Writing Community about Single Living

Singles Blog on StageofLife.com

Share a Story about being "On My Own."  Enter Blogging Contests for Singles...

Stage of Life® is a writing community designed around that unique life stage of living on your own, being single, having roommates, dating and exploring new relationships (even those starting over again after a divorce).  Get involved with our literacy mission to make the world a better place through blogging:  Share a personal essay about a life experience, explore our quotes about being single, save money with our printable in-store coupons and coupon codes, and more.  Whether you're in a serious relationship or living life on your own, we look forward to reading your essays and helping you save money...throughout your single life.  Get started now...

Enter StageofLife.com singles writing contest Twitter Contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for singles on StageofLife.com
Enter the monthly national writing contest for singles: May 2015

"Teacher Appreciation"
Don't have time to write today?
Enter our new, "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.
Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com
Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's coupon code from StageofLife.com     Lenovo computer discount for Stage of Life members

Recent Writing Contest Winners

Winning Essay WritersWinning Writing Contest EssaysBefore you scroll down to read the essays, stories, and blogs being submitted to StageofLife.com, let's celebrate the recent writing contest winners.  We select one essay each month from across all of the non-student life stages to win our monthly blogging contests

Basically...these winning essays are selected from all of you "grown-ups" out there writing on Stage of Life...

Past Writing Contest Winners

On My Own Stories

My third grade teacher was a very attractive young blonde. As an eight year-old boy, I was thrilled to have her, and it wasn't long before I had a crush on her. Every Friday afternoon when our regular classes were over, she would let us have a game hour. We broke up into small groups to play board games like Monopoly. One afternoon when my group finished our game early, I got up and walked around the room to see if I could get into another game. Over in one corner ...
In the first grade, I had a teacher who helped me meet my best friend in the whole world. She made an impact on my life by making me partners with my friend who changed my life for the better. ...
[size=7]A hero is someone that could be a family member, your friend or even a stranger, that will do something for you no matter what, without thinking twice before doing it. Heros are not always what we expect them to be. They are not the way cartoons tend to describe them. We sometimes think and refer to a hero as someone that will come and save us by flying through the air like Superman, or who can do magic like Zatara, but that is not what a hero is. A hero doesn't have ...
Do you ever get that feeling where you feel obligated to do something for someone else? It's almost like you don't want to disappoint anyone so you never say no to them (the one exception being your family or friends on unimportant matters). And do you ever feel like you are being watched? Because of social media, people can see what you are doing at all times, and it is a problem. I have this problem. I really don't like saying no to anyone, because I don't want people to fe...
About a girl who was told to describe herself and chose to write about it instead.Disclaimer: This story is not based on me, and could be triggering. Also this story is not finished and is a start to a short story. I am only sharing this story to get feedback on if I should continue it or not.Start story below:-Me-Sometimes I wonder what no, correction, I always wonder what my future will come to be. Will I marry someone from my hometown? How many children...
Everyone is an actor. We may not realize it, but we do our fair share of acting on a daily basis. The person taking your coffee order asks you how you are today. You answer "fine" even though you're dying inside. Your parent or significant other ask you how your day was. You say "good" or "okay" without really stopping to think. Sure, some parts of it may have been "good" or "okay" but surely not all of it. Or was it?Everything happens for a reason. There is not a single le...
“Teacher Appreciation”One teacher who has made an impact on my life, was my 2nd-4th grade Gifted and Talented teacher. She pushed my friends and me into doing things that we thought were not capable of at such a young age. This teacher pushed my friend and I into developing a plan to prevent geese from flying into airplane engines and destroying them. This teacher stayed after school with my friend and me every Tuesday, we worked with a teacher at our middle school, who he...
I had a good grandmother. She really liked me, and I loved her as well. When I was in kindergarten, she always took care of me. Though I liked a boy when I was young, my grandmother still liked me. I was living with her and my grandfather during that time because my parents were very busy. My grandmother was a teacher, I could see many students which were taught by my grandmother in every spring festival. They would visit my grandmother. Those students always told me that my ...
I was living in a funny house with my family before I was in grade 3. That house gave me many memories, and it always left many colorful stories in my life. That house left many impressive things to me. Maybe my house was not bigger than other people’s house but I promised that house must warm than other house for me. There were three people in my house, my mother, my father and I. My grandparents sometimes liked coming to my house, and I would happy about others coming to ...
I have been lived in Canada for almost eight months. During those eight months, I spent most time with my host family. I played with them when snowstorms came; I hung out with their kids; I enjoyed the life in farm. I really want to share something that really changes my thoughts of marriage and brings me my dreaming life style. My host family is made up of six people, which including two parents, one son and three daughters. Their son is the oldest one, his name is Daniel. ...
I once heard an actor encourage people to take an acting class once in their life because it was a useful class for life. I followed this and I could not agree more with him, even with all my major psychology courses. I initially took the class to further overcome my anxiety of speaking in front of people, but in the end I gained so much more, much thanks to my Beginning Acting professor who was one of the toughest professors in the department.My professor did warm-up exerci...
My parents and I moved a lot. We moved from our old apartment to a new one three times, from my hometown to Shanghai and from Shanghai to PEI. But the house with my most memories is the house we lived from 2000 to 2008. I spent eight years in that house. Although that apartment is not as big as our new one, that old one is full of sweet moments in my childhood. My mom is a person who loves sleeping. She can sleep for the whole day without eating or drinking. Once sh...
She is 23 and finishing her masters. She tells us that we can do anything we want to the her room. However, she was upset when we remodeled the kitchen saying that the house no longer looked like her home.I would like to get a step machine and a power plate. The power plate improves bone density. The space station has one. You stand on the plate and do your exercise. The plate moves and increases the gravity. Thus, your workout is more podent. ...
Do you want to know my greatest fear in life?? Dying alone... But I've been in love once before and now I'm seeing those same lights... But I still live in fear...Fear of what you ask??Fear of falling so incredibly in love with a man that doesn't foresee the same things I do again... Fear of having to watch that same man walk away again... Fear of having my heart ripped out of my chest again... Fear that I will be stuck in this same cycle day after day year after year hear...
Actually, it is really dangerous to travel alone for a woman. There are lots of messages about troubles for women on vacations. There are lots of physical assaults, actually. And that is what makes traveling alone both for women and men dangerous. Thieves also easier like single travelers. They can rob you on the street or even in the hotel room. But there are more unsafe places for women than for men, actually. These places are just unsafe. You should consider all the po...
To say that I was devastated is an understatement. To say that I was lonely does not even begin to describe what I went through during my divorce after a 7-year marriage to the man I thought was my soulmate. I was dejected, despondent, depressed, and deflated…and my dog got me through it all. Toby was the runt of his litter. His mom was a massive Labrador Retriever with a shiny black coat and outgoing temperament. His dad was a stocky chocolate lab with a swagger. I will nev...
I had a dream, and the dream was about that I could live with animals. So I always asked my mom that I wanted to have a pet but she refused me. It made me feel so sad. Since last day, I thought my dream would come true. It was a peaceful night, everyone was asleep. I flipped on the bed. Suddenly, I found a shine light outside. The light made me feel improbability. Then, I walked close to the window because I wanted to figure out what happened outside. But I found a cat, it w...
I've always tried to be the best person that i could be. I have always tried to be better then the person i was yesterday and yes we can say we tried, or that we want to, but is it really true? Is it happening? Recently I have been told that I am just being a bitch and this and that and every name in the book you can think of. In reality it's pretty sad because i actually would never intentionally hurt anyone. Being told especially by your family that you are a bitch and alwa...
These days, the snow starts melting, and finally, the spring is coming. Different season has different smells. In spring, there are the fragrance of the grass after raining, the smell of wet dirt, and the aroma of sunshine. However, my favorite smell is the scent of the green tea from my grandpa. My grandpa is a big fan of all kinds of Chinese tea. Especially when the spring comes, he always sits in the park of our community with a full cup of hot green tea. In summer, he dr...
Today, policemen received a phone call which claimed that there would be an explosion in the subway station in today's afternoon from a child. People who worked in police station did note pay attention to this warning. They thought it was just a joke. They had received hundreds of this kind of phone calls before. However, it was not a joke.The subway station was exposed. When those policemen arrived at the subway station, there was nothing but a little boy stood there. In f...
I've played with the idea of entering one of these writing contest before, but I don't have too many interesting personal experiences to share. However, if anything in my life is interesting, it's my dog Max and so I decided to tell you a little bit about him and one of his many talents.Max is an eleven year old, twenty-five pound, Cocker Spaniel. He has big, brown eyes, and a thick, shiny, black coat. He's an extraordinarily beautiful dog, and I'm not just saying that beca...
Loneliness is a word with a deep meaning where there is no going back once you understand it, life is so short in a blink of an eye it’s all gone, treasure it and treat every day as if it was your last.About two years ago Marry Jane was a normal girl with a normal life living happy with her family and friends but you never know whqts gonnq happen perhaps a perfect life could turn into a nightmare, one day Marry Jane disobeyed her parents and went into a party with her fri...
Everyone likes travelling; because during the travel you can combine the pleasant with the useful, learn something new about countries, their cultures and people, and get a wonderful rest. This is all true. However, what do famous people think about travels, how do they plan them? Here we have a few tips for travelers who really want to enjoy their journey. They are from the famous Br...
This is a story about my dog; he was really cute and small. His name was bear and he was 2 years old. He loves to play with balls, he would catch the ball if you throw it too him, he likes to wrestle, and he has sharp nails. He is a tannish color he has brown eyes. He has a nose like a pug and I he is really sweet. He doesn’t to take baths; he loves to roll in mud. He likes to chase his tail and he loves to bite a lot of stuff. ...
A time I felt stressed was when I once to went Canadian Tire, I was with my Dad and my sister, we had went in for a hockey stick, and when we were there a couple with their parents because they were having car troubles, and when we were in line to pay for our item we heard a big bang, and next thing we know is that there was a young man on the ground and his wife was on the ground with him. All you could hear was call 911!!!! She kept repeating, she was definitely nervous for...
Sometimes roommates may become a real nightmare. Both of you need your personal space. That is why, conflicts, controversies and fights make a routine practice of students sharing a room. However, there are some effective methods of how to set a balance with them instead of having conflicts. Let’s find out how to be a good roommate and enjoy your co-residence. It is true that anyone c...
The blazing hot side of the highway was not what Joanna had pictured when she decided to leave the dull sameness of her small home town known as Serenity in the mountains of West Virginia. She had left in the hopes of finding excitement beyond someone catching a fish as big as their arm in the small stream that the people of Serenity referred to as a river. Of course she hadn’t been entirely sure what she should picture because she had only graduated high school a week ago wi...
The gently creeping autumn wind seemed to whisper eerie secrets as it drifted in through the open window. Emma wondered what stories the wind had to tell. She sat up, brushing her long, tangled, black hair out of her eyes. She wrapped her arms around herself, as if her fragile limbs could ward off the cold. She peered out of the window, down at the trash-strewn street, which was vacant save the homeless men wrapped in ragged blankets sleeping on the side of the road. Homeless...
Janet sighed loudly, glaring at her six foot three fiancé who was standing on the kitchen table in his socks and a pair of boxers. The only good thing about it being one AM was that the neighbors wouldn’t be likely to be awake and therefore couldn’t look through their windows to see the man who often did yard work for them and fixed their cars crying like a five year old girl. Janet pulled her tangled mess of dark hair up into a messy bun as she let her eyes wonder across ...
Goal Setting in SchoolMy name is Tom Denning and I have 22 years experience as an educator, as both a teacher and administrator. I taught at the Elementary level for 5 years and 4 years at the middle school level. I graduated from Jersey City State College with a BA Degree in Education in 1973 and received my Masters Degree in Administration and Supervision from New Jersey City University, formerly known as Jersey City State College in 2001 . I earned my Doctoral Degree ...

Advertiser

Coupons for Life - 5% to 50% Off

As an educational writing initiative, StageofLife.com is fortunate to have the support of hundreds of brands who support this writing community and our literacy mission.  Because of that, you can save 5% to 50% off with Stage of Life's free My Life Rewards® program. 

Get discounts at Applebee's, Papa John's, Lenovo, AAMCO, and many more...

Applebee's gift card discountDiscount on pizza at PapaJohns.com from StageofLife.com Lenovo discount from StageofLife.com AAMCO auto discount from StageofLife.com