Your Parents

Writing Prompt: Share a special memory about your mother, grandmother, or an important woman in your life.

Writing Prompt Ideas about Current Events and News Stories

Writing Prompt: What news stories are teenagers most passionate about, and why?

Writing Prompt Ideas about Having No Fear

Writing Prompt: When have you applied the phrase "No Fear" in your life?

Writing Prompt Ideas about TV Shows

Writing Prompt: Why can't you turn away from your favorite TV show?

Writing Prompt Ideas Teens and Guns

Writing Prompt: Where do we go after Newtown?

Writing Prompt Ideas

Writing Prompt: How will you be the change?

Writing Prompt Ideas

Writing Prompt: What was the most inspirational or important book you've ever read?

Writing Prompt Ideas

Writing Prompt: How have sports positively or negatively shaped traditions in your family?

Writing Prompt Ideas

Writing Prompt: Share a story about what one political issue is most important to you.

Writing Prompt Ideas

Writing Prompt: Share a story of a song that played an important role during a unique time in your life.

Writing Prompt Ideas

Writing Prompt: How has nature inspired you?

Writing Prompt Ideas

Writing Prompt: What do you attribute to the decline of teen pregnancies?

Writing Prompt Ideas

Writing Prompt: What movie has made the biggest difference in your life?

Writing Prompt Ideas

Writing Prompt: Dedicate a poem to someone who matters.

Writing Prompt Ideas

Writing Prompt: What's your definition of love?

Writing Prompt Ideas

Writing Prompt: Who would you nominate as the Person to Watch for the current year? 

Writing Prompt Ideas

Writing Prompt: What issue or cause should receive its own "awareness" month?

Writing Prompt Ideas

Writing Prompt: Do you trust our institutions to keep us safe? 

Writing Prompt Ideas

Writing Prompt: Think back to a favorite class or educator (teacher/coach/director/principal). How did this person make a positive impact in your life? 

Writing Prompt Ideas

Writing Prompt: Write a letter to yourself with the intention that you'll be reading this again at the end of the school year.  Think about your goals, where your head is now, and where you hope to be in 10 months. 

Writing Prompt Ideas

Writing Prompt:  Have you ever been bullied, teased or picked on?  If so, about what?

Writing Prompt Ideas

Writing Prompt: What stresses you out, and how do you cope with that stress?

Writing Prompt Ideas

Writing Prompt:  What are you most thankful for?

Writing Prompt Ideas

Writing Prompt: What is your relationship with money?  How do you spend (or save) and why?

Writing Prompt Ideas

Writing Prompt:  Who is your hero?

Writing Prompt Ideas

Writing Prompt: What suggestion(s) do you have to make a positive change at your school or with the educational system as a whole?

Writing Prompt Ideas

Writing Prompt:  What form of media impacts your life the most, and why?

Writing Prompt Ideas

Writing Prompt:  Is prom a negative or positive high school tradition?

Writing Prompt Ideas

Writing Prompt: What is one thing you don't know about your Mother or Father?

Writing Prompt Ideas

Writing Prompt:  What was the most difficult thing you overcame this (or last) school year?

Writing Prompt Ideas

Writing Prompt:  What organization, company, non-profit or 'cause' will help make the world a better place?

Writing Prompt Ideas

Writing Prompt:  What is the value of marriage?

Writing Prompt Ideas

Writing Prompt:  Do we have an obligation to take better care of ourselves by making changes in the way we eat and/or buy and consume food?

Writing Prompt Ideas

Writing Prompt: What is the most difficult thing (for you) about planning for or attending college?

Writing Prompt Ideas

Writing Prompt:  What is one behavior you can either change or incorporate into your daily life that will reduce our negative impact on the environment?