Writing Community about Single Living

Singles Blog on StageofLife.com

Share a Story about being "On My Own."  Enter Blogging Contests for Singles...

Stage of Life® is a writing community designed around that unique life stage of living on your own, being single, having roommates, dating and exploring new relationships (even those starting over again after a divorce).  Get involved with our literacy mission to make the world a better place through blogging:  Share a personal essay about a life experience, explore our quotes about being single, save money with our printable in-store coupons and coupon codes, and more.  Whether you're in a serious relationship or living life on your own, we look forward to reading your essays and helping you save money...throughout your single life.  Get started now...

Enter StageofLife.com singles writing contest Twitter Contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for singles on StageofLife.com
Enter the monthly national writing contest for singles:
  Feb. and March 2016
"Second Chances"
Don't have time to write today?
Enter our new, "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.
Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com
Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's coupon code from StageofLife.com     Lenovo computer discount for Stage of Life members

Recent Writing Contest Winners

Winning Essay WritersWinning Writing Contest EssaysBefore you scroll down to read the essays, stories, and blogs being submitted to StageofLife.com, let's celebrate the recent writing contest winners.  We select one essay each month from across all of the non-student life stages to win our monthly blogging contests

Basically...these winning essays are selected from all of you "grown-ups" out there writing on Stage of Life...

Past Writing Contest Winners

On My Own Stories

Moving house with all your possessions, furniture items and big heavy boxes is quite a journey, so the key for a better and smoother relocation is in the preparation. You should take your free time to organize everything in advance and should have plenty of time to supervise all that is going on throughout the moving day. It is recommended to compile a moving checklist, which should be similar and yet different from the inventory sheet. It comes to a checklist like a schedule...
In every action we do, it always has the effects to ourselves and even in our society. We make changes; we accept the changes. It is a give-and-take process that has the results for ours, too. It can be good in nature or evil by choice. It is upon us if we are going to be the pioneer of the good or the evil in our society. As part of the life of every individual in this world, even adults or young ones, changes are inevitable and feasible. These may go into physical, mental,...
If you’ve gone out to work before your child could actually walk, you will understand me. After year and a half being on maternity leave I decided to find a job. That wasn’t my desire to break out of a rut but rather necessity dictated by financial obstacles and costly childcare. But, in all fairness, I did want some change in my life that would throw me out of caravan of drab days full of household chores and babysitting.When I finally found a job, it seemed just what I ne...
Do you believe in life after death?...
Be the change... This three word phrase is such a big and heavy word to process uttered by my boss. I am currently working in a government school here in the Philippines. I am a newbie here. I am not familiar with the system yet. As days, weeks and months pass by, I am starting to see the real picture of the field I've chosen to serve. There are so many loopholes, flaws and imperfections that really demotivates me to become a better teacher. There were teachers who are seni...
For society is always paving the way for science, finance etc. with the motive of 'betterment,' fooling all discerning into investing everything into them. These discerning aristocrats then further reward the multitude who are not as gulible to invest in the name of supposed betterment; with money. This is a further motive for even the thin remainder of thinkers and rationalists to invest their heart and soul into science, finance etc. A wise man once said, 'If everything i...
Doing something in which we are not interested is like forcing a lion to transform into herbivorous animal. People often end up with either of two possibilities, one is to enjoy life by living it as per our own wishes and second thing to suppress our wishes and acts as per demands of situation. Both situation ultimately give personal,social and monetary satisfaction but the one who lives his life as he/she wants,steals the show.It all started in school when dancing aspect...
We can change ourselves because we are always changing without even realizing it. As a man or women changes in their own shopping habits so does the attitudes of companies and corporations change to adapt. We need not to wait on our mother or loved one to change first rather become the first to change. I was sitting on the kitchen table at my grandmother’s house when my uncle said, “ You can cheat, You can eat meat on the weekends and still be vegetarian.” I stated Tio Juan, ...
This Christmas our gift to our adult kids and their families was an overnight stay to an indoor water park. We have three sons and a nephew who Lost both of his parents. One son is married - it's his second marriage now of 5 plus years. Another son lives with a women who befriended the other son's ex wife after his divorce and after developing and moving in with my other son (I hope this makes since - as it's difficult to follow). This, of course, created hurt feelings on se...
It was a Friday night and I got a call from my friend. As usual I thought, she must have called me to discuss college gossip or about the get together that we had been planning. I was taken aback, when I got to know that she had called me for a social cause. Since Christmas was approaching and she being a member of an NGO, wanted me to volunteer as well. I immediately said yes and was pretty excited about the whole volunteering affair as it was my first time. Everyone is exci...
Last month ago my aunt was rushed to emergency room and suffered of hemorrhagic stroke. She was of kind of stubborn and refused to be treated before she had this. Being stubborn runs in my mother's family side apparently. I suggested to all that she needed to be transported in ambulance and not in our car because I believe she wouldn't make it because I saw few symptoms that cannot be ignored and waited out. If I didn't still push to call the ambulance she wouldn't make becau...
Today, it’s Mother’s Day. The day where mothers of the world get recognized for all they do for their children. Mother’s Day is one of my favorite holidays. She has helped me become an adult. Ever since I started college, I've felt lost and scared. But my mom was always there for support. I always go all out for my mom on Mother’s Day. Chocolates, flowers, perfume, everything my mom loved, she got. I actually spoiled her more on Mother’s Day than her birthday. I fee...
Growing up I had a great child hood. I had to older brothers they born 1974-1979. I always was close to them both and I have a sister a year apart we all biological kids. By both parents. I remember having a nice grandmother who born 1921. She is the older image of me. I remember my high school graduation in 2009. My mom always told me I am beautiful inside and out I told her I feel ugly and cheated out of education. She told me I am not ugly. Now It's 2015 I no longer have m...
It is nice to believe that changing is easy and that everyone has the ability to do it. But that would be over optimistic. Not impossible, mind you, just optimistic. People are, first and foremost, stubborn. They don’t want to change because they’re afraid or someone is pushing it or they don’t want to be considered a lesser person. On the other hand, some people change far too easily. Child stars, for example, tend to believe that they need to shatter their old “wholesom...
Looking forward into the future I am going to change the world very significantly. First to do that though, I will have to start with myself. I have really got to step it up and get to work. What I need to do is really straight forward. I got to just stay in school and focus on nothing else besides my grades. I mean the sooner that I can get to college and get the degree for the counseling field is when change would start to happen. I would start with one person and move to t...
How often do you find yourself checking your phone before you get up from bed or missing out the breakfast just because you need to get to work timely? Do your days look like a non-stop marathon and until the evening you feel absolutely exhausted? If so, then probably you need to use natural grounding practice to avoid imbalance during the day. You can fall into the trap of busyness, just when you spend all day...
If you feel like your life is stagnating and getting boring and predictable, it may be a good time to do something about it. Sometimes you can feel like you are in a rut, because you do the same things and go to the same places every day. Maybe you also encounter the same people in your life all the time. You will find a great deal of benefits once you decide to meet new people, and here is why. Fresh New Ideas - one of the best ways to clear your thinking is to include o...
It’s often hard to find the right words to say or things to do when your loved one is in the middle of grieving. You may be afraid of making the person feel worse with inappropriate words or actions, or perhaps you think that there is little you can do to make things better.It’s easy to feel lost about how to help a grieving person. Nevertheless, while you can’t take all pain of loss away, you can give much-needed support and comfort. There are many different ways to help...
If I won the lottery today, I would first off thank the gods of economic weather, for the blowing the winds of 102 Kenya shillings selling for one dollar our way. Exchange rates can be a hellhole, but in my case it would be pure heavenly bliss, perfect timing. I digress.I would find my way to the best mobile phone store I know and get me a nice smartphone, you know, the type that can actually respond to a selfie stick aux cord. For as long as I can remember, I have had a ph...
Once upon a time… Probably the most famous introduction of any story ever published. But what if a certain fairy tale would suddenly happen to you? Nowadays the overwhelming majority of us is utterly convinced that there are no such things as trolls, wizards and Cinderellas, but does that really mean all magical miracles have vanished from our world?Not the way I see it!Still, there remains one essential difference between Cinderella and you winning the lottery (inclu...
Inessa Buniatyan Winning the Lottery: Wise Spending When a large amount of money gets put into someones hands they tend to spend it on things that are not going to benefit them in the future. If I was lucky enough to win the lottery I would spend my money wisely. I wouldn't spend it only on myself because not a lot of people get the opportunity to win something as big as that these days. My friends mother passed away from s...
It was a warm and sunny Sunday Morning no better weather could I have asked for after a long and stressful week. All I could have asked for that day was to enjoy the rest of the day in peace and silence without any distractions from school or work. Ahhh and I did enjoy it. For the first five minutes. If it wasn’t one thing it was another. And then my phone rang, “Janice! Janice! New lottery tickets are out and the prize is better than any ever offered, you have to buy a tic...
My favorite book is Wonder by: R.J. Palacio. It has a lot of pages it all starts with August and ends with Miranda I think I'm not sure you have to read to find out. I would recommend this to a friend because they would enjoy it. I would recommend R.J. Palacio to make a book called Wonder 2 and so on because I enjoyed. I wish I met her in person. ...
Once upon a time i would see leaves falling down from trees and the sun shinning where ever the people go and they would have a shadow following them to watch over you when you are walking outside in few weeks thanksgiving will be coming and the kids are getting excited to have there dinner with family and friends and talk for a while about what they are thankful for. if i had to say about what i was thankful for i would say being with my family and my voice because i love to...
It has been a rough few months for me. I had a personal issue but doing better. There's many people that you meet along the way in life. Some leave a lasting impression. I had energy issues, always felt tired. My own personal doctor of 18 years, tells me "it's all in your head." What doc? No way. So my good close friend went through a virtual program that changed his life, I did the same and it changed my life. So kudos to Dr. Kim Crawford, I owe you so much. I can't begin to...
I catch an early morning bus to work from Arlington VA into D.C. each weekday. Generally, I see the same faces riding every morning, each of us zombies of the morning rituals and habits that funnel us to the same vehicle, at the same time, day after day. We read papers, chit-chat with other riders, take quick naps, or pretend to take quick naps so as not to have to chit-chat with other riders. Primarily the same people, same seats, every day.One morning, however, in the se...
Let's imagine our life with out environment.environment is the natural world,it's surrounding in a person,Animal or plant,IF we protect out environment we Can breath clean air Even our Little pet's Can survive,why we do not wary about our environment? By removing trees,by air pollution and not caring,we Are destroying our environment,IF we keep this up,there Will be no Animals,plants,humans, no one want to die in this world so we shall keep our environment clean up!...
The wind is blowing The sun is shinning The leaves are falling down From the treesChanging different colorsGoing on to the ground Looking all around Getting colderDay by dayIts OctoberGoing to be Halloween soonEverybody is getting readyCarving PumpkinsMaking facesThe night beforeTo light them upOn HalloweenIt's almost thereEverybody is excitedWaiting until it is darkWearing costumesAll over townKnocking on every doorSaying trick or treatTo get some can...
Most students know that feeling: even if you are ready for the test completely, you sit down to take it and feel butterflies in your stomach. Your thoughts become messy. You take a pen in your head, and your mind seems to be completely blank. Everyone becomes anxious before a test. Some anxiety helps to focus, but too much of it results in poor outcomes. If you think that you may...
As we go about our daily lives it is hard not to take advantage of everything that we have around us that keeps us safe from our environment: Shoes to protect our feet from rocks, ice, and biting insects, clothes to keep us warm and dry, vehicles to travel in speed and at whatever temperature we want on the inside. Even our buildings are provided to keep us as comfortable as possible. Our own ideas, inventions, struggles, and growing civilizations have, without our entire ...

Advertiser

Coupons for Life - 5% to 50% Off

As an educational writing initiative, StageofLife.com is fortunate to have the support of hundreds of brands who support this writing community and our literacy mission.  Because of that, you can save 5% to 50% off with Stage of Life's free My Life Rewards® program. 

Get discounts at Applebee's, Papa John's, Lenovo, AAMCO, and many more...

Applebee's gift card discountDiscount on pizza at PapaJohns.com from StageofLife.com Lenovo discount from StageofLife.com AAMCO auto discount from StageofLife.com