Mentor Texts - Good Essay Writing

Teen Mentor Texts - Good Essay Writing on StageofLife.comTeen Mentor Texts to accompany our free lesson plans and writing prompts

Below you will find student mentor text essays that corresponds to some of our past writing prompts used in StageofLife.com's national student writing contests.  These high school and college mentor texts are a resource to...
  • Provide a good essay example, in particular of how a student stylistically approached one of our essay writing prompts
  • Give your students insights into real life essays submitted by teen writers and bloggers participating in the StageofLife.com global writing project to create the world's largest collection of multi-generational stories.
  • See what interesting teens are saying about life!
Please check back regularly, the new teen or college essay contests and writing prompts will be posted on StageofLife.com as great examples of teen writing and mentor texts.

Examples of Good Teen Essay Writing - StageofLife.com  Print Mentor Texts

MENTOR TEXT ESSAY: What's one thing you don't know about your parents?

Topic: Parents
Title:  I’ve learned from my father always by tonytonycc

High School Writing ContestOn many an evening, my father, who is short and stout and enjoys tea out of teapots, jumps on a small trampoline in our living room for 30 to 45 minutes*. For exercise, he says. It’s just like running, he says. Remember when he jumped rope a few years ago? It’s almost as good as that, he says.

The week I came home from college last month, we were both in the living room, watching a Yankee game in our typical formation — I was on the couch, and he was burning calories, allegedly. Our conversation jumped around unremarkably, until one thing led to another, which led to something else, which led to my father stating that his grandfather had died while serving in World War II, during the siege in Sevastopol.

All I said was, “Oh.” I might have said, “Wow.” But that’s how it goes in my family**. While my parents go to yoga class and shop at Whole Foods and own an SUV, they can still be very un-American. We have never had Important Family Talks. Information about the past is revealed randomly and sparingly and only when there isn’t any way around it.

Read full essay...

MENTOR TEXT ESSAY:  What was the most difficult thing you overcame last year?

Topic: Teen Challenges
Title:  I overcame my first break up  by schoi94
High School Writing Contest Winner"A bacteria culture is placed under a strict controlled environment"

My swollen eyes glazed over the words for the seventh time, once again unable to absorb any of the meaning. I took a deep breath and tried again.

"A bacteria culture is placed—"

It was no use. My eyes were already wandering over to the clock by the time I got to the fifth word.

10:32
Read full essay...

MENTOR TEXT ESSAY:  Is prom a positive or negative teen tradition? (Example #1)

Topic: Prom
Title:  Catching a Fairytale by CiaoBella14

Student mentor text exampleIt’s almost April. The petit droplets from the sky begin to fall, creating a wet shine on the already glamorous month when people begin to obsess over prom. The hallway is full of excitement, students chirping gossip back and forth about who’s asking who. But the excitement doesn’t end here; awareness about the amazing night of prom has spread to kids at younger and younger ages.

Read full essay...

MENTOR TEXT ESSAY:  Is prom a positive or negative teen tradition?  (Example #2)

Topic: Prom
Title:  To Go or Not to Go by Williamgage2011

Example of strong teen essay writing skills - StageofLife.comTo Prom, or not to Prom, that is the question: Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to suffer the tuxes and dresses of outrageous fashion or to take naps in the seas of laziness, and by opposing, end it. To dance – to sleep – all night; and by a sleep to say we end the headache, and the thousand unnatural moves that feet aren’t heir to. ‘Tis an abomination devoutly to be wished. To dance – to sleep. To sleep – perchance to dream: ay, there’s the limo!

Read full essay...

MENTOR TEXT ESSAY:  What is the value of marriage?  (Example #1)

Topic: Marriage
Title:  You’re Stuck With Me by kaleighsomers

High School Writing ContestThe fact that people even propose the question of marriage having any value troubles me. It's the same reason I began blogging for The Good Woman Project back in early February. I knew that someone out there had lost hope in the big M word. And that was not okay with me.

My parents have been married 26 years. They met in high school, dated through college, and ended up with two crazy daughters that made them want to pull their hair out. But now they're empty nesters and my impression is that they're loving it.

Go ahead and groan. Let it all out.

Done?

Read full essay...

MENTOR TEXT ESSAY:  What is the value of marriage?  (Example #2)

Topic: Marriage
Title:  Let Me Keep My Childhood Dream by purpleoveralls
High School Writing Contest"Oh, I don't believe in marriage." The first time I heard my friend say those words with such an air of apathy, I was completely shocked. Marriage isn't Santa Claus; how do you not believe in it? Then I realized many others shared my friend's philosophy, calling marriage an overrated, capitalistic institution that usually resulted in divorce anyway.

Read full essay...

MENTOR TEXT ESSAY:  What organization, company, non-profit or 'cause' will help make the world a better place?

Topic: Making a Difference
Title:  To Write Love On Her Arms promotes more than ink poisoning by writexmusic

High School Writing ContestWelcome to my life.

I’m your stereotypical sixteen-year-old girl, stressing about school and college, hanging out with her friends, trying to find a boyfriend, rebelling against her parents, ignoring her siblings, and discovering her passion and life dreams (cliché, right?)

Except, there is a twist.

I live in a town where the suicide rate is well above average. In 2008, a local teenager hung himself and a mother burned herself alive (and that’s a lot considering I live in a town of about 10,000.)

Although I didn’t know either of them, a related problem has occurred in my life.

Cutting.

Read full essay...

MENTOR TEXT ESSAY:  What is your relationship with money?  How do you spend (or save) and why?

Topic: Money
Title:  Affinity Gone Awry by ishmealarmaggedon

High School Writing ContestDear Money,

You’re a two-timing lousy piece of paper. I’ve tried saving you my entire life (and trust me, it’s no easy feat). And through all that time, you have the gall to inform me that you’ve been around in other people’s pants? What is this? Has my lifelong relationship with you been a sham? I thought we had something special. But I guess I was wrong. And the worst part of this whole ordeal is your blatant apathy. You never cared about me (or anybody else for that matter) as much as I cherished you.

Read full essay...

MENTOR TEXT ESSAY:  What form of media impacts your life the most, and why?

Topic: Media
Title:  I Like it Black, White, and Read All Over by sissysulli

High School Writing ContestThere’s advertising, broadcast, digital, electronic, hyper-, mass, multi-, news, and social media. To name a few. But squeezed into dusty corners reserved for antediluvian ancients like myself, there’s also a kind of media that is often forgotten in the seizure-inducing haze of disco-reminiscent electronica clouding the media horizon: print media.

Print media influences me above and beyond any other form of media. It remains the oldest form of media, stemming back to 3500 BC when cylinder seals were still used in ancient Mesopotamia and the iPhone would have been worshiped as a glowing god sent from the gates of heaven. It’s through print media that we can look back through time and study Plato’s view on philosophy, Plutarch’s comparison of Greek and Roman heroes, Shakespeare’s soliloquies, and Dickinson’s scribbled poetry.

It’s through print media that we delve into worlds, lives, thoughts, and beliefs not our own. It’s through print media that humanity is bound together in one common love of knowledge, learning, and legacy. As a child, it was not with an iPod or a laptop that I curled into the boughs of the Bradford pear tree in the backyard, but rather with Johnny Tremain and Huckleberry Finn.

As I grew older, my companions evolved into Robinson Crusoe, Lily Bart, Oliver Twist, Jane Eyre, and Bartleby the Scrivener.

Read full essay...

MENTOR TEXT ESSAY: What are you thankful for?

Topic: Gratitude
Title:  I’m Thankful for Quiet by jasoncaleb

High School Writing ContestIt’s quiet here, in this college library, where I sit and write without interruptions. Peace, quiet, contentment: these three things I cannot take for granted. I say this because I know all too well the chaos, the stress, and the realness of what goes on outside this sanctuary of tranquil solitude. Beyond this building there is a commotion going on with people trying to get to work, there are wars going on in distant places, and there is strife between men. But here, there is peace, there is quiet, and I feel content.

I am a twenty-four year old freshman college student. I’ve had a late start it seems like, yet in a way, I feel that it was necessary for me to put off academia until now, because now I can appreciate it in a better way. For four and a half years I served in the United States Marine Corps. Within that time I went on two seven-month long deployments to Iraq and one deployment to Afghanistan. Between these deployments I trained, tried to have a personal life, succeeded in getting married, and fortunately I survived to see my wife again and to move on with a new life with her.

Read full essay...

MENTOR TEXT ESSAY:  What stresses you out, and how do you cope with that stress?

Topic: Stress
Title:  The Future by Nguyelil001

High School Writing ContestStress. A word I know all too well. Words can’t even describe what makes my head spin and stomach twist when I’m approached by a deadline, or even the thought of graduating high school. What makes me stressed out can all be expressed in one word: the future.

While I’m comfortably sitting in front of my modest Dell desktop computer, penning this fine piece of literature (I’m totally kidding), my own mother starts lecturing me of what I am to do with the gift God has given me. I simply give her my first thoughts: “I really enjoy playing the guitar and writing short stories.”

Her face fades from an optimistic glow to a dim candle of remorse. While her big smile slowly becomes flat-lined, she replies, “Uhmmm, I think those types of things would be better suited for a side project or a hobby.”

She then starts listing off professions more suited for what fits her idea of success. Doctors, lawyers, architects, and pharmacists are a few jobs that seem to meet her standards. At this point, I wouldn’t dare express my dreams of living in New York, writing for Saturday Night Live, yelling at Yankees games, playing small gigs and folding my pizza in half--- Brooklyn style.

Read full essay...

MENTOR TEXT ESSAY:   Who is your hero?

Topic: Heroes
Title:  My Hero is Friedl Dicker-Brandeis by EcoFaery

High School Writing ContestOn October 9th, 1944, a remarkable woman died in the Nazi gas chambers. She is not only my hero, but she was a hero in one of the truest senses of the word.

In 1942, she and her husband Pavel were taken by the Nazis to Terezin Concentration Camp with a limited amount of baggage. Many people brought clothing, special belongings and valuables with them. But Friedl thought not of her own needs, but of the needs of the children who would be interned with her. They would be lonely, frightened, angry and sad, and they would need a way to express those feelings.

Friedl was a talented artist. She had studied many different art forms for years, everything from textiles and bookbinding to watercolor and charcoal. And so naturally she stuffed her bags with art supplies and used art to help the children. Unbeknownst to the Nazis, Friedl and the other teachers interned at Terezin taught children forbidden subjects. Friedl helped the children to escape from the harsh world and retreat to a world of creativity, and, unlike the other teachers, she did it for free.

Read full essay...

MENTOR TEXT ESSAY:  What suggestion(s) do you have to make a positive change at your school or with the educational system as a whole?

Topic: Education
Title:  An Educational Renaissance by jakeethe

High School Writing ContestPerhaps I'm the only one who notices the increasing disinterest in education in my school. Or, perhaps, I'm merely overreacting to its inevitability. Maybe it's the brief conversations containing multitudes of grammatical errors that I often hear throughout the hallways, or the numerous students who admit to not caring about school that have led me to this conclusion: The majority of teenagers have lost interest in school as a source of knowledge.

There is no need to take my word for it. Take a glance at the 300+ people at my school on Facebook chat in comparison to the 90 that have stayed after school for extracurricular activities. Observe the increasing number of parents appeasing their children with cash or new cell phones for sub-par grades. Listen to the two troublemakers in the back of the classroom that would rather chat about what parties they plan on attending this weekend than acknowledge the teacher's presence. As a site of social gathering, school has remained prominent. As a site of learning however, school has become nearly obsolete.

Read full essay...

MENTOR TEXT ESSAY:  Do we have an obligation to take better care of ourselves by making changes in the way we eat and/or buy and consume food?

Topic: Food
Title:  Necessity or Excuse? by ACstudent

High School Writing ContestI have been a bit overweight for a while now, basically since the 4th grade.

At first, I was told, “don’t worry sweetheart, it’s just baby fat. It’ll go away as you grow.” But all of the excuses I had made for myself in middle school failed. I was caught in this perpetual cycle of unhappiness. I didn’t want to be big, so I ate my feelings, but obviously that emotional trickery was causing the problem to begin with. I had been fed statistic after statistic, but simply couldn’t get the motivation I was looking for from myself.

I thought about why the rate of obesity was increasing to begin with. Did people care less about weight? Did people now ignore their appearances? Why was it that people ignored the risks and damages or being overweight and simply continued on with their dangerous lifestyles?

And then I found the statistic that explained it all: “obesity is more than twice as common among women in lower socioeconomic groups as among women in higher ones.”

The reasoning behind this is that people in lower socioeconomic groups aren’t looking to spend a ton of money at Whole Foods when they can easily go to the nearest fast-food restaurant and pick up the same amount for a lot less. If anything, obesity speaks more of the economic turmoil this nation suffers than the lack of motivation or lethargy people are accused of. So if the health risks aren’t enough to make one change his or her mind about eating habits, than you may just be tackling the wrong issue first.

Read full essay...

MENTOR TEXT ESSAY:  What is one behavior you can either change or incorporate into your daily life that will reduce our negative impact on the environment?

Topic: Environment
Title:  Oil Spill: Preserving Nature’s Splendor by mchao31

High School Writing Contest“Thank God men cannot fly, and lay waste the sky as well as the earth.” As evident through Henry David Thoreau’s saying, human waste and pollution existed even in the nineteenth century. Throughout time, we learned to reduce our footprint on the Earth. Increasing trends of global warming have alerted many people to adjust their lives in order to save themselves. However, even to this day, some people still exhibit a flagrant disregard for the planet, and the consequences are apparent. In order to save our planet’s environment, as well as our own hides, society must consider being less wasteful.

It may seem obvious that being wasteful is a key contributor to Earth’s demise, but one can easily prove otherwise. Two things that people often take for granted are oil and water. According to statistics involving the oil usage throughout the world, the United States of America ranks in at first place with a whopping twenty million barrels used daily. China, the preceding country, uses only seven million barrels daily, and the population of China is four times that of the United States. Despite the fact that the United States uses the most oil, the world must realize a group effort is required to lessen their oil usage as well. Sure enough, the United States needs to reduce oil consumption. For example, there exists various means at our hands which can lessen our impact on the world such as: solar energy, wind energy, or even water energy. With BP’s recent and on-going oil spill epidemic, citizens need to seriously consider a change of plans in the near future. This oil spill drastically affects marine life as it spreads throughout the water.

Read full essay...

MENTOR TEXT ESSAY:  What is the most difficult thing (for you) about college?

Topic: College
Title:  We Don’t Reach All Our Goals by sean_wang

High School Writing ContestDisappointment – my greatest fear in the world. It is a mental plague, a malicious demon in the obscurities of my mind. It chops me down from my lofty heights, cleaves me open with the painful axe of failed expectations, and erodes me away until nothing is left but sawdust. It shuts the lights whenever I conjure a bright idea, sneering as I crawl pathetically in the dark in desperate search of self-approval. There is no greater pain than its intangible sting, no worse feeling than the bitter realization of falling short. I cannot stand the truth, that I practiced for weeks but missed the target, that I trained for years but lost in the first round, that I pushed my physical being to its limit and forced the efforts of an eternity through the lifeblood of my soul, but still never reached my goals. I can pretend all I want, ponder all that could have and should have happened, but reality is cruel; dreams do not always come true.

Some people dream of attending college. They yearn for an education because they desire its boundless benefits: its potential to craft economic stability, its prestige as a source of family and social pride, its practicality in teaching essential technical skills, and its unquestionable ability to put limitless joy in life. These diligent men, women, and young adults are motivated to study and prioritize their schooling. They persistently chew their way through textbooks so they can one day emerge from the cocoon and enjoy the high skies of education. They forgo luxuries and work multiple jobs so they can save hard-earned money for tuition. Students like Shane Burrows and Kathryn McCormick work their butts off, yet there is no guarantee that they will succeed. But what force holds them back? What barrier prevents them from reaching that mountain top, from becoming college graduates?

Read full essay...

Educational Resources and Free Lesson Plans

Free Writing Resources for Students

The below Stage of Life teen writing contests, teen trend reports, etiquette Q&A, and teacher resources have been mentioned by...

With over half a million teachers, professors, teens, college students, and parents visiting StageofLife.com each school year, we make it a priority to create the best free writing resources for students and teachers.  We are a grassroots writing initiative founded with a mission to get people of all ages writing, and in particular encouraging students to write outside of the classroom...

Teen Writing Contest

National Student Writing Contests

• Encourage your students to enter our free, monthly national writing contest for high school students and college students.
  • Our essay winners have received mentions by the media including TIME.com, Mint Education, and more.
  • Essay contest topics deal with real-world issues.
  • Great practice for AP Test, SAT test, college essay writing, and more.
  • View Details, Summaries and more About Our Writing Contests
  • View Current Writing Contest

Enter Teen Writing Contest
  Contact Us with questions about our writing contests

Short Short Story writing contest on StageofLife.com and Twitter 

"Short Short Story" Writing Contest - Twitter

• Don't have time to write a 500 word essay?  How creative can your students be in 127 characters?  StageofLife.com hosts a monthly writing contest on Twitter with real prizes each month.
  • Have your students take 5 minutes and try their best at this creative, but frustrating, writing contest exercise.
Enter Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com

Word of the Day - Vocab Exercise

Word of the Day

• We featured a new vocab word each day
  • Use our Word of the Day as inspiration for a personal essay or blog post on StageofLife.com
  • Teachers and educators can integrate the vocabulary in their classroom activities or ask the students to use the word in a free-write activity.
StageofLife.com's word of the day

Classroom writing exercises and ideas

Notes to the Teacher

Notes to the Teacher - Writing Exercises

Homeschool Writing Resources

Homeschooling Writing Resources

• Our writing resources are great for the classroom, but if you're a homeschooling student or parent, check out our free, homeschooling writing resources.
  • Writing contests, educational resources, and homeschooling resources are updated here...
Homeschooling Writing Resources

Free classroom poster

Classroom Poster

• We've created a 18" x 12" color poster for high school or college classrooms.
  • We only charge for the shipping fee
  • We've sent out over 500 posters to Language Arts, Creative Writing, and English Teachers!
Get free writing poster for your classroom

Print mini-poster now
Questions about our poster?

Introduction to Blogging Lesson Plans

Introduction to Student Blogging

• Get the 101 on blogging
  • Digital literacy - why blogging is important for the classroom
  • Our Blogging Lesson Plans include activities such as...
    1. Blogging Basics lesson plan
    2. Values & Beliefs lesson plan
    3. Reflection & Wisdom lesson plan
    4. Life stage interview lesson plan
    5. Food, Health & Writing lesson plan
    6. Heroes lesson plan
    7. Teen stress lesson plan
Blogging lesson plans on StageofLife.com
  Print blogging lesson plans Print Blogging Lesson Plans
Contact Us about our Student Blogging Resources

Mentor Texts and Essay Examples

Mentor Texts

• Use our past student winners as good examples of essay writing, i.e. Mentor Texts
  • Our teen writing winners provide excellent essay examples of authentic voice and utilizing a stylistic point of view
  • Read past writing contest winners and finalists by visiting our Teen Trends reports
  • View Mentor Texts
Examples of good essay writing -- mentor texts
  Print Mentor Texts  Print Mentor Texts
  Contact Us with questions about our mentor texts

Teen Trends 

Teen Trend Reports

• Over 400,000 teenagers, college students, and teachers visit StageofLife.com each year to either read or submit an essay.
  • Because of these visits, we are able to pull together full teen trend reports from our national writing contests and survey results on topics ranging from sports to politics to nature to bullying and more.
  • You'll also find in each report links to the relevant student essays, all grouped by topic.
  • View Teen Trends

View StageofLife.com Teen Trend Reports
  Contact Us for more information about our monthly teen trend reports

Teen Writing Workshops

Writing Conferences and Workshops for Teenagers

Teen writing conferences and workshops
Contact Us to add your Writing Conferences or Workshop to our list

Essay Writing Prompts

Writing Prompts

• Are you looking for ideas on though-provoking writing prompts for your Creative Writing, English or Language Arts classes?
  • We have scores of writing prompts that deal with real-world issues important to teens
  • Each prompt came from one of the previous Stage of Life national student essay contests
  • Mentor texts, lesson plans and summary pages are provided as appropriate
  • View Writing Prompts
Ideas for writing prompts
  Print Writing Prompts  Print Writing Prompts   Contact Us to submit writing prompts

Library Resources on StageofLife.com 

Library Resources

• As a free literacy initiative, Stage of Life features blogs, articles, statistics, trends, resources and information about libraries
  • View our Library Resources
   Library Resources on StageofLife.com Contact Stage of Life Contact Us about our Library Resources

Common Core State Standards

English and Language Arts Common Core State Standards

• Stage of Life mapped its digital literacy activities to the Common Core State Standards
  • Get ideas on how Stage of Life fits many of the Language Arts State Standards, both for those states using the Common Core State Standards and those using their own.
  • View the Stage of Life and Language Arts State Standards Mapping

Common Core mapping on StageofLife.com Contact Stage of Life Contact Us about our Common Core and State Standards mapping

New Journalism - Use Blogging to Conduct Interviews 

Interviews - Students Use Blogging as Form of New Journalism

• Interviewing a professor or teacher, celebrity, band, government official, or really anyone for that matter, is a great way for students to use blogging to explore "new journalism" formats and techniques
  • View our blog interview example
Example of Blog Interview - StageofLife.com

How Would Teens Improve Education

How Would Students Improve Education?

How would teens improve education?
  Print Free Goal Setting Worksheet  Print Teens and Education press release   Contact Us with comments about how students can improve their schools

Student goal setting

Goal Setting Worksheet

• Help your students set goals
  • Our Stage of Life Goal Setting Worksheet can be used as an in-class activity or as a take-home assignment
  • Educators are encouraged to use it themselves as a personal or professional tool too
  • View Goal Setting Worksheet
Goal setting worksheet
  Print Free Goal Setting WorksheetPrint Goal Setting Worksheet
  Contact Us with questions about our free goal setting worksheet

Teacher Appreciation

Teacher Appreciation

• View over 180 positive essays written by teens about their teachers
  • Read the five positive relationship benefits good teachers bring to their students
  • Get the latest trends on teens and how they communicate
  • View Teacher Appreciation page
Teacher Appreciation
  How do teens communicate? Print Teen Communication Trends
  Contact Us about our Teacher Appreciation efforts

Teens Making the World a Better Place

• Utilize our "Making the World a Better Place" writing prompt to get students thinking and writing about how they can change the world and make a difference
  • Read past student essays about making the world a better place
  • Ask your class to explore the list of student-nominated, "making a difference" organizations by our teen bloggers and writers - maybe they have their own cause to add to the list?
  • View Making the World a Better Place
Making the world a better place on StageofLife.com
  Be The Change lessonPrint press release
  Contact Us with questions about our Making the World a Better Place initiative

Inspirational Videos

• Watch our collection of inspirational videos sourced from YouTube
  • After watching the videos, ask your students blog on StageofLife.com about how they intend to change the world or be a positive change in the world.
  • View Inspirational Videos

Inspirational videos for teachers to use in the classroom
  Contact Us with an inspirational video for teens or teachers

Digital Literacy

Digital Literacy - Using Blogs in the Classroom

• Hear from our panel of experts who use blogging in the classroom
  • Get tips on how to increase your students' digital literacy by incorporating technology into the classroom
  • View Digital Literacy experts
  • View latest trends on Teen Communication

Digital Literacy
  Contact Us about Digital Literacy

Health effects of writing

Health and Writing

• Read about the positive health effects of blogging and writing
  • Help your students reduce teen stress through journaling, blogging or writing
  • View Writing is Healthy

Writing is healthy
  Contact Us to add resources about how writing is healthy

Why Educators Use Stage of Life®

• Six Reasons Educators Use StageofLife.com in the Classroom...
    1. Free
    2. Unlimited essay storage
    3. Interactive blog platform
    4. It's about the writing
    5. Customized for teachers
    6. Real World writing prompts
  • View our Educational Resources Overview
Six reasons to use StageofLife.com

Authors & Celebrities 

• Authors and Celebrities share their stories with Stage of Life regarding advice for teen writers
    • Susan Woolridge, author of Poemcrazy
    • Michael Patrick Walker, songwriter and co-author of "Alter Boyz"
    • James Kristofic, author of Navajos Wear Nikes: A Reservation Life

Writers and Poets on StageofLife.com  Contact Us if you know an author or celebrity who has writing advice for teens

Susan Wooldridge

Poem Writing Tips

• Tips for writing poetry from author of Poemcrazy, Susan Wooldridge
  • View Poem Writing Tips

Poem writing tips from StageofLife.com
 Contact Us to add poem writing resources

Education partnerships 

Education Resource Partners

Stage of Life has been fortunate to either work directly with or referenced by influencial organizations, schools, non-profits and programs who see a value in our mission to improve digital literacy and have a like-minded mission to support students, teachers and educational initiatives.

A few examples of our educational partnerships or features...
  • NCTE - Stage of Life was an exhibitor at the 2013 NCTE Annual Convention in Boston.  Hundreds of high school Language Arts teachers and college English professors stopped by to meet our VP of Education, Rebecca Thiegs, and pick up our classroom writing contest poster.
  • Teach.com - inspirational resource for anyone currently teaching or thinking about becoming a teacher.  Our very own Stage of Life education consultant, Rebecca, was featured on the Teach.com blog.
  • Mint Education - helping teach students about financial literacy.  Mint featured several of our Stage of Life student blogs about money.
  • Lancaster Museum of Art - Stage of Life CEO, Eric Thiegs, was invited by the LMAPA to present a seminar to teens on the power of writing and artistic collaboration.
  • Tech.IT.U - Stage of Life CEO, Eric Thiegs, was a featured speaker on "the Benefits of Teen Blogging" at the Penn State York sponsored Tech.It.U conference.
  • PCTELA - "Voices of Literacy" Conference - Stage of Life co-Founders, Eric & Rebecca Thiegs, were featured session speakers on "Extending Writing Outside the Classroom Through Blogging" at the 2012 PCTELA conference (Pennsylvania Council of Teachers for English and Language Arts).

Coupons for Teachers

Up to 50% Off Discounts for Teachers

Because of the generous support of our national education sponsors, our Stage of Life members can save up to 50% off at many top brands and retailers.  Check out Stage of Life's free My Life Rewards® program to find great coupons and discounts for teachers to save money inside the classroom and out!

Discounts and coupons for teachers  Contact Us about our discounts and coupons for teachers

Contact UsPlease check back often: these pages are regularly updated with new material and ideas.  Our door at Stage of Life is always open: if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, feel free to contact us!

Education and Writing Consultant

Contact Rebecca - Stage of Life blogging consultantThe above teen blogging and writing prompt ideas were developed by Rebecca Thiegs, M.Ed. 

She is the resident, educational consultant for Stage of Life and welcomes feedback on this Language Arts blogging curriculum; in particular, which parts worked best for you.

Becky Thiegs, M.Ed

Rebecca earned her Masters of English Education from the University of Minnesota and has spent the last 15 years teaching high school English, Language Arts, Creative Writing and Public Speaking in a wide range of schools from an urban setting in Minneapolis to an affluent suburb of Philadelphia to a rural, small town in York County, PA.  In addition to her high school teaching career, Rebecca was a senior curriculum consultant for McDaniel College as part of their Summer Enrichment Program through a partnership with the DC Success Foundation, an initiative supported by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.  She sits on the board of her local library, is a certified Writing Fellow from the National Writing Project, serves as the guest book blogger for her local newspaper, lived in London England, and is the passionate mother of two. 

Rebecca is available to speak or consult on Language Arts educational trends and in particular, teen blogging and getting writing out of the classroom.