Writing Community about Single Living

Singles Blog on StageofLife.com

Share a Story about being "On My Own."  Enter Blogging Contests for Singles...

Stage of Life® is a writing community designed around that unique life stage of living on your own, being single, having roommates, dating and exploring new relationships (even those starting over again after a divorce).  Get involved with our literacy mission to make the world a better place through blogging:  Share a personal essay about a life experience, explore our quotes about being single, save money with our printable in-store coupons and coupon codes, and more.  Whether you're in a serious relationship or living life on your own, we look forward to reading your essays and helping you save money...throughout your single life.  Get started now...

Enter StageofLife.com singles writing contest Twitter Contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for singles on StageofLife.com
Enter the monthly national writing contest for singles: April 2015

"Animals in our lives"
Don't have time to write today?
Enter our new, "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.
Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com
Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's coupon code from StageofLife.com     Lenovo computer discount for Stage of Life members

Best of our Bloggers

Recent Writing Contest Winners

Winning Essay WritersWinning Writing Contest EssaysBefore you scroll down to read the essays, stories, and blogs being submitted to StageofLife.com, let's celebrate the recent writing contest winners.  We select one essay each month from across all of the non-student life stages to win our monthly blogging contests

Basically...these winning essays are selected from all of you "grown-ups" out there writing on Stage of Life...

Past Writing Contest Winners

On My Own Stories

This is a story about my dog; he was really cute and small. His name was bear and he was 2 years old. He loves to play with balls, he would catch the ball if you throw it too him, he likes to wrestle, and he has sharp nails. He is a tannish color he has brown eyes. He has a nose like a pug and I he is really sweet. He doesn’t to take baths; he loves to roll in mud. He likes to chase his tail and he loves to bite a lot of stuff. ...
A time I felt stressed was when I once to went Canadian Tire, I was with my Dad and my sister, we had went in for a hockey stick, and when we were there a couple with their parents because they were having car troubles, and when we were in line to pay for our item we heard a big bang, and next thing we know is that there was a young man on the ground and his wife was on the ground with him. All you could hear was call 911!!!! She kept repeating, she was definitely nervous for...
Sometimes roommates may become a real nightmare. Both of you need your personal space. That is why, conflicts, controversies and fights make a routine practice of students sharing a room. However, there are some effective methods of how to set a balance with them instead of having conflicts. Let’s find out how to be a good roommate and enjoy your co-residence. It is true that anyone can become your roommate so you should be prepared to get along with everybody. Some roomm...
The blazing hot side of the highway was not what Joanna had pictured when she decided to leave the dull sameness of her small home town known as Serenity in the mountains of West Virginia. She had left in the hopes of finding excitement beyond someone catching a fish as big as their arm in the small stream that the people of Serenity referred to as a river. Of course she hadn’t been entirely sure what she should picture because she had only graduated high school a week ago wi...
The gently creeping autumn wind seemed to whisper eerie secrets as it drifted in through the open window. Emma wondered what stories the wind had to tell. She sat up, brushing her long, tangled, black hair out of her eyes. She wrapped her arms around herself, as if her fragile limbs could ward off the cold. She peered out of the window, down at the trash-strewn street, which was vacant save the homeless men wrapped in ragged blankets sleeping on the side of the road. Homeless...
Janet sighed loudly, glaring at her six foot three fiancé who was standing on the kitchen table in his socks and a pair of boxers. The only good thing about it being one AM was that the neighbors wouldn’t be likely to be awake and therefore couldn’t look through their windows to see the man who often did yard work for them and fixed their cars crying like a five year old girl. Janet pulled her tangled mess of dark hair up into a messy bun as she let her eyes wonder across ...
Goal Setting in SchoolMy name is Tom Denning and I have 22 years experience as an educator, as both a teacher and administrator. I taught at the Elementary level for 5 years and 4 years at the middle school level. I graduated from Jersey City State College with a BA Degree in Education in 1973 and received my Masters Degree in Administration and Supervision from New Jersey City University, formerly known as Jersey City State College in 2001 . I earned my Doctoral Degree ...
Happiness at work is an important part of career success. It’s easy to be happy in our everyday personal life. However, we can also get happiness at work under control. It comes from regular practices and cardinal changing of mindset. As Francesca Reigler said, “Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same”. First and for...
On Easter Sunday my grandfather unexpectedly passed away. He had been in declining health and he had called a sister to say "I'm not doing well." To him, it was exactly the way he wanted to go: in his home. To me, it's devastating because there was no last chance to say goodbye. As the week went on, I tried to smile every now and again. I avoided the question "How are you?" I begged friends to get together and I shopped for a funeral dress. I prepared for the wake and funer...
Animals don’t understand humans, so what? Do we understand them? We just love each other… and that’s all that matters. Ever since I was young I always wanted an animal. But when my mum asked me why, I actually didn’t know, but now I do. I have this amazing and cute puppy, she is charming and her name is Nora. We have loads of fun together. Of course I have a wonderful family but when I didn’t have a small fluffy ball of fur running around and bringing joy, I felt like som...
For adult children, taking the step of moving out of the house, whether it’s to go away to college, get married, or start a career of their own, is a little nerve-racking, but mostly exciting. It’s a new adventure and one most kids take on eagerly as they finally achieve that independence they’ve been craving.Move-out day has a different meaning for parents, however, especially when the last child moves away. Yes, they’re excited for their children and ready to see them suc...
I have always been a lover of Cats and Dogs and only have been fortunate enough to own one pet in my lifetime. It was an amazing long haired feline by the name of “Miss Kitty.” She was a beautiful show Cat, adorned with 3 to 4 different marking colors; tan, dark brown, black and white. Each color seemed to have been hand painted in a variation of brush strokes by the creator. Miss. Kitty was a rescue cat which I obtained from a friend who had too many pets to care for. At ...
The eye of the storm is predicted to strike here, in Tampa, after passing through Cuba. It’s August, 2004, and for a year Hurricane Charley will be known as the strongest hurricane since Andrew pounded Florida in 1992. It will last for 6 days, cause 20 fatalities, and $16.3 billion in damages. I load my cat Sandy and belongings inside my 2 door Mustang, fill up with gas, and head north. It is only twilight and already the sky is devastatingly dark, the highway gridloc...
I'm Sha. It'd be nice to know who reads this stuff. I'm kind of curious about everything. Well I'm just a girl who loves to write thoughts down. Fleeting, random thoughts. People used to like my stuff in HS. Lol , how corny do I sound? Like the washed up 40 year old jock who now has a beer belly. I've never really got my full shine on though... Just kinda glistened a little bit.. I wanna shine. ...
You may have wondered what goes in to determining the insurance cost for a given car. The cost of the car is a given, but there are other factors that are considered as well. For instance, the more powerful the engine, the more likely drivers are to drive a little on the wild side, thus driving up the cost to insure it. Some cars are more likely to be stolen than others which also adds to the cost of insuring it. What follows is a list of the ten least expensive cars to insur...
Recently I have realized that a person who once said that everything is a good in moderation was definitely onto something. Some people say: “Think positively, because happy thoughts can make everything better.” No matter how awful the things get despite the hardest efforts to think positively, a classical optimist will continue saying that “the glass is always half-full”, “every cloud has a silver lining”, and no matter what “there is a light at the end of a tunnel”. ...
I'm sure there are problems in everyone's life,people are facing worst part of their life but it is better to remember that morning comes after night i would like to share with you a story. Once upon there was girl whose name was nisha she was the daughter of a very famous doctor and a housewife,she had two older brothers she was childish like others she was just perfect,everyone loved her alot but one day she was playing outside and suddenly someone rapped her(i can't tell t...
He was supposed to have been in the prime of his golden years. A man who lived 76 years of his life by the rules of simplicity and the strictures of caring for one's own health…that man was not supposed to be afflicted by the tragedy about to unfold. Yet, such is reality…that we are all one day plucked out of existence in spite of all virtues we have to offer. Hailing from the south Indian State of Kerala I am supposed to be one among its 30 million inhabitants who relish...
If your allergic to Birds you should not be reading this. I have a bird her name is sweeteie I got her from a bird shelter. She had a broken wing, foot, and a broken beak. It took years for her to adapet to her life style. I had to skip second grade to take care of her I;m in fith grade now. I had to do that because if you want have a bird you have to give he or she lots of attention. Because if you do not give your bird lots of attention he or she will be really depressed...
I have a deep loathing for winter bicyclists.I understand that you are trying to be "green" and not use fossil fuels. In fact, in the summer all you bipedalers make me feel a little guilty for driving around in my 15-20 mpg truck. But in the winter? That's a whole other kettle of fish. First, you must be crazy to be thinking of trying to ride a bicycle on snow-packed, icy roads. It looks plain dangerous. I don't care how beefy your tires are or how many zip ties you put o...
Dont you ever do something bad and then later on you regret it. Well I do today I told my brother he was an idoit he can not defend him self becuase he is only three. Also once my friend Jocelyn said I was ugly,stupid, and dumb....
If there’s one thing a woman doesn’t want to do is feel a foreign object where there was never one before. It’s creepy, somehow. It’s like, hey, you weren’t there last week, and now you are? But, nevertheless, this foreign object was on the outer aspect of my left breast. The dreaded lump. It’s amazing how one little word, and a funny sounding one at that, can inspire such dread and foreboding. A lump. I have a lump. It could mean anything! You bump your head, you get a lump....
Weather here in PA sucks. Its very unpreditiable. Meteorologist may make a predition, but the preditions can be so far off. They could say it's going to be a nice, sunny day with the temperture at 85, but it actually turns out to be a thunderstorm. ...
I knew Fargo, North Dakota would be a stark difference from San Jose, California and I questioned why I even applied in the Midwest for my psychology residency. The first thing I noticed upon stepping off the plane was how I immediately coughed. The cold January wind knocked the life out of me. I rushed to the hotel where my classmate was waiting for me. We had a weekend until our interviews on Monday and decided to explore the city beginning with downtown. It was not snowing...
Chapter one I grabbed my phone and looked at the time, 6:30!! I was runnning late, the bus was going to be here any minute! I threw on some random clothes that were laying on my dresser. I ran down stairs as fast as i could with my hairbrush in my hand and my phone in the other. I grabbed the key off the door step when i walked out, perfect timing i thou...
[size=6]omg!!she is so pretty ....!! is a common lie said by every girl.WE are so selfish! aren't we?.we cant hear good about anyone but can speak bad about anyone at our level best.no matter how much we decline this fact but the truth is that we judge people on the basis of their appearance.We hate people with bad looks and make them feel inferior.none of us is bad at looks that's why Elmo is red and cookie monster is blue and still cute.we all are god gifted and special in ...
“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent,” Eleanor Roosevelt. Have you ever thinked about the situations around the world today, the way you act, the way you talk or how you treat someone? How you can really impact people’s life in a positive or negative way. Words have power. There are words that can either bring life, or beat your heart down, making you feel less than human. In this quote, it describes very specifically, that no one can make you feel ...
Eleanor Roosevelt said, “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” In a sense, that is true. But in a truer sense, it’s not nearly that simple. It is not simply giving someone “consent” to have power over how we feel about ourselves. So let’s look a little deeper. Let’s talk about the power of words.Read a good story, even a fictional one, and the simple words on the page can make you laugh, cry, mourn, rejoice, and experience emotions as real as if the sit...
I graduated college with a BA in English at the age of eighteen. As I have transitioned into the workforce, I have faced criticism from well-meaning coworkers who inadvertly put me down. As a teacher at a private tutorial, I work with some amazing people. However, during planning meetings, any input I provide is met with apprehension from my coworkers. Nearly every time I suggest something, somebody comments that since I am so young, I don't have the experience necessary to r...
She was my mathematics teacher. At that time, we were in training course before taking an important exam to take a next step to high schools. In this country, this exam represents a significant landmark in each student’s life. Apparently, everyone in my class was supposed to write down and learn by heart everything from her lessons and they were just basic mathematics that I’d learnt before. So basically, I never paid attention to her, just doing my own practises. That is why...

Advertiser

Coupons for Life - 5% to 50% Off

As an educational writing initiative, StageofLife.com is fortunate to have the support of hundreds of brands who support this writing community and our literacy mission.  Because of that, you can save 5% to 50% off with Stage of Life's free My Life Rewards® program. 

Get discounts at Applebee's, Papa John's, Lenovo, AAMCO, and many more...

Applebee's gift card discountDiscount on pizza at PapaJohns.com from StageofLife.com Lenovo discount from StageofLife.com AAMCO auto discount from StageofLife.com