Writing Community about Raising a Family

Stage of Life - Parenting Blog

Share Your Parenting Story.  Entering our Writing Contests for Parents.  Save Money too...

Stage of Life® is a writing community designed for parents to share their stories about raising a family.  Get involved with our educational mission:  Enter our monthly writing contests or share your parenting experiences and explore our parenting resources such as statistics about families, quotes about raising a family, family etiquette, funny family videos, and more.  Save money with our coupons for families too. Whether you're a single parent, traditional family, or multi-generational family, we look forward to reading your parenting essays.  Your stories may just help inspire other people raising a family.  Get started now...

Enter StageofLife.com parent and family writing contest Twitter Contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for raising a family on StageofLife.com
Enter the monthly international writing contest for parents:
August 2015
"Family Vacations"
Don't have time to blog today?
Enter our new, "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.
Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com
Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's coupon code from StageofLife.com     Lenovo computer discount for Stage of Life members

Best of our Bloggers

Recent Writing Contest Winners

Winning Essay WritersWinning Writing Contest EssaysBefore you scroll down to read the essays, stories, and blogs being submitted to StageofLife.com, let's celebrate the recent writing contest winners.  We select one essay each month from across all of the non-student life stages to win our monthly blogging contests

Basically...these winning essays are selected from all of you "grown-ups" out there writing on Stage of Life...

Past Writing Contest Winners

Parent Stories

My son was four when he almost made a stranger wet herself. I realize how much explaining this may take. It took place within the epitome of all vacation destinations...Disneyworld...where every ride is designed for maximum thrills. The least threatening of all these is, perhaps, the laid-back Jungle Cruise inside the Magic Kingdom. If you are a four-year-old worrywart with safety always foremost in your mind, the Jungle Cruise is a force with which to be reckoned, and th...
My family, consisting of myself, hubby, and two teenage sons, took a long-awaited, long-overdue vacation to Florida in July. Just like in the movie Vacation, it was a road trip full of adventure, a lot of family bonding, and of course, a few mishaps. We spent two days driving to Florida from Ohio, one amazing week in Pompano Beach, one fun filled day in the Everglades, and two days driving back home. On our first day driving home, we were on I-75 North near Gainesville when...
Last summer I got the bright idea to become obsessed with fishing. I guess with all the television shows about people roughing it and living off the land in the last few years I just couldn't resist the call of the wild. However, I don't like guns and I can't shoot a bow and arrow to save my life so hunting was out. Fishing seemed like a cheap and easy hobby that would assuage my perceived desire to live wild. My husband and son were game so it was decided that we would take ...
So I am away from home enjoying my vacation at MY mom's place and my husband's relatives quietly get visas and tickets and land in my house without even letting me know.I live in brooklyn , in a one bedroom apt.with my kids 10 and 12 years old .My dad who is 63 also lives with me.My husband's 4 relatives have entered my house and neither my husband nor his family have bothered to let me know that they r leaving and they r gonna stay in my house.Is it ok to feel uneasy and rea...
Yay! We're finally going to Disney! I was so excited about the prospect of going to the "The Happiest Place on Earth. Naturally, our six year old daughter, Melissa, was excited about the prospect of Meeting Mickey Mouse, as well. But which one of us was more excited? Let's just say it was the one who does NOT share a bed with twenty stuffed cats (hint: ME)! Planning and packing for our dream vacation was so much fun. Of course I would need bathing-suits ...
It’s 6:45am and we’re officially 45 minutes behind schedule, but it’s the annual Merrill Family Vacation, and THAT is to be expected. I’ve explained before that this family is huge. We had so much stuff packed, that we had to leave Sweetness behind….sorry buddy….One day you’ll be married to a beautiful woman, and you’ll leave your son behind too….and only THEN will you understand the meaning of the term…Female Vacation Packing. I’m not mocking, quite the contrary, it’s just t...
Many contact me on LinkedIn’s platform, if I could suggest or introduce a website, whereby they can write articles to be paid. As a matter of fact, there are hundreds of websites that accept articles from writers, but most to promote your articles, thus; someone may hire you if interested in you as a writer, but gaining recognition as a writer to be hired doesn’t come easy.It seems when the mind is occupied with various plans and ideas, we ignore or forget the places where ...
WordPress is a social platform made easy with essential tools, to make it simple and easy for the blogger and website owners. For example it has ‘Akismet’ anti-spam plugin which stops spam comments and trackbacks. Besides, WordPress has provided ‘Jetpack’ plugin that gives access to hosted features automatically.I am completely new to WordPress, but because they made it easy and simple for bloggers to enjoy using the platform, I’m getting familiar to many things. Online and...
There is something special about Barcelona, so unique that one lacks the right words to describe this wonderful city. Barcelona is a city one can’t different night from day, because both the day and night are equally dense with its citizens and people from other countries, since is the second largest and one of the beautiful cities in Spain.The city has identified itself as one of the most fashionable and adorable cities in Europe. The reason is simple and logical. It’s ren...
My husband works from home, now. So this summer, while our daughter Melissa is at camp, we have a new ritual. We watch Jeopardy every afternoon at 2:30 (old folks home, here we come...ha-ha)!Now, watching Jeopardy can be a fun experience...especially when you KNOW an answer...oh, wait...especially when you KNOW an answer your HUSBAND does NOT know (capital of South. Dakota is PIERRE!!!)...and especially when you know the answer to a question NONE OF THE SUPER SMART CONT...
  The basic foundation of a human is family. Our world is colored by them and shapes us into the person we are today. In the process of growing we get hurt subsequently and there’s where we gain experience. At the time we experience pain, we will definitely seek for a crying shoulder. Even though there are friends or peers to ease our burden, it is an undeniable fact that family holds a special place in our heart. Once we talk to them open heartedly we know the problem can be...
I ordered a pizza. I didn’t place a call. I designed my pizza, placed the order, and watched the progress from receipt of my order to its exit from the oven. All of this was brought to me courtesy of modern technology and an app on my Android phone. Apps are truly beautiful things. From controlling my TV to making a video in which I can make my forty-plus-year-old female voice sound like that of a deranged cat, I can do it all with apps. I can even navigate my way across the ...
In 1983, I was nine years old and watching “CHiPs,” “Diff’rent Strokes,” and reruns of “The Brady Bunch” on a television set. Yes, a set. It wasn’t mounted. The set, it sat. It sat on the floor in our den, taking up much floor space and housed a tube that occasionally offered wavy lines and the crackle of interference from local CB radio transmissions. If I was lucky, on a really clear Tennessee day, I might be able to hold my mouth right and cross a toe or two and tune ...
I'm already apologizing for the big email. I need an advice on how to tell my parents-in-law that I'm not okay with them inviting themselves to come to our house more often even staying longer to stay away from the heat of the desert of the new place they are planning to buy. They live 17hs away from us and my Mother-in-law told that they are planning to move 5 h away from our home to stay closer and even stay with us when the desert gets hot. I'm having anxiety already. My i...
MAMA’S LOVEAS A CHILD I WOULD FALL TO THE GROUNDYOUR VOICE I COULD HEARSUCH A COMFORTING SOUND.YOU WOULD COME INTO VIEWTHROUGH MY TEARY MISTAND OFFER UP YOUR HEALING KISSTHE PAIN ALWAYS SEEMED TO FLEEAS YOUR LOVING ARMS WRAPPED AROUND MEI COULD COUNT ON YOUR LOVEWHENEVER IT WAS NEEDEDYOU ALWAYS OFFERED IT WITHOUT A PRICEJUST AS THE LOVE OF GODIS SO UNCONDITIONALNO OTHER LOVE COULD EVER SUFFICEWITHOUT A BLEMISH, PURE AS A DOVENOTHING CAN REPLACE MAMA’S LOVE...
As a young boy, I was sent to church via a church bus. There were three people that planted seeds of hope in my life at this time. There was Mrs. Smith, she rode the church bus and worked in the school cafeteria. She would mentor me and visit every Saturday to make sure that my siblings and I were going to church on Sunday. Then there was Mr. Haupt, my Sunday school teacher, he would teach me the word of God and the Christian way of living. Then, there was Mr. Joiner, he wou...
Midlife MantraOur lives are made up of highs, lows and in-betweens. We navigate our way through dark tunnels, jammed highways, shady neighbourhoods, winding roads, steep hills, slippery slopes, rough patches, confusing intersections, calm fields, vast valleys, spectacular summits and breathtaking landscapes. The path we travel in between, whether rugged or clear, forges an opening with a panoramic vista, allowing us to reflect back upon and to look forward toward the chroma...
The moment the GOD has created this world and living being, he also created every comfort that is required for them.But, Every comfort is being misused, distorted and made to work against us by us...Why because from the stone age, especially the human being is revolving around certain things only, as per Gautama Buddha (Four noble truths) we crave for the sensuality, we crave for the acquisition of Identity, We crave to prevail and dominate over others a wish t...
May 25, 2015If She Could See Me Now I wasn’t the greatest student in high school. Falling off the grid some days, really did start to interfere with my usual perfect attendance. I was intelligent, and I could do the school work. I just simply chose not to. I didn’t despise school. I actually was quite fond of learning. I was just simply going through a rough patch. I was struggling to find my identity, unaware that worrying why I didn’t have my life together at seventee...
I have organised a christening and first birthday celebration for my son. We will be taking everyone to lunch after the service at an upmarket restaurant. Family are coming from overseas with their children for the event. Myself and my husband are paying for this.It is expensive but we can afford it if we work hard.My mother in law has insisted on contributing a significant amount of money for the lunch. My husband agreed to this but I am not comfortable with it.i feel it is ...
Here I am, 52 years young and I find myself in a place that I thought I had long ago left behind‒ never to revisit. I lovingly refer to this as my dyslexic dating stage; as the last time I was single was in 1985 and I was 25.I am not sure how I ended up in this strange land. I packed my bags, bought a one-way ticket (or so I thought) to paradise, buckled up and took off on a journey only to arrive at an alternate destination due to unavoidable inclement weather.As the...
They say that death and taxes are the only guarantees in life, yet I contend that somewhere in the middle, there sits the guarantee of change, and while my personality doesn’t appreciate it’s concept, it does stand to reason that even I saw the need for it’s implementation. Change may not always be good, but change is always change, and if I’ve learned anything, it’s that change can be tolerable, if one is willing to go with the flow…I guess. At the age of 43, I had to go b...
I’m a single parent living with my disabled daughter, and the two of us are graciously allowed to live with Taffy, our cat. Taffy lets us clean her apartment, pay bills, provide food for her to eat, furniture for her to lounge on and toys for her to play with. In return, she bestows upon us the honor of letting us bask in her radiance, a most prestigious honor not bestowed upon many and hardly ever bestowed upon a couple of morons like us. Cat to human communication is...
Fighting in a relationship is considered a bad communication, a failure to reach out to your partner and prove your point of view, which usually works both ways. In fact, fighting is treated as an emotional abuse, and like any other type of abuse it’s bad for relationships, especially when kids are involved too. Do you have fights with your partner on an occasional basis, where the two ...
On my son Billy’s twelfth birthday, per his wish, I took him to a pet store to buy a hamster. We were both excited. He immediately picked one out, a cute fluffy teddy bear hamster. The clerk put the hamster into a small thin paper box. I questioned if we should put him in the plastic hamster ball we bought, but she assured us that the hamster would be fine in the box. As soon as we got into the car Billy opened the box to check on him. The hamster quickly jumped out of the ...
Otis Redding’s “These Arms of Mine” just played on my Pandora station. That song floods my mind with memories of my first dance at my wedding reception. I thought about how young my husband and I were. How we had our whole lives in front of us, and mostly I thought about how much has changed in these past 15 years. The biggest changes besides more gray hair, creakier knees, more wrinkles and other unsightly freckles that seem to pop up every time I venture outside, ar...
A friend asked my boyfriend and I to come stay at her home. She didnt like where we were living and she needed someone looking after her home. She never paid me and we never had to pay rent. However We did repair Work, and kept up yard and house. We both received mail there. When she came home I said we would leave. She said there was no reason for us to leave because she came home. Now out of the blue she said we need to leave knowing we had know where to go and he was just ...
Chester the Rottweiler was enjoying his morning walk. It was still cool outside and there weren't a lot of cars going by yet. He liked to listen to the birds and the other sounds in the neighborhood. He also liked to sniff the trees, the leaves, the grass and especially the fire hydrant on the corner.Chester greeted his dog friends. He would sniff and woof softly to them through their fence. They would sniff and woof back. Cats were a different story. Chester didn’t trust c...
Climate influences our lifestyle and emotions. Weather plays a pivotal role in our life. It helps us to calm down, sometime instils fury or instigates fear. It plays on our emotions. Once, my dearest buddy had the strongest argument with me and left the place with “sound and fury”. It was mid-afternoon, very hot and she was also heated with anger. I sat there like Buddha, under a tree contemplating, unknowing the reason. I was isolated in my thoughts and slept off under the t...
Nutan heard the rustle of leaves and someone was walking towards her. It was a cold wintery night. The coldness left her unperturbed. Silence stole the storm in her. He wore a dark suit with purple cuff. His silence strangled her thoughts. Slowly, he leaped towards her taking to her reminiscence. On a same wintery day, when she was in her 18, she felt the same warmth shrouded under the hug of a masculine figure. She waited for six long years to get the same warmth. The coldne...

Advertiser

Coupons for Life - 5% to 50% Off

As an educational writing initiative, StageofLife.com is fortunate to have the support of hundreds of brands who support this writing community and our literacy mission.  Because of that, you can save 5% to 50% off with Stage of Life's free My Life Rewards® program. 

Get discounts at Applebee's, Papa John's, Lenovo, AAMCO, and many more...

Applebee's gift card discountDiscount on pizza at PapaJohns.com from StageofLife.com Lenovo discount from StageofLife.com AAMCO auto discount from StageofLife.com