Writing Community about Single Living

Singles Blog on StageofLife.com

Share a Story about being "On My Own."  Enter Blogging Contests for Singles...

Stage of Life® is a writing community designed around that unique life stage of living on your own, being single, having roommates, dating and exploring new relationships (even those starting over again after a divorce).  Get involved with our literacy mission to make the world a better place through blogging:  Share a personal essay about a life experience, explore our quotes about being single, save money with our printable in-store coupons and coupon codes, and more.  Whether you're in a serious relationship or living life on your own, we look forward to reading your essays and helping you save money...throughout your single life.  Get started now...

Enter StageofLife.com singles writing contest Twitter Contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for singles on StageofLife.com
Enter the monthly national writing contest for singles: Dec. 2014

"Random Acts of Kindness"
Don't have time to write today?
Enter our new, "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.
Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com
Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's coupon code from StageofLife.com     Lenovo computer discount for Stage of Life members

Best of our Bloggers

Recent Writing Contest Winners

Winning Essay WritersWinning Writing Contest EssaysBefore you scroll down to read the essays, stories, and blogs being submitted to StageofLife.com, let's celebrate the recent writing contest winners.  We select one essay each month from across all of the non-student life stages to win our monthly blogging contests

Basically...these winning essays are selected from all of you "grown-ups" out there writing on Stage of Life...

Past Writing Contest Winners

On My Own Stories

Random acts of kindness could include telling someone their shoe is untied, complementing someone on their appearance, or ever saying hello to someone. My random act of kindness would probably just be complementing someone on their appearance. I love giving and receiving complements if I tell someone “you look very nice today” I feel like it gives them a confidence boost. Makes them feel good about their selves. I know when I receive one I feel like I can do anything that day...
On October the 31, 1995, I was basically told, trick or treat, you have multiple sclerosis by my neurologist. Obviously brain twisted, my future was flashing before my eyes as I drove home, alone. Immediately, I began building a handicapped ramp and studying the disease. I didn't want to live not knowing when my skin would fall off the frame. I can handle the results if I'm prepared, I thought. I was preparing for the worst case scenario while living just ahead of a part...
“Riiiiing!!!!!” the dismissal bell cries out. I go to the back door of the school to wait for my sister for five minutes. After she got there, we started to walk, but as we walked, people started saying “hi” and “bye” to the teacher. Twenty minutes later, we were more than half way from our house, until suddenly my sister looks at me and said, “Look Oscar, that blind man is trying to cross the street vroom!!!!” Cars were passing us like racing cars, and I looked back to my si...
just because go with it and it will all work outSIKE!...
If resolved to treat your handbag designing hobby as a source of stable financial income, now is the time for you to start running your own company. Of course, starting a business from the rock bottom is difficult. Yet, with the smart approach and the right set of designing skills, your purse designing company will stand a chance for success. As your first step, decide how you want to run a bus...
I work in fast-food. A large majority of the time, people are rude and angry, for really no reason. This is one of the reasons why I hate my job most of the time. However, since it’s around Christmas time, we’re getting business from different kinds of people. For the past five times that I’ve been at work, people have come through our drive thru, and paid for the person behind them, no matter how large the order is or how expensive. About a week ago, a very nice and very gen...
I have been looking for a job for the past 5 months with no luck. ...
My family and I usually go down to TJ to the orphanages to donate food, clothes or toys to the children in need. We usually take gently worn or new clothes. Other times when we go we take food to feed the children. Finally sometimes we take toys. We usually take toys that my brother and I don't use anymore. We give them like toy cars, bouncy balls, basketballs, and frisbees. This one random act of kindeness that my family does when we go down to TJ....
I have discovered that partners are often frustrated with each other since they have quite different views on the most important things in relationships. Unfortunately, the unhappy years of struggling and attempts to rectify one another bring only bitterness, disappointment, and resentment. So, I had an idea to explore woman’s ideas about men’s needs in relationships. I have conducted a study among men and women in Eastern Europe: first, I asked the women some questions abo...
I look at my hands, I watch the fingers move, and I watch the tendons and veins in them dance, as I tense my muscles. I look at my hands, I look at my body, but I can’t really see my face without a mirror. I can’t see my face…These are my eyes looking at the world, seeing what I see, conceiving what I conceive. But I can’t see my face. I can touch it with my hands, I can run a hand over my face, but I cannot see it. How does it look? In the mirror I see it, I can stud...
Kindness can be found all around you, living in every nook and cranny of your community. But what makes a random act of kindness so different from just plain old kindness? Random acts of kindness are a bit more special, because most of the time, you’re doing something kind for someone you don’t know. Most people commit random acts of kindness without expecting any personal gain or reciprocation. This being said, there are two sides to these acts of kindness: the giver and the...
December is a cold month. It's also Christmas time. It was the nicest day that I had ever seen. Snow fell down and made a big white blanket covering the ground. The chimneys from many houses had smoke billowing like someone was smoking. Many people entertained themselves by shopping, decorating, and enjoying the happiest holiday of the year with family and friend. "Ding...dong...ding...dong...", it was the sound of the bell that hung on top of my house's door. I came to...
As I cowered on the pavement tangled up in my bike, covered in blood, sand, and grease, I remembered learning about the “bystander effect” in social psychology courses in college a few years back. I was shaking, still in shock after having hit a patch of sand on the bike trail in Venice Beach and sliding across the sidewalk; my leg was throbbing. It felt like it had been scraped with sandpaper and I could see the underlayers of my beet-red skin exposed and raw. I was crying. ...
Remember the time when we were kids? We had some weird ideas of what we wanted to do with our lives, didn’t we? Grownups seem to always ask you ‘what will you be when you grow up?’ and I always answered with ‘a cab driver!’ much to the amusement of my parents and the grownups who posed the question to begin with. It always seemed like a cool job to have, but then I grew up a little, and realized driving around the city all day everyday night might not be as fun as I thought i...
It seemed like life had fallen into pieces perfectly.I loved him, he loved me. Or so I thought. I shifted to an entirely different country for him. I lived with his family, negating all personal conflicting thoughts on how I wanted otherwise. That had been the biggest sacrifice for me. I reckon they all expected more.Like any medieval family from my society, the mother kept a vigilant glance on every move I made, every smile I smiled, and she hung on every word I spoke. I ...
Delicious Noodles! I remember them so well. Back in November of 2011, my sister and I went with a friend to Singapore for a friend's wedding. Of course, the wedding was gorgeous, the couple looked so happy, and the food was delicious, but those aren’t the delicious noodles I was talking about. We stayed at a hotel which is right off the train line. The hotel itself was about 14 stories high and the train station was pretty much right under the hotel. You take the escalator ...
As I begin my holiday celebrations, I am brought back to my past and the wonderful moments of my grandmother’s kitchen. Granny has been gone for about six years now and I miss having dinner with her for the holidays and her homemade macaroni and cheese. Pasta mixed with milk and cheese help to create a very delectable dish. The mixture helps to enhance my need for cheese, while calming my hunger. Over the years, I have adjusted my recipe many times while stealing various ...
“Food tastes better when you eat it with family”-Anonymous. Food has the great power of bringing people together. Many people enjoy sitting around the table talking with their family. Food has often played an important role in my family with many immense chefs. Everyday of the week except for Fridays my parents cook a meal that we all sit down together to eat. However when the thoughts of food occur I often think about my grandparents during breakfast time at their hou...
I just wrote a book 3AM Conversations with God centering on prayer and how and where I learned to pray. I learned to pray at the dinner table. I learned to say grace before every meal and I still do this today. Prayer and food go hand in hand. I am always thankful for the food that is put before me, whether in a fast food restaurant or a meal that is prepared in a restaurant or at home. Sometimes it’s by rote that I say grace, and then there are those times when I am co...
My hero is my sister, laurel, because she loves me and she bees nice to me she is a wonder sister my other hero is my mom because she feeds me and she is a wonderful women she takes care of me and puts a roof over my head. My other hero is my dad because he takes care of me also and just because he is a great guy. my other hero is my brother Dillon because because he loves me but sometimes hes mean. my other hero is my sister Kristen because she nice and some times she can b...
When I think of today's Thanksgiving day, I think I have had the best Thanksgiving I have had in a really long time. Most of my Thanksgiving dinners of times past I have spent alone or with one other person. When I think of the idea of Thanksgiving, I think of family and friends getting together with a feast celebration. Not just one or two people getting together, but a group surrounding the Thanksgiving Day feast table. That has not been the case for me until today...
We hadn't yet played our competitive match in football as I sat on the branch made floor, awaiting lunch. After hacking through the jungle, wading across a sizeable river, and climbing up a steep embankment, I found myself among the Bribri, an indigenous tribal people living in modern day Costa Rica. Our group of outsiders, consisting primarily of sixteen and seventeen year old high school students, had unexpectedly, in our naive eyes at least, been heightened to a po...
As I review my day of Halloween, I see how irritable I was. I was full of self-pity. I had moved to a different town in a different state. I am single and living in an apartment by myself thinking about how I need to get a new job. While in my apartment alone for only a few minutes, I allowed myself to drift into morbid reflection. Seems ludicrous considering the fact that I was always wishing for alone time. I allowed myself to get sad. I thought of the seemingly trit...
In an italian household, sundays are the most important night of the week. This is when mass amounts of food is made and family spends a whole day together eating and enjoying eachothers company. In my house, spending time with my parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins & grandparents (yes, i have a large family if you couldnt tell) is a tradition to do almost every sunday night. The men are cuddled on the couch watching football while the women are in the kitchen gossipi...
It was always parked in between the Komodo dragons and the sea lions—the old-fashioned white buggy with giant spoked wheels and red chipped lettering. The ornately adorned horse would stomp and kick at the asphalt and buck up his giant head in the speckled sunlight beneath the Spanish moss and Oak tree canopy.My mom would hand me a quarter, and I would run up to the buggy which towered so far above me that the candy man inside would have to stick his head out of the windo...
The cooking competition in my family all started when my mom found out I loved my grandma’s pancakes. Every time she made pancakes, she would ask me, “Do these taste like Grandma’s pancakes?” But my mom’s pancakes just weren’t the same as Grandma’s for some reason. They weren’t bad, I just loved the way Grandma made them. Throughout the years since the pancake competition began, my brother and I have developed different names that label foods as to who made them the best – Gr...
I was young. Innocent. Unknowing. Small. And Weak. And most of all emotionally and sexually abused. I didn't know what sexual abuse was until I was 11 years old. It all happened when I was 4 years old, and I was sitting on my great uncle's lap, not knowing that he was getting ready to abuse me. When it all happened, I was confused. I'm 16 years old now, and I am helping kids and children who've faced sexual abuse. My great uncle never was put in jail, and when he passed away,...
I have been living on my own since I was about 24. Living on my own has dramatically added a lot of stress that I normally cannot handle. I have three sons who needs some if not all of my attention. There is no father in the home, and I find myself playing the roles of both the mother and the father on a daily basis. It is very hard living on your own especially if children are involved. I rely on God, and the help from my mother and my sister to get me through the most diffi...
A small travel story about My Trip to Nohkalikai Falls.Nohkalikai Falls is the tallest waterfall in India and is at a height of around 1100 feet. This is a fall that is located near the wettest place in the planet, Cherrapunji. This is also the fourth largest waterfall in the entire world and has the rainwater feeding it. In the months of December and Februray it decreases in the...
Sparky was my closest friend; a curious companion who thought the world was meant for sniffing and hygienically questionable bathroom sites. For five years, we grew up together and nuzzled into each other’s hearts, a warm blanket of love and fur. But, like so many good things, it could not last forever. That’s why it was so hard for me to let him go. Sparky was dragged down to a place I could not physically follow - yet as he fell, I fell with him. So strong was our bond th...

Advertiser

Coupons for Life - 5% to 50% Off

As an educational writing initiative, StageofLife.com is fortunate to have the support of hundreds of brands who support this writing community and our literacy mission.  Because of that, you can save 5% to 50% off with Stage of Life's free My Life Rewards® program. 

Get discounts at Target.com, Papa John's, Lenovo, AAMCO, and many more...
Discount at Target.com on StageofLife.com Discount on pizza at PapaJohns.com from StageofLife.com Lenovo discount from StageofLife.com AAMCO auto discount from StageofLife.com