Share Your Parenting Wisdom...

Enter Stage of Life's Blogging and Writing Contests for Moms and Dads...

Blogging contest about parentingDo you have children?  Do you love to write?  Or blog?  If you do, you'll want to enter our free, national, writing contest for Moms and Dads. Our hope is that multi-generational story telling will help make the world we live in a better place. 

The point-of-view of the essays submitted for this writing contest should deal with parenting and raising a family.  This is a non-fiction, memoir, blogging, essay-style writing contest for mothers or fathers (no matter how old you or your children may be).  We want your authentic voice in your submission as again, we hope your stories and words inspire other parents.

How to Enter?

1. Read rules below
  2. Read writing contest prompt below
  3. Submit your parenting blog or essay online to StageofLife.com (as instructed below) via the BLUE "Submit Essay" button

Writing Contest Prizes

One winning essay from across the non-student life stages on StageofLife.com will be selected to receive...
  • Blogging Contest Sponsor on StageofLife.com$50 gift card from SpaWeek.com.  Spa & Wellness Cards are good at over 8,000 spas in North America.  They are redeemable year-round and never expire.  SpaWeek.com is excited to sponsor the StageofLife.com monthly writing contest! FYI - Every StageofLife.com writer, blogger, or reader gets 15% off Spa & Wellness gift cards from SpaWeek through 2014.
  • Writing Sponsor on StageofLife.com - Applebee's$25 gift card from Applebee's.  Applebee’s is focused on serving good food to good people. Today, what was once a popular neighborhood restaurant has grown to become a popular restaurant in neighborhoods all across North America – with almost 2,000 locations and counting.
  • Stage of Life pen
  • Signed letter of Congratulations from StageofLife.com
  • Acknowledgment as a StageofLife.com national blogging contest winner.  Essay winners are posted each month here - Writing Contest Winners

Rules for the Writing Contest for Mom's and Dad's

• Writing Contest for Parents

Essay must relate to both your life stage (parenting / raising a family) and the essay theme (see below).
  • Essay must be your original work.
  • Essay can be no longer than 500 words.
  • Essay must be non-fiction and follow the form of a diary, journal, blog, memoir, or essay.  That is to say...we want real stories about real life...from you.
  • Once entered, essay will become a part of Stage of Life's public facing content so no foul language or inappropriate material.  Those entries will be removed.
  • Registration to Stage of Life is required to enter the writing contest (it's free) which will allow us to post your story to the public.

Enter the Parenting Story Writing Contest Now

Please read below for details on the monthly writing contest and click the blue "Enter Contest" button to submit your essay.  Good luck!

Enter Writing Contest for Parents...

April 2014 Writing Contest
Writing Contests for StudentsMONTHLY WRITING CONTESTS:  Welcome to the international writing contests on StageofLife.com.  Answer our real-world writing prompt each month to share your thoughts and experiences as we make the world a better place, one story at a time.  View winners of past writing contests.

Writing Contest Topic:  "Why Must I Be a Teenager in Love?"

Writing Contest for Teens“When you're a teenager and you're in love, it's obvious to everyone but you and the person you're in love with." --John Scalzi

“I enjoy writing about people falling in love, probably because I think the first time you fall in love is the first time that you have to figure out how you're going to orient your life. What are you going to value? What's going to be most important to you? And I think that's really interesting to write about.” --John Green

“Love makes your soul crawl out from its hiding place.” --Zora Neale Hurston

READ RULES...
ENTER YOUR ESSAY...

Submit Essay: 

In 500 words or less, share your story of teenage love.

These stories can deal with your own breathless experiences of first love, first dates (the good, the bad and the ugly), first kisses (sloppy and pure), true love, heartbreak, your understanding of what romantic love is all about, or even your take on the ridiculousness of love in high school.  You could focus your essay on prom hype or prom excitement, or society’s perception of teenagers in love. You could focus on the broad spectrum of what love in modern society is like in general or be very specific about your own experiences of first love. We are looking for your experiences, wisdom and opinions of what it’s like to be a teenager in love, so dive back into those memory bank and submit your story! 

Click the blue "Submit Essay" button to the right.

Title of Essay:  When you submit your essay, title it as:  "Teenager in Love: ______"

Include the words "Teenager in Love" as part of your title (in the Story Title field), but then make the rest of your story title unique.   Examples...
  • Teenager in love: The art of passing notes in class
  • Teenager in love: The first time he held my hand
  • Teenager in love:  I married my high school sweetheart
Writing Contest Details:

Write a personal essay of 500 words or less that develops your ideas and your personal story about the topic of  teenagers in love.

Does true love exist in high school? What is it like to be a teenager in love? 

For April, we want you to share your thoughts and experiences surrounding teenagers in love.  

We want to hear your stories about the joys and the disappointments - from first dates to first loves.  From long term commitments to parent disapproval.  From fights to getting over broken hearts.

Consider these questions to spur ideas as you write your personal essay....

• Have you ever been in love?
  • What was your best or worst date?
  • How do you feel about prom and the hype surrounding it?
  • Do you think dating is different or similar now to 10 years ago? 20 years ago? Why?
  • What do you think makes a lasting relationship?
  • Does true love exist?
  • What is society’s perception of teenagers in love?
  • How did you and your first boy/girlfriend meet?
  • Are your children now dating?  What trends do you see about modern teen love?
Don't answer each of these questions in your essay.  Rather, what we want to see is a stylistic, personal essay that shares your personal experience or journey with first love.

We look forward to reading your story for this month's writing contest.

Rules:
  Two simple rules for the Stage of Life writing contest. 

1) This is a Non-Fiction essay contest. 

2)  Essays are 500 words or less.

Deadline:  Midnight April 30, 2014 Pacific Time US

Results:  Finalists, Runners Up, and the Winner will be posted on our writing contest winners page after May 20th, 2014.

Resource Links

Writing Contest - First Love

Enter Essay

Submit essay to StageofLife.com writing contest

Recommended Videos
about Teens in Love

Videos about Love 

1) Helen Fisher - “The Brain in Love”
Stage of Life Video recommendation
  • From TED: “Why do we crave love so much, even to the point that we would die for it? To learn more about our very real, very physical need for romantic love, Helen Fisher and her research team took MRIs of people in love — and people who had just been dumped.”
2) Hannah Brencher - “Love Letters to Strangers”
  • Stage of Life Video recommendationFrom TED: “Hannah Brencher's mother always wrote her letters. So when she felt herself bottom into depression after college, she did what felt natural — she wrote love letters and left them for strangers to find. The act has become a global initiative, The World Needs More Love Letters, which rushes handwritten letters to those in need of a boost.”

Videos about Teens and Love

Asking a Girl to Prom

A high school student asks a girl to prom in front of his class.  His name is Jason Pitts.

Teens' reactions to Jason's prom question...

What's Your Relationship Reality?

A series of important questions about relationships with answers from honest teenagers

Education Prize Sponsors

$50 SpaWeek gift card - writing contest prize
 Writing Contest Prize Sponsor

Writing Contest Prize Package

• The person who writes the 1st place essay will receive a $50 SpaWeek.com gift card and a $25 Applebee's gift card
  • SWAG package from StageofLife.com
  • National press release exposure for your essay from StageofLife.com
  • Bragging rights
NOTE: 
Winners will be contacted via a post on their story once judging is complete (approx. 30 days after contest ending).   An email will be sent to the winner to get the address for the prize package approx. 1-2 months afterwards.

Please thank our sponsors, Applebee's and SpaWeek.com for supporting the blogging contests, writing programs and literacy initiatives on StageofLife.com
    Changing the World, One Story at a Time
    Enter our Twitter Contest
    Enter our Photo Contest
     Enter Twitter Contest  Enter Photo Contest
    Contact StageofLife.com for National Writing ContestContact Us about this Writing Contest 
    ATTENTION TEACHERS:
    Notes to the Teacher

EXTRA INFORMATION AND RULES FOR THE WRITING CONTEST...

Writing Contest Rules on StageofLife.comBe Real.  Be Yourself
    The strongest submissions for this essay contest will use a personal tone and point-of-view writing style that shares your thoughts on the topic.  If you want to make your essay even stronger, we recommend doing a little research and adding quotes or a statistic (or two). 

Quick Rules:
    • Essays should be 500 words or less.
    • You are welcome to blog on StageofLife.com as much as you want, but only ONE essay submission per user for the writing contest is allowed.
    • Please be creative with your title, then type or cut and paste your full essay from a program like NotePad or TextEdit (don't use any formatting - just text, please) into the Story Details field (which will appear after you click the Submit Essay button above. 
    • Adjust the spacing of your essay within the essay submit form.
    • Title your essay using the instructions above so our Editors can find it in the story feeds in your life stage homepage on the website.  Example:  Here's where the high school student submissions get posted - High School
    • StageofLife.com is a non-partisan literacy initiative.  We judge the writing contest submissions not on the political or religious stance of our writers, but rather on how creative, original, passionate, and well written the essays are.  See below for more details on our judging policy.
    • Read these tips for good essay writing to be considered a writing contest finalist
    • You will need to login to StageofLife.com to submit your writing contest entry.  If you don't have a StageofLife.com login, please register for StageofLife.com (it's free).

StageofLife.com Prize Packages for Winning EssayPrize Package:  The winning writer will receive...

• A highlight as the Winning Essay on StageofLife.com
    • Prize from the writing contest sponsor mentioned above.
    • A mention and link to your essay in Stage of Life's national monthly press release - here's a link to one of our press releases for reference.
    • NOTE:  Winners will be contacted via a post on their story once judging is complete (approx. 30 days after contest ending).   An email will be sent to the winner to get the address for the prize package approx. 2-3 months afterwards.

International Writing Contests on StageofLife.comFree Essay Contest:

This is a free writing contest.  StageofLife.com does not require a submission fee. ONE ESSAY ENTRY PER PERSON FOR THE WRITING CONTEST.  However, you are welcome to blog about your life or other topics outside of this writing contest at any time on StageofLife.com

Contest Deadline:  

Last day of the month at midnight Pacific Standard Time (US).   StageofLife.com time stamps all essays in Greenwich Mean Time (England) as we are an international writing initiative.  International submissions are welcome.

Winning writing contest essays on StageofLIfe.comWinning Essays: 

Of the submitted essays to StageofLife.com for a given writing contest prompt, one student winner and one adult winner will be selected.  The winner and semi-finalists will be announced after the 20th of the following month.  Winner and semi-finalists will be contacted by a StageofLife.com staffer via the email used to register for the website.

As we state in our Writing Contest Rules and Judging Criteria, student writers selected as our national essay finalists and winner(s) will demonstrate strong writing skills, a unique point-of-view, personal tone, originality, and realness in their essay. 

"Realness?"  Yes...realness. 

Blogging contests on StageofLife.comThe reason that journalists and organizations ranging from TIME.com to Mint Education have featured our essays (especially our teen posts) in the national media is because our bloggers all write from the heart.  Real people sharing real stories about their lives.  Combine this with our position as one of the only international, non-partisan, literacy platforms in the world and you'll find Stage of Life an open environment to share your ideas. 

Post Comments: 

We'd like to encourage all participants and readers to make comments on these writing contest essays.  Please just remember to keep all comments/posts/discussions civil and in good taste in each of the essay-blog threads, especially since some of our writing prompts are sensitive in nature.  Nasty comments, personal attacks, or other such comments are not allowed and will be removed should they come to our attention.

Judging:

If you have questions about the rules or judging criteria for our writing contests, you can visit our Rules & Judging Criteria page.

College student writing contest on Stage of LifeLast Words - Share Your Story: 

Our hope is that your writing contest submission will positively impact others and help with our mission of making the world a better place, one story at a time.  Your essay may inspire others or even better, give you an opportunity to share a story that's simply important to you.

After you've submitted your essay, feel free to share the link to your essay on Facebook or Twitter.  Our essays are judged by real Editors, not popularity, but we do like to spread the word about our national, grassroots writing contest.   Also, please share this writing contest with Language Arts, English and History teachers, or on your blog or website. 

If you know a teacher who would like a Stage of Life writing contest poster for his or her classroom, have them contact us.

About:

Read more about StageofLife.com and our mission

Good luck!  Scroll back up and click on the "Submit Essay" button to upload your essay.

Next