Writing Community about Single Living

Singles Blog on StageofLife.com

Share a Story about being "On My Own."  Enter Blogging Contests for Singles...

Stage of Life® is a writing community designed around that unique life stage of living on your own, being single, having roommates, dating and exploring new relationships (even those starting over again after a divorce).  Get involved with our literacy mission to make the world a better place through blogging:  Share a personal essay about a life experience, explore our quotes about being single, save money with our printable in-store coupons and coupon codes, and more.  Whether you're in a serious relationship or living life on your own, we look forward to reading your essays and helping you save money...throughout your single life.  Get started now...

Enter StageofLife.com singles writing contest Twitter Contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for singles on StageofLife.com
Enter the monthly national writing contest for singles: Oct. 2014

"Story of a Scar"
Don't have time to write today?
Enter our new, "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.
Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com
Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's coupon code from StageofLife.com     Lenovo computer discount for Stage of Life members

Best of our Bloggers

Recent Writing Contest Winners

Winning Essay WritersWinning Writing Contest EssaysBefore you scroll down to read the essays, stories, and blogs being submitted to StageofLife.com, let's celebrate the recent writing contest winners.  We select one essay each month from across all of the non-student life stages to win our monthly blogging contests

Basically...these winning essays are selected from all of you "grown-ups" out there writing on Stage of Life...

Past Writing Contest Winners

On My Own Stories

“Now I know what it will feel like when I’m terminal,” Mom says.I pretend not to hear her. In our Miami hotel room I’m watching Sue Ellen and J.R. Ewing fight on Dallas.On spring break from college Mom took me on vacation. Without my dad.“Poor Betty Bacall,” my mother continues. “Bogart suffered so much before cancer took his life.”I am sorry I gave her Lauren Bacall’s autobiography to read. At least Lauren was there for Bogey. Mom had ovarian cancer. Three ...
My first scar was a physical scar on my right knee. I was three years old eating icecream in the bath tub in a glass cup. I don't remember how the glass broke but the next thing I knew, my knee was cut open to the bone. As a kid, even now, I've always liked having cuts or scars, physical cuts or scars, but now, I have emotional scars too. Even now I'm still known as the quiet one at school but I've opened up a lot. As a younger kid I was so quiet it was hard to make friends. ...
Whenever you see someone for the first time, you notice their appearance. Whenever you see them often, you notice that they have scars and when you get to know them you feel their scars. Everyone has a story and they have the scars to prove it. Scars are like a book lying on the surface of a human, ready to be summarized and shown off to the world. The scars I have are invisible, They aren't on display, people don't see what my past did to me and this is where my story beg...
"Identity" was a good movie I saw last weekend. I am a very big fan of psychological thrillers and I can say that that movie is a killer one (literally)! I guess it was recommended by a student of mine. I just know that it was my kind of entertainment. The murderer in that film suffers from Dissociative Identity Disorder from where the title was derived.I had never understood well that sort of disorder until I saw "Identity." Even though I am not a psychologist, psychiatris...
English isn't my mother tongue, but that's the language in which I communicate the best. I am a blogger, a teacher, a poet, a translator, an interpreter, a stationery junkie, a married woman, and have four cats. I teach languages, do pilates and therapy, and major in psychology. I speak Portuguese on the daily basis. Brazil is the country where I live and in here people speak this awesome latin language. I also speak German, Spanish, some French, Mandarin, and Japanese. I a...
It’s been nothing else, but fearIs there still some hope?Is there any possibility of changes…My heart, aching and my back, bouncing…Scattered memories hold my fingersA dark cloud with no silver liningPores, scars, dirtWorm, veins, and rotten feelingsI’m a black holeFilled with pusI’m a cancer, a brain tumorNo words to describeWhat and how worse can this get?Focus on dutyLocus is nowhereThat’s a way to get over this.Will I ever be free again?...
“Wake up, your surgery’s over.” Those words seem such a distant memory, but the scar remains. Just an inch strip of puckered, slightly discolored skin near my right elbow. It began with a phone call and a conversation with God.I was packing and preparing to leave for a conference called MegaFest in Atlanta one night. I knew that I would receive a tremendous spiritual word once I got there; it was not my first time to attend. Usually I had to fight through some type...
The scar is small and white and defined, a cursive C at the base of my thumb. The glass had shattered in my hand as I hurriedly washed it. Hurriedly washed, as it was the last chore to complete before catching a ferry home for Christmas. I’m sure the narrow kitchen had an overhead light, but in my memory I’m standing in a murky spotlight over a single sink, the dark faux-wood cabinets and death-yellow counters and appliances refusing to reflect light. Why did 70s décor look l...
My scar is not seen on the outside, my scar lives on the inside of me. I have scars from my brain to my spinal cord as a result of having to battle with Relapsing remitting Multiple Sclerosis for four years. On the outside, I look as normal as a normal person. But on the inside, I look frail, ill, and maybe even old even. But does this disease break my spirits? NO! I am who I am for the scar I hide deep within. I am the one person that you may pass on the street, and think I ...
For many years, I lived a double life… As a psychologist, I worked overtime to become an effective healer of others, yet I never stopped to think about my own healing. I was walking around hurt, bruised, and scared, without the ability to apply salve to my own wounds. Why was I damaged, you may wonder? Well, after facing too many of life’s obstacles, I felt defeated and broken. I faced mounting credit card debt, a divorce, the job of co-parenting a challenging pre-adolescent ...
I was absolutely smitten. The boy I had my eye on for months had finally asked me on a date. He was picturesque - tall, fit, with light dusty hair and golden eyes. Every time he spoke, I became entranced. It wasn’t what he said, he was person of very few words, but it was how he spoke. He spoke out of the side of his mouth; each word was like a wave crashing on shore, rolling into sentences. I was smitten. When the day finally came for our date I was so nervous that I consi...
I'm a very mild mannered kind of girl. I've never pronounced myself as being a thug or anything close to it so when people hear the story behind one of my largest scars they are often taken aback. I still remember the day as if it were yesterday it was a cold December night and the weather forecast had called for snow but as a college students for some reason snow and bad weather prompted my friends and I even more to go hit the road. This particular night our journey led us ...
I have a scar on my knee. Can’t really see it with all my other ones. That scar has a story of its own to tie it away from all the others. This scar was my first one that had to do with stitches. My cousin Steven and I were running around my great grandmothers house and we were going around and around. My great grandmother has a old floor furnish in her house by the living room. As we ran and ran I got the luck of the doubt and tripped and skinned my knee on the metal part of...
Once upon a time, there was a young girl named Bethanny, she was riding her four-wheeler. This young girl did not know how to drive a four-wheeler. Bethanny did not know that she was going to fast, she did not even see a rock on the road, but Bethanny kept on going. Bethanny hit the rock and flew over the handle bars and landed in the gutter with a piece of metal sticking out of her knee, she was unconscious for three hours. She was picked up by a ambulance and life-flighted ...
So ever sense I was little I have always been really big into raccoon hunting. My dad was when he was younger and he just kind of carried it on to us kids. So one night we were hunting with one of dad’s friends Colby and Colby’s son Chance and the dogs had treed so we started walking. We came up on this corn field and it had already been combined and it was just a bunch of little stubs. Well we take off a crossed it. It was no big deal we did it all of the time. Well I fall a...
I was 9 when it first happened, the feeling of emptiness, of being alone when I tell the lies to my mother, she never suspected what was really happening when I put these scars on my arm, my legs, even on my fists. But they were always hidden, I never wanted her to find out, for anyone to find out, it was my cross to carry, she already had to much trouble going on in her life and I was young thinking if I didn't tell her what was happening it would protect her. Because to a y...
She was the brightest moon on display, in the heart, of the body of Christ. In 1995, as a Kindergartner, she was awarded most likely to never need to use a microphone. An award winning story teller and speech speaker since childhood, she was voted 'Most likely to win an Oscar' and most likely the Miss Congeniality of all the jobs that fill her resume. A simple minded woman, with a variety of complex personalities, running on a one track fast paced mind, her flower power, chil...
Who do You Think You Are?Because of a disappointing romantic experience, I decided to try online dating. The first thing you have to do is create a profile.This obviously must include a description of yourself as well as what you are looking for. As far as what I was looking for it was pretty much just the opposite of the last guy. Well, no, that isn't true. Someone exactly like him would be great, just one who wanted to be with me. I have had bad experiences with online...
One Saturday, I celebrated a festival with my best friend. Since we had not seen each other for months, she invited me to spend the night with her. I was so excited! I sent a text message to my Mom to let them know that I was not coming back home that day, that I would sleep over at my best friend’s house. Sadly, it was not okay for my father. He insisted that I spent the night at my brother’s house instead. Of course I disagreed with his idea. But Dad did not consent. He ...
"Who am I"? I never knew that , neither was I ever interested in knowing so . Unless and until that noon passed by my life . The heat of that scorching noon is still piercing my body . All the memories are flashing across my eyes . I used to sell handicraft works for my family's livelihood . The earning was feeble . As a result we were dwelling in a kind of slum area . The street fights and their terror was a regular routine . We were all so well adjust...
This is a true story of my life and the trials and tribulationsI went through to become the person I am today. The story willalso encompass my diabetes, depression, positive thinking, andthe emotional roller coaster I was on for 27 years. The narrativewill outline the steps I have taken to recreate the new personI am today ...
I posted my story on One Billion Rising’s web page two weeks ago. To summarize what I said, “My name is Sarah. I am a single mom and I am one in three women who has been raped and abused. I got out of a relationship with a man who yelled at our daughter and hit walls. I have to testify against him at his trial because he waved a knife at me. Our daughter is in temporary foster care because I had severe depression and I was suicidal. You know what? He was not the only man I me...
When I was younger, I did not care to be Indian. That’s right – I am Indian American, not to be confused with Native American. I was actually born in India on rainy, monsoon night in November. My parents brought me to America when I was three months old. The story goes that the taxi cab driver almost put my bassinet into the trunk of his car, mistaking me for luggage. I don’t really have much of a connection with India, as we grew up mostly American. I consumed fish sti...
Identity: Solo TravelerThe attendant at the tiny airport called out my name. It’s never a good sign when they know your name. Having watched the only baggage carousel complete several laps with no sign of my suitcase being on it I had a sneaking suspicion that I knew what he was about to say. As suspected, he delivered to me the bad news that my luggage had not made the trip with me into Costa Rica. I was not surprised. The past 13 hours had been a series of mishaps, comp...
I am a fat boy who rules the world with a macho belly.Yes, I am fat! I'm proud of what it has helped me achieve in life.People take notice of me easily because of this cute belly of mine. Unlike others who work so hard to get some attention I was known to be a natural.My belly is my identity. Earlier in my college life, I was defined through the eyes of my so called-friends that I was a person without a life, bored, lazy and uncool.I began being accepted by my friends w...
September 22, 2014 Dear future me, Today you were asked the question, who do you think you are? This question is seemingly not a difficult one. It's only five words long, and does not require math. Yet the reason it's so difficult to answer, is because you never really know who you are. You always have an idea of who you are, or who you will become. Yet the answer always comes back to this, you can't be certain as to who you are, because people change ever...
I never expected to be unmarried, childless and taking care of a man that isn’t my lover, husband or boyfriend, but he is a friend. I stopped whining about my life maybe some time ago believing it is what it is. Accepting the fact that I was probably going to be single and never have a child of my own. There is power once you acknowledge your life for as it is, but I became empowered when I realized I could change it anytime I choose. When I was 26 years old until my late t...
The All of Me Thoughts are constant and sometimes create congruence and other instances ignite conflict. Whether affliction or celebration bears witness, a habitual response commands recollection, free of constraints and supplemented order. Today, you’re every notion in between tomorrow, should this insist the necessary redemption of you, your gusto, the twinkle your eye so misses, time could tell. If it takes a bit of tomfoolery to ignite the fortress that is you, the soul...
I've been concerned about my brother for a long time now. He's been in and out of work, needing money all the time. It has been hard on me sending money and mom is stressed out to say the least. Just received the phone call and my brother is an official truck driver. He lives in AZ, I live in WV. Hopefully I'll see him soon.Becoming a truck driver is a great career choice. You get to see the world, make good money but you spend a lot of time on the road. If your stuck in yo...
Almost an year ago, on my birthday, I wrote a letter to myself, which I was supposed to open on my next birthday. Here it is:"Hey Kiddo,Thank you for writing me and sending me positive thoughts :). I am extremely happy that you were able to change your live for the best. You finally managed to pull yourself together and have not only dreamed of a better future, but actually visualized and planned it. The baby steps you took, paid off. You finally started earning really w...

Advertiser

Coupons for Life - 5% to 50% Off

As an educational writing initiative, StageofLife.com is fortunate to have the support of hundreds of brands who support this writing community and our literacy mission.  Because of that, you can save 5% to 50% off with Stage of Life's free My Life Rewards® program. 

Get discounts at Target.com, Papa John's, Lenovo, AAMCO, and many more...
Discount at Target.com on StageofLife.com Discount on pizza at PapaJohns.com from StageofLife.com Lenovo discount from StageofLife.com AAMCO auto discount from StageofLife.com