Writing Community about Single Living

Singles Blog on StageofLife.com

Share a Story about being "On My Own."  Enter Blogging Contests for Singles...

Stage of Life® is a writing community designed around that unique life stage of living on your own, being single, having roommates, dating and exploring new relationships (even those starting over again after a divorce).  Get involved with our literacy mission to make the world a better place through blogging:  Share a personal essay about a life experience, explore our quotes about being single, save money with our printable in-store coupons and coupon codes, and more.  Whether you're in a serious relationship or living life on your own, we look forward to reading your essays and helping you save money...throughout your single life.  Get started now...

Enter StageofLife.com singles writing contest Twitter Contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for singles on StageofLife.com
Enter the monthly national writing contest for singles: April 2014

"First Love Writing Contest"
Don't have time to write today?
Enter our new, "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.
Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com
Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's coupon code from StageofLife.com     Lenovo computer discount for Stage of Life members

Best of our Bloggers

Recent Writing Contests - Winners

Before you scroll down to read the essays, stories, and blogs being submitted to StageofLife.com, let's celebrate the recent writing contest winners.  We select one essay each month from across all of the non-student life stages to win our monthly blogging contest.  Basically...these winning essays are selected from all of you "grown-ups" out there writing on Stage of Life.
Enter Writing ContestsCURRENT 2014 Writing Contests - All Life Stages - ENTER NOW...

Writing contest winnerFebruary 2014 Writing Contest Winner

Writing Prompt:  "What is the meaning of the Olympic Spirit?
Winning Essay: The Olympic Spirit: Go For the Gold by Aprillw
National Press Release:  Pending

Writing contest winnerJanuary 2014 Writing Contest Winner

Writing Prompt:  "What are your hopes & fears for the new year?"
Winning Essay: Dear Peanut: I hope you never know by Melcol92
National Press Release:  View Stage of Life press release

Writing Contest WinnersPAST CONTEST WINNERS:  Find the list of our writing contest winners on our Writing Contest Winners page.

On My Own Stories

I have 2 options. 1 Go to one of the biggest concerts in this country and be kicked out. Or not go, waste 120 for the ticket that I already bought, and get kicked out a couple of weeks later because of something else that I supposedly did wrong.I am 18 Years old and my parents refuse to recognize the fact. I practically live under a rock. Every time I want to go out and do anything they give me some excuse ( mainly telling me that whatever I want to do is going to in some ...
Teenage love is the first understanding of strong emotional feelings a person has for another. Its still in its original wrapping and true to its purest form of promoting unconditionality towards another. Teen love may not last but it shows a person that love is possible....
She walked over to him to take his order.. He gave his order, the usual “hamburger, fries and an iced tea,” She walked away wishing that one day he would want her. The net day he walked in, sat at the bar. And just watched her.. Didn't order, didn't say a thing.... just watched. He waited till everyone left and said.. You're beautiful, kissed her and walked out.. She never saw him again......
I live with someone who has a mental illness. My grandma has mild cognitive impairment. What that is that she has early systems of Allz timers. She has her good days and her bad days. She cant remember things we tell her in the beginning of the week. My grandmas heath has gone down tremendously since her diagnoses. It just goes to show how mental illness can effect someone. Mental illness is no matter to joke about. My grandma before her mental illness was a different person ...
Hi I'm Aly and I'm 19, I have schizophrenia,depression,bipolar, and borderline personality disorder. Yes I have all that. This is my story. I was in and out of hospitals since I was 14. I was hospitalized 10 times. I have really bad episodes where I cut myself scream and break things. I don't mean to but I do. I have been on every medication imaginable. I currently take 12 pills a day. No one knows how to help me. I am so tired of being a statistic. I am always scared and co...
These past weeks have felt like a whirlwind of events, images, and faces. For the first time in my life I was in the hospital overnight, and also for the first time: I landed in a mental institution. Not long ago I was serving as an LDS Missionary in South Korea. Not long ago I was engaged in fulfilling work, inviting people to learn about the Gospel of Jesus Christ, teaching free English, and learning the language. Now I'm here: back in America, and I wonder sometimes h...
From the comfy chair in the Psychiatrist's office, I am often asked the common question, "How do you feel?". Ah, the proverbial question that prompts me to mentally scan my body for any and every physical symptom that could possibly pop into mind. That is until my mind reminds me that I am mentally ill and that technically I suppose I should be describing an emotion that matches the current thoughts in my head. Being so accustomed to denial and disassociation, I rea...
Silence fills my world. The teacher is speaking but I can't seem to make out a word. Palms sweating, hands shaking, my teeth clench together. Mouth as dry as the Sahara while I gasp for air but there is no rain in sight. A thousand thought racing through my mind but the world seems to be in slow motion. Feels like a dream when in actuality, it's reality. The pressure is unbearable, the pressure to be "perfect" to be "smart" to be "successful." Feels like my walls are falling ...
I went through a phase in my life where I felt like what I had to say didn't matter. I lived in a hometown where people treated me like I was an alien for saying hello to them. When I talked to my family they acted like what I said didn't matter at all. Sometimes you have to leave your family, friends and negative people who bring you down to feel like you're important. You shouldn't think you are so important that you think or act like you are better than everyone. I wo...
What exactly goes through our minds when we are nervous? Why does our mind take over and stress us out? I mean, that's what it does, right?The mind has the power to make you believe whatever it wants. That is some power!The mind can create a reality for you to experience, and it can tell you whether it's a good one, or a bad one. Sometimes, when you think it's a bad one, you start to act differently. Your breathing changes and your face starts to feel heavy. You can't smi...
Autumn has arrived and the leaves are just beginning to fall, but in my world they are not the only thing falling. My grandma’s grip on reality is falling too. Her mind is falling to the hidden place that, over the past 60 years, it has traveled too frequently. A place called schizophrenia. This is a place which myself and the rest of our family can never visit. We only get to hear the stories of her trips and receive the souvenirs she brings back. To our minds, her visi...
This is my story of depression and what it feels like to have everyone treat you like you're broken and that you could shatter at any moment. Think about if you had to wake up every morning, dreading the entire day. Not wanting to be around people, not even your best friends. You don't want to have to talk to anybody because it only mad you angry, or sad. That is every single day of my life. Every day it feels like I am walking through a room in complete darkness. There ...
The shrill sounds of screaming pierce my ears as panic escapes from my student's mouth. She screeches and screeches until suddenly the shouting ceases and turns into cackling and pure, sadistic laughter which bursts out from within her. By now, she has hopped out of her seat and is rocking in an unsteady motion. Her eyes bulge out from her head and appear hollow and distant. Just as quickly, as the episode starts, it stops. Stricken, I run to her and ask her what is wrong....
As I was commuting by train on Tuesday, Feb 4, 2014, I picked up Metro Newspaper and as I was reading the paper I stumbled into a story about Fisherman Jose Salvador Albarengo, 37, originally from El Salvador, who had set sail on a shark fishing trip in his fibreglass boat in December 2012 from Mexico, 10,000km away, but was blown out to sea.What was supposed to be a one-day fishing expedition if the fisherman wasn’t blown off course by the northern winds, ended up causing h...
It usually happens like the flick of a light switch: I’ll be sitting in my car, driving home on the packed-like-sardines 95, when my brain comes to life and taunts me, “Wow, aren’t you a worthless piece of s**t?”I resolve to ignore the bully and turn up the volume. Rise Against pounds against my eardrums, but I can still hear the voice, growing louder, “What’s the point of you? You don’t even matter.”I bite my lip and tighten my grip on the steering wheel. I won’t listen ...
I must have the word Inadequate boldly printed on my face.For some reason I will never be enough. I was in a relationship form 8 1/2 years three kids and I get hit with I'm still young and I want to enjoy life. Forgetting the fact we have children, and the only excuse given to me is "i'm crazy". I'm crazy because, I believe that in order to make a relationship work you have to communicate with the person your with and not seek outside help from a relative who doesn't...
Throughout history, the Juvenile Dependency Courts have gradually evolved to become the convoluted and destructive corner in the Superior Courts; at least, one has to believe that the Dependency/ Child Welfare Courts that now span nationwide, at first originated with the real and true Best Interests of the Child at heart. That is most certainly NOT what drives the Department of Family & Children’s Services today, despite the fact that this agency is only in existence as a mea...
My interpretation of " Olympic Spirit " is determination of pursuing your dreams and never giving up on what you believe in. Just as Wilma Rudolph said, " Never underestimate the power of dreams and the influence of the human spirit...", you're capable of doing almost anything you put your mind to, so why doubt about anything? In life you're going to doubt certain abilities you have. ...
Runaways have higher rates of depression, physical and sexual abuse, alcohol and drug problems, delinquency, school problems, and difficulties with peers than juveniles who do not run away.Many runaways have been exposed to high levels of violence, either as victims or as witnesses.Juveniles in substitute care (e.g., foster care, group homes) are more likely to run away than juveniles who live at home with a parent or guardian. The chances of juveniles in care running awa...
What the Olympic spirit means to me is the spirit of unity with all of the countries that have come together to participate with one another with no feuds what so ever. As well as the competition and power of will being shown with the competitors. It also allows others to know how far each of them has gone to be part of such an intense competition. Not only does it let a lot of countries come to more of a calm piece of mind with one another, but shows how all ethnicities ...
Olympic Spirit is an officially sanctioned program of the International Olympic Committee. I think it is a peaceful and better world in the Olympic Spirit which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play. Olympic Spirit strives to inspire and motivate the youth of the world to be the best they can be through educational and entertaining interactive challenges. it is the spirit of unity to be together all of us. to create something good...
Dasia K. ThompsonFebruary 19, 2014Olympic Spirit: The Guts and Glory Wilma Rudolph once said “Never underestimate the power of dreams and the influence of the human spirit. We are all the same in this notion: The potential for greatness lives within each of us.” The greatness comes from you and yourself. All you need is your human spirit to influence your dreams and then greatness is found. The only thing that stops you from striving for your goal is the will power/self...
The whole point of the Olympics, summer or winter is to show all your skills and see if you can achieve your goal. Every Olympian has a different goal. Some may be to at least go to finals or to even achieve that gold medal. It’s true that not everybody achieves their goal but it’s still worth trying. The road to get to the Olympics is worthwhile. All of the intense practice, the sweat, the tears, the stress. Olympians have it rough. And to represent their country makes is m...
When I was younger I use to watch the Olympics. But now I don’t watch the Olympics I don’t find them very fun and interesting anymore. But when I did watch the Olympics I loved the figure skating and the snowboarding I find those sports so interesting and fun it’s really fun to watch those they’re a lot of fun. I don’t plan on watching the Olympics because there honestly not much fun to me. Although I wouldn’t mind being a figure skater or a professional snowboarder. I love ...
Olympic HopeA clean, slick, reflective a dream being carved by the dance of a hopeful soulThe fear as the soft, fluffy, glimmering snow flies in the airAnd the soul twists, winds, and flips soaring writing historyA never ending blissful, joyous, luminous dream Carved into the minds of millionsLeaving nothing but a burning hope A hope for gold, glory, and remembranceThe fear as the soul latches onto the bars Pulling themselves up and up and up Until t...
The Olympic Spirit: The United States Should Win Everything Every two years, the Olympics infiltrate my household. Bob Costas' voice rings through each room announcing the event of the hour. I gather around the TV and watch each sport no matter how obscure (luge) or bemusing (curling) it is. The drone of the commentary even captivates my attention, and I hang on to every word as if I actually comprehend the difference between an Axel jump and a Lutz jump. Even more, th...
Dear you,I address faux letters to you differently than my stories about you.When I talk to my usual audience, I am aware that they do not know what it means to be wrapped up in your presence. They do not understand how I feel when my body freezes because your smell drifted towards my nose. Nor do they understand how you look in dark purple v-necks, where the viewer, namely me, can see just a bit of the hair across your chest – but not enough to make it weird.They don’t...
Whenever I get frustrated or really angry, my body turns anger into tears. It seems like a leftover trait from my infancy that never got translated into real adult feelings, i.e. the ability to control myself and my emotions. But still. Sometimes we can’t help ourselves.I know that at work we’re supposed to conduct ourselves professionally and sometimes without emotion. For an emotional person, this is always a challenge. I work in customer service for a major PR firm, and ...
“Humans are the only creatures who pay to live on the earth” it’s terrifyingly true. We work hard every day of our lives, simply for the right to get by, growing up and learning so that we can work, working and growing old so that we can retire, living out our retirement to the standards our years of work allow. If you don’t work hard and save a lot of money then there isn’t much you can do in your old age, because everything costs money. When the time finally came for me...
My whole life I have been terrifyingly shy and quiet. I don't know why, but it just is. The thought of talking to peers is terrifying. I remember the first kickball league I joined. I was sitting in the parking lot looking at the field and looking at the teams and not knowing a single person. I almost didn't get out of the car. I called my roommate and asked her what the hell was I thinking?! I can't meet a whole group of people by myself! I did though. I did it for kickball...

Advertiser

Coupons for Life - 5% to 50% Off

As an educational writing initiative, StageofLife.com is fortunate to have the support of hundreds of brands who support this writing community and our literacy mission.  Because of that, you can save 5% to 50% off with Stage of Life's free My Life Rewards® program. 

Get discounts at Target.com, Papa John's, Lenovo, AAMCO, and many more...
Discount at Target.com on StageofLife.com Discount on pizza at PapaJohns.com from StageofLife.com Lenovo discount from StageofLife.com AAMCO auto discount from StageofLife.com