Writing Community about Single Living

Singles Blog on StageofLife.com

Share a Story about being "On My Own."  Enter Blogging Contests for Singles...

Stage of Life® is a writing community designed around that unique life stage of living on your own, being single, having roommates, dating and exploring new relationships (even those starting over again after a divorce).  Get involved with our literacy mission to make the world a better place through blogging:  Share a personal essay about a life experience, explore our quotes about being single, save money with our printable in-store coupons and coupon codes, and more.  Whether you're in a serious relationship or living life on your own, we look forward to reading your essays and helping you save money...throughout your single life.  Get started now...

Enter StageofLife.com singles writing contest Twitter Contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for singles on StageofLife.com
Enter the monthly national writing contest for singles: Jan. 2015

"Unsung Hero"
Don't have time to write today?
Enter our new, "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.
Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com
Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's coupon code from StageofLife.com     Lenovo computer discount for Stage of Life members

Best of our Bloggers

Recent Writing Contest Winners

Winning Essay WritersWinning Writing Contest EssaysBefore you scroll down to read the essays, stories, and blogs being submitted to StageofLife.com, let's celebrate the recent writing contest winners.  We select one essay each month from across all of the non-student life stages to win our monthly blogging contests

Basically...these winning essays are selected from all of you "grown-ups" out there writing on Stage of Life...

Past Writing Contest Winners

On My Own Stories

We only have one earth. There is renewable resources that we can use to replace fossil fuels that harm our ozone. For example the plant named hemp. It has a long history of being used in clothing and textile industry, and has been a reliable replacement/substitute for wood. By using hemp in place of chopping trees down, we can save billions of trees and millions of acres of trees for the faction of the cost and four times the harvest amount. Hemp unfortunately is illegal in m...
Are you a huge traveling aficionado with the guts to see the most unusual world’s sights? SouchSurfing suits those who wish to host travelers and teach them about their place, as well as those who want to travel around the world. Lots of tourists choose big comfortable hotels. Some stay tiny inns and hostels. But the heart of a true wonderer belongs to the beauty of the local home stay. Overall, the ball park number of those who have used the CouchSuring (or CS) service at ...
Just over a year ago, I was sitting inside a cramped room in a foreign place.Alone.Literally, alone. It wasn't the usual my-parents-aren't-home-so-I-can-do-whatever-I-want alone. This time I really COULD do whatever I wanted, and that was what scared me the most.I bet most of you can relate to the joy and excitement as well as the fears associated with living on your own for the first time. It meant independence. It meant freedom from curfews, and all those other things ...
Unsung Hero: My Heroes. I have so many heroes. I don’t think I could just give it to one person. I have so many that have done so much for me. Like my parents they have raised me to the young lady I am today. I have learned so much from them. How to be the young lady I am today. They have been a shoulder for me to lean on. They have supported me through the decisions that I have made in my life. Maybe some of them haven’t been the greatest. But I have to learn some way or an...
My unsung hero is probably my mom. She has always been there for me no matter what. We have not always got along but we have started getting along. She has struggled in her life time she was addicted to drugs for a long eight years. I had to stay with my grandparents while she figured out what to do. She finally got clean. She got baptized here recently and it was like a weight has been lifted off her shoulder and you could see it in her face. She is super supportive she ha...
When i was homeless on the streets it very hard .But made through it in many ways.Such as there were churches and so where get clothes and food.We had choice be in shelter or not but i chose the camping in tent wanted my own freedom until could find housing.I prey everyday that made through cold nights and i did. We had buddy heaters that helped plus campfire worked .I did this twice in my life.But i sold both street papers help me surrive the days.This short version what it ...
To me an unsung hero is someone in your life that personally effects you as a hero, and is not recognized among everyone. My unsung hero would be my Mom. She is a hero to me because she is always there for me, she always does everything she can to make my life better, and she provides for all of my needs. I am very grateful to have the Mom I have. I believe she is unsung because not everyone gets to witness all of the great things she does.I believe that everyone is some kin...
As opposed to who, I reassess notions on the what. In my mind, I am a human. A human girl with all the characters of a feeling and emotion filled female.I am an individual. I stand my own ground in society and I don't hold any nonsensical notions about my purpose. I am an independent being who can support myself if needed and will, on no account, rely on anyone other than myself. I've seen how well that worked out for me!I am weak. I claim to have the strength of a steel w...
“The Dark Ages”, or better known as sophomore year of college, due to the flea infested apartment I moved into, subsequent suing from our landlords, and arrest for underage drinking, all while I was nursing my shattered heart from a failed summer relationship. Despite the misfortunes, it was really my dark, negative energy that infested my outlook on life, jailed my optimism, and kept my heart jagged and jaded. Finally, after wandering lamely in the darkness, desperately ...
I saw an angel inside of the grocery store once. Milk, bread, cottage cheese, cookie dough, juice, cheese, and fruit were all that was on my list, and I was trying to stay within a strict budget. As I approached the checkout station, I rolled my cart into the closest line. When I glanced over at checkout station number 3, I noticed a little old lady who only had a few items in her basket and was proceeding to checkout. After my quick observation, I switched over into the oth...
When I think of random acts of kindness, two scenarios come to mind. Either there is a conscious effort made to do something kind, where one party does something intentionally to help another. Or someone does something which causes a positive outcome without intention. Regardless of intent, the outcome is ultimately all that matters. In this instance, I would like to talk about something that falls into the latter category. Just last week, I traveled up to Clevel...
It was a cold and dark winter eve in december. I was standing at the train station in St. Gallen.When I was younger, I really, really loved chestnuts during Christmas time. Before I went up to the stall and bought myself a package of the said chestnuts, I noticed a man walking around it.He looked hungry and was really skinny. As I was only twelve years old, I was scared of him. He was asking the seller repeatedly "One to try". He had an indian accent, so I knew he was one ...
There are a number of cultural associations that have come to be associated with tattoos. Deservedly or undeservedly, people tend to make certain presumptions about tattoos and people with tattoos. This furthers and cements certain stereotypes that have become associated with body modifications. Interestingly there have also been certain studies that have demonstrated certain links between tattooing and criminality. If you're considering tattoo removal for yourself or som...
I've never seen her so stressed. Mum juggles cardboard boxes at home, frown lines magnified as she attempts to pack while feeding and entertaining three confused boys. Meanwhile, Dad, flown across the planet, sunbathes on the island of Oahu.A few weeks before, on a silent evening nearing the end of June, I find Mum lying face down on our flowery brick patio, soaking up the last few drops of sunlight in the day. Her eyes are closed and she whispers to me that she's going to g...
Giving money to strangers is a rarity for me. I prefer to donate to charities that I’ve screened so I know the money isn’t going for a nefarious purpose. So the night my friends and I decided to go shopping downtown, I never expected to part with a cent that wasn’t for a Christmas gift. I saw him standing on the corner of a busy intersection. With a scraggly beard, dirty green coat, and even dirtier pants, he held up a cardboard sign that read “Homeless vet. God Bless. Merr...
I have been working at a popular restaurant as a server. Oftentimes, I patiently wait on the elderly. I help them with the door, choosing their food choices, and helping them with their trays to the dining tables. It is a very rewarding job with some really good management. Even though I have not worked there long, I feel like part of the family. There are folks in management, cashiers, dishwashers, servers, and cooks. Knowing that I made someone's day by providing them...
It was about, 1:30 PM, and we were on our way to our local Twin Donut to grab some lunch. I was with a couple of close friends. As we were driving there, We figured we could stop at the library park since it was on our way. We pulled into the lot, and sitting on the benches were 3 homeless men.We approached them quickly and started to begin a conversation. One of them, we found out was mute and didn't speak, the other was just a teenager, he did most of the talking and the v...
Random acts of kindness could include telling someone their shoe is untied, complementing someone on their appearance, or ever saying hello to someone. My random act of kindness would probably just be complementing someone on their appearance. I love giving and receiving complements if I tell someone “you look very nice today” I feel like it gives them a confidence boost. Makes them feel good about their selves. I know when I receive one I feel like I can do anything that day...
On October the 31, 1995, I was basically told, trick or treat, you have multiple sclerosis by my neurologist. Obviously brain twisted, my future was flashing before my eyes as I drove home, alone. Immediately, I began building a handicapped ramp and studying the disease. I didn't want to live not knowing when my skin would fall off the frame. I can handle the results if I'm prepared, I thought. I was preparing for the worst case scenario while living just ahead of a part...
“Riiiiing!!!!!” the dismissal bell cries out. I go to the back door of the school to wait for my sister for five minutes. After she got there, we started to walk, but as we walked, people started saying “hi” and “bye” to the teacher. Twenty minutes later, we were more than half way from our house, until suddenly my sister looks at me and said, “Look Oscar, that blind man is trying to cross the street vroom!!!!” Cars were passing us like racing cars, and I looked back to my si...
just because go with it and it will all work outSIKE!...
If resolved to treat your handbag designing hobby as a source of stable financial income, now is the time for you to start running your own company. Of course, starting a business from the rock bottom is difficult. Yet, with the smart approach and the right set of designing skills, your purse designing company will stand a chance for success. As your first step, decide how you want to run a business: is there going to be a website or a catalogue? Do you want to draw bag desig...
I work in fast-food. A large majority of the time, people are rude and angry, for really no reason. This is one of the reasons why I hate my job most of the time. However, since it’s around Christmas time, we’re getting business from different kinds of people. For the past five times that I’ve been at work, people have come through our drive thru, and paid for the person behind them, no matter how large the order is or how expensive. About a week ago, a very nice and very gen...
I have been looking for a job for the past 5 months with no luck. ...
My family and I usually go down to TJ to the orphanages to donate food, clothes or toys to the children in need. We usually take gently worn or new clothes. Other times when we go we take food to feed the children. Finally sometimes we take toys. We usually take toys that my brother and I don't use anymore. We give them like toy cars, bouncy balls, basketballs, and frisbees. This one random act of kindeness that my family does when we go down to TJ....
I have discovered that partners are often frustrated with each other since they have quite different views on the most important things in relationships. Unfortunately, the unhappy years of struggling and attempts to rectify one another bring only bitterness, disappointment, and resentment. So, I had an idea to explore woman’s ideas about men’s needs in relationships. I have conducted a study among men and women in Eastern Europe: first, I asked the women some questions a...
I look at my hands, I watch the fingers move, and I watch the tendons and veins in them dance, as I tense my muscles. I look at my hands, I look at my body, but I can’t really see my face without a mirror. I can’t see my face…These are my eyes looking at the world, seeing what I see, conceiving what I conceive. But I can’t see my face. I can touch it with my hands, I can run a hand over my face, but I cannot see it. How does it look? In the mirror I see it, I can stud...
Kindness can be found all around you, living in every nook and cranny of your community. But what makes a random act of kindness so different from just plain old kindness? Random acts of kindness are a bit more special, because most of the time, you’re doing something kind for someone you don’t know. Most people commit random acts of kindness without expecting any personal gain or reciprocation. This being said, there are two sides to these acts of kindness: the giver and the...
December is a cold month. It's also Christmas time. It was the nicest day that I had ever seen. Snow fell down and made a big white blanket covering the ground. The chimneys from many houses had smoke billowing like someone was smoking. Many people entertained themselves by shopping, decorating, and enjoying the happiest holiday of the year with family and friend. "Ding...dong...ding...dong...", it was the sound of the bell that hung on top of my house's door. I came to...
As I cowered on the pavement tangled up in my bike, covered in blood, sand, and grease, I remembered learning about the “bystander effect” in social psychology courses in college a few years back. I was shaking, still in shock after having hit a patch of sand on the bike trail in Venice Beach and sliding across the sidewalk; my leg was throbbing. It felt like it had been scraped with sandpaper and I could see the underlayers of my beet-red skin exposed and raw. I was crying. ...

Advertiser

Coupons for Life - 5% to 50% Off

As an educational writing initiative, StageofLife.com is fortunate to have the support of hundreds of brands who support this writing community and our literacy mission.  Because of that, you can save 5% to 50% off with Stage of Life's free My Life Rewards® program. 

Get discounts at Applebee's, Papa John's, Lenovo, AAMCO, and many more...

Applebee's gift card discountDiscount on pizza at PapaJohns.com from StageofLife.com Lenovo discount from StageofLife.com AAMCO auto discount from StageofLife.com