Writing Community about Weddings

Share Your Wedding or Engagement Story

Weddings:  Share your Engagement or Wedding Story.

Stage of Life® is a free blogging community for anyone thinking about, planning or recently having had a wedding.  Get involved with our writing mission by sharing your experiences from your own wedding or engagement or others you've witnessed.  Whether you're thinking about asking that special someone to marry you, recently engaged or having your wedding tomorrow, we look forward to reading your essays and hearing your thoughts about weddings!  Get started now...

Enter StageofLife.com teen writing contest Twitter Contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for weddings on StageofLife.com
Enter the monthly national wedding writing contest: August 2015

"Family Vacations"
Don't have time to blog today?
Enter our new, "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.
Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com
Wedding discounts:  Save up to 20% on Lenovo laptops and more!
Papa John's coupon code from StageofLife.com     Lenovo computer discount for Stage of Life members

Recent Writing Contest Winners

Winning Essay WritersWinning Writing Contest EssaysBefore you scroll down to read the essays, stories, and blogs being submitted to StageofLife.com, let's celebrate the recent writing contest winners.  We select one essay each month from across all of the non-student life stages to win our monthly blogging contests

Basically...these winning essays are selected from all of you "grown-ups" out there writing on Stage of Life...

Past Writing Contest Winners

Wedding Stories

January 1, 2015, marked 21st of our wedding anniversary. On that day, I promised to go forward without looking back, prepared to face the rigors of marriage and settle as a responsible man. Before then finding or choosing the right woman to be my future partner was like a nightmare, taking into consideration the number of people getting divorce everyday after tying the knot.Yes! It’s very common to see hundreds of couples at wedding ceremonies, particularly on Sundays, mak...
Recently I was asked to help coordinate a wedding for friends of mine. I was also an invited guest, which made for a full afternoon and evening of celebration. As most readers know, I am somewhat of a traditionalist when it comes to protocol and etiquette. However, a wedding is one area where flexibility is much more the rule than the exception.I very much enjoyed my time at this wedding, most of all because when I departed for the night, I had a warm feeling that this un...
I've been friends with my sister in law since junior high school. Her husband left her for a wealthy women and changed his career in a way so that he did not need to pay child or spousal support. For years my sister in law would sit in my home crying and worried how she would support her kids. I attended multiple court dates with her through out. During those years she would have some drama with the new wife. The kids are adults now and one is getting married. Recently my sis...
Once upon a time, there was a bride and a groom. The groom was wise enough to celebrate his bachelor party a couple of weeks before the wedding, but the bride was careless enough to have hers right on the eve of the celebration. It’s good she did though – there would have been no wedding story without it. So, the bachelorette party had all traditional components – a sk...
“Pick a song we can dance to at the wedding,” my soon-to-be-married son Spike instructed me. “Keep it short.” My unenthusiastic response, “OK.” I had always assumed my child would love to pick that song himself--to show how much our relationship meant to him. “One more reason to feel left out of this whole wedding,” I grumbled to myself. Mothers of sons know what to expect if/when their sons find a bride. Thirty years ago, my brother’s wife told my mom ...
An exquisite matrimony hits the season’s chart like nothing else. All the uncles and aunties get ready with the best sets of clothes and accessories for the season’s most awaited wedding and what dazzles the guests more than gold is the amazing food platter. Deciding between a buffet system and a sit-down meal can be confusing for most of us. So, here is a comparison between the two to make the choice easier for you-1. BudgetBe a smart host and NEVER lose sight of you...
There’s An App for That: Meant To Be WeddingBy Maria Solita Zaldivar-GuzmanOur wedding is almost 5 years in the making and with that, I have proven that the best things happen to those who hold a fervent hope in their hearts and wait patiently for it to happen.Ours is not a conventional love story, having met on Facebook in 2010 and accidentally meeting in a bar one night. We became an official couple via SMS and in the same manner, he casually proposed to me two months...
It happens pretty rarely that a groom is genuinely involved in the wedding planning process. Typically, grooms are asked not to dabble in and stand aside cakes, napkin and flower colors and other wedding decisions. How sad is that! In reality, family consultants believe that bride's and groom's tight collaboration in wedding planning makes their r...
Nothing in life could have prepared me for love. It's selfless, ravishing, and completely spontaneous. One cannot simple look for it, for it finds you when you least expect it. The night my life changed forever, was such a beautiful becoming. We took a long canoe ride down a peaceful river, stopping once for a picnic, and then my boyfriend cooked a delicious gourmet dinner for me in a tie. As I look across the kitchen at him, I realized that someday I would, without a doub...
My husband and I have been married 20 years and we have a 17 year old son. We have always been active in his daughters life but she never lived with us. She and her mom and I have always been cordial but never close. I have always supported a relationship between her and my husband and her little brother(my son). She is now 30 and planning her wedding. There has always been uncomfortableness at family gatherings because I was seen as the reason hubby and ex never reunited(the...
I have been looking forward and ahead toward bringing my bride home,I couldn't wait for the wedding day to come,but at last it came like a running hare.On that day i could still remember what i did and what i faced,firstly i got myself dressed up,secondly gift were packed into the cars,then lastly we drove to the event venue,I would have met my bride there but unfortunately for me, she wasn't there.The weeding will commerce soon``the pastor said.Then what could be wro...
He popped the question on his birthday. Valentines day to be exact. It was freezing but I didn't care. The love of my life had just asked me to be his wife. The next day all I could hear was "have you set a date?" . My answer was obviously no. Im just enjoying the moment. Of course I think about the perfect setting and the perfect day. It would be warm outside, a sunset and rose pedals on the ground. Not everything always goes as planned. I've excepted that no matter if it ra...
My brother has finally decided to make changes in his life and move country in order to find a job and be closer to his girlfriend. It's a big step for him and I want to support him and make him feel happy in his decisions. The problem that i'm having is that my boyfriend is constantly bringing up small things that are annoying him about my brother and I believe them to be pretty insignificant. He's obsessed with my brother staying up later than us (we go to bed at 10 as we g...
Hi my name is Taneika and my fiancee name is Anthony, I'm applying for this give away for starters we have been struggling for some time now. I lost both of my brothers at an early age and the storms continue to come my way, we are truly in love and it's a match made in heaven. We have had our ups and downs but we continue to keep our faith and trust that the Lord makes no mistakes in this life. I am truly blessed to have found my king and him to find his queen, we really wan...
Fall weddings can be absolutely beautiful. The hustle and bustle of summer has relaxed into a season of gratitude for the bounty of the harvest. This easily translates into the bounty of close friends and family with whom many of us want to celebrate one of the most important days of our lives. Decorating with beautiful autumn colors, pumpkins, decorative gourds, and fall flowers such as Asters and Zinnias can make a beautiful seasonally colorful backdrop to your important ...
My hands are clammy. I sense the ivory fabric of my corset clamp down my breathing. The car window is open a crack for me to breathe in the recently mowed lawn of the park. White chairs are set up in the grass, forming an aisle of tension I would walk. The driver’s door slams shut but I don’t stare up. I’m focused, focused on the sweat on my palms. My dress isn't a solution for wiping- not with the beaded lace covering it like a frail spider web. Then there’s the Ford Mod...
So I did it. After a year of agonizing over every little detail, my dad walked me down the aisle and I married my high school sweetheart.All I can say is: whoa!Those close to me know I've spent the last few months in wedding planning frenzy (read: anxiety). I wish I could go back in time and tell myself to relax! Everything went perfectly and it was such a fun party. It was so great to see all of our friends and family laughing and dancing together. I expected some people...
This month I want to discuss thank you notes. In this age of high-speed communication, we are always looking for ways to economize our time. One way we think might be helpful is to use social media, emails, or texting to thank people for the gifts they have bestowed upon us to celebrate our nuptials. To be clear, this is neither appropriate nor acceptable. Thank you notes should be handwritten. Sadly, handwriting is a skill no longer taught in many schools. This is a traves...
Many couples want to celebrate their big day by giving their guests a gift to remember the occasion. This generous gesture signifies the gratitude they have for those who attended the wedding as well as the thanks they feel for their marriage to one another. The originality of these tokens can range from something as simple as a place card holder to a bottle of homemade wine or another personally crafted gift. Remember it is not the gift as much as the gesture that people w...
Weddings are a celebration if ever there was one! With almost all such celebrations, alcoholic beverages play a role. Barring the rare ‘dry’ wedding, champagne and open bars can become a major budgetary concern. Because of the high cost, some wedding hosts opt for a cash bar. Although this is a matter of personal choice, I think a cash bar at a private party is ill advised. However, the subject of this essay is the tip jar. I have attended numerous weddings where the hosts ...
I am writing this story in honor of one of my best friends who recently got engaged to get best friend! Her and I have been through the best and worst in life. There was a time when I had no address and she gave me hope. She gave me the determination to go back to college and get my degree.. Because of her constant faithful presence in my life I am now a nurse with a very promising future. I have a home and more then anything, I have a sister and best friend who I know I can ...
Originality is one of the wishes many couples want for their wedding. From a traditionalist’s point of view, I advise keeping originality to a dull roar; however, I helped coordinate a wedding recently that left me wondering about my own limiting beliefs and how they may have influenced decisions I have made over the years when advising young couples about their wedding plans. So right up front, I freely admit, I stand corrected! Here are a few details I had never considere...
My cousin is getting married July 14th and I am very excited! The official invitation arrived yesterday in the mail. They are both Penn State grads and hard core Nittany Lions fans, so of course their is no better location for their exchange of vows and reception than State College. They are college sweethearts and I can't wait for the occasion. From what they have shared so far the wedding is going to be very nontraditional and the bride is not wearing a white dress. I can't...
It all started when I went over to a friend’s house for a bbq on a Sunday night. My friend introduced me to everybody, but I only really noticed one person, Amanda, and I couldn’t take my eyes off of her. When I saw her, my eyes lit up and I'm sure I looked like a little kid in a candy shop. She was the most beautiful person I had ever seen in my life. The rest of the night I was glued by her side making small talk and making joke after joke just to hear her contagious l...
March came in like a lion and out pretty much the same way, with me having no good excuse for not contributing a column last month. This month of April however is a whole other matter. I am helping to coordinate a fairly large family wedding. By coordinate I mean being the etiquette cop to make sure the bridal party and invited guests get in and out of the venue in the right order, at the right time, and all smiling.My family comprises many moving parts, as there are multip...
What is the etiquette surrounding postponing nuptials? If the wedding date must be changed (not cancelled), by all means plan to send out a card as quickly as possible to let invited guests know of this change. It should be mailed on the same card stock and in the same typeface if at all possible. Alternatively, telephone calls or emails will suffice. This postponement is not a time to change the guest list or the venue for the reception, unless the venue must be changed for ...
If you're planning a wedding this year, the first port of call is to seek inspiration from the world of fashion, film and TV. Whether we do this to feel better about ourselves or if we do it because we love to revel in a world just out of our grasp; for whatever reason we love a celebrity wedding. What is more we love an over the top and ridiculously expensive celebrity wedding. So after the royal weddings which non-member of the celeb royal family pulled out all the stop...
[b]The new year is well under way and Christmas is all but a distant memory, which means only one thing: Valentine’s Day is almost upon us once more. That’s right, the day for lovers hits again on 14th February and couples the world over are hoping to celebrate in style. If you’re struggling for a way to say I love you like never before, why not take the plunge and book a romantic getaway for two? Here are the best destinations that all starcrossed lovers are sure to enjoy.[/...
Sitting in the middle of frigid temperatures and a storm warning, the idea of a lovely sun-filled day in the ideal place for your wedding may be quite a stretch. My research tells me that many couples decide to tie the knot over the Christmas season. Congratulations to all of you who have done just that!Picking a summer venue in the middle of winter is challenging unless you’ve been making plans well in advance. This is not a bad time to make your bookings however, because ...
Every girl dreams of a dashing man sweeping her off her feet and carrying her away into the sunset! So, why don’t you give your wife-to-be something along similar lines? Wedding car hire has been making dreams come true for ‘GUYS and GALS’ for many years now and you too can benefit from such services.What is Up for Hire?The choices for the wedding car rentals are too many to mention! You can choose from an expansive fleet of shiny and eye-catching 4-wheelers to make y...

Advertiser

Coupons for Life - 5% to 50% Off

As an educational writing initiative, StageofLife.com is fortunate to have the support of hundreds of brands who support this writing community and our literacy mission.  Because of that, you can save 5% to 50% off with Stage of Life's free My Life Rewards® program. 

Get discounts at Applebee's, Papa John's, Lenovo, AAMCO, and many more...

Applebee's gift card discountDiscount on pizza at PapaJohns.com from StageofLife.com Lenovo discount from StageofLife.com AAMCO auto discount from StageofLife.com