Writing Community about Raising a Family

Stage of Life - Parenting Blog

Share Your Parenting Story.  Entering our Writing Contests for Parents.  Save Money too...

Stage of Life® is a writing community designed for parents to share their stories about raising a family.  Get involved with our educational mission:  Enter our monthly writing contests or share your parenting experiences and explore our parenting resources such as statistics about families, quotes about raising a family, family etiquette, funny family videos, and more.  Save money with our coupons for families too. Whether you're a single parent, traditional family, or multi-generational family, we look forward to reading your parenting essays.  Your stories may just help inspire other people raising a family.  Get started now...

Enter StageofLife.com parent and family writing contest Twitter Contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for raising a family on StageofLife.com
Enter the monthly international writing contest for parents:
June / July 2015
"There's an App for That"
Don't have time to blog today?
Enter our new, "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.
Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com
Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's coupon code from StageofLife.com     Lenovo computer discount for Stage of Life members

Best of our Bloggers

Recent Writing Contest Winners

Winning Essay WritersWinning Writing Contest EssaysBefore you scroll down to read the essays, stories, and blogs being submitted to StageofLife.com, let's celebrate the recent writing contest winners.  We select one essay each month from across all of the non-student life stages to win our monthly blogging contests

Basically...these winning essays are selected from all of you "grown-ups" out there writing on Stage of Life...

Past Writing Contest Winners

Parent Stories

My husband works from home, now. So this summer, while our daughter Melissa is at camp, we have a new ritual. We watch Jeopardy every afternoon at 2:30 (old folks home, here we come...ha-ha)!Now, watching Jeopardy can be a fun experience...especially when you KNOW an answer...oh, wait...especially when you KNOW an answer your HUSBAND does NOT know (capital of South. Dakota is PIERRE!!!)...and especially when you know the answer to a question NONE OF THE SUPER SMART CONT...
  The basic foundation of a human is family. Our world is colored by them and shapes us into the person we are today. In the process of growing we get hurt subsequently and there’s where we gain experience. At the time we experience pain, we will definitely seek for a crying shoulder. Even though there are friends or peers to ease our burden, it is an undeniable fact that family holds a special place in our heart. Once we talk to them open heartedly we know the problem can be...
I ordered a pizza. I didn’t place a call. I designed my pizza, placed the order, and watched the progress from receipt of my order to its exit from the oven. All of this was brought to me courtesy of modern technology and an app on my Android phone. Apps are truly beautiful things. From controlling my TV to making a video in which I can make my forty-plus-year-old female voice sound like that of a deranged cat, I can do it all with apps. I can even navigate my way across the ...
In 1983, I was nine years old and watching “CHiPs,” “Diff’rent Strokes,” and reruns of “The Brady Bunch” on a television set. Yes, a set. It wasn’t mounted. The set, it sat. It sat on the floor in our den, taking up much floor space and housed a tube that occasionally offered wavy lines and the crackle of interference from local CB radio transmissions. If I was lucky, on a really clear Tennessee day, I might be able to hold my mouth right and cross a toe or two and tune ...
I'm already apologizing for the big email. I need an advice on how to tell my parents-in-law that I'm not okay with them inviting themselves to come to our house more often even staying longer to stay away from the heat of the desert of the new place they are planning to buy. They live 17hs away from us and my Mother-in-law told that they are planning to move 5 h away from our home to stay closer and even stay with us when the desert gets hot. I'm having anxiety already. My i...
MAMA’S LOVEAS A CHILD I WOULD FALL TO THE GROUNDYOUR VOICE I COULD HEARSUCH A COMFORTING SOUND.YOU WOULD COME INTO VIEWTHROUGH MY TEARY MISTAND OFFER UP YOUR HEALING KISSTHE PAIN ALWAYS SEEMED TO FLEEAS YOUR LOVING ARMS WRAPPED AROUND MEI COULD COUNT ON YOUR LOVEWHENEVER IT WAS NEEDEDYOU ALWAYS OFFERED IT WITHOUT A PRICEJUST AS THE LOVE OF GODIS SO UNCONDITIONALNO OTHER LOVE COULD EVER SUFFICEWITHOUT A BLEMISH, PURE AS A DOVENOTHING CAN REPLACE MAMA’S LOVE...
As a young boy, I was sent to church via a church bus. There were three people that planted seeds of hope in my life at this time. There was Mrs. Smith, she rode the church bus and worked in the school cafeteria. She would mentor me and visit every Saturday to make sure that my siblings and I were going to church on Sunday. Then there was Mr. Haupt, my Sunday school teacher, he would teach me the word of God and the Christian way of living. Then, there was Mr. Joiner, he wou...
Midlife MantraOur lives are made up of highs, lows and in-betweens. We navigate our way through dark tunnels, jammed highways, shady neighbourhoods, winding roads, steep hills, slippery slopes, rough patches, confusing intersections, calm fields, vast valleys, spectacular summits and breathtaking landscapes. The path we travel in between, whether rugged or clear, forges an opening with a panoramic vista, allowing us to reflect back upon and to look forward toward the chroma...
The moment the GOD has created this world and living being, he also created every comfort that is required for them.But, Every comfort is being misused, distorted and made to work against us by us...Why because from the stone age, especially the human being is revolving around certain things only, as per Gautama Buddha (Four noble truths) we crave for the sensuality, we crave for the acquisition of Identity, We crave to prevail and dominate over others a wish t...
May 25, 2015If She Could See Me Now I wasn’t the greatest student in high school. Falling off the grid some days, really did start to interfere with my usual perfect attendance. I was intelligent, and I could do the school work. I just simply chose not to. I didn’t despise school. I actually was quite fond of learning. I was just simply going through a rough patch. I was struggling to find my identity, unaware that worrying why I didn’t have my life together at seventee...
I have organised a christening and first birthday celebration for my son. We will be taking everyone to lunch after the service at an upmarket restaurant. Family are coming from overseas with their children for the event. Myself and my husband are paying for this.It is expensive but we can afford it if we work hard.My mother in law has insisted on contributing a significant amount of money for the lunch. My husband agreed to this but I am not comfortable with it.i feel it is ...
Here I am, 52 years young and I find myself in a place that I thought I had long ago left behind‒ never to revisit. I lovingly refer to this as my dyslexic dating stage; as the last time I was single was in 1985 and I was 25.I am not sure how I ended up in this strange land. I packed my bags, bought a one-way ticket (or so I thought) to paradise, buckled up and took off on a journey only to arrive at an alternate destination due to unavoidable inclement weather.As the...
They say that death and taxes are the only guarantees in life, yet I contend that somewhere in the middle, there sits the guarantee of change, and while my personality doesn’t appreciate it’s concept, it does stand to reason that even I saw the need for it’s implementation. Change may not always be good, but change is always change, and if I’ve learned anything, it’s that change can be tolerable, if one is willing to go with the flow…I guess. At the age of 43, I had to go b...
I’m a single parent living with my disabled daughter, and the two of us are graciously allowed to live with Taffy, our cat. Taffy lets us clean her apartment, pay bills, provide food for her to eat, furniture for her to lounge on and toys for her to play with. In return, she bestows upon us the honor of letting us bask in her radiance, a most prestigious honor not bestowed upon many and hardly ever bestowed upon a couple of morons like us. Cat to human communication is...
Fighting in a relationship is considered a bad communication, a failure to reach out to your partner and prove your point of view, which usually works both ways. In fact, fighting is treated as an emotional abuse, and like any other type of abuse it’s bad for relationships, especially when kids are involved too. Do you have fights with your partner on an occasional basis, where the two ...
On my son Billy’s twelfth birthday, per his wish, I took him to a pet store to buy a hamster. We were both excited. He immediately picked one out, a cute fluffy teddy bear hamster. The clerk put the hamster into a small thin paper box. I questioned if we should put him in the plastic hamster ball we bought, but she assured us that the hamster would be fine in the box. As soon as we got into the car Billy opened the box to check on him. The hamster quickly jumped out of the ...
Otis Redding’s “These Arms of Mine” just played on my Pandora station. That song floods my mind with memories of my first dance at my wedding reception. I thought about how young my husband and I were. How we had our whole lives in front of us, and mostly I thought about how much has changed in these past 15 years. The biggest changes besides more gray hair, creakier knees, more wrinkles and other unsightly freckles that seem to pop up every time I venture outside, ar...
A friend asked my boyfriend and I to come stay at her home. She didnt like where we were living and she needed someone looking after her home. She never paid me and we never had to pay rent. However We did repair Work, and kept up yard and house. We both received mail there. When she came home I said we would leave. She said there was no reason for us to leave because she came home. Now out of the blue she said we need to leave knowing we had know where to go and he was just ...
Chester the Rottweiler was enjoying his morning walk. It was still cool outside and there weren't a lot of cars going by yet. He liked to listen to the birds and the other sounds in the neighborhood. He also liked to sniff the trees, the leaves, the grass and especially the fire hydrant on the corner.Chester greeted his dog friends. He would sniff and woof softly to them through their fence. They would sniff and woof back. Cats were a different story. Chester didn’t trust c...
Climate influences our lifestyle and emotions. Weather plays a pivotal role in our life. It helps us to calm down, sometime instils fury or instigates fear. It plays on our emotions. Once, my dearest buddy had the strongest argument with me and left the place with “sound and fury”. It was mid-afternoon, very hot and she was also heated with anger. I sat there like Buddha, under a tree contemplating, unknowing the reason. I was isolated in my thoughts and slept off under the t...
Nutan heard the rustle of leaves and someone was walking towards her. It was a cold wintery night. The coldness left her unperturbed. Silence stole the storm in her. He wore a dark suit with purple cuff. His silence strangled her thoughts. Slowly, he leaped towards her taking to her reminiscence. On a same wintery day, when she was in her 18, she felt the same warmth shrouded under the hug of a masculine figure. She waited for six long years to get the same warmth. The coldne...
I’m jolted awake to a bloodcurdling wails. The horrific noises interrupt my pleasant dreams of eating chocolate and drinking vino, yet never gaining a pound. I glance at the clock; it’s 5:30 in the morning. I stumble out of bed in the darkness, only half awake, tripping over an English Setter, who is apparently not much of a watch dog. He yelps. I glance over at the lump next to me, my husband, snoring loudly. The sounds do not disrupt his sleep. I wonder what wou...
My son was thrilled to be going away to a weeklong residence summer camp. It wasn’t very far from our home, but per camp rules he wasn’t allowed to take his cell phone or any electronics with him. Therefore, we’d have no contact the entire week. The camp requested that parents only call the camp office in case of a true emergency. I was very excited for him, but also, as a mom, naturally worried about him being away from home and not being able to check in on him. During th...
Hi, Just wanted to share our creative baby announcement parody video with expecting families. It's so exciting to have a bun in the oven! With our first son we made the Bieber parody http://youtu.be/ADGp39UejnYI was opposed to doing the second video for our second child because it took a long time for us to get the first video up. But my husband wanted to make sure from the start our son would get the same love and attention as our first. So he worked a lot on the second ...
In spite of over thirty years as an educator, the proclamation of a snow day still results in whoops of joy and disbelief. As much as I love teaching, there is simply nothing like “found time” and the chance to either chill out or ramp up and finally take care of those niggling chores that never seem to disappear from my “to do” list. Step inside any faculty room right before a predicted weather event. There’s a palpable air of fun and excitement. Business-like teachers we...
When I was a kid, my family didn’t have much money, but we managed just fine. We normally couldn’t afford fancy vacations and just spent a week at the beach each summer. Our dream was to visit the relatively new Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida.We saved our money for years for that trip. A huge map of the Magic Kingdom hung over our kitchen table for inspiration, and we’d pore over it and talk about visiting at dinner every night. We saved coins, scrimped on spending, ...
Positioned halfway between the Equator and the North Pole, Romania is the 12th largest country in the South-Eastern Europe. Many think since the country once under Soviet rule or former Eastern bloc country, there is nothing interesting there to watch or speak about. That is misleading. Romania is one of the most beautiful places in Eastern Europe, attracting mass tourism and welcoming people from all walks of life.Romanian has wonderful tales which have generated curiosity...
What is it about the state of HAPPINESS that has it in such high demand? Parents often wish only for their children to “be happy’ while the world and the web are filled with ideas and strategies around searching for and finding our bliss. Some suggest that we may be able to create a world of fulfillment, that we may even have control over our own happiness; invite luck, work hard, aim high, be the best, have more, be more, do more. Still others, with a different view, teach ...
What if you didn’t open the report card? What if instead, you relied upon their actions, on what you see before you, on what you know to be true? Would you know how your child is doing in school, at home, in life, in the world?We need school teachers; those who lift us up from where we are lying, who impart information and wisdom , who cause a shift in perspective, who teach us what we need to know and what we don’t want to hear. We need teachers who reach out to a part o...
What is it about the future that we are convinced will be better than now, than this very moment? Why are we always reaching beyond our grasp; do we imagine the future is more hopeful, holds more promise or more possibility? Do we realize that all of those future moments that we once wished upon, have already come and gone and have been our present, and become our past; today is last week’s future. Is it what you dreamed?On Monday morning, the news shows are already predi...

Advertiser

Coupons for Life - 5% to 50% Off

As an educational writing initiative, StageofLife.com is fortunate to have the support of hundreds of brands who support this writing community and our literacy mission.  Because of that, you can save 5% to 50% off with Stage of Life's free My Life Rewards® program. 

Get discounts at Applebee's, Papa John's, Lenovo, AAMCO, and many more...

Applebee's gift card discountDiscount on pizza at PapaJohns.com from StageofLife.com Lenovo discount from StageofLife.com AAMCO auto discount from StageofLife.com