Writing Community about Raising a Family

Stage of Life - Parenting Blog

Share Your Parenting Story.  Entering our Writing Contests for Parents.  Save Money too...

Stage of Life® is a writing community designed for parents to share their stories about raising a family.  Get involved with our educational mission:  Enter our monthly writing contests or share your parenting experiences and explore our parenting resources such as statistics about families, quotes about raising a family, family etiquette, funny family videos, and more.  Save money with our coupons for families too. Whether you're a single parent, traditional family, or multi-generational family, we look forward to reading your parenting essays.  Your stories may just help inspire other people raising a family.  Get started now...

Enter StageofLife.com parent and family writing contest Twitter Contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for raising a family on StageofLife.com
Enter the monthly national writing contest for parents: Oct. 2014

"Story of a Scar"
Don't have time to blog today?
Enter our new, "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.
Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com
Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's coupon code from StageofLife.com     Lenovo computer discount for Stage of Life members

Best of our Bloggers

Recent Writing Contest Winners

Winning Essay WritersWinning Writing Contest EssaysBefore you scroll down to read the essays, stories, and blogs being submitted to StageofLife.com, let's celebrate the recent writing contest winners.  We select one essay each month from across all of the non-student life stages to win our monthly blogging contests

Basically...these winning essays are selected from all of you "grown-ups" out there writing on Stage of Life...

Past Writing Contest Winners

Parent Stories

I have a scar on each knee. I’m not embarrassed by them, though I feel a little stupid for how they came to be. I tell the story if anyone asks. But, at my age, most have scars and most don’t ask about yours. So I hadn’t given these nearly matching marks much thought for probably years. I’m helping some coworkers help some kids. We are in Honduras because the military sent us. We are at the orphanage because we want to help while we are here. I don’t speak Spanish but I care...
My scar is a deep half-moon, etched into my pinky finger, just below the nail bed. As scars go, it isn’t very dramatic. It doesn’t scream, “Knife fight!” Or, “Daring rescue!”Rather it says softly, “Made spaghetti Bolognese from scratch.” Even that description is a bit of a head scratcher when it comes to the story of a scar. Meat sauce=a scar? My children were twelve and five at the time, and I had been seized with the spirit of homemaking that overtakes me at the be...
When my son was two and a half years old, he had such perfectly smooth skin, free of scars. One ultrasound changed that forever. One ultrasound showed a tumor in his abdomen. He was diagnosed with high risk stage four neuroblastoma. His little body was cut open from one side to the other. And then it was cut open from one side to the other three more times after that during the next year. His little body had a central line in place for over a year. His little body went throug...
My son has a scar. Let me restate that, my son has a scar because of me. Writing this would have been difficult for me three months ago, but this moment in our lives has only furthermore proven that obstacles make you a stronger person. I thank God that it was nothing serious, nothing some Neosporin couldn’t help with. On July 23rd, my better half, my son, and I took a trip to the La Brea Tar Pits. I was excited to have this day out with my little family, but my passion fo...
When our first daughter was born she was proclaimed perfect. She did inherit her father’s large German head. But, not to worry. All the more room for what was sure to be her remarkably large brain. She had the characteristic notched earlobes that are a cherished paternal family quirk, but that made her even “more perfect”! She turned into a chatty two year old that welcomed her sister into the family with little disruption in her life. For me, not so much. I had start...
Most scars are accidental. Physical scars inflicted on others are derived from situations that had some hilarious, unforeseen, or wicked twist. There are intentional scars as well. My scar is a little bit of both. I have three wonderful, albeit challenging, children. The first scar I have ever received was because of my oldest son. I’m scarred for life.The entire pregnancy was typical. Everything was totally average. As I grew to house-sized proportions, I grew more excited...
I saw the car barreling towards our car and I remember screaming and hearing the loud metal crashing sound as it smashed into the passenger door where I sat. It seemed like slow motion but at the same time over within a second. My boyfriend, who was driving, noticed that my leg was bleeding. I stared confused because my leg didn’t have a cut on it. All of a sudden a searing pain started in the back right side of my head. I touched it and when I took my hands away they we...
I tore open the flesh of my dominant hand on the night I said goodbye to my childhood friend. It was the end of summer after high school. I was drunk. He, moving away. The first, great precipice of life, lay before us. I could feel the edge. Rough, uncertain. Dangling. The warmth of the day fled as late August in Montana will do. The night crept in coldly, a gasoline campfire going at Black Sands, by the river. Many came to see him off; in a tourist town, bordering nothing...
[size=6]My scar, my physical scar, sits solemnly as a reminder to the beginning of my childhood’s end. Slightly faded, and while small (less than an inch), it boasts broadly along my lower neck. The larger scar is unseen on my heart, on my soul, and in my mind. My surgery was 2012 for a partial thyroidectomy, left lobe, noncancerous tumor removed as my husband, daughters, daddy, and mom watch over and take care of me. They hold my hand, they hug and kiss me, and all is oka...
In Barbara Abercrombie’s Writing Out the Storm, I read a passage written by Laura: “I love my scar. Scars are tangible proof that we have healed.” I don’t love my scar. In my glass-is-half-empty moments, I see my scar as physical proof of my body’s betrayal, of my weakness, of my lack of control, of my fear. In my glass-is-half-full moments I see my scar as physical proof that I am strong, resilient, and brave. My scar, the result of a muscle biopsy, is on the back ...
We’ve all had those days. You know what I’m talking about. You feel cursed from the moment you wake up and no matter how you try to put a happy spin on the day or turn it all around, things keep getting worse. We had that kind of a day last Monday. The day drifted into “terrible” territory at my 5 year old, Story’s, allergist appointment. We waited in the hot examining room for the doctor to arrive for over 35 minutes. When she finally knocked on the door, Story blurt...
She was a sweet sixteen sitting there as innocent as could be. Thoughts went through her mind as the teacher mumbled away. Not focused on anything really; she was as smart as a whip. Then out flows the blood, a dark deep red. She knew from whence it came, but not sure why it did. Her hands trembling, she sought help. When the teacher asked how, she could not tell. One day in school was pig dissection day. She was dissecting and her mind and her heart began to race as she be...
Who am I? A wife, a mother, a daughter, a sister a friend, health care provider. I wear many hats but there's one that I'm most proud of-that of survivor. Twelve years ago, at the age of 35, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I was young, I was scared and I felt alone. After a week of feeling sorry for myself, I decided to deal with this head on. At the time, I was a single mother with a six year old and I had to be strong for him. There was a mastectomy, radiatio...
MMOOOMMM! Yup, that’s me. I’m a mom. Not just a mom but a Mmooommm! It is the best job in the entire world. It encompasses every thing and all of my time. It is a job I never want to quit. Mmooommm is yelled in so many different ways. There is the “Mmooomm, I’m hungry” yell; the “Mmooommm, you’re so awkward;” the “Mmooommm, I’m in trouble;” the “Mmooommm, where are you?” Then we have the “Mmooommm, I need my shoes, my lunchbag, my sweatshirt, my karate gi, my jeans, my b...
I’m a wife, mother, office worker, avid reader, dog owner, etc. There are numerous ways to describe me at this stage in my life. However, I believe my identity is synonymous with my passion, my love of swimming. I consider it my passion because I feel total peace and pure joy when I’m swimming. I identify myself as a swimmer because of my innate love of water combined with key defining experiences that enhanced this passion. I feel it’s who I am no matter what else is ha...
I visited my sister Sasha 5 years ago when her first son Joshua was born. We have always had a tumultuous relationship and I wanted to show sisterly support. I traveled from South Africa to England and the ticket was expensive (800 pounds). I traveled with my 2 year old daughter Milly, our suitcase half-filled with gifts for my sister and her new baby. Before travelling I had asked previously if she would like me to come and she said that she would. I asked if it would be O...
This morning my 5 year old daughter Story and I skipped to school. After she started galloping beside me on our walk to school because she felt cowgirlish in her brown boots with the glittery pink stars, I couldn’t help but ask her what other “sweet moves” she had. “I can do a jumping jack, Mommy. All you do is ROCKET (pause) PENCIL!” She demonstrated how to get the arms coordinated with the legs for a jumping jack. She lifted her arms and formed a triangle with her leg...
I have 4 kids but the one I am writing about is my daughter Chelsea she joined the Army at 19. I know from the time she was born she was going to be a little fire cracker and she did not let me down. All through school she wanted to help people and be involved in anything she could from dance to extreme sports like racing motocross dirt bikes and snow boarding but it did not stop there she got into MMA fighting and boxing. Chelsea is my youngest of 4 always striving to be the...
After a great dea of hand wringing We finally had the talk a few nights ago with our son. NO, NOT THAT TALK! I don’t do that particular talk unless I’m cornered like a wild fanged woodland animal. Perhaps I’m a bit old fashioned, but I prefer to leave the teaching of those particular life lessons to my children to be given to them by a third party. I’m okay with that third party being an informative/graphic brochures, checked-out health teachers, or various GoDadd...
With that final painful and exhilarating push I heard my son's first soft cry as he emerged into the world, and then felt his still slimy body squirm against my chest as the nurse placed him upon me. The wind seemed to be knocked out of me as I could barely breathe from the physical exhaustion and the wave of emotion that had overcome me. I was holding MY child. Within seconds I had gone from being just me, to being someone's Mommy. I could have read every parenting book in t...
I’m playing “seeing eye dog”, or more accurately, driver for the driver while Dan’s eye heals. Not my idea of a great job, but allows him to keep the job while his body recovers. It does provide short time bursts for reading or scribbling during the day while he delivers and picks up. But, sitting behind the wheel for most of the day is a real challenge for a person who has trouble sitting still. A few cool sights: brand new Audis coming off the transport with car covers....
Akimbo in the Saturday Morning GlowAnd what was the world if not a benevolent light beaming upon each of our neighborhoods while the periphery and all outside grew less defined, less real, and more unimportant as it sprawled away. Those Saturday morning cartoons, first emitted from small, thick, green screens that made their way across a carpet and pajamas to our transfixed eyes chasing images like fish in a bowl. “Saturday morning cartoons?” my daughter asks, still bending...
The decision to move a parent, family elder or any loved one to a nursing home can be not only difficult but positively heart rending. You could have doubts about your decision and question its wisdom. You may feel some amount of guilt because of the misconception that nursing homes are for people with families who don’t care for them. However there is no need to feel guilty. You are by no means abandoning the loved one. Ultimately the decision has to be made based on wha...
This article doesn’t presume to rescue you by telling you how to make a momentous change in your life in a few hundred words. What it does aim to do is, to motivate you to make a change; to make a start towards regaining your life, regaining control over your own happiness and well being. At a time when you probably think the situation is hopeless, this is a small attempt to help you make a start towards beating your addiction and reclaiming your life which currently seems to...
I can do it! I flex my left arm muscle wearing my dingy jean shirt, rolled and tied appropriately. My paisley designed red head scarf wraps my unkempt hair. I am the new age Rosie the Riveter wielding the world wide web as her tool. I feel like Wonderwoman. And not her sidekick, either. I am the woman herself -- in all of her strength, power and badness. I can DIY and how-to with the best. Yeah, I'm far from delusional. (I hope.) I do understand it's the 21s...
Wendy Kennar 481 wordswkennar@yahoo.comwendykennar.blogspot.com YouTube: Bringing the World to My Son My son and I discovered YouTube together. Before he was born, I had causally dismissed YouTube as a wasteland filled with videos of people hoping to be discovered. But, as I continually attempt to expose my son to the world around him, my family and I have turned to YouTube as an additional resource. My son sits on my lap, and as we watch together we’re ...
A Summer Place There is a place we go every summer that has a long winding path covered with trees that hang low over the path and the blue water of the ocean shimmers in the distance; the ink-gold sun hangs heavy in the sky, puffs of high clouds dancing over us; and we walk this way every morning and every evening to and from the beach. The birds sing high and low a song of freedom and possibility. This song reaches out to us like the long winding p...
My brother always loved to be in the spotlight. Growing up, Tanner was always donning silly costumes and performing routines that made us laugh. He didn’t know how to not perform. He loved the attention and the spotlight—he couldn’t wait to be a real actor one day. When other kids in his kindergarten class filled in their “What I want to be when I grow up” worksheets with things like “doctor” or “astronaut” or “teacher,” Tanner would write “actor/ movie director.” The boy was...
Physical, mental, and emotional safety is the most important creed that a parent must uphold. Any parent knows or will soon find out that ensuring safety is easier said than done. Life interferes. We cannot always control what dangers our children stumble across. The internet, other individuals, and rapidly progressing modern technology has left our children more vulnerable than ever. As parents, we are scurrying to keep up. With the proper technology you can increase the cha...
Words to the Graduates: Tomorrow is promised to no one, but the choice to act is yours.There are no guarantees in life…only choices. Today marks a step in the path of your life. A place of no real answers. In fact, often more questions than answers. You have met expectations: some were your own, some were imposed upon you. What comes next is the real deal. This graduation ceremony is dramatic to serve a purpose: that is to etch in your mind that you hav...

Advertiser

Coupons for Life - 5% to 50% Off

As an educational writing initiative, StageofLife.com is fortunate to have the support of hundreds of brands who support this writing community and our literacy mission.  Because of that, you can save 5% to 50% off with Stage of Life's free My Life Rewards® program. 

Get discounts at Target.com, Papa John's, Lenovo, AAMCO, and many more...
Discount at Target.com on StageofLife.com Discount on pizza at PapaJohns.com from StageofLife.com Lenovo discount from StageofLife.com AAMCO auto discount from StageofLife.com