Writing Community about Single Living

Singles Blog on StageofLife.com

Share a Story about being "On My Own."  Enter Blogging Contests for Singles...

Stage of Life® is a writing community designed around that unique life stage of living on your own, being single, having roommates, dating and exploring new relationships (even those starting over again after a divorce).  Get involved with our literacy mission to make the world a better place through blogging:  Share a personal essay about a life experience, explore our quotes about being single, save money with our printable in-store coupons and coupon codes, and more.  Whether you're in a serious relationship or living life on your own, we look forward to reading your essays and helping you save money...throughout your single life.  Get started now...

Enter StageofLife.com singles writing contest Twitter Contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for singles on StageofLife.com
Enter the monthly national writing contest for singles: Summer 2014

"YouTube in our Lives"
Don't have time to write today?
Enter our new, "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.
Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com
Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's coupon code from StageofLife.com     Lenovo computer discount for Stage of Life members

Best of our Bloggers

Recent Writing Contests - Winners

Before you scroll down to read the essays, stories, and blogs being submitted to StageofLife.com, let's celebrate the recent writing contest winners.  We select one essay each month from across all of the non-student life stages to win our monthly blogging contest.  Basically...these winning essays are selected from all of you "grown-ups" out there writing on Stage of Life.
Enter Writing ContestsCURRENT 2014 Writing Contests - All Life Stages - ENTER NOW...

Writing contest winnerMarch 2014 Writing Contest Winner

Writing Prompt:  "How has mental illness impacted your life?
Winning Essay: March Madness: Alone by lauren820
National Press Release:  Pending

Writing contest winnerFebruary 2014 Writing Contest Winner

Writing Prompt:  "What is the meaning of the Olympic Spirit?"
Winning Essay: The Olympic Spirit: Go For the Gold by Aprillw
National Press Release:  View Stage of Life press release

Writing contest winnerJanuary 2014 Writing Contest Winner

Writing Prompt:  "What are your hopes & fears for the new year?"
Winning Essay: Dear Peanut: I hope you never know by Melcol92

Writing Contest WinnersPAST CONTEST WINNERS:  Find the list of our writing contest winners on our Writing Contest Winners page.

On My Own Stories

Hi.My name is Gaiyathri.I’m from Malaysia.Actually I like to study in United Kingdom.But I can’t make it now.I think this is a good opportunity for me and this will help me to improve my English.My essay is based on my life story.It is a true story.I give a title for this essay.Will Dreams Come True ?Every human have a dream.It is a common thing in everyone lives.I also got a dream.It’s my ambition too.All the dreams will create by the God.But my dream was created by my Hero...
In recent years, technology’s rapid advance has made daily life more functional and time sensitive tasks easier to complete. We are no longer bogged down by clunky apparatuses. Electronic devices have become manageable sizes we can now use within the palm of our hands. Communication has expanded; we can now reach out to anyone from almost anywhere. Our planet is becoming greener and evolving into an eco-friendly society, saving trees one email at a time. The growing ...
This is a work of fiction. Names, Characters, places and incidents are the product of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events, locales, or persons, living or dead, is coincidental.This is a short story of a woman's journey into maturity, she is writing about in her personal diary. She is learning to accept her imperfections and admire her unique qualities during the forty-something season of her life. This is when she finds a ne...
All my life I’ve been a romantic. I was drawing pictures of my wedding dress and writing in my journal about my future husband in second grade, when my friends were throwing snowballs and chasing each other in our various yards. I would look up, look out of the window, and wave happily to my red-cheeked friends. Then my head would bend down again, my small fingers gripping my yellow No. 2 pencil tightly, and I would draw and write about my future love.Then I grew up. Boyfrie...
There’s an odor coming from the refrigerator. As a single mom, this particular crisis didn’t rank high on my, “must be fixed immediately so we can survive” scale. Still, it was a little disgusting and when the search for rotten produce came up empty, “fix fridge” moved a little higher up on the list. Next, we started to suspect the water and ice cubes tasted a little funky. This became repulsive quickly and the refrigerator situation got upgraded to “mild crisis, I ...
I can't believe it was was only a couple of months ago that I moved to a new apartment. It was a little nerve wracking because it was the first move that I had to do on my own without the help of my big strong dad and my mother making sure every little thing was perfectly packed away in boxes. But, to be completely honest, I wasn't completely alone and I had also done some research. I had friends that I had bribed with beer and pizza to help me move to the new place. Luck...
You live like stuck in labirint, thinking that somewhen you'll get out and all will be okay but it doesn't come. You are thinking about future to escape from the present. Go to sleep when you don't want to, get up when you don't want to, go there you don't want to. Something like this, said Alaska in awesome John Green's book "Looking for Alaska". She was sure that everything is about and something that is important for you today, is going to doesn't matter tomorrow. ...
I will be showing some of my artwork at The Greenpoint Gallery located at 390 McGuiness Blvd near the Polaski Bridge in GreenPoint. You can take the #7 train to Vernon-Jackson or the G train to Green Point Ave. I will be showcasing my work as Maya Rodriguez. Look forward to seeing all of you. More information at their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/events/1417919808490234/ Maya...
Twenty years ago, the word “viral” applied to smallpox, hepatitis, influenza, ebolavirus, HIV and yellow fever. After 2005, however, the First-World definition of “viral” shifted to “Charlie bit my finger”, “Don’t tase me, bro”, “Leave Britney alone” and “David after the Dentist”. In 2005, YouTube was born. While laughter and joy is an important part of every day life, YouTube has replaced critical world issues with clips of pandas sneezing. Like all things, YouTube is ...
In common usage, the term SINGLE is often used to refer to someone who is not involved in any type of serious romantic relationship, including long-term dating, engagement, or marriage.Many people now a days, prefer to become single because some are tired of having any relationship and maybe because of their past relationship that they want to move on first with their own life and be with their own…that’s only SOME of the explanations I thought of being in a single status a...
Retrospect is a weird thing. As a writer, I’ve scrupulously kept journals since I could write. That habit has (unfortunately) since gone wayward in favor of visual blogging on Tumblr—and I’m sure when I’m 50 and scrolling through pages of “feels” and unnecessarily long tags about how hot some actor or actress is, I’ll probably question myself. But in middle and high school, I diligently recorded my thoughts, feelings, and dreams… about wanting desperately to date and fall i...
New blog entry! The First Day of Real Physical TherapyFor those of you that are following along! For those who may be new, please give it a read. It may help! :)http://bb1364.blogspot.comThanks!~ B...
I can honestly say that I am more than ready to leave, and maybe never come back. I just get so irritated at people that I feel as if something is wrong with me; which is certainly a possibility seeing as I've never been tested or anything....but I am lately in a constant state of feeling like a failure and not caring. I'm just so lost and confused, and I have no one to turn to and no idea whatsoever of what to do....
Dear High Point: It’s not you, it’s me.Okay, actually, that’s a lie. It’s you. It’s definitely you. But let me explain.We’ve had a good four years. I’ll never forget the time that my friends and I hung out in front of the school and colored the sidewalks with chalk… and later got called to the principal’s office for the same reason. I’ll never forget the legions of inside jokes with friends, finding my center in Room 215, or staying up half the night to get AP Lang done...
The wind howled through invisible pipes and slapped the north side of the house with a vengence. I hoped it would subside soon. It was sweet Merr and I's 60th anniversary. Yeah, can you believe it!? In this day and age... the odds?My name is Harold Stanton and sweet Merr, she is my loving wife, my better half, the light of my life and even my high school sweetheart. I call her sweet Merr because that is what I have called her since the day I fell in love with her.They say...
life isnt always pixie dust and rainbows. there are times of sarrow and distress. growing up people tell you its fun and your childhood is supose to be the best time of your life. in some casses yes but others its not. i guess it depend on your enviorment. here in baltimore its ok i guess. but its always something. someone got shot, stabbed, got locked up or died. growing up alot of people in my neighborhood was in and out of jail. 2 of my friends are serving life sentances. ...
After many years of scholastic due diligence to reach this day, you now have choices solely at your discretion. Congratulations. Choose wisely. The future is an open highway filled with winding turns and many exits. It is up to you which exits to take or how long you wish to travel the highway. There are no guarantees you’ll reach your planned destination, but where you arrive is where you need to be. Often times, life will lead you somewhere not expected. Immerse yo...
Today's a day of celebrations, not only is it my birthdaybut it's the day I chose to release the Don't Be a Loser music video, (an anti-racism and anti-bullying initiative)featuring The Wong Side Of Life puppets. Directed by Pearl Tanand written and produced by myself. I also co-wrote the song- Loser produced / co-written by Paul Wiltshire (Producer ofThe Back Street Bays, Human Nature etc). As a five year old I remember quite vividly my first weekat school....
When you are out on your own for the first time it can seem overwhelming to do almost everything. From taking care of your own needs to forming adult relationships with your family members you can feel lost. However as a grownup now you need to take charge of your life and learn what it means to be the adult! An easy example to illustrate the difficulties and obstacles you might face is Mother’s Day. As a little kid your parents probably told you to make a card or a handmade ...
I have never been in love in a relationship; therefore, I don’t know exactly what it’s like. I've heard from many people that being in love is one of the greatest feelings in the world, but also one of the worst. It can build you up as a person in so many ways, but it can also destroy you. I’ve never been the type to develop strong feelings for someone so I can’t really relate to those who have.I think high school relationships are positive for teens because it teaches them ...
All my classmate tease me when i arrived at home and i cry in my room my mom knock and my mom asking are you ok? and i say yes and i didnot tell them i was bullied i didn't talk to my mom ever past year ago it's March 18, 2014 i wait the day that i want to go home i tell the truth i don't know what is bully. I ask my friend what is bully and my friend said tease you eveyday and she said why? oh nothing i didn't tell my mom i was bullied i will tell my mom if i'am in high scho...
I have 2 options. 1 Go to one of the biggest concerts in this country and be kicked out. Or not go, waste 120 for the ticket that I already bought, and get kicked out a couple of weeks later because of something else that I supposedly did wrong.I am 18 Years old and my parents refuse to recognize the fact. I practically live under a rock. Every time I want to go out and do anything they give me some excuse ( mainly telling me that whatever I want to do is going to in some ...
Teenage love is the first understanding of strong emotional feelings a person has for another. Its still in its original wrapping and true to its purest form of promoting unconditionality towards another. Teen love may not last but it shows a person that love is possible....
She walked over to him to take his order.. He gave his order, the usual “hamburger, fries and an iced tea,” She walked away wishing that one day he would want her. The net day he walked in, sat at the bar. And just watched her.. Didn't order, didn't say a thing.... just watched. He waited till everyone left and said.. You're beautiful, kissed her and walked out.. She never saw him again......
I live with someone who has a mental illness. My grandma has mild cognitive impairment. What that is that she has early systems of Allz timers. She has her good days and her bad days. She cant remember things we tell her in the beginning of the week. My grandmas heath has gone down tremendously since her diagnoses. It just goes to show how mental illness can effect someone. Mental illness is no matter to joke about. My grandma before her mental illness was a different person ...
Hi I'm Aly and I'm 19, I have schizophrenia,depression,bipolar, and borderline personality disorder. Yes I have all that. This is my story. I was in and out of hospitals since I was 14. I was hospitalized 10 times. I have really bad episodes where I cut myself scream and break things. I don't mean to but I do. I have been on every medication imaginable. I currently take 12 pills a day. No one knows how to help me. I am so tired of being a statistic. I am always scared and co...
These past weeks have felt like a whirlwind of events, images, and faces. For the first time in my life I was in the hospital overnight, and also for the first time: I landed in a mental institution. Not long ago I was serving as an LDS Missionary in South Korea. Not long ago I was engaged in fulfilling work, inviting people to learn about the Gospel of Jesus Christ, teaching free English, and learning the language. Now I'm here: back in America, and I wonder sometimes h...
From the comfy chair in the Psychiatrist's office, I am often asked the common question, "How do you feel?". Ah, the proverbial question that prompts me to mentally scan my body for any and every physical symptom that could possibly pop into mind. That is until my mind reminds me that I am mentally ill and that technically I suppose I should be describing an emotion that matches the current thoughts in my head. Being so accustomed to denial and disassociation, I rea...
Silence fills my world. The teacher is speaking but I can't seem to make out a word. Palms sweating, hands shaking, my teeth clench together. Mouth as dry as the Sahara while I gasp for air but there is no rain in sight. A thousand thought racing through my mind but the world seems to be in slow motion. Feels like a dream when in actuality, it's reality. The pressure is unbearable, the pressure to be "perfect" to be "smart" to be "successful." Feels like my walls are falling ...
I went through a phase in my life where I felt like what I had to say didn't matter. I lived in a hometown where people treated me like I was an alien for saying hello to them. When I talked to my family they acted like what I said didn't matter at all. Sometimes you have to leave your family, friends and negative people who bring you down to feel like you're important. You shouldn't think you are so important that you think or act like you are better than everyone. I wo...

Advertiser

Coupons for Life - 5% to 50% Off

As an educational writing initiative, StageofLife.com is fortunate to have the support of hundreds of brands who support this writing community and our literacy mission.  Because of that, you can save 5% to 50% off with Stage of Life's free My Life Rewards® program. 

Get discounts at Target.com, Papa John's, Lenovo, AAMCO, and many more...
Discount at Target.com on StageofLife.com Discount on pizza at PapaJohns.com from StageofLife.com Lenovo discount from StageofLife.com AAMCO auto discount from StageofLife.com