Writing Community about Raising a Family

Stage of Life - Parenting Blog

Share Your Parenting Story.  Entering our Writing Contests for Parents.  Save Money too...

Stage of Life® is a writing community designed for parents to share their stories about raising a family.  Get involved with our educational mission:  Enter our monthly writing contests or share your parenting experiences and explore our parenting resources such as statistics about families, quotes about raising a family, family etiquette, funny family videos, and more.  Save money with our coupons for families too. Whether you're a single parent, traditional family, or multi-generational family, we look forward to reading your parenting essays.  Your stories may just help inspire other people raising a family.  Get started now...

Enter StageofLife.com parent and family writing contest Twitter Contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for raising a family on StageofLife.com
Enter the monthly international writing contest for parents:
May 2015
"Teacher Appreciation"
Don't have time to blog today?
Enter our new, "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.
Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com
Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's coupon code from StageofLife.com     Lenovo computer discount for Stage of Life members

Best of our Bloggers

Recent Writing Contest Winners

Winning Essay WritersWinning Writing Contest EssaysBefore you scroll down to read the essays, stories, and blogs being submitted to StageofLife.com, let's celebrate the recent writing contest winners.  We select one essay each month from across all of the non-student life stages to win our monthly blogging contests

Basically...these winning essays are selected from all of you "grown-ups" out there writing on Stage of Life...

Past Writing Contest Winners

Parent Stories

May 25, 2015If She Could See Me Now I wasn’t the greatest student in high school. Falling off the grid some days, really did start to interfere with my usual perfect attendance. I was intelligent, and I could do the school work. I just simply chose not to. I didn’t despise school. I actually was quite fond of learning. I was just simply going through a rough patch. I was struggling to find my identity, unaware that worrying why I didn’t have my life together at seventee...
I have organised a christening and first birthday celebration for my son. We will be taking everyone to lunch after the service at an upmarket restaurant. Family are coming from overseas with their children for the event. Myself and my husband are paying for this.It is expensive but we can afford it if we work hard.My mother in law has insisted on contributing a significant amount of money for the lunch. My husband agreed to this but I am not comfortable with it.i feel it is ...
Here I am, 52 years young and I find myself in a place that I thought I had long ago left behind‒ never to revisit. I lovingly refer to this as my dyslexic dating stage; as the last time I was single was in 1985 and I was 25.I am not sure how I ended up in this strange land. I packed my bags, bought a one-way ticket (or so I thought) to paradise, buckled up and took off on a journey only to arrive at an alternate destination due to unavoidable inclement weather.As the...
They say that death and taxes are the only guarantees in life, yet I contend that somewhere in the middle, there sits the guarantee of change, and while my personality doesn’t appreciate it’s concept, it does stand to reason that even I saw the need for it’s implementation. Change may not always be good, but change is always change, and if I’ve learned anything, it’s that change can be tolerable, if one is willing to go with the flow…I guess. At the age of 43, I had to go b...
I’m a single parent living with my disabled daughter, and the two of us are graciously allowed to live with Taffy, our cat. Taffy lets us clean her apartment, pay bills, provide food for her to eat, furniture for her to lounge on and toys for her to play with. In return, she bestows upon us the honor of letting us bask in her radiance, a most prestigious honor not bestowed upon many and hardly ever bestowed upon a couple of morons like us. Cat to human communication is...
Fighting in a relationship is considered a bad communication, a failure to reach out to your partner and prove your point of view, which usually works both ways. In fact, fighting is treated as an emotional abuse, and like any other type of abuse it’s bad for relationships, especially when kids are involved too. Do you have fights with your partner on an occasional basis, where the two ...
On my son Billy’s twelfth birthday, per his wish, I took him to a pet store to buy a hamster. We were both excited. He immediately picked one out, a cute fluffy teddy bear hamster. The clerk put the hamster into a small thin paper box. I questioned if we should put him in the plastic hamster ball we bought, but she assured us that the hamster would be fine in the box. As soon as we got into the car Billy opened the box to check on him. The hamster quickly jumped out of the ...
Otis Redding’s “These Arms of Mine” just played on my Pandora station. That song floods my mind with memories of my first dance at my wedding reception. I thought about how young my husband and I were. How we had our whole lives in front of us, and mostly I thought about how much has changed in these past 15 years. The biggest changes besides more gray hair, creakier knees, more wrinkles and other unsightly freckles that seem to pop up every time I venture outside, ar...
A friend asked my boyfriend and I to come stay at her home. She didnt like where we were living and she needed someone looking after her home. She never paid me and we never had to pay rent. However We did repair Work, and kept up yard and house. We both received mail there. When she came home I said we would leave. She said there was no reason for us to leave because she came home. Now out of the blue she said we need to leave knowing we had know where to go and he was just ...
Chester the Rottweiler was enjoying his morning walk. It was still cool outside and there weren't a lot of cars going by yet. He liked to listen to the birds and the other sounds in the neighborhood. He also liked to sniff the trees, the leaves, the grass and especially the fire hydrant on the corner.Chester greeted his dog friends. He would sniff and woof softly to them through their fence. They would sniff and woof back. Cats were a different story. Chester didn’t trust c...
Climate influences our lifestyle and emotions. Weather plays a pivotal role in our life. It helps us to calm down, sometime instils fury or instigates fear. It plays on our emotions. Once, my dearest buddy had the strongest argument with me and left the place with “sound and fury”. It was mid-afternoon, very hot and she was also heated with anger. I sat there like Buddha, under a tree contemplating, unknowing the reason. I was isolated in my thoughts and slept off under the t...
Nutan heard the rustle of leaves and someone was walking towards her. It was a cold wintery night. The coldness left her unperturbed. Silence stole the storm in her. He wore a dark suit with purple cuff. His silence strangled her thoughts. Slowly, he leaped towards her taking to her reminiscence. On a same wintery day, when she was in her 18, she felt the same warmth shrouded under the hug of a masculine figure. She waited for six long years to get the same warmth. The coldne...
I’m jolted awake to a bloodcurdling wails. The horrific noises interrupt my pleasant dreams of eating chocolate and drinking vino, yet never gaining a pound. I glance at the clock; it’s 5:30 in the morning. I stumble out of bed in the darkness, only half awake, tripping over an English Setter, who is apparently not much of a watch dog. He yelps. I glance over at the lump next to me, my husband, snoring loudly. The sounds do not disrupt his sleep. I wonder what wou...
My son was thrilled to be going away to a weeklong residence summer camp. It wasn’t very far from our home, but per camp rules he wasn’t allowed to take his cell phone or any electronics with him. Therefore, we’d have no contact the entire week. The camp requested that parents only call the camp office in case of a true emergency. I was very excited for him, but also, as a mom, naturally worried about him being away from home and not being able to check in on him. During th...
Hi, Just wanted to share our creative baby announcement parody video with expecting families. It's so exciting to have a bun in the oven! With our first son we made the Bieber parody http://youtu.be/ADGp39UejnYI was opposed to doing the second video for our second child because it took a long time for us to get the first video up. But my husband wanted to make sure from the start our son would get the same love and attention as our first. So he worked a lot on the second ...
In spite of over thirty years as an educator, the proclamation of a snow day still results in whoops of joy and disbelief. As much as I love teaching, there is simply nothing like “found time” and the chance to either chill out or ramp up and finally take care of those niggling chores that never seem to disappear from my “to do” list. Step inside any faculty room right before a predicted weather event. There’s a palpable air of fun and excitement. Business-like teachers we...
When I was a kid, my family didn’t have much money, but we managed just fine. We normally couldn’t afford fancy vacations and just spent a week at the beach each summer. Our dream was to visit the relatively new Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida.We saved our money for years for that trip. A huge map of the Magic Kingdom hung over our kitchen table for inspiration, and we’d pore over it and talk about visiting at dinner every night. We saved coins, scrimped on spending, ...
Positioned halfway between the Equator and the North Pole, Romania is the 12th largest country in the South-Eastern Europe. Many think since the country once under Soviet rule or former Eastern bloc country, there is nothing interesting there to watch or speak about. That is misleading. Romania is one of the most beautiful places in Eastern Europe, attracting mass tourism and welcoming people from all walks of life.Romanian has wonderful tales which have generated curiosity...
What is it about the state of HAPPINESS that has it in such high demand? Parents often wish only for their children to “be happy’ while the world and the web are filled with ideas and strategies around searching for and finding our bliss. Some suggest that we may be able to create a world of fulfillment, that we may even have control over our own happiness; invite luck, work hard, aim high, be the best, have more, be more, do more. Still others, with a different view, teach ...
What if you didn’t open the report card? What if instead, you relied upon their actions, on what you see before you, on what you know to be true? Would you know how your child is doing in school, at home, in life, in the world?We need school teachers; those who lift us up from where we are lying, who impart information and wisdom , who cause a shift in perspective, who teach us what we need to know and what we don’t want to hear. We need teachers who reach out to a part o...
What is it about the future that we are convinced will be better than now, than this very moment? Why are we always reaching beyond our grasp; do we imagine the future is more hopeful, holds more promise or more possibility? Do we realize that all of those future moments that we once wished upon, have already come and gone and have been our present, and become our past; today is last week’s future. Is it what you dreamed?On Monday morning, the news shows are already predi...
On a recent anniversary trip, my husband and I reflected on our 30 years of marriage and why we were still enjoying friendship and love. Having been only 19 and 20 when we wed, our chances of reaching 50 and still being together and happy, were slim.At 13 ½ years old, I had looked at the Scottish boy visiting next door as a wonderful easy summer boyfriend. And, while I didn’t understand much of what he said through that thick Scottish brogue, I understood cute and differ...
"A woman is like a teabag; you never how strong it is untilit's in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt. Awwww young love, the butterflies,and blushing.... uuuhhhh ooohhh,young pregnancy, so I guess young marriage has to happento prevent the new grandfather from exploding. Everything the first year was a fairy tale...Slowly things started slippingso I did what any wife I thoughtwould do, had another son.The results played out differentin my head. ...
Being married is harder than what most people think. I've been married for 7 and a half months, and im only twenty years old and my wife is twenty-seven years old. She has three children that I consider my own. Times are hard because I don't have no job and im currently in school. There are many things that bring stress in a relationship that only make things harder. There's money, family, friends, work, kids, and many more. To me of course all those things are pushed to the ...
About three months ago, my fianccee's 2nd cousin moved in with us. She had been inappropriately touched by her step-dad, and as a 17 year old, giving her some place safe was of utmost importance.In the meantime, I was driving her to school 3 days a week and allowing her use my vehicle after dropping me off at work, to get to school, and afterwards she would pick me up. My fiancée would allow her to drive her truck on the other two days during the week with a similar arr...
My trials an tribulations came when I became a mother at the age of 23 don't get me wrong my daughter was the best thing that could have happend to me.Becomming a parent made me try harder and I pushed myself harder.Although my past mistakes hunt me to this day,And I have never had help from her father onky his mother.When I say he is very cold hearted I mean that.So I had a baby by another man then I went back to my first baby daddy and mad another girl.Wow!!I know what was...
Although I am a heterosexual, cisgender woman, I have an idea of what it is like for LGBTs to be “in the closet.” I love to talk about my activities at the school where I teach, but this year, when I stepped up to co-advise the school’s gay straight alliance, I did not tell many people.I love this club, but I don’t talk about it because I’m scared of the reactions from those who are judgemental towards LGBT people. In June 2013, when everyone changed their Facebook profil...
I took Portia in for her three-year check up. I was relieved that this would be one of the easy ones-- no vaccines required! I figured we'd bounce those curls in the through the door, check out her ears and walk right out again.I was wrong.The questions started out easy enough. "Is she saying 600 words?" Asked the nurse. Portia is very talkative, and has been so from an early age, so at first I nodded. Then I began to try to calculate what 600 words she knew...
Prior to begetting two daughters two plus years age difference (the eldest heading into her nineteenth year since December 22, 2014), I put myself at the center of importance. Energy pursuing any endeavor (or simply spending time sequestered alone – the latter more predominant than the former), the focus of true value predicated on yours truly i.e. Matthew Scott Harris. Throughout the course of family affairs whence commencement of being a papa took place (bu...
Having successful communication with the older people requires special communication strategies and skills. Below you will find some tips that may help you communicate with seniors better, however not all of them can be applied to every individual situation. Let’s try to figure out the ways to make relationships with older adults more positive.Patience, my friend Dealing with elderly people requires maximum compassion and patience. Remember that they are faci...

Advertiser

Coupons for Life - 5% to 50% Off

As an educational writing initiative, StageofLife.com is fortunate to have the support of hundreds of brands who support this writing community and our literacy mission.  Because of that, you can save 5% to 50% off with Stage of Life's free My Life Rewards® program. 

Get discounts at Applebee's, Papa John's, Lenovo, AAMCO, and many more...

Applebee's gift card discountDiscount on pizza at PapaJohns.com from StageofLife.com Lenovo discount from StageofLife.com AAMCO auto discount from StageofLife.com