Writing Community about Weddings

Share Your Wedding or Engagement Story

Weddings:  Share your Engagement or Wedding Story.

Stage of Life® is a free blogging community for anyone thinking about, planning or recently having had a wedding.  Get involved with our writing mission by sharing your experiences from your own wedding or engagement or others you've witnessed.  Whether you're thinking about asking that special someone to marry you, recently engaged or having your wedding tomorrow, we look forward to reading your essays and hearing your thoughts about weddings!  Get started now...

Enter StageofLife.com teen writing contest Twitter Contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for weddings on StageofLife.com
Enter the monthly national wedding writing contest: Summer 2014

"YouTube in our Lives"
Don't have time to blog today?
Enter our new, "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.
Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com
Wedding discounts:  Save up to 20% on Lenovo laptops and more!
Papa John's coupon code from StageofLife.com     Lenovo computer discount for Stage of Life members

Best of our Bloggers

Recent Writing Contests - Winners

Before you scroll down to read the essays, stories, and blogs being submitted to StageofLife.com, let's celebrate the recent writing contest winners.  We select one essay each month from across all of the non-student life stages to win our monthly blogging contest.  Basically...these winning essays are selected from all of you "grown-ups" out there writing on Stage of Life.
Enter Writing ContestsCURRENT 2014 Writing Contests - All Life Stages - ENTER NOW...

Writing contest winnerMarch 2014 Writing Contest Winner

Writing Prompt:  "How has mental illness impacted your life?
Winning Essay: March Madness: Alone by lauren820
National Press Release:  Pending

Writing contest winnerFebruary 2014 Writing Contest Winner

Writing Prompt:  "What is the meaning of the Olympic Spirit?"
Winning Essay: The Olympic Spirit: Go For the Gold by Aprillw
National Press Release:  View Stage of Life press release

Writing contest winnerJanuary 2014 Writing Contest Winner

Writing Prompt:  "What are your hopes & fears for the new year?"
Winning Essay: Dear Peanut: I hope you never know by Melcol92

Writing Contest WinnersPAST CONTEST WINNERS:  Find the list of our writing contest winners on our Writing Contest Winners page.

Wedding Stories

Many couples want to celebrate their big day by giving their guests a gift to remember the occasion. This generous gesture signifies the gratitude they have for those who attended the wedding as well as the thanks they feel for their marriage to one another. The originality of these tokens can range from something as simple as a place card holder to a bottle of homemade wine or another personally crafted gift. Remember it is not the gift as much as the gesture that people w...
Weddings are a celebration if ever there was one! With almost all such celebrations, alcoholic beverages play a role. Barring the rare ‘dry’ wedding, champagne and open bars can become a major budgetary concern. Because of the high cost, some wedding hosts opt for a cash bar. Although this is a matter of personal choice, I think a cash bar at a private party is ill advised. However, the subject of this essay is the tip jar. I have attended numerous weddings where the hosts ...
I am writing this story in honor of one of my best friends who recently got engaged to get best friend! Her and I have been through the best and worst in life. There was a time when I had no address and she gave me hope. She gave me the determination to go back to college and get my degree.. Because of her constant faithful presence in my life I am now a nurse with a very promising future. I have a home and more then anything, I have a sister and best friend who I know I can ...
Originality is one of the wishes many couples want for their wedding. From a traditionalist’s point of view, I advise keeping originality to a dull roar; however, I helped coordinate a wedding recently that left me wondering about my own limiting beliefs and how they may have influenced decisions I have made over the years when advising young couples about their wedding plans. So right up front, I freely admit, I stand corrected! Here are a few details I had never considere...
My cousin is getting married July 14th and I am very excited! The official invitation arrived yesterday in the mail. They are both Penn State grads and hard core Nittany Lions fans, so of course their is no better location for their exchange of vows and reception than State College. They are college sweethearts and I can't wait for the occasion. From what they have shared so far the wedding is going to be very nontraditional and the bride is not wearing a white dress. I can't...
It all started when I went over to a friend’s house for a bbq on a Sunday night. My friend introduced me to everybody, but I only really noticed one person, Amanda, and I couldn’t take my eyes off of her. When I saw her, my eyes lit up and I'm sure I looked like a little kid in a candy shop. She was the most beautiful person I had ever seen in my life. The rest of the night I was glued by her side making small talk and making joke after joke just to hear her contagious l...
March came in like a lion and out pretty much the same way, with me having no good excuse for not contributing a column last month. This month of April however is a whole other matter. I am helping to coordinate a fairly large family wedding. By coordinate I mean being the etiquette cop to make sure the bridal party and invited guests get in and out of the venue in the right order, at the right time, and all smiling.My family comprises many moving parts, as there are multip...
What is the etiquette surrounding postponing nuptials? If the wedding date must be changed (not cancelled), by all means plan to send out a card as quickly as possible to let invited guests know of this change. It should be mailed on the same card stock and in the same typeface if at all possible. Alternatively, telephone calls or emails will suffice. This postponement is not a time to change the guest list or the venue for the reception, unless the venue must be changed for ...
If you're planning a wedding this year, the first port of call is to seek inspiration from the world of fashion, film and TV. Whether we do this to feel better about ourselves or if we do it because we love to revel in a world just out of our grasp; for whatever reason we love a celebrity wedding. What is more we love an over the top and ridiculously expensive celebrity wedding. So after the royal weddings which non-member of the celeb royal family pulled out all the stop...
[b]The new year is well under way and Christmas is all but a distant memory, which means only one thing: Valentine’s Day is almost upon us once more. That’s right, the day for lovers hits again on 14th February and couples the world over are hoping to celebrate in style. If you’re struggling for a way to say I love you like never before, why not take the plunge and book a romantic getaway for two? Here are the best destinations that all starcrossed lovers are sure to enjoy.[/...
Sitting in the middle of frigid temperatures and a storm warning, the idea of a lovely sun-filled day in the ideal place for your wedding may be quite a stretch. My research tells me that many couples decide to tie the knot over the Christmas season. Congratulations to all of you who have done just that!Picking a summer venue in the middle of winter is challenging unless you’ve been making plans well in advance. This is not a bad time to make your bookings however, because ...
Every girl dreams of a dashing man sweeping her off her feet and carrying her away into the sunset! So, why don’t you give your wife-to-be something along similar lines? Wedding car hire has been making dreams come true for ‘GUYS and GALS’ for many years now and you too can benefit from such services.What is Up for Hire?The choices for the wedding car rentals are too many to mention! You can choose from an expansive fleet of shiny and eye-catching 4-wheelers to make y...
At this point in my life I feel like everybody around me is getting engaged and making wedding plans. Every time I turn around, it seems like someone else is on bended knee, proposing. Personally, I have not actually been to many weddings yet (though I foresee that changing in the future), but it seems like an awful lot of trouble based on what TV shows have taught me. But we all know those can be overdramatic and I wanted to get a better understanding of what the whole engag...
Our story is a long one, it lasts 13 years, so I will have to start from the very beginning, as if it were a fairy tale story. When I was 15, the act that caused all of this to fall into place, was when I failed math. To think, what I thought was the end of the world, (for a 16 year old, failing math was serious business) was actually the beginning of something spectacular. The boy I met in that class wasn't my future husband, but he was a key to the puzzle. It's starting t...
A chance of a lifetime! That’s how most of us look at weddings. We want ours to be perfect, original and fun. The only way this can possibly happen is with careful planning. Obviously the more elaborate the wedding, the more planning is required. However, today’s weddings have become so expensive that in many cases big bashes have been replaced with smaller more intimate celebrations, with the money that might have been spent on the wedding now going toward a down payment o...
I'll be the first to admit: I've been a bad bride.I've spent most of my engagement (two years of it) worrying about spending money I don't have. I first wanted to spend $5k. This, of course, was laughable, unless I wanted to do something really small or elope. Thankfully, my fiance's parents stepped up and offered us $3k, which brings us up to a grand total of $8k.Still not much, but it was workable.Searching for a reasonable venue/menu quickly became disheartenin...
Being engaged has been the most beautiful and stressful season of my life. My fiancé has been the most amazing support and is just as excited about planning a wedding as I am, which is not usual. But we quickly found out how much planning really comes with a wedding. We have been engaged for a month now. The first week or two we really jumped right in, wanting to get a little of every aspect nailed down. When the stress started to build up, we had to step back and evaluate ou...

My first taste of weddings, in depth, was my best friend’s. She decided she was going to have the wedding of a lifetime, and she succeeded. It was truly something to remember. To embrace the culture of her groom and her own she had everything from Chinese dragon dancers to Mexican pastries. The lavish seven course dinner reception, the mariachi band, the chevron printed wedding cake all added up. By the time her wedding and honeymoon cruise were paid for they had spent ev...

I have proof that even a great proposal can have little mishaps--mostly because unsuspecting brides like myself don't understand why their usually flexible partner is suddenly very inflexible. Allow me to explain. My fiance, Kevin, and I had been together three years when we planned a Hawaiian vacation. The morning we left for Hawaii, I didn't sleep much and was quite tired. I told Kevin at least three times that day that I couldn't wait to get to Hawaii to take a na...
My grandmother, Betty Jane Baker Randolph, or “Nan Nan” as I know her, was born in Haleyville, Alabama. She lived with her mother, father, although her father died when she was only 13 months old, and her two older brothers. She has been a hard working woman all her life, I have never once heard her complain about a situation she has been in or complain about having to work even when it was a result of someone else’s lack of motivation. I have never once heard her say a fou...
Mommy, you and I have always been close, just as you and your mother were always close. We have similar interests, enjoy similar activities, and think alike. We also apparently look alike, too -- complete strangers regularly tell us that we're clearly related.So it was only natural for us to talk about relationships. Even when I was in middle school, you started sharing with me the lessons you'd learned throughout high school, college, and your marriage with my Daddy. You t...
When I think of weddings, I think of delicious cakes and finger food and expensive plates with small portions of food (assuming you can see your food from underneath the large center pieces). I wouldn't imagine ever cooking for my own wedding, there's just so much going on that cooking shouldn't be the bride or groom's responsibility. But maybe, if you need an idea or two of what to serve, this post can help you out!So, if you're doing finger food, I don't think you'll want...
My older sister, bless her heart, got engaged to her now fiance in November, and has set the wedding date to some time in 2015.Don't get me wrong, I am super excited for my sister because she's about to embark on this huge journey in her life with her fiance, and it's an exciting time for everyone involved. However, in being an outsider, I can see certain problems. My sister is 24 and still lives at home. She acknowledges that she can't afford to live on her own (and her ...
So your loved one has just proposed to you. The future is looking bright and rosy, you are thinking about your future you will have together… once you have completed your studies. Is it possible? If you are studying and you still want to marry the love of your life, don’t panic! It is possible! Juggling the textbooks with the restraints of a budget can still allow you to have a dream wedding; you just need a little bit of imagination. At the end of the day you are marryin...
There are big debates going on in social media about if gay rights should be legal. I myself am against the idea of the same sex have the right to marry! The bible says that marriage is supposed to between man and woman! I live the laws of god so saying that I’m for it is going against my beliefs. The town I live in has almost the same beliefs as mine, so I have always been surrounded by people who believe the same things as me, so if I have ever heard about gay rights I hav...
It's said that the chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time. Everything is determined, the beginning as well as the end, by forces which we cannot control.On my first day of high school in 1989, I walked into my fourth period class at Morgan Park High School. It was data processing, and I was fairly sure that I had picked the wrong class, seeing that I was the only freshman in a sea of upperclassmen. I decided I would drop the class during lunch and take some...
OUR STORYMarco Rodriguez & Alisa ReynosoIt's said that the chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time. Everything is determined, the beginning as well as the end, by forces which we cannot control.On my first day of high school in 1989, I walked into my fourth period class at Morgan Park High School. It was data processing, and I was fairly sure that I had picked the wrong class, seeing that I was the only freshman in a sea of upperclassmen. I decided I would ...
This weekend, I attended a breath-taking wedding in Pennsylvania. I wasn’t sure what to expect since the last wedding I attended was decades ago and I can barely remember much, but this one will be very difficult to forget.As I walked through the cobblestone alleyway to get to the door, I held my date’s arm in hopes that I wouldn’t be the first guest to wipe out in these heals. We entered through the double doors into a room of eagerness and anticipation, all wrapped up int...
Hello All,Stage of Life is proud to announce its latest endeavor - the development of the first mobile storytelling game! For the last three months, we have been putting our creative efforts into drafting Writing Race, a multiplayer story writing game for Apple iPhone where friends will collaboratively (or competitively) write a story together using their mobile phone.Our idea to expand Stage of Life’s literacy initiative to the mobile realm began as some scribbling on a...
MEETING HER WAS LOVELYWe met by sheer coincidence on a summer day much like the day we will be married. My best friend introduced us as the happened to be neighbors. I soon after asked her to be a last minute date to my cousins wedding. Since then she has completely captured my heart. I admit getting married is intimidating but being with Paula makes me feel like anything can be accomplished. One of the most terrifying thi...

Advertiser

Coupons for Life - 5% to 50% Off

As an educational writing initiative, StageofLife.com is fortunate to have the support of hundreds of brands who support this writing community and our literacy mission.  Because of that, you can save 5% to 50% off with Stage of Life's free My Life Rewards® program. 

Get discounts at Target.com, Papa John's, Lenovo, AAMCO, and many more...
Discount at Target.com on StageofLife.com Discount on pizza at PapaJohns.com from StageofLife.com Lenovo discount from StageofLife.com AAMCO auto discount from StageofLife.com