Writing Community about Single Living

Singles Blog on StageofLife.com

Share a Story about being "On My Own."  Enter Blogging Contests for Singles...

Stage of Life® is a writing community designed around that unique life stage of living on your own, being single, having roommates, dating and exploring new relationships (even those starting over again after a divorce).  Get involved with our literacy mission to make the world a better place through blogging:  Share a personal essay about a life experience, explore our quotes about being single, save money with our printable in-store coupons and coupon codes, and more.  Whether you're in a serious relationship or living life on your own, we look forward to reading your essays and helping you save money...throughout your single life.  Get started now...

Enter StageofLife.com singles writing contest Twitter Contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for singles on StageofLife.com
Enter the monthly national writing contest for singles: Oct. 2014

"Story of a Scar"
Don't have time to write today?
Enter our new, "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.
Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com
Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's coupon code from StageofLife.com     Lenovo computer discount for Stage of Life members

Best of our Bloggers

Recent Writing Contest Winners

Winning Essay WritersWinning Writing Contest EssaysBefore you scroll down to read the essays, stories, and blogs being submitted to StageofLife.com, let's celebrate the recent writing contest winners.  We select one essay each month from across all of the non-student life stages to win our monthly blogging contests

Basically...these winning essays are selected from all of you "grown-ups" out there writing on Stage of Life...

Past Writing Contest Winners

On My Own Stories

Grace. It's something that's given to us on a daily basis, yet often times we take it for granted. There is a bible verse that says, "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God." Eph. 2:8 Well, some weeks ago I was reminded of how much we receive Gods gift of grace. Imagine my surprise when I found out on an ordinary Tuesday morning (around 6 or 7 a.m. to be exact) that I would undergo emergency open heart s...
Let's Give This A Shot In the summer of 2012 almost a year after my separation, my divorce was final. And I thought I was ready to start dating. I had an 11 year old and a 4 year old and worked full time but I thought, why not? People do this all the time, right? I can do this. How hard can it be? Who doesn't love short, freckled, sarcastic chicks? Exactly.So over two years later, here I am...single. Since my first date, I've been telling my people various stories about ...
My heart is an open mind were my invisible wounds for ever will remain there is no way that I could ever forget them. The most important is that you can learn from these unforgettable scars. When I think really hard I can remember my worst scar. It was a long time ago like about when I was 5 years old, just so you know it was horrible. One day like at about 10 am I and my family were arriving at Dallas for the first time in my life. It was also going to be the first time I we...
I remember the day like if it was yesterday. How you gathered everyone in the living room, how you held me while I cried my heart out. How can a daughter just stand there and watch her mother fade away due to breast cancer. I tried yo be strong and act like everything was okay, but in reality it was terrifying. I wasn’t mature enough or independent, but I had to learn how to do things on my own through out four months that you left. The fact that dad tried his hardest to make...
Athletics have never really been my thing. My father loved sports though and signed me up for every sport our town offered. Depending on the season, weekends were spent at soccer matches, basketball tournaments, or softball games. I participated dutifully, even though I found it difficult to get the ball in the basket, in my glove, or even just kick it with my foot as it sped past. As I grew up, my lack of enthusiasm for team sports became apparent, not to mention the ...
Some days it makes me angry. Other days I make jokes at my own expense to relieve the uneasy looks from friends and strangers. In the morning, when I first awaken, I can see it: half of the room, half of the bed, all of the darkness. The car accident happened on a dark, cold night in January. Ice covered the roads in patches called black ice. It is called black ice because it cannot be seen, but can be felt if your car tire hits it. Mine did. I hit another car head...
Evil exists simply because God planned this as part of His marvelous creation. Without evil we wouldn't even be here. Even me. I won't be here right now typing this essay open-minded. That explains how evil has already taken part of our nature. If evil never existed well then we should be living our lives heavenly —without pain, sorrow, grief... But that won't be the reality.We all know there is darkness somewhere. It may only be inherited in 2 ways, inside us or around us....
At the age of 11 I sat before a mirror for two hours repeatedly saying the word “ugly” until I knew I convinced myself I was. Now being a freshman in high school you would think I would forget about such an insignificant act, but I cant. Its quite the opposite in fact. If a persons eyes drift over my childish face for a second too long, I wish to cry. I can not present a project with confidence or meet someone new without my face steadily metamorphosizing into a glowi...
Language... Religions have told it is a gift given to humanity by the gods/God. It is an interesting thing, language is. I imagine at first words were made for concrete things, for animals and plants. Now words have, in my opinion, consumed the minds of mankind and lost us into a labyrinth of our own creation. We have made words for the things we don't have words for: "Ineffable" being a perfect example. We think only in words. Thoughts are threads of language woven together...
It happened near the nonfiction stacks on the library’s second floor. I noticed her dawdling in my direction, casual, peeking through the aisles for an answer she didn’t seem too intent on finding. Her backpack straps stretched her blue blouse firm under the weight of what I imagined were books. I took her for a college student, likely a few years my junior. Our eyes met and she smiled, holding her gaze longer than the token greeting. She was cute. But I didn’t think much of ...
There are days (moments even) where I sit and zone out. The world around me becomes a swirling circus of noise. Chaotic? No, just the blurring of the ongoing life around me. From the swirls, everyone and everything becomes quiet. The bobbing thoughts in my brain take hold and create visions of where I want to be. Where do I want to be? I want to be in the solace of my studio theatre. The quietness of the orange walls in my office. The squeaking of the door alarming o...
I remember when I was young, I did not want to go to kindergarten, but I'm afraid that's my grandmother, she was very strict so I can not tell her because I know that no matter how I said that she would let me go to kindergarten, It can be said there is no reason to stop me go to kindergarten. She was always very strict on me, no matter what I have to do the best that I have a dislike for her psychological, I think she does not like me. That day, more than ever, I do...
"Scar On My Left Feet A Sign That I Could Reach My Dreams" I was browsing this site,and this question caught my attention. Memories flashed back in my mind and I couldn't stop myself to stretch my left leg and stare at the oblong-shaped scar on it. I can't help myself to smile..and thanked God for this scar..it is the reason why I got this people who's with me now..they're not just my business partners..they're my second family. It was July 2013 when I got this sc...
As a 59-year-old divorced woman with three neurotic dogs and one cat with a cleft palate, I find myself in a unique stage of life. I was married for almost 20 years and made a conscious decision not to have children. I have now been divorced for 20 years and I'm very relieved that I have no children other than my precious pets. I have friends who are married or divorced with adult children who keep my friends' lives in a state of almost constant drama, worry and turmoil. If I...
Recently I celebrated a birthday by going to Mexico. It wasn't on a cruise ship or to an exotic location, but it was to a little town called Reynosa across the border. I didn't travel with my girlfriends on a jet in first class, but traveled in rented vans with some Spirit-filled believers; my family in Christ. We didn't stay in a fancy 5-star hotel with pillow top mattresses and a spa-like bathroom, but stayed in a little orphanage called Big Heart - on bunkbeds and with...
“Now I know what it will feel like when I’m terminal,” Mom says.I pretend not to hear her. In our Miami hotel room I’m watching Sue Ellen and J.R. Ewing fight on Dallas.On spring break from college Mom took me on vacation. Without my dad.“Poor Betty Bacall,” my mother continues. “Bogart suffered so much before cancer took his life.”I am sorry I gave her Lauren Bacall’s autobiography to read. At least Lauren was there for Bogey. Mom had ovarian cancer. Three ...
My first scar was a physical scar on my right knee. I was three years old eating icecream in the bath tub in a glass cup. I don't remember how the glass broke but the next thing I knew, my knee was cut open to the bone. As a kid, even now, I've always liked having cuts or scars, physical cuts or scars, but now, I have emotional scars too. Even now I'm still known as the quiet one at school but I've opened up a lot. As a younger kid I was so quiet it was hard to make friends. ...
Whenever you see someone for the first time, you notice their appearance. Whenever you see them often, you notice that they have scars and when you get to know them you feel their scars. Everyone has a story and they have the scars to prove it. Scars are like a book lying on the surface of a human, ready to be summarized and shown off to the world. The scars I have are invisible, They aren't on display, people don't see what my past did to me and this is where my story beg...
"Identity" was a good movie I saw last weekend. I am a very big fan of psychological thrillers and I can say that that movie is a killer one (literally)! I guess it was recommended by a student of mine. I just know that it was my kind of entertainment. The murderer in that film suffers from Dissociative Identity Disorder from where the title was derived.I had never understood well that sort of disorder until I saw "Identity." Even though I am not a psychologist, psychiatris...
English isn't my mother tongue, but that's the language in which I communicate the best. I am a blogger, a teacher, a poet, a translator, an interpreter, a stationery junkie, a married woman, and have four cats. I teach languages, do pilates and therapy, and major in psychology. I speak Portuguese on the daily basis. Brazil is the country where I live and in here people speak this awesome latin language. I also speak German, Spanish, some French, Mandarin, and Japanese. I a...
It’s been nothing else, but fearIs there still some hope?Is there any possibility of changes…My heart, aching and my back, bouncing…Scattered memories hold my fingersA dark cloud with no silver liningPores, scars, dirtWorm, veins, and rotten feelingsI’m a black holeFilled with pusI’m a cancer, a brain tumorNo words to describeWhat and how worse can this get?Focus on dutyLocus is nowhereThat’s a way to get over this.Will I ever be free again?...
“Wake up, your surgery’s over.” Those words seem such a distant memory, but the scar remains. Just an inch strip of puckered, slightly discolored skin near my right elbow. It began with a phone call and a conversation with God.I was packing and preparing to leave for a conference called MegaFest in Atlanta one night. I knew that I would receive a tremendous spiritual word once I got there; it was not my first time to attend. Usually I had to fight through some type...
The scar is small and white and defined, a cursive C at the base of my thumb. The glass had shattered in my hand as I hurriedly washed it. Hurriedly washed, as it was the last chore to complete before catching a ferry home for Christmas. I’m sure the narrow kitchen had an overhead light, but in my memory I’m standing in a murky spotlight over a single sink, the dark faux-wood cabinets and death-yellow counters and appliances refusing to reflect light. Why did 70s décor look l...
My scar is not seen on the outside, my scar lives on the inside of me. I have scars from my brain to my spinal cord as a result of having to battle with Relapsing remitting Multiple Sclerosis for four years. On the outside, I look as normal as a normal person. But on the inside, I look frail, ill, and maybe even old even. But does this disease break my spirits? NO! I am who I am for the scar I hide deep within. I am the one person that you may pass on the street, and think I ...
For many years, I lived a double life… As a psychologist, I worked overtime to become an effective healer of others, yet I never stopped to think about my own healing. I was walking around hurt, bruised, and scared, without the ability to apply salve to my own wounds. Why was I damaged, you may wonder? Well, after facing too many of life’s obstacles, I felt defeated and broken. I faced mounting credit card debt, a divorce, the job of co-parenting a challenging pre-adolescent ...
I was absolutely smitten. The boy I had my eye on for months had finally asked me on a date. He was picturesque - tall, fit, with light dusty hair and golden eyes. Every time he spoke, I became entranced. It wasn’t what he said, he was person of very few words, but it was how he spoke. He spoke out of the side of his mouth; each word was like a wave crashing on shore, rolling into sentences. I was smitten. When the day finally came for our date I was so nervous that I consi...
I'm a very mild mannered kind of girl. I've never pronounced myself as being a thug or anything close to it so when people hear the story behind one of my largest scars they are often taken aback. I still remember the day as if it were yesterday it was a cold December night and the weather forecast had called for snow but as a college students for some reason snow and bad weather prompted my friends and I even more to go hit the road. This particular night our journey led us ...
I have a scar on my knee. Can’t really see it with all my other ones. That scar has a story of its own to tie it away from all the others. This scar was my first one that had to do with stitches. My cousin Steven and I were running around my great grandmothers house and we were going around and around. My great grandmother has a old floor furnish in her house by the living room. As we ran and ran I got the luck of the doubt and tripped and skinned my knee on the metal part of...
Once upon a time, there was a young girl named Bethanny, she was riding her four-wheeler. This young girl did not know how to drive a four-wheeler. Bethanny did not know that she was going to fast, she did not even see a rock on the road, but Bethanny kept on going. Bethanny hit the rock and flew over the handle bars and landed in the gutter with a piece of metal sticking out of her knee, she was unconscious for three hours. She was picked up by a ambulance and life-flighted ...
So ever sense I was little I have always been really big into raccoon hunting. My dad was when he was younger and he just kind of carried it on to us kids. So one night we were hunting with one of dad’s friends Colby and Colby’s son Chance and the dogs had treed so we started walking. We came up on this corn field and it had already been combined and it was just a bunch of little stubs. Well we take off a crossed it. It was no big deal we did it all of the time. Well I fall a...

Advertiser

Coupons for Life - 5% to 50% Off

As an educational writing initiative, StageofLife.com is fortunate to have the support of hundreds of brands who support this writing community and our literacy mission.  Because of that, you can save 5% to 50% off with Stage of Life's free My Life Rewards® program. 

Get discounts at Target.com, Papa John's, Lenovo, AAMCO, and many more...
Discount at Target.com on StageofLife.com Discount on pizza at PapaJohns.com from StageofLife.com Lenovo discount from StageofLife.com AAMCO auto discount from StageofLife.com