Writing Community about Single Living

Singles Blog on StageofLife.com

Share a Story about being "On My Own."  Enter Blogging Contests for Singles...

Stage of Life® is a writing community designed around that unique life stage of living on your own, being single, having roommates, dating and exploring new relationships (even those starting over again after a divorce).  Get involved with our literacy mission to make the world a better place through blogging:  Share a personal essay about a life experience, explore our quotes about being single, save money with our printable in-store coupons and coupon codes, and more.  Whether you're in a serious relationship or living life on your own, we look forward to reading your essays and helping you save money...throughout your single life.  Get started now...

Enter StageofLife.com singles writing contest Twitter Contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for singles on StageofLife.com
Enter the monthly national writing contest for singles: Sept. 2014

"What's Your Identity?"
Don't have time to write today?
Enter our new, "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.
Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com
Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's coupon code from StageofLife.com     Lenovo computer discount for Stage of Life members

Best of our Bloggers

Recent Writing Contest Winners

Winning Essay WritersWinning Writing Contest EssaysBefore you scroll down to read the essays, stories, and blogs being submitted to StageofLife.com, let's celebrate the recent writing contest winners.  We select one essay each month from across all of the non-student life stages to win our monthly blogging contests

Basically...these winning essays are selected from all of you "grown-ups" out there writing on Stage of Life...

Past Writing Contest Winners

On My Own Stories

"Who am I"? I never knew that , neither was I ever interested in knowing so . Unless and until that noon passed by my life . The heat of that scorching noon is still piercing my body . All the memories are flashing across my eyes . I used to sell handicraft works for my family's livelihood . The earning was feeble . As a result we were dwelling in a kind of slum area . The street fights and their terror was a regular routine . We were all so well adjust...
This is a true story of my life and the trials and tribulationsI went through to become the person I am today. The story willalso encompass my diabetes, depression, positive thinking, andthe emotional roller coaster I was on for 27 years. The narrativewill outline the steps I have taken to recreate the new personI am today ...
I posted my story on One Billion Rising’s web page two weeks ago. To summarize what I said, “My name is Sarah. I am a single mom and I am one in three women who has been raped and abused. I got out of a relationship with a man who yelled at our daughter and hit walls. I have to testify against him at his trial because he waved a knife at me. Our daughter is in temporary foster care because I had severe depression and I was suicidal. You know what? He was not the only man I me...
When I was younger, I did not care to be Indian. That’s right – I am Indian American, not to be confused with Native American. I was actually born in India on rainy, monsoon night in November. My parents brought me to America when I was three months old. The story goes that the taxi cab driver almost put my bassinet into the trunk of his car, mistaking me for luggage. I don’t really have much of a connection with India, as we grew up mostly American. I consumed fish sti...
Identity: Solo TravelerThe attendant at the tiny airport called out my name. It’s never a good sign when they know your name. Having watched the only baggage carousel complete several laps with no sign of my suitcase being on it I had a sneaking suspicion that I knew what he was about to say. As suspected, he delivered to me the bad news that my luggage had not made the trip with me into Costa Rica. I was not surprised. The past 13 hours had been a series of mishaps, comp...
I am a fat boy who rules the world with a macho belly.Yes, I am fat! I'm proud of what it has helped me achieve in life.People take notice of me easily because of this cute belly of mine. Unlike others who work so hard to get some attention I was known to be a natural.My belly is my identity. Earlier in my college life, I was defined through the eyes of my so called-friends that I was a person without a life, bored, lazy and uncool.I began being accepted by my friends w...
September 22, 2014 Dear future me, Today you were asked the question, who do you think you are? This question is seemingly not a difficult one. It's only five words long, and does not require math. Yet the reason it's so difficult to answer, is because you never really know who you are. You always have an idea of who you are, or who you will become. Yet the answer always comes back to this, you can't be certain as to who you are, because people change ever...
I never expected to be unmarried, childless and taking care of a man that isn’t my lover, husband or boyfriend, but he is a friend. I stopped whining about my life maybe some time ago believing it is what it is. Accepting the fact that I was probably going to be single and never have a child of my own. There is power once you acknowledge your life for as it is, but I became empowered when I realized I could change it anytime I choose. When I was 26 years old until my late t...
The All of Me Thoughts are constant and sometimes create congruence and other instances ignite conflict. Whether affliction or celebration bears witness, a habitual response commands recollection, free of constraints and supplemented order. Today, you’re every notion in between tomorrow, should this insist the necessary redemption of you, your gusto, the twinkle your eye so misses, time could tell. If it takes a bit of tomfoolery to ignite the fortress that is you, the soul...
I've been concerned about my brother for a long time now. He's been in and out of work, needing money all the time. It has been hard on me sending money and mom is stressed out to say the least. Just received the phone call and my brother is an official truck driver. He lives in AZ, I live in WV. Hopefully I'll see him soon.Becoming a truck driver is a great career choice. You get to see the world, make good money but you spend a lot of time on the road. If your stuck in yo...
Almost an year ago, on my birthday, I wrote a letter to myself, which I was supposed to open on my next birthday. Here it is:"Hey Kiddo,Thank you for writing me and sending me positive thoughts :). I am extremely happy that you were able to change your live for the best. You finally managed to pull yourself together and have not only dreamed of a better future, but actually visualized and planned it. The baby steps you took, paid off. You finally started earning really w...
Next week, I enter into my first year as a teacher. I aim to make a difference, to change the world. When asked, who inspired you to teach? One teacher, my 6th grade teacher, comes to mind.Mrs. Rose was a new teacher in a very tough school in a pretty tough area. She had short hair, a loud, powerful voice and a demeanor of positivity-a belief that we could accomplish anything. She wasn't all rainbows and honeycombs but she truly cared about her students and it showed. ...
This poem is for a peaceful but meaningful protests and movement. To make others notice that our justice system is failing to correctly protect citizens. It's time that we make a change and take a stand for what we believe in. To make sure that our future and future generations will be great and proud to live in a peaceful and righteous nation we call The United States of America....
The blessed (for parents) and doomed (for kids) first day of school is fast approaching. I am not a parent, nor am I still in school but I can’t help but cringe as I think back to my own school days.I did not like school; I tolerated it because I had to. I am a quiet person, I do my best work by myself, and while I socialize regularly I view it more as an obligation than a pleasure. I am not a loner, I have good friends but I am not one of those people who have twelve best ...
As summer is coming to an end, I’m realizing this one didn’t feel all that different to me: I went back to my job I spent my summers and other breaks working at while in college, I read all of the books I wanted to during the past school year that I didn’t have time for and then some, and I hung out with friends until ridiculous hours of the morning, narrowly avoiding my parents leaving for work, sneaking in like I did in high school. The only real difference, this is the ...
The first was tall, with dark hair and hazel eyes. The hazel eyes were made hazel with brown and green, and when first looked upon they seemed to be serious. But if there were love in a person, that person saw an immense sadness in the seriousness, and if the love in that person truly loved those hazel eyes she saw a gentleness in the sadness. He had immensely gentle eyes. The girl with him felt small and delicate beside him, and once in a while they would walk ...
When it comes to fashion, what do you visualize in your head? What is the first thought, first classification that comes in mind? Usually, we think about women. Of course, nearly every women cares what they look like. However, men do not follow with the same confidence. Many men don't care what they look like. Men, your making a mistake. Everyone should care what they look like. Women do, why can't men? Yes, men can be ready in 5 minutes. That is true, so why can't men get dr...
The hallway was covered with large posters. Crude drawings of firemen, chefs, teachers, doctors and movie stars surrounded me as I led my parents to my masterpiece. The assignment was typical for a first grade classroom- draw a picture of you in your future dream job and we’ll show them off to all the parents at the open house. Some students had struggled, heavily debating if a fireman or a policeman was more dangerous, while many of my peers imagined themselves growing into ...
It was normal, right? This silly nervousness that fluttered inside my stomach. My hand swept through my bangs again as they rebelliously tried to flop out of place. The pimple on my forehead, right in the center made me wince at myself in the mirror, but maybe, I thought abnormally optimistic, no one would notice with all the other pimples on my cheeks and nose. It would blend in,right? I would blend in,right? The new shirt my mom had bought me seemed to be too tight as I pu...
I started working with crafts from upcycled materials and now I had my GreenPoint Gallery featured on RecyclArt Newsletter dated 7/20/14 and I also now have been accepted into BOMBAY SAPPHIRE Artisan Series: Artwork AcceptedThank you for submitting your artwork to The BOMBAY SAPPHIRE® Artisan Series.Your artwork has been accepted!Below you will find a link to your entry on Facebook. The voting phase begins September 2, 2014. Until then, share your artwork with friends....
Have you ever had a dream so big? I have. We all have idols, right? My one is Eminem, so from now you can tell that I want to be a rapper. Rapping and music is what I love and Eminem inspires me to do that. Now some people may bring you down or want you to be something you don't want to be, well don't let that get in your way because if you keep following your dreams then you will get to the top. It's great to have a dream and it's great to follow it. If you have a dream, th...
There was time when I thought romance always ended up like something out of a Disney movie... you know, "happily ever after"? When it came to love, I followed everything those titular characters told me as well as the sound advice from sever 90s pop songs. That was until my heart was shattered..... back in 2008, my senior year of high school, I lost what was then the love of my teenaged life... he was everything to me and he suddenly broke my heart in ways I didn't know were ...
Before YouTube, finding music usually included going on MySpace and listening to clips of what was current (or the latest single from the Backstreet Boys) When I first discovered the wonderful site known as YouTube, I'll be honest I wasn't that impressed. Dumb videos of dumb people trying to get a laugh. That was until one boring day sometime in July. I was watching viva la bam and a song came on by a band who has now become one of my favorite bands of all time. Despite the s...
Hi.My name is Gaiyathri.I’m from Malaysia.Actually I like to study in United Kingdom.But I can’t make it now.I think this is a good opportunity for me and this will help me to improve my English.My essay is based on my life story.It is a true story.I give a title for this essay.Will Dreams Come True ?Every human have a dream.It is a common thing in everyone lives.I also got a dream.It’s my ambition too.All the dreams will create by the God.But my dream was created by my Her...
In recent years, technology’s rapid advance has made daily life more functional and time sensitive tasks easier to complete. We are no longer bogged down by clunky apparatuses. Electronic devices have become manageable sizes we can now use within the palm of our hands. Communication has expanded; we can now reach out to anyone from almost anywhere. Our planet is becoming greener and evolving into an eco-friendly society, saving trees one email at a time. The growing ...
This is a work of fiction. Names, Characters, places and incidents are the product of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events, locales, or persons, living or dead, is coincidental.This is a short story of a woman's journey into maturity, she is writing about in her personal diary. She is learning to accept her imperfections and admire her unique qualities during the forty-something season of her life. This is when she finds a ne...
All my life I’ve been a romantic. I was drawing pictures of my wedding dress and writing in my journal about my future husband in second grade, when my friends were throwing snowballs and chasing each other in our various yards. I would look up, look out of the window, and wave happily to my red-cheeked friends. Then my head would bend down again, my small fingers gripping my yellow No. 2 pencil tightly, and I would draw and write about my future love.Then I grew up. Boyfrie...
There’s an odor coming from the refrigerator. As a single mom, this particular crisis didn’t rank high on my, “must be fixed immediately so we can survive” scale. Still, it was a little disgusting and when the search for rotten produce came up empty, “fix fridge” moved a little higher up on the list. Next, we started to suspect the water and ice cubes tasted a little funky. This became repulsive quickly and the refrigerator situation got upgraded to “mild crisis, I ...
I can't believe it was was only a couple of months ago that I moved to a new apartment. It was a little nerve wracking because it was the first move that I had to do on my own without the help of my big strong dad and my mother making sure every little thing was perfectly packed away in boxes. But, to be completely honest, I wasn't completely alone and I had also done some research. I had friends that I had bribed with beer and pizza to help me move to the new place. Luck...
You live like stuck in labirint, thinking that somewhen you'll get out and all will be okay but it doesn't come. You are thinking about future to escape from the present. Go to sleep when you don't want to, get up when you don't want to, go there you don't want to. Something like this, said Alaska in awesome John Green's book "Looking for Alaska". She was sure that everything is about and something that is important for you today, is going to doesn't matter tomorrow. ...

Advertiser

Coupons for Life - 5% to 50% Off

As an educational writing initiative, StageofLife.com is fortunate to have the support of hundreds of brands who support this writing community and our literacy mission.  Because of that, you can save 5% to 50% off with Stage of Life's free My Life Rewards® program. 

Get discounts at Target.com, Papa John's, Lenovo, AAMCO, and many more...
Discount at Target.com on StageofLife.com Discount on pizza at PapaJohns.com from StageofLife.com Lenovo discount from StageofLife.com AAMCO auto discount from StageofLife.com