Share Your Parenting Wisdom...

Enter Stage of Life's Blogging and Writing Contests for Moms and Dads...

Blogging contest about parentingDo you have children?  Do you love to write?  Or blog?  If you do, you'll want to enter our free, national, writing contest for Moms and Dads. Our hope is that multi-generational story telling will help make the world we live in a better place. 

The point-of-view of the essays submitted for this writing contest should deal with parenting and raising a family.  This is a non-fiction, memoir, blogging, essay-style writing contest for mothers or fathers (no matter how old you or your children may be).  We want your authentic voice in your submission as again, we hope your stories and words inspire other parents.

How to Enter?

1. Read rules below
  2. Read writing contest prompt below
  3. Submit your parenting blog or essay online to StageofLife.com (as instructed below) via the BLUE "Submit Essay" button

Writing Contest Prizes

One winning essay from across the non-student life stages on StageofLife.com will be selected to receive...
  • Blogging Contest Sponsor on StageofLife.com$50 gift card from SpaWeek.com.  Spa & Wellness Cards are good at over 8,000 spas in North America.  They are redeemable year-round and never expire.  SpaWeek.com is excited to sponsor the StageofLife.com monthly writing contest! FYI - Every StageofLife.com writer, blogger, or reader gets 15% off Spa & Wellness gift cards from SpaWeek through 2014.
  • Writing Sponsor on StageofLife.com - Applebee's$25 gift card from Applebee's.  Applebee’s is focused on serving good food to good people. Today, what was once a popular neighborhood restaurant has grown to become a popular restaurant in neighborhoods all across North America – with almost 2,000 locations and counting.
  • Stage of Life pen
  • Signed letter of Congratulations from StageofLife.com
  • Acknowledgment as a StageofLife.com national blogging contest winner.  Essay winners are posted each month here - Writing Contest Winners

Rules for the Writing Contest for Mom's and Dad's

• Writing Contest for Parents

Essay must relate to both your life stage (parenting / raising a family) and the essay theme (see below).
  • Essay must be your original work.
  • Essay can be no longer than 500 words.
  • Essay must be non-fiction and follow the form of a diary, journal, blog, memoir, or essay.  That is to say...we want real stories about real life...from you.
  • Once entered, essay will become a part of Stage of Life's public facing content so no foul language or inappropriate material.  Those entries will be removed.
  • Registration to Stage of Life is required to enter the writing contest (it's free) which will allow us to post your story to the public.

Enter the Parenting Story Writing Contest Now

Please read below for details on the monthly writing contest and click the blue "Enter Contest" button to submit your essay.  Good luck!

Enter Writing Contest for Parents...

October 2014 Writing Contest
Writing ContestsMONTHLY WRITING CONTESTS:  StageofLife.com hosts monthly international writing contests.  Answer the real-world writing prompt below to share your thoughts and experiences as we change the world, one story at a time.  View winners of past writing contests.

Writing Contest:  The Story of a Scar

“Scars have the strange power to remind us that our past is real.”
― Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses

READ RULES...
ENTER YOUR ESSAY...

How to Submit Essay: 
In 500 words or less, using the blue "Submit Essay" button, write the story behind one (or more) of your visible or invisible scars.

Background:  Scars indicate that a wound has healed. Almost everyone has a scar and each scar possesses a story about your past and how you acquired it.

Maybe you acquired the scar from a fall down the steps when you were 3-years-old.  Maybe you acquired your scar from a bike accident.  Maybe your brother gave you the scar when he hit you in the head with a snow shovel. 

And...maybe your scars are ones others can’t see, but their emotional impact resonates in your life. Maybe your scar story is about someone else’s scar and how you gave it to them.

What’s your scar story?

Consider these thoughts when you write your essay (Don’t answer all these questions, but use them as a launching point to mine your memories for ideas):
  • Is there a funny, sad, or reckless story behind a visible scar on your body?
  • Have you ever given someone else a scar (either an internal emotional scar or an external physical scar)?
  • Does someone important in your life have a scar that has somehow influenced you?
  • What types of invisible scars do you have?
  • How did your wound become a scar? What was the process of healing like for you?
  • Have you ever been ridiculed, teased or bullied because of a scar?
  • What scars do you think people hide? Do you have scars that you are proud of? Ashamed of?

Click the blue "Submit Essay" button to the right to upload your story and enter the writing contest.

Title of Essay: 
When you submit your essay, title it as:  "Scar: ______"

Include the word "Scar" as the beginning of your essay title, but then make the rest of your story title unique.   Examples...
  • Scar: My heart is an open wound even if the scar remains
  • Scar: My king wants to see your brain
  • Scar: My dad’s war wounds inspire me
Rules: 
Three simple rules for the Stage of Life student writing contest. 

1) This is a Non-Fiction essay contest. 
2)  Essays are 500 words or less.
3)  Essay must be your original work.

Deadline: 
Midnight October 31st, 2014 Pacific Time US

Results: 
Finalists, Runners Up, and the Winner will be posted on our writing contest winners page after November 25, 2014.

Writing Contest for October 2014

Enter Essay...

Submit essay to StageofLife.com writing contest

Writing Contest Resources

Video about Scars:

Find your inner star: Krystian Leonard at TEDxBocaRaton

Finding her Inner Star and realizing her power to change self-perception and become her own kind of beautiful, Krystian Leonard, founder of the non-profit Shining Scars, shares her journey from being taunted and tormented as a young girl with visible scars, now helps to empower children and teens to rise above the stigma of their scars.

Prize Sponsors

Writing Contest Prize Sponsor
 Writing Contest Prize Sponsor

Writing Contest Prize Package

• The person who writes the 1st place essay will receive gift cards compliments of our education sponsors, SpaWeek and Applebee's.
  • SWAG package from StageofLife.com
  • National press release exposure for your essay from StageofLife.com
  • Bragging rights
NOTE: 
Winners will be contacted via a post on their story once judging is complete (approx. 30 days after contest ending).   An email will be sent to the winner to get the address for the prize package approx. 1-2 months afterwards.

Please thank our sponsors for supporting the writing and literacy efforts on StageofLife.com
    Enter our Twitter Contest
    Enter our Photo Contest
     Enter Twitter Contest  Enter Photo Contest
    Contact StageofLife.com for National Writing ContestContact Us about this Writing Contest 
    ATTENTION TEACHERS:
    Language Arts Teacher Resources

EXTRA INFORMATION AND RULES FOR THE WRITING CONTEST...

Writing Contest Rules on StageofLife.comBe Real.  Be Yourself
    The strongest submissions for this essay contest will use a personal tone and point-of-view writing style that shares your thoughts on the topic.  If you want to make your essay even stronger, we recommend doing a little research and adding quotes or a statistic (or two). 

Quick Rules:
    • Essays should be 500 words or less.
    • You are welcome to blog on StageofLife.com as much as you want, but only ONE essay submission per user for the writing contest is allowed.
    • Please be creative with your title, then type or cut and paste your full essay from a program like NotePad or TextEdit (don't use any formatting - just text, please) into the Story Details field (which will appear after you click the Submit Essay button above. 
    • Adjust the spacing of your essay within the essay submit form.
    • Title your essay using the instructions above so our Editors can find it in the story feeds in your life stage homepage on the website.  Example:  Here's where the high school student submissions get posted - High School
    • StageofLife.com is a non-partisan literacy initiative.  We judge the writing contest submissions not on the political or religious stance of our writers, but rather on how creative, original, passionate, and well written the essays are.  See below for more details on our judging policy.
    • Read these tips for good essay writing to be considered a writing contest finalist
    • You will need to login to StageofLife.com to submit your writing contest entry.  If you don't have a StageofLife.com login, please register for StageofLife.com (it's free).

StageofLife.com Prize Packages for Winning EssayPrize Package:  The winning writer will receive...

• A highlight as the Winning Essay on StageofLife.com
    • Prize from the writing contest sponsor mentioned above.
    • A mention and link to your essay in Stage of Life's national monthly press release - here's a link to one of our press releases for reference.
    • NOTE:  Winners will be contacted via a post on their story once judging is complete (approx. 30 days after contest ending).   An email will be sent to the winner to get the address for the prize package approx. 2-3 months afterwards.

International Writing Contests on StageofLife.comFree Essay Contest:

This is a free writing contest.  StageofLife.com does not require a submission fee. ONE  ESSAY ENTRY PER PERSON FOR THE WRITING CONTEST.  However, you are welcome to blog about your life or other topics outside of this writing contest at any time on StageofLife.com

Contest Deadline:  

Last day of the month at midnight Pacific Standard Time (US).   StageofLife.com time stamps all essays in Greenwich Mean Time (England) as we are an international writing initiative.  International submissions are welcome.

Winning writing contest essays on StageofLIfe.comWinning Essays: 

Of the submitted essays to StageofLife.com for a given writing contest prompt, one student winner and one adult winner will be selected.  The winner and semi-finalists will be announced after the 20th of the following month.  Winner and semi-finalists will be contacted by a StageofLife.com staffer via the email used to register for the website.

As we state in our Writing Contest Rules and Judging Criteria, student writers selected as our national essay finalists and winner(s) will demonstrate strong writing skills, a unique point-of-view, personal tone, originality, and realness in their essay. 

"Realness?"  Yes...realness. 

Blogging contests on StageofLife.comThe reason that journalists and organizations ranging from TIME.com to Mint Education have featured our essays (especially our teen posts) in the national media is because our bloggers all write from the heart.  Real people sharing real stories about their lives.  Combine this with our position as one of the only international, non-partisan, literacy platforms in the world and you'll find Stage of Life an open environment to share your ideas. 

Post Comments: 

We'd like to encourage all participants and readers to make comments on these writing contest essays.  Please just remember to keep all comments/posts/discussions civil and in good taste in each of the essay-blog threads, especially since some of our writing prompts are sensitive in nature.  Nasty comments, personal attacks, or other such comments are not allowed and will be removed should they come to our attention.

Judging:

If you have questions about the rules or judging criteria for our writing contests, you can visit our Rules & Judging Criteria page.

College student writing contest on Stage of LifeLast Words - Share Your Story: 

Our hope is that your writing contest submission will positively impact others and help with our mission of making the world a better place, one story at a time.  Your essay may inspire others or even better, give you an opportunity to share a story that's simply important to you.

After you've submitted your essay, feel free to share the link to your essay on Facebook or Twitter.  Our essays are judged by real Editors, not popularity, but we do like to spread the word about our national, grassroots writing contest.   Also, please share this writing contest with Language Arts, English and History teachers, or on your blog or website. 

If you know a teacher who would like a Stage of Life writing contest poster for his or her classroom, have them contact us.

About:

Read more about StageofLife.com and our mission

Good luck!  Scroll back up and click on the "Submit Essay" button to upload your essay.

Next