On My Own Writing Contest

Writing Contest for Singles

Blogging Contest for Singles

See blogging contest rules, prizes and submission button below...

Are you single?  Stage of Life wants to hear about your experiences living on your own as you consider our monthly national writing prompt.  Whether you're a blogger or just someone who loves to write, share your story with the Stage of Life writing community.

How to Enter?

1. Read rules below
  2. Read writing contest prompt below
  3. Submit your essay online to (as instructed below) via the BLUE "Submit Essay" button

Writing Contest Prizes

One winning essay from across the non-student life stages on will be selected to receive...
  • Spa & Wellness gift cards by SpaWeek$50 gift card from  Spa & Wellness Cards are good at over 8,000 spas in North America.  They are redeemable year-round and never expire. is excited to sponsor the monthly writing contest! FYI - Every writer, blogger, or reader gets 15% off Spa & Wellness gift cards from SpaWeek through 2014.
  • Writing Sponsor on - Applebee's$25 gift card from Applebee's.  Applebee’s is focused on serving good food to good people. Today, what was once a popular neighborhood restaurant has grown to become a popular restaurant in neighborhoods all across North America – with almost 2,000 locations and counting.
  • Stage of Life pen
  • Signed letter of Congratulations from
  • Acknowledgment as a national blogging contest winner.  Essay winners are posted each month here - Writing Contest Winners

Writing Contest Rules

• Blogging contest for singles

Essay must relate to the theme (see below).
  • Essay must be your original work.
  • Essay can be no longer than 500 words.
  • Essay must be non-fiction and follow the form of a diary, journal, blog, memoir, or essay.  That is to say...we want real stories about real life...from you.
  • Once entered, essay will become a part of Stage of Life's public facing content so no foul language or inappropriate material.  Those entries will be removed.
  • Registration to Stage of Life is required to enter the writing contest (it's free) which will allow us to post your story to the public.

Enter the Writing Contest for Singles Now

Please read below for details on the monthly writing contest and click the blue "Submit Essay" button to submit your essay.  Good luck!

Enter Writing Contest Here...

October 2015 Writing Contest
Writing ContestsMONTHLY WRITING CONTESTS: hosts monthly international writing contests for people of all ages.  Answer the real-world writing prompt below to share your thoughts and experiences as we change the world, one story at a time.  View winners of past writing contests.

Writing Contest:  Environmental Issues

Submit Essay:
For the October 2015 writing contest, we want to know your thoughts and feelings about environmental issues.

NOTE:  Submit the title of your essay per the directions below.

"To waste, to destroy our natural resources, to skin and exhaust the land instead of using it so as to increase its usefulness, will result in undermining in the days of our children the very prosperity which we ought by right to hand down to them amplified and developed."
Theodore Roosevelt

Although environmental issues have existed for centuries, our modern day debates are taking a more dire turn.  Politicians are urging people to reevaluate how they think about, use and potentially abuse the environment.  Issues ranging from sustainability to glaciers melting, to electronic waste, to coral reef extinction are lighting up news programs and becoming part of an ongoing dialogue about the environment and who is responsible for change. 

Do you feel like the environmental issues that are bounced around even register in your overcrowded schedule? Do you contemplate what all the issues mean for your future? For the future of the planet?

For our October 2015 writing contest, we want you to really consider what you think about environmental issues.   

Use these questions to help focus and craft your essay:
  • What environmental issue do you think should cause the greatest alarm and action?
  • Do you think that you have a personal responsibility to help to solve environmental issues or do you feel helpless against the overwhelming struggle?
  • What do you think could help a specific environmental issue?   
Don’t try to answer all these questions, but use them to craft a personal essay (500 words or less) that explores the topic of Environmental Issues.
Click the blue "Submit Essay" button to the right to upload your story and enter the writing contest.

Title of Essay: 
When you submit your essay, title it as:  "Environmental Issues: ______"

Include the phrase "Environmental Issues" as the beginning of your essay title, but then make the rest of your story title unique.   Examples:
  • Environmental Issues: Trashy Behavior and the Plastic Bottle Conspiracy
  • Environmental Issues: The Quest for Water in a Parched Landscape
  • Environmental Issues: We Can’t Exist If We Refuse To Change
Three simple rules for the Stage of Life student writing contest. 

1) This is a Non-Fiction essay contest. 
2)  Essays are 500 words or less.
3)  Essays must be your original work.

Midnight Oct. 30, 2015 Pacific Time US

Finalists, Runners Up, and the Winner will be posted on our writing contest winners page after Nov. 26, 2015.

NOTE:  Winners will be contacted via a post on their uploaded story once judging is complete (approx. 30 days after contest ending).   An email will be sent to the winner(s) to get the address for the prize package approx. 1-2 months afterwards.
October 2015 Writing Contest

Enter Essay

Submit essay to writing contest

(click to submit your essay) 
Please title your essay per instructions to the right

Writing Contest Resources

Articles and Videos about Freedom of Speech:

1) Article: 
How Americans Feels about Climate Change
A short article that shows polling information about how Americans feel about climate change

2) Article: 
Climate Reality Change Project
Climate Reality Project’s website which provides an educational video about the effects of climate change across the planet

3) Article: 
Alaska and Climate Change
A New York Times article about Obama’s recent visit to Alaska where climate change is rapidly affecting the state.

4) Video 

Leyla Acaroglu’s Ted Talk on the environmental folklore of paper vs. plastic

5)  Video 

Although this video about water shortages across the planet was created by National Geographic 5 years ago, it’s even more timely now.

Writing Contest Prize Sponsors

Writing contest sponsor  Writing Contest Prize Sponsor

Don't forget that users get
 discounts on gift cards from
Spa & Wellness and Applebee's
Writing Contest Prize Package
  • The person who writes the 1st place essay across the non-student life stages on this month will receive gift cards compliments of our education sponsors, Spa & Wellness Gift Cards by SpaWeek and Applebee's.
  • Bragging rights
Please thank our sponsors this month Spa & Wellness Gift Cards by, and Applebee's for supporting the writing and literacy efforts on

Twitter writing contest by
    Enter our Twitter Contest
    Language Arts Teacher Resources
    Contact for National Writing ContestContact Us about this Teen Writing Contest 

Writing Contest Rules on StageofLife.comBe Real.  Be Yourself
    The strongest submissions for this essay contest will use a personal tone and point-of-view writing style that shares your thoughts on the topic.  If you want to make your essay even stronger, we recommend doing a little research and adding quotes or a statistic (or two). 

Quick Rules:
    • Essays should be 500 words or less.
    • You are welcome to blog on as much as you want, but only ONE essay submission per user for the writing contest is allowed.
    • Please be creative with your title, then type or cut and paste your full essay from a program like NotePad or TextEdit (don't use any formatting - just text, please) into the Story Details field (which will appear after you click the Submit Essay button above. 
    • Adjust the spacing of your essay within the essay submit form.
    • Title your essay using the instructions above so our Editors can find it in the story feeds in your life stage homepage on the website.  Example:  Here's where the high school student submissions get posted - High School
    • is a non-partisan literacy initiative.  We judge the writing contest submissions not on the political or religious stance of our writers, but rather on how creative, original, passionate, and well written the essays are.  See below for more details on our judging policy.
    • Read these tips for good essay writing to be considered a writing contest finalist
    • You will need to login to to submit your writing contest entry.  If you don't have a login, please register for (it's free). Prize Packages for Winning EssayPrize Package:  The winning writer will receive...

• A highlight as the Winning Essay on
    • Prize from the writing contest sponsor mentioned above.
    • A mention and link to your essay in Stage of Life's national monthly press release - here's a link to one of our press releases for reference.
    • NOTE:  Winners will be contacted via a post on their story once judging is complete (approx. 30 days after contest ending).   An email will be sent to the winner to get the address for the prize package approx. 2-3 months afterwards.

International Writing Contests on StageofLife.comFree Essay Contest:

This is a free writing contest. does not require a submission fee. ONE  ESSAY ENTRY PER PERSON FOR THE WRITING CONTEST.  However, you are welcome to blog about your life or other topics outside of this writing contest at any time on

Contest Deadline:  

Last day of the month at midnight Pacific Standard Time (US). time stamps all essays in Greenwich Mean Time (England) as we are an international writing initiative.  International submissions are welcome.

Winning writing contest essays on StageofLIfe.comWinning Essays: 

Of the submitted essays to for a given writing contest prompt, one student winner and one adult winner will be selected.  The winner and semi-finalists will be announced after the 20th of the following month.  Winner and semi-finalists will be contacted by a staffer via the email used to register for the website.

As we state in our Writing Contest Rules and Judging Criteria, student writers selected as our national essay finalists and winner(s) will demonstrate strong writing skills, a unique point-of-view, personal tone, originality, and realness in their essay. 

"Realness?"  Yes...realness. 

Blogging contests on StageofLife.comThe reason that journalists and organizations ranging from to Mint Education have featured our essays (especially our teen posts) in the national media is because our bloggers all write from the heart.  Real people sharing real stories about their lives.  Combine this with our position as one of the only international, non-partisan, literacy platforms in the world and you'll find Stage of Life an open environment to share your ideas. 

Post Comments: 

We'd like to encourage all participants and readers to make comments on these writing contest essays.  Please just remember to keep all comments/posts/discussions civil and in good taste in each of the essay-blog threads, especially since some of our writing prompts are sensitive in nature.  Nasty comments, personal attacks, or other such comments are not allowed and will be removed should they come to our attention.

If you have questions about the rules or judging criteria for our writing contests, you can visit our Rules & Judging Criteria page.

College student writing contest on Stage of LifeLast Words - Share Your Story: 

Our hope is that your writing contest submission will positively impact others and help with our mission of making the world a better place, one story at a time.  Your essay may inspire others or even better, give you an opportunity to share a story that's simply important to you.

After you've submitted your essay, feel free to share the link to your essay on Facebook or Twitter.  Our essays are judged by real Editors, not popularity, but we do like to spread the word about our national, grassroots writing contest.   Also, please share this writing contest with Language Arts, English and History teachers, or on your blog or website. 

If you know a teacher who would like a Stage of Life writing contest poster for his or her classroom, have them contact us.

Read more about and our mission

Good luck!  Scroll back up and click on the "Submit Essay" button to upload your essay.

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.