Writing Community about Raising a Family

Stage of Life - Parenting Blog

Share Your Parenting Story.  Entering our Writing Contests for Parents.  Save Money too...

Stage of Life® is a writing community designed for parents to share their stories about raising a family.  Get involved with our educational mission:  Enter our monthly writing contests or share your parenting experiences and explore our parenting resources such as statistics about families, quotes about raising a family, family etiquette, funny family videos, and more.  Save money with our coupons for families too. Whether you're a single parent, traditional family, or multi-generational family, we look forward to reading your parenting essays.  Your stories may just help inspire other people raising a family.  Get started now...

Enter StageofLife.com parent and family writing contest Twitter Contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for raising a family on StageofLife.com
Enter the monthly national writing contest for parents: April 2014

"First Love Writing Contest"
Don't have time to blog today?
Enter our new, "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.
Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com
Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's coupon code from StageofLife.com     Lenovo computer discount for Stage of Life members

Best of our Bloggers

Recent Writing Contests - Winners

Before you scroll down to read the essays, stories, and blogs being submitted to StageofLife.com, let's celebrate the recent writing contest winners.  We select one essay each month from across all of the non-student life stages to win our monthly blogging contest.  Basically...these winning essays are selected from all of you "grown-ups" out there writing on Stage of Life.
Enter Writing ContestsCURRENT 2014 Writing Contests - All Life Stages - ENTER NOW...

Writing contest winnerFebruary 2014 Writing Contest Winner

Writing Prompt:  "What is the meaning of the Olympic Spirit?
Winning Essay: The Olympic Spirit: Go For the Gold by Aprillw
National Press Release:  Pending

Writing contest winnerJanuary 2014 Writing Contest Winner

Writing Prompt:  "What are your hopes & fears for the new year?"
Winning Essay: Dear Peanut: I hope you never know by Melcol92
National Press Release:  View Stage of Life press release

Writing Contest WinnersPAST CONTEST WINNERS:  Find the list of our writing contest winners on our Writing Contest Winners page.

Parent Stories

Every spring, when the days become warmer, and the nights are still cold, I am reminded of our years of making maple syrup. The memories, sweet and comforting, fill me with peace. The April sun shines through the window in front of me. I feel the warmth of its rays as I sit at my desk in my drafty office. I can see the stainless steel bulk tank, salvaged from a closing dairy plant over twenty years ago, sitting up in the woods. A cocoon of overgrown thorn bushes en...
I am an Esophageal Cancer survivor that got the itch to share his journey via a blog a little over a year removed form surgery and having recently being deemed cancer free. It's gotten some good responses to the blog, so I wanted to widen my possible audience. the blog is written mostly in first person. I hope it will or would help cancer patients and even their caretakers or watchers. The address is:http://bb1364.blogspot.com --OR--http://feeds.feedburner.com/blogs...
It was 24th of December,2012....Someone lost his father who was ailing with cancer...It happened within 3 months of diagnosis..Though he knew that this was about to happen and seemed to be mentally prepared for it,it was too much to take...Father,the person because of whom he got life wasn't with him anymore...He was away,faraway with lord God almighty and he was never going to be amongst them again....A VACUUM which could never be filled...His father had taught him to be d...
We tend to see depression as the enemy assulting us by trying to crush our spirit. Is it the enemy or is it rather a friend whose strength is trying to push us down onto the ground where we are safe to learn to stand again? There is no more safer place to be than on the ground, laying low forced to recognize the bare truths of our own nature.Our nature with nature, felt again on solid ground.We are programmed, however to see depression as evil and demonic...an enemy liv...
The lawsuit filed by 18-year old, New Jersey teen, Rachel Canning, against her parents is setting precedence across the country. It’s also become a highly publicized topic of family discussions. People keeping up with the case have watched it play out like a wrestling match:In one corner, you have Rachel Canning, a high school senior. She left her parents’ home and moved in with a friend voluntarily, according to her parents.In the other corner, you’ll find her parents, Se...
In our family, we have handed down something a little different. There’s the height, brown hair and blue eyes for most of us, of course. And we are not exactly graceful. A pale complexion is a regular gift as well. But, there is more, a gift that isn’t so visible and obvious… a tendency for crazy. It is a genetic story that binds us all together in a peculiar puzzling patchwork. Some kinds of crazy are just seeds that wither and die. The genes with skewed progr...
Do you know how badly lit dressing rooms can make you feel horrible about yourself? You see the dark circles under your eyes, your skin takes on a sickly green pallor because of the fluorescent lighting, and your thighs are way bigger than you remembered? You know that the reflection belongs to you, but somehow you are your worst version of yourself in that dressing room and nothing fits or looks even remotely appealing enough to purchase. That's what Jennifer Senior's book ...
Growing up with a Mother who has bi-polar was difficult. The highs and lows are difficult to ride as a child who doesn’t even know what mental illness is. She loved us, she did some amazing things for us, but there was always a struggle, a strange swing between knitting our entire family sweaters (at least 30 sweaters), and being in bed for days and days on end. I didn’t understand. As I got older, and understood what was going on with my Mother, it took time to forgive thos...
Why is it so difficult for my kids to clean up after themselves? It's really simple.Put your shoes in the bin when you walk in the door. Hang your coat on the rack.Keep the blankets folded on the couch.Make sure the couch isn't pushed against the wall or it could scratch it.Be sure the two chair pillows are stacked neatly in the center.Straighten up the rug. Picture frames should be stacked and angled perfectly. Remote controls are to be placed on the table next to ...
I can feel my ears get hot. My fingertips are numb. No, not just the tips of my fingers, my whole hand feels like pins and needles. Maybe no one will notice. Oh no, now my leg is shaking and hot tears are pouring down my face. It will only be moments before my breathing will come in short gasps and my heart will feel like it is both leaping out of my chest and being crushed from the inside all at the same time. At 17, I could not verbalize these feelings, all I knew was that...
Forty. Not young, not old. How did I end up at this place? Everyday a struggle,our children always needing. I remember the day our eyes met. electric sparks flew ten feet away. Now you are gone, fourteen years of what? Fourteen years of games and lies? I am still here, the twenty-something with a quick sense of humor, and the consummate planner. I get up, I work, I come home, feed our children, love our children. Then, I look in the mirror. An ocean of everything...
I always seem to stress my Mother out. Everyone always tells her, you have the patience of a saint, or I don’t know how you do it. I don’t know why they say that. Shes always begging me to stop, pay attention, calm down, or sit still. I try to remember that grocery store isles are not made for my cartwheels, but sometimes I can’t help it. I don’t understand a lot about how grownups think, their so strange. I have a condition called A.D.H.D. Mom tells everyone we com...
Her mother is going to kill me, I thought. The four-year-old girl had come in an hour earlier, shyly trailing her mother. In her short life she had already had anesthesia and adenoid surgery for tonsils and throat infections. She also had hip problems, which is why her mother had brought her to a physical therapy clinic, to a hands-on therapist. I watched her walk in. She didn't notice much, a little hand holding tightly to the fabric of her mother's skirt. Dwarfed by the ...
We all have those times when we take “mental health days” off from work. In 2012, I exceeded the number of paid time off days. My dad was diagnosed with leukemia and fought for his life for nine months in the hospital. Time with him was more important than not. I am a therapist. Those negative ways of coping that I advised clients not to do, well, I did them. As time passed I didn’t cry as often, but I still cried. I still went over the “what ifs” on a daily basis. I still ha...
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, commonly known as ADHD, is a behavioral disorder that affects approximately 8%-10% of school age kids, mostly boys. ADHD is most often diagnosed during the early childhood, especially as awareness of the disorder has become more common and understood. It is believed that the earlier diagnosis is made and treatment begins, the better chance an individual has of leading a normal, healthy life. ADHD is characterized the the inabilit...
How often do you get asked what you do for a living? It's a common conversation-starter, and since deciding to leave my career to stay home with my twins, it's something I've felt insecure about answering. But not anymore, and you shouldn't either! Society has a funny way of making us stay-at-home moms feel like we don't have "real" jobs. But our jobs go beyond the average 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m work day.Last week, I was at a new doctor's office filling out patient forms. Un...
When my husband and I met ten years ago on Orcas Island, we would spend a considerable amount of time dreaming of living alternatively. The thought of a house in a neighborhood bored us to tears. We wanted different, we wanted a little hardship in our living, and we wanted to physically work for what we had. The standard American way of living never looked that lovely to us. Don’t get me wrong, I drool over perfectly styled spaces. Historic homes will always tug at my he...
Recently, my eight-year old lost one of her teeth and she was excited. The tooth fairy hands out quite a bit of money in our household. It's almost worth knocking out a few of my own if they weren't permanent. Sometimes a little pain is worth the extra money. The tooth fairy has been somewhat reliable in the past, but this particular time she must have been very busy. I've never felt so bad in my life.Night One:Placing the tooth carefully in a zip-lock baggie, my daught...
Motherhood sometimes sucks.  Some days I question everything- how I lost my temper when Raina told me I had to do the laundry because her hamper was overflowing (doesn't she understand that I already completed 5 loads of laundry that day and the overflowing was due to her use of 3 towels at bath time?), or how I told Story I didn't have time to read another Ariel book with her on the couch because I needed to answer emails.  Some days I feel inadequate because I don't want to...
My wife, son, daughter and I were out furniture shopping a few days ago. As we were leaving and my hands were full manipulating a cart that refused to roll straight, my wife suddenly gasped. With our one year old in her arms along with a bag over packed with the needs of having small children, she asked wide eyed "Where's Connor?!?!" Our 3 year old son had slipped under our normally eagle eyed watch and wandered off into a crazily busy IKEA check out area. My stomach dropped ...
Trying to stay fit, when you have a busy schedule such as work, kids etc. can be really hard. but i have a good news for you its so easy to stay fit from your house without having to worry or always go to the gym , it might be hard or tough but once you can stay fit within the comfort of your own home you start to say i was right. below i will list seven easy buy strict ways you can try to do once in a while so as to stay fit and healthy .Staying fit and healthy not only put...
Decision making is not limited to animals like humans or birds. Bacteria also make decisions with intricate precision. Imagine being so tiny that you are literally moved by water molecules bumping into you. This is what bacteria encounter perpetually. Now, imagine having no eyes, no ears, no sense of touch, no taste or nose. How would you know what or who was around you? How would you find food now as compared to where you were a short time ago? This is where being able to se...
My 4 year old daughter can tell you how old she is even though her concept of time is essentially nonexistent. She can’t wait to be “big”, which in her mind is 5 years old. However, the rest of us are not much better at answering the question about how old we are. Yes, we are correct about our legally recognized age, but we are way off on our natural age.We’re all the same age…really oldAtomic levelSince everything is made up of matter, we all consist of atoms. These atom...
I’m not a scientist at the bench anymore. My wife told me I had to stop playing and get a real job (a.k.a. graduate). However, I have very fond memories of my days studying chemotaxis. Bacteria, despite all modes of intimidation, do not follow our commands. They dance to the beat of a different drum, internal programming. Following the scientific method is easy but hard. You can make observations all you want (in my case 6 and half years and over 40 hours of video), but descr...
I’ve often learned things the hard way, thus lessons I’ve learned while being married are no different. Let’s go back to the beginning to help support my point. I had been in the Army for nine years when I met my wife Allegra and made it very clear I was not going to give up my chosen career. Actually, the day we got married actually went like this: I started my lunch break at 11:30 AM, we went to the Court House, got married, and me and my best man (if Court House marriages ...
Although organizing this letter may take away from the overall aesthetic of the letter, it’s a direct reflection of who I am-organized, usually riding the line between normal and full blown OCD. So, first topic is hopes for 2014 (in relation to you). I would say I hope you graduate basic training, but, that is something I know, not something I’m simply hoping for. So, the first thing I hope for is that you learn to lean on Christ in your life. Now that you’ve o...
My sweet little peanut, It’s funny, we started calling you that because you were so tiny that you barely fit into “premie” clothes and size one diapers. We have come a long way from those days and you are growing beautifully. In these first two years of life you have shown more drive and determination than some people show in a lifetime. Your "limitations" and the label doctors have placed on you have not been able to define you because somehow you push through and keep on...
When people ask me what I’m getting The Beast for Christmas, I tell them the truth. I’m probably just going to give him a new paper bag from Dunkin' Donuts. Shut up, it’s his favorite toy next to the paper towel roll, and the bag is getting a little tattered. He could really use a new one.Stop shaking your head like you’re better than me. I tried, okay. I got him one of those dolls with a crinkly skirt that sounds almost exactly the same as his paper bag. Guess what? ...
I sit here today staring at pictures of the two of you as babies. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would have twins, and yet here you are. You are both young ladies and about to start the great adventure into college. I know you think it's corny, but I am so proud of you both, that those words just don't express what I really feel. There are no words to adequately describe everything I feel for you both. I never dreamed my premature sickly babies would grow into t...
I can't go to a baseball game, or any professional game without crying. Something inside me just snaps hearing that song. You see, I'm an American citizen, but not born here. I was born in Havana, Cuba. To come here my young parents had to stay apart for almost 7 years. My dad couldn't leave when we were given our VISA's. I remember very little of the time when my 23 year old mom, 50 year old grandma and 4 year old me got here. We didn't know the language and didn't have a p...

Advertiser

Coupons for Life - 5% to 50% Off

As an educational writing initiative, StageofLife.com is fortunate to have the support of hundreds of brands who support this writing community and our literacy mission.  Because of that, you can save 5% to 50% off with Stage of Life's free My Life Rewards® program. 

Get discounts at Target.com, Papa John's, Lenovo, AAMCO, and many more...
Discount at Target.com on StageofLife.com Discount on pizza at PapaJohns.com from StageofLife.com Lenovo discount from StageofLife.com AAMCO auto discount from StageofLife.com