Writing Community about Single Living

Singles Blog on StageofLife.com

Share a Story about being "On My Own."  Enter Blogging Contests for Singles...

Stage of Life® is a writing community designed around that unique life stage of living on your own, being single, having roommates, dating and exploring new relationships (even those starting over again after a divorce).  Get involved with our literacy mission to make the world a better place through blogging:  Share a personal essay about a life experience, explore our quotes about being single, save money with our printable in-store coupons and coupon codes, and more.  Whether you're in a serious relationship or living life on your own, we look forward to reading your essays and helping you save money...throughout your single life.  Get started now...

Enter StageofLife.com singles writing contest Twitter Contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for singles on StageofLife.com
Enter the monthly national writing contest for singles: March 2015

"What's your weather story?"
Don't have time to write today?
Enter our new, "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.
Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com
Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's coupon code from StageofLife.com     Lenovo computer discount for Stage of Life members

Best of our Bloggers

Recent Writing Contest Winners

Winning Essay WritersWinning Writing Contest EssaysBefore you scroll down to read the essays, stories, and blogs being submitted to StageofLife.com, let's celebrate the recent writing contest winners.  We select one essay each month from across all of the non-student life stages to win our monthly blogging contests

Basically...these winning essays are selected from all of you "grown-ups" out there writing on Stage of Life...

Past Writing Contest Winners

On My Own Stories

Chapter one I grabbed my phone and looked at the time, 6:30!! I was runnning late, the bus was going to be here any minute! I threw on some random clothes that were laying on my dresser. I ran down stairs as fast as i could with my hairbrush in my hand and my phone in the other. I grabbed the key off the door step when i walked out, perfect timing i thoug...
[size=6]omg!!she is so pretty ....!! is a common lie said by every girl.WE are so selfish! aren't we?.we cant hear good about anyone but can speak bad about anyone at our level best.no matter how much we decline this fact but the truth is that we judge people on the basis of their appearance.We hate people with bad looks and make them feel inferior.none of us is bad at looks that's why Elmo is red and cookie monster is blue and still cute.we all are god gifted and special in ...
“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent,” Eleanor Roosevelt. Have you ever thinked about the situations around the world today, the way you act, the way you talk or how you treat someone? How you can really impact people’s life in a positive or negative way. Words have power. There are words that can either bring life, or beat your heart down, making you feel less than human. In this quote, it describes very specifically, that no one can make you feel ...
Eleanor Roosevelt said, “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” In a sense, that is true. But in a truer sense, it’s not nearly that simple. It is not simply giving someone “consent” to have power over how we feel about ourselves. So let’s look a little deeper. Let’s talk about the power of words.Read a good story, even a fictional one, and the simple words on the page can make you laugh, cry, mourn, rejoice, and experience emotions as real as if the sit...
I graduated college with a BA in English at the age of eighteen. As I have transitioned into the workforce, I have faced criticism from well-meaning coworkers who inadvertly put me down. As a teacher at a private tutorial, I work with some amazing people. However, during planning meetings, any input I provide is met with apprehension from my coworkers. Nearly every time I suggest something, somebody comments that since I am so young, I don't have the experience necessary to r...
She was my mathematics teacher. At that time, we were in training course before taking an important exam to take a next step to high schools. In this country, this exam represents a significant landmark in each student’s life. Apparently, everyone in my class was supposed to write down and learn by heart everything from her lessons and they were just basic mathematics that I’d learnt before. So basically, I never paid attention to her, just doing my own practises. That is why...
Author: Lilybeth Maiers2-18-15This was an assignment for school were we write a 7 page short story with three different perspectives. I wanted to write this on 'my wall' here to display my writing skills. This is my first official short story and may need more proof reading, but I plan to improve. Enjoy.KASEYMy thoughts are interrupted by a tap on the shoulder "Oh I'm sorry" I say nonchalantly "Oh you know me always getting distracted. So what were you were saying?" Ja...
In my opinion, I associate power with knowledge and I believe the more you know, the more powerful you are. This can be related to work and having authority over a coworker due to your knowledge in the work field, for example. Inferiority can be felt when a greater power is held over you who holds more knowledge and/ or wisdom in a specific area.Roosevelt is right when she says “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent” because there is always room for change....
There are two ways of your renting apartment experience. It can be very easy, exciting and really pleasant or just a living hell. Both ways depend on your landlord. It is important to find good and honest one. The main problem of rental fails is bad landlords. If You Want to Pay Less, AskThere is no need for negotiable rent, but it is possible for many land lords to compromise on price. Lowering the official rent price is very difficult task. But, it is possible ...
“Could we please have our check?” It’s funny because I have been in some terribly powerless situations, but waiting tables always comes out on top. Both customers and waiters have thousands of horror stories to share, I’m sure. However, when the word powerlessness comes to my mind, this memory always comes up. I worked at a crappy (there is no better adjective) restaurant for several years. I never knew who would show up to work, so I’d often stay...
We only have one earth. There is renewable resources that we can use to replace fossil fuels that harm our ozone. For example the plant named hemp. It has a long history of being used in clothing and textile industry, and has been a reliable replacement/substitute for wood. By using hemp in place of chopping trees down, we can save billions of trees and millions of acres of trees for the faction of the cost and four times the harvest amount. Hemp unfortunately is illegal in m...
Are you a huge traveling aficionado with the guts to see the most unusual world’s sights? SouchSurfing suits those who wish to host travelers and teach them about their place, as well as those who want to travel around the world. Lots of tourists choose big comfortable hotels. Some stay tiny inns and hostels. But the heart of a true wonderer belongs to the beauty of the local home stay. Overall, the ball park number of those who have used the CouchSuring (or CS) service at ...
Just over a year ago, I was sitting inside a cramped room in a foreign place.Alone.Literally, alone. It wasn't the usual my-parents-aren't-home-so-I-can-do-whatever-I-want alone. This time I really COULD do whatever I wanted, and that was what scared me the most.I bet most of you can relate to the joy and excitement as well as the fears associated with living on your own for the first time. It meant independence. It meant freedom from curfews, and all those other things ...
Unsung Hero: My Heroes. I have so many heroes. I don’t think I could just give it to one person. I have so many that have done so much for me. Like my parents they have raised me to the young lady I am today. I have learned so much from them. How to be the young lady I am today. They have been a shoulder for me to lean on. They have supported me through the decisions that I have made in my life. Maybe some of them haven’t been the greatest. But I have to learn some way or an...
My unsung hero is probably my mom. She has always been there for me no matter what. We have not always got along but we have started getting along. She has struggled in her life time she was addicted to drugs for a long eight years. I had to stay with my grandparents while she figured out what to do. She finally got clean. She got baptized here recently and it was like a weight has been lifted off her shoulder and you could see it in her face. She is super supportive she ha...
When i was homeless on the streets it very hard .But made through it in many ways.Such as there were churches and so where get clothes and food.We had choice be in shelter or not but i chose the camping in tent wanted my own freedom until could find housing.I prey everyday that made through cold nights and i did. We had buddy heaters that helped plus campfire worked .I did this twice in my life.But i sold both street papers help me surrive the days.This short version what it ...
To me an unsung hero is someone in your life that personally effects you as a hero, and is not recognized among everyone. My unsung hero would be my Mom. She is a hero to me because she is always there for me, she always does everything she can to make my life better, and she provides for all of my needs. I am very grateful to have the Mom I have. I believe she is unsung because not everyone gets to witness all of the great things she does.I believe that everyone is some kin...
As opposed to who, I reassess notions on the what. In my mind, I am a human. A human girl with all the characters of a feeling and emotion filled female.I am an individual. I stand my own ground in society and I don't hold any nonsensical notions about my purpose. I am an independent being who can support myself if needed and will, on no account, rely on anyone other than myself. I've seen how well that worked out for me!I am weak. I claim to have the strength of a steel w...
“The Dark Ages”, or better known as sophomore year of college, due to the flea infested apartment I moved into, subsequent suing from our landlords, and arrest for underage drinking, all while I was nursing my shattered heart from a failed summer relationship. Despite the misfortunes, it was really my dark, negative energy that infested my outlook on life, jailed my optimism, and kept my heart jagged and jaded. Finally, after wandering lamely in the darkness, desperately ...
I saw an angel inside of the grocery store once. Milk, bread, cottage cheese, cookie dough, juice, cheese, and fruit were all that was on my list, and I was trying to stay within a strict budget. As I approached the checkout station, I rolled my cart into the closest line. When I glanced over at checkout station number 3, I noticed a little old lady who only had a few items in her basket and was proceeding to checkout. After my quick observation, I switched over into the oth...
When I think of random acts of kindness, two scenarios come to mind. Either there is a conscious effort made to do something kind, where one party does something intentionally to help another. Or someone does something which causes a positive outcome without intention. Regardless of intent, the outcome is ultimately all that matters. In this instance, I would like to talk about something that falls into the latter category. Just last week, I traveled up to Clevel...
It was a cold and dark winter eve in december. I was standing at the train station in St. Gallen.When I was younger, I really, really loved chestnuts during Christmas time. Before I went up to the stall and bought myself a package of the said chestnuts, I noticed a man walking around it.He looked hungry and was really skinny. As I was only twelve years old, I was scared of him. He was asking the seller repeatedly "One to try". He had an indian accent, so I knew he was one ...
There are a number of cultural associations that have come to be associated with tattoos. Deservedly or undeservedly, people tend to make certain presumptions about tattoos and people with tattoos. This furthers and cements certain stereotypes that have become associated with body modifications. Interestingly there have also been certain studies that have demonstrated certain links between tattooing and criminality. If you're considering tattoo removal for yourself or som...
I've never seen her so stressed. Mum juggles cardboard boxes at home, frown lines magnified as she attempts to pack while feeding and entertaining three confused boys. Meanwhile, Dad, flown across the planet, sunbathes on the island of Oahu.A few weeks before, on a silent evening nearing the end of June, I find Mum lying face down on our flowery brick patio, soaking up the last few drops of sunlight in the day. Her eyes are closed and she whispers to me that she's going to g...
Giving money to strangers is a rarity for me. I prefer to donate to charities that I’ve screened so I know the money isn’t going for a nefarious purpose. So the night my friends and I decided to go shopping downtown, I never expected to part with a cent that wasn’t for a Christmas gift. I saw him standing on the corner of a busy intersection. With a scraggly beard, dirty green coat, and even dirtier pants, he held up a cardboard sign that read “Homeless vet. God Bless. Merr...
I have been working at a popular restaurant as a server. Oftentimes, I patiently wait on the elderly. I help them with the door, choosing their food choices, and helping them with their trays to the dining tables. It is a very rewarding job with some really good management. Even though I have not worked there long, I feel like part of the family. There are folks in management, cashiers, dishwashers, servers, and cooks. Knowing that I made someone's day by providing them...
It was about, 1:30 PM, and we were on our way to our local Twin Donut to grab some lunch. I was with a couple of close friends. As we were driving there, We figured we could stop at the library park since it was on our way. We pulled into the lot, and sitting on the benches were 3 homeless men.We approached them quickly and started to begin a conversation. One of them, we found out was mute and didn't speak, the other was just a teenager, he did most of the talking and the v...
Random acts of kindness could include telling someone their shoe is untied, complementing someone on their appearance, or ever saying hello to someone. My random act of kindness would probably just be complementing someone on their appearance. I love giving and receiving complements if I tell someone “you look very nice today” I feel like it gives them a confidence boost. Makes them feel good about their selves. I know when I receive one I feel like I can do anything that day...
On October the 31, 1995, I was basically told, trick or treat, you have multiple sclerosis by my neurologist. Obviously brain twisted, my future was flashing before my eyes as I drove home, alone. Immediately, I began building a handicapped ramp and studying the disease. I didn't want to live not knowing when my skin would fall off the frame. I can handle the results if I'm prepared, I thought. I was preparing for the worst case scenario while living just ahead of a part...
“Riiiiing!!!!!” the dismissal bell cries out. I go to the back door of the school to wait for my sister for five minutes. After she got there, we started to walk, but as we walked, people started saying “hi” and “bye” to the teacher. Twenty minutes later, we were more than half way from our house, until suddenly my sister looks at me and said, “Look Oscar, that blind man is trying to cross the street vroom!!!!” Cars were passing us like racing cars, and I looked back to my si...

Advertiser

Coupons for Life - 5% to 50% Off

As an educational writing initiative, StageofLife.com is fortunate to have the support of hundreds of brands who support this writing community and our literacy mission.  Because of that, you can save 5% to 50% off with Stage of Life's free My Life Rewards® program. 

Get discounts at Applebee's, Papa John's, Lenovo, AAMCO, and many more...

Applebee's gift card discountDiscount on pizza at PapaJohns.com from StageofLife.com Lenovo discount from StageofLife.com AAMCO auto discount from StageofLife.com