Writing Community about Single Living

Singles Blog on StageofLife.com

Share a Story about being "On My Own."  Enter Blogging Contests for Singles...

Stage of Life® is a writing community designed around that unique life stage of living on your own, being single, having roommates, dating and exploring new relationships (even those starting over again after a divorce).  Get involved with our literacy mission to make the world a better place through blogging:  Share a personal essay about a life experience, explore our quotes about being single, save money with our printable in-store coupons and coupon codes, and more.  Whether you're in a serious relationship or living life on your own, we look forward to reading your essays and helping you save money...throughout your single life.  Get started now...

Enter StageofLife.com singles writing contest Twitter Contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for singles on StageofLife.com
Enter the monthly national writing contest for singles: Sept. 2014

"What's Your Identity?"
Don't have time to write today?
Enter our new, "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.
Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com
Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's coupon code from StageofLife.com     Lenovo computer discount for Stage of Life members

Best of our Bloggers

Recent Writing Contest Winners

Winning Essay WritersWinning Writing Contest EssaysBefore you scroll down to read the essays, stories, and blogs being submitted to StageofLife.com, let's celebrate the recent writing contest winners.  We select one essay each month from across all of the non-student life stages to win our monthly blogging contests

Basically...these winning essays are selected from all of you "grown-ups" out there writing on Stage of Life...

Past Writing Contest Winners

On My Own Stories

The All of Me Thoughts are constant and sometimes create congruence and other instances ignite conflict. Whether affliction or celebration bears witness, a habitual response commands recollection, free of constraints and supplemented order. Today, you’re every notion in between tomorrow, should this insist the necessary redemption of you, your gusto, the twinkle your eye so misses, time could tell. If it takes a bit of tomfoolery to ignite the fortress that is you, the soul...
I've been concerned about my brother for a long time now. He's been in and out of work, needing money all the time. It has been hard on me sending money and mom is stressed out to say the least. Just received the phone call and my brother is an official truck driver. He lives in AZ, I live in WV. Hopefully I'll see him soon.Becoming a truck driver is a great career choice. You get to see the world, make good money but you spend a lot of time on the road. If your stuck in yo...
Almost an year ago, on my birthday, I wrote a letter to myself, which I was supposed to open on my next birthday. Here it is:"Hey Kiddo,Thank you for writing me and sending me positive thoughts :). I am extremely happy that you were able to change your live for the best. You finally managed to pull yourself together and have not only dreamed of a better future, but actually visualized and planned it. The baby steps you took, paid off. You finally started earning really w...
Next week, I enter into my first year as a teacher. I aim to make a difference, to change the world. When asked, who inspired you to teach? One teacher, my 6th grade teacher, comes to mind.Mrs. Rose was a new teacher in a very tough school in a pretty tough area. She had short hair, a loud, powerful voice and a demeanor of positivity-a belief that we could accomplish anything. She wasn't all rainbows and honeycombs but she truly cared about her students and it showed. ...
This poem is for a peaceful but meaningful protests and movement. To make others notice that our justice system is failing to correctly protect citizens. It's time that we make a change and take a stand for what we believe in. To make sure that our future and future generations will be great and proud to live in a peaceful and righteous nation we call The United States of America....
The blessed (for parents) and doomed (for kids) first day of school is fast approaching. I am not a parent, nor am I still in school but I can’t help but cringe as I think back to my own school days.I did not like school; I tolerated it because I had to. I am a quiet person, I do my best work by myself, and while I socialize regularly I view it more as an obligation than a pleasure. I am not a loner, I have good friends but I am not one of those people who have twelve best ...
As summer is coming to an end, I’m realizing this one didn’t feel all that different to me: I went back to my job I spent my summers and other breaks working at while in college, I read all of the books I wanted to during the past school year that I didn’t have time for and then some, and I hung out with friends until ridiculous hours of the morning, narrowly avoiding my parents leaving for work, sneaking in like I did in high school. The only real difference, this is the ...
The first was tall, with dark hair and hazel eyes. The hazel eyes were made hazel with brown and green, and when first looked upon they seemed to be serious. But if there were love in a person, that person saw an immense sadness in the seriousness, and if the love in that person truly loved those hazel eyes she saw a gentleness in the sadness. He had immensely gentle eyes. The girl with him felt small and delicate beside him, and once in a while they would walk ...
When it comes to fashion, what do you visualize in your head? What is the first thought, first classification that comes in mind? Usually, we think about women. Of course, nearly every women cares what they look like. However, men do not follow with the same confidence. Many men don't care what they look like. Men, your making a mistake. Everyone should care what they look like. Women do, why can't men? Yes, men can be ready in 5 minutes. That is true, so why can't men get dr...
The hallway was covered with large posters. Crude drawings of firemen, chefs, teachers, doctors and movie stars surrounded me as I led my parents to my masterpiece. The assignment was typical for a first grade classroom- draw a picture of you in your future dream job and we’ll show them off to all the parents at the open house. Some students had struggled, heavily debating if a fireman or a policeman was more dangerous, while many of my peers imagined themselves growing into ...
It was normal, right? This silly nervousness that fluttered inside my stomach. My hand swept through my bangs again as they rebelliously tried to flop out of place. The pimple on my forehead, right in the center made me wince at myself in the mirror, but maybe, I thought abnormally optimistic, no one would notice with all the other pimples on my cheeks and nose. It would blend in,right? I would blend in,right? The new shirt my mom had bought me seemed to be too tight as I pu...
I started working with crafts from upcycled materials and now I had my GreenPoint Gallery featured on RecyclArt Newsletter dated 7/20/14 and I also now have been accepted into BOMBAY SAPPHIRE Artisan Series: Artwork AcceptedThank you for submitting your artwork to The BOMBAY SAPPHIRE® Artisan Series.Your artwork has been accepted!Below you will find a link to your entry on Facebook. The voting phase begins September 2, 2014. Until then, share your artwork with friends....
Have you ever had a dream so big? I have. We all have idols, right? My one is Eminem, so from now you can tell that I want to be a rapper. Rapping and music is what I love and Eminem inspires me to do that. Now some people may bring you down or want you to be something you don't want to be, well don't let that get in your way because if you keep following your dreams then you will get to the top. It's great to have a dream and it's great to follow it. If you have a dream, th...
There was time when I thought romance always ended up like something out of a Disney movie... you know, "happily ever after"? When it came to love, I followed everything those titular characters told me as well as the sound advice from sever 90s pop songs. That was until my heart was shattered..... back in 2008, my senior year of high school, I lost what was then the love of my teenaged life... he was everything to me and he suddenly broke my heart in ways I didn't know were ...
Before YouTube, finding music usually included going on MySpace and listening to clips of what was current (or the latest single from the Backstreet Boys) When I first discovered the wonderful site known as YouTube, I'll be honest I wasn't that impressed. Dumb videos of dumb people trying to get a laugh. That was until one boring day sometime in July. I was watching viva la bam and a song came on by a band who has now become one of my favorite bands of all time. Despite the s...
Hi.My name is Gaiyathri.I’m from Malaysia.Actually I like to study in United Kingdom.But I can’t make it now.I think this is a good opportunity for me and this will help me to improve my English.My essay is based on my life story.It is a true story.I give a title for this essay.Will Dreams Come True ?Every human have a dream.It is a common thing in everyone lives.I also got a dream.It’s my ambition too.All the dreams will create by the God.But my dream was created by my Her...
In recent years, technology’s rapid advance has made daily life more functional and time sensitive tasks easier to complete. We are no longer bogged down by clunky apparatuses. Electronic devices have become manageable sizes we can now use within the palm of our hands. Communication has expanded; we can now reach out to anyone from almost anywhere. Our planet is becoming greener and evolving into an eco-friendly society, saving trees one email at a time. The growing ...
This is a work of fiction. Names, Characters, places and incidents are the product of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events, locales, or persons, living or dead, is coincidental.This is a short story of a woman's journey into maturity, she is writing about in her personal diary. She is learning to accept her imperfections and admire her unique qualities during the forty-something season of her life. This is when she finds a ne...
All my life I’ve been a romantic. I was drawing pictures of my wedding dress and writing in my journal about my future husband in second grade, when my friends were throwing snowballs and chasing each other in our various yards. I would look up, look out of the window, and wave happily to my red-cheeked friends. Then my head would bend down again, my small fingers gripping my yellow No. 2 pencil tightly, and I would draw and write about my future love.Then I grew up. Boyfrie...
There’s an odor coming from the refrigerator. As a single mom, this particular crisis didn’t rank high on my, “must be fixed immediately so we can survive” scale. Still, it was a little disgusting and when the search for rotten produce came up empty, “fix fridge” moved a little higher up on the list. Next, we started to suspect the water and ice cubes tasted a little funky. This became repulsive quickly and the refrigerator situation got upgraded to “mild crisis, I ...
I can't believe it was was only a couple of months ago that I moved to a new apartment. It was a little nerve wracking because it was the first move that I had to do on my own without the help of my big strong dad and my mother making sure every little thing was perfectly packed away in boxes. But, to be completely honest, I wasn't completely alone and I had also done some research. I had friends that I had bribed with beer and pizza to help me move to the new place. Luck...
You live like stuck in labirint, thinking that somewhen you'll get out and all will be okay but it doesn't come. You are thinking about future to escape from the present. Go to sleep when you don't want to, get up when you don't want to, go there you don't want to. Something like this, said Alaska in awesome John Green's book "Looking for Alaska". She was sure that everything is about and something that is important for you today, is going to doesn't matter tomorrow. ...
I will be showing some of my artwork at The Greenpoint Gallery located at 390 McGuiness Blvd near the Polaski Bridge in GreenPoint. You can take the #7 train to Vernon-Jackson or the G train to Green Point Ave. I will be showcasing my work as Maya Rodriguez. Look forward to seeing all of you. More information at their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/events/1417919808490234/ Maya...
Twenty years ago, the word “viral” applied to smallpox, hepatitis, influenza, ebolavirus, HIV and yellow fever. After 2005, however, the First-World definition of “viral” shifted to “Charlie bit my finger”, “Don’t tase me, bro”, “Leave Britney alone” and “David after the Dentist”. In 2005, YouTube was born. While laughter and joy is an important part of every day life, YouTube has replaced critical world issues with clips of pandas sneezing. Like all things, YouTube is ...
In common usage, the term SINGLE is often used to refer to someone who is not involved in any type of serious romantic relationship, including long-term dating, engagement, or marriage.Many people now a days, prefer to become single because some are tired of having any relationship and maybe because of their past relationship that they want to move on first with their own life and be with their own…that’s only SOME of the explanations I thought of being in a single status a...
Retrospect is a weird thing. As a writer, I’ve scrupulously kept journals since I could write. That habit has (unfortunately) since gone wayward in favor of visual blogging on Tumblr—and I’m sure when I’m 50 and scrolling through pages of “feels” and unnecessarily long tags about how hot some actor or actress is, I’ll probably question myself. But in middle and high school, I diligently recorded my thoughts, feelings, and dreams… about wanting desperately to date and fall i...
New blog entry! The First Day of Real Physical TherapyFor those of you that are following along! For those who may be new, please give it a read. It may help! :)http://bb1364.blogspot.comThanks!~ B...
I can honestly say that I am more than ready to leave, and maybe never come back. I just get so irritated at people that I feel as if something is wrong with me; which is certainly a possibility seeing as I've never been tested or anything....but I am lately in a constant state of feeling like a failure and not caring. I'm just so lost and confused, and I have no one to turn to and no idea whatsoever of what to do....
Dear High Point: It’s not you, it’s me.Okay, actually, that’s a lie. It’s you. It’s definitely you. But let me explain.We’ve had a good four years. I’ll never forget the time that my friends and I hung out in front of the school and colored the sidewalks with chalk… and later got called to the principal’s office for the same reason. I’ll never forget the legions of inside jokes with friends, finding my center in Room 215, or staying up half the night to get AP Lang done...
The wind howled through invisible pipes and slapped the north side of the house with a vengence. I hoped it would subside soon. It was sweet Merr and I's 60th anniversary. Yeah, can you believe it!? In this day and age... the odds?My name is Harold Stanton and sweet Merr, she is my loving wife, my better half, the light of my life and even my high school sweetheart. I call her sweet Merr because that is what I have called her since the day I fell in love with her.They say...

Advertiser

Coupons for Life - 5% to 50% Off

As an educational writing initiative, StageofLife.com is fortunate to have the support of hundreds of brands who support this writing community and our literacy mission.  Because of that, you can save 5% to 50% off with Stage of Life's free My Life Rewards® program. 

Get discounts at Target.com, Papa John's, Lenovo, AAMCO, and many more...
Discount at Target.com on StageofLife.com Discount on pizza at PapaJohns.com from StageofLife.com Lenovo discount from StageofLife.com AAMCO auto discount from StageofLife.com