Writing Community about Single Living

Singles Blog on StageofLife.com

Share a Story about being "On My Own."  Enter Blogging Contests for Singles...

Stage of Life® is a writing community designed around that unique life stage of living on your own, being single, having roommates, dating and exploring new relationships (even those starting over again after a divorce).  Get involved with our literacy mission to make the world a better place through blogging:  Share a personal essay about a life experience, explore our quotes about being single, save money with our printable in-store coupons and coupon codes, and more.  Whether you're in a serious relationship or living life on your own, we look forward to reading your essays and helping you save money...throughout your single life.  Get started now...

Enter StageofLife.com singles writing contest Twitter Contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for singles on StageofLife.com
Enter the monthly national writing contest for singles: March 2015

"What's your weather story?"
Don't have time to write today?
Enter our new, "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.
Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com
Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's coupon code from StageofLife.com     Lenovo computer discount for Stage of Life members

Best of our Bloggers

Recent Writing Contest Winners

Winning Essay WritersWinning Writing Contest EssaysBefore you scroll down to read the essays, stories, and blogs being submitted to StageofLife.com, let's celebrate the recent writing contest winners.  We select one essay each month from across all of the non-student life stages to win our monthly blogging contests

Basically...these winning essays are selected from all of you "grown-ups" out there writing on Stage of Life...

Past Writing Contest Winners

On My Own Stories

The eye of the storm is predicted to strike here, in Tampa, after passing through Cuba. It’s August, 2004, and for a year Hurricane Charley will be known as the strongest hurricane since Andrew pounded Florida in 1992. It will last for 6 days, cause 20 fatalities, and $16.3 billion in damages. I load my cat Sandy and belongings inside my 2 door Mustang, fill up with gas, and head north. It is only twilight and already the sky is devastatingly dark, the highway gridloc...
I'm Sha. It'd be nice to know who reads this stuff. I'm kind of curious about everything. Well I'm just a girl who loves to write thoughts down. Fleeting, random thoughts. People used to like my stuff in HS. Lol , how corny do I sound? Like the washed up 40 year old jock who now has a beer belly. I've never really got my full shine on though... Just kinda glistened a little bit.. I wanna shine. ...
You may have wondered what goes in to determining the insurance cost for a given car. The cost of the car is a given, but there are other factors that are considered as well. For instance, the more powerful the engine, the more likely drivers are to drive a little on the wild side, thus driving up the cost to insure it. Some cars are more likely to be stolen than others which also adds to the cost of insuring it. What follows is a list of the ten least expensive cars to insur...
Recently I have realized that a person who once said that everything is a good in moderation was definitely onto something. Some people say: “Think positively, because happy thoughts can make everything better.” No matter how awful the things get despite the hardest efforts to think positively, a classical optimist will continue saying that “the glass is always half-full”, “every cloud has a silver lining”, and no matter what “there is a light at the end of a tunnel”. ...
I'm sure there are problems in everyone's life,people are facing worst part of their life but it is better to remember that morning comes after night i would like to share with you a story. Once upon there was girl whose name was nisha she was the daughter of a very famous doctor and a housewife,she had two older brothers she was childish like others she was just perfect,everyone loved her alot but one day she was playing outside and suddenly someone rapped her(i can't tell t...
He was supposed to have been in the prime of his golden years. A man who lived 76 years of his life by the rules of simplicity and the strictures of caring for one's own health…that man was not supposed to be afflicted by the tragedy about to unfold. Yet, such is reality…that we are all one day plucked out of existence in spite of all virtues we have to offer. Hailing from the south Indian State of Kerala I am supposed to be one among its 30 million inhabitants who relish...
If your allergic to Birds you should not be reading this. I have a bird her name is sweeteie I got her from a bird shelter. She had a broken wing, foot, and a broken beak. It took years for her to adapet to her life style. I had to skip second grade to take care of her I;m in fith grade now. I had to do that because if you want have a bird you have to give he or she lots of attention. Because if you do not give your bird lots of attention he or she will be really depressed...
I have a deep loathing for winter bicyclists.I understand that you are trying to be "green" and not use fossil fuels. In fact, in the summer all you bipedalers make me feel a little guilty for driving around in my 15-20 mpg truck. But in the winter? That's a whole other kettle of fish. First, you must be crazy to be thinking of trying to ride a bicycle on snow-packed, icy roads. It looks plain dangerous. I don't care how beefy your tires are or how many zip ties you put o...
Dont you ever do something bad and then later on you regret it. Well I do today I told my brother he was an idoit he can not defend him self becuase he is only three. Also once my friend Jocelyn said I was ugly,stupid, and dumb....
If there’s one thing a woman doesn’t want to do is feel a foreign object where there was never one before. It’s creepy, somehow. It’s like, hey, you weren’t there last week, and now you are? But, nevertheless, this foreign object was on the outer aspect of my left breast. The dreaded lump. It’s amazing how one little word, and a funny sounding one at that, can inspire such dread and foreboding. A lump. I have a lump. It could mean anything! You bump your head, you get a lump....
Weather here in PA sucks. Its very unpreditiable. Meteorologist may make a predition, but the preditions can be so far off. They could say it's going to be a nice, sunny day with the temperture at 85, but it actually turns out to be a thunderstorm. ...
I knew Fargo, North Dakota would be a stark difference from San Jose, California and I questioned why I even applied in the Midwest for my psychology residency. The first thing I noticed upon stepping off the plane was how I immediately coughed. The cold January wind knocked the life out of me. I rushed to the hotel where my classmate was waiting for me. We had a weekend until our interviews on Monday and decided to explore the city beginning with downtown. It was not snowing...
Chapter one I grabbed my phone and looked at the time, 6:30!! I was runnning late, the bus was going to be here any minute! I threw on some random clothes that were laying on my dresser. I ran down stairs as fast as i could with my hairbrush in my hand and my phone in the other. I grabbed the key off the door step when i walked out, perfect timing i thou...
[size=6]omg!!she is so pretty ....!! is a common lie said by every girl.WE are so selfish! aren't we?.we cant hear good about anyone but can speak bad about anyone at our level best.no matter how much we decline this fact but the truth is that we judge people on the basis of their appearance.We hate people with bad looks and make them feel inferior.none of us is bad at looks that's why Elmo is red and cookie monster is blue and still cute.we all are god gifted and special in ...
“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent,” Eleanor Roosevelt. Have you ever thinked about the situations around the world today, the way you act, the way you talk or how you treat someone? How you can really impact people’s life in a positive or negative way. Words have power. There are words that can either bring life, or beat your heart down, making you feel less than human. In this quote, it describes very specifically, that no one can make you feel ...
Eleanor Roosevelt said, “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” In a sense, that is true. But in a truer sense, it’s not nearly that simple. It is not simply giving someone “consent” to have power over how we feel about ourselves. So let’s look a little deeper. Let’s talk about the power of words.Read a good story, even a fictional one, and the simple words on the page can make you laugh, cry, mourn, rejoice, and experience emotions as real as if the sit...
I graduated college with a BA in English at the age of eighteen. As I have transitioned into the workforce, I have faced criticism from well-meaning coworkers who inadvertly put me down. As a teacher at a private tutorial, I work with some amazing people. However, during planning meetings, any input I provide is met with apprehension from my coworkers. Nearly every time I suggest something, somebody comments that since I am so young, I don't have the experience necessary to r...
She was my mathematics teacher. At that time, we were in training course before taking an important exam to take a next step to high schools. In this country, this exam represents a significant landmark in each student’s life. Apparently, everyone in my class was supposed to write down and learn by heart everything from her lessons and they were just basic mathematics that I’d learnt before. So basically, I never paid attention to her, just doing my own practises. That is why...
Author: Lilybeth Maiers2-18-15This was an assignment for school were we write a 7 page short story with three different perspectives. I wanted to write this on 'my wall' here to display my writing skills. This is my first official short story and may need more proof reading, but I plan to improve. Enjoy.KASEYMy thoughts are interrupted by a tap on the shoulder "Oh I'm sorry" I say nonchalantly "Oh you know me always getting distracted. So what were you were saying?" Ja...
In my opinion, I associate power with knowledge and I believe the more you know, the more powerful you are. This can be related to work and having authority over a coworker due to your knowledge in the work field, for example. Inferiority can be felt when a greater power is held over you who holds more knowledge and/ or wisdom in a specific area.Roosevelt is right when she says “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent” because there is always room for change....
There are two ways of your renting apartment experience. It can be very easy, exciting and really pleasant or just a living hell. Both ways depend on your landlord. It is important to find good and honest one. The main problem of rental fails is bad landlords. If You Want to Pay Less, AskThere is no need for negotiable rent, but it is possible for many land lords to compromise on price. Lowering the official rent price is very difficult task. But, it is possible ...
“Could we please have our check?” It’s funny because I have been in some terribly powerless situations, but waiting tables always comes out on top. Both customers and waiters have thousands of horror stories to share, I’m sure. However, when the word powerlessness comes to my mind, this memory always comes up. I worked at a crappy (there is no better adjective) restaurant for several years. I never knew who would show up to work, so I’d often stay...
We only have one earth. There is renewable resources that we can use to replace fossil fuels that harm our ozone. For example the plant named hemp. It has a long history of being used in clothing and textile industry, and has been a reliable replacement/substitute for wood. By using hemp in place of chopping trees down, we can save billions of trees and millions of acres of trees for the faction of the cost and four times the harvest amount. Hemp unfortunately is illegal in m...
Are you a huge traveling aficionado with the guts to see the most unusual world’s sights? SouchSurfing suits those who wish to host travelers and teach them about their place, as well as those who want to travel around the world. Lots of tourists choose big comfortable hotels. Some stay tiny inns and hostels. But the heart of a true wonderer belongs to the beauty of the local home stay. Overall, the ball park number of those who have used the CouchSuring (or CS) service at ...
Just over a year ago, I was sitting inside a cramped room in a foreign place.Alone.Literally, alone. It wasn't the usual my-parents-aren't-home-so-I-can-do-whatever-I-want alone. This time I really COULD do whatever I wanted, and that was what scared me the most.I bet most of you can relate to the joy and excitement as well as the fears associated with living on your own for the first time. It meant independence. It meant freedom from curfews, and all those other things ...
Unsung Hero: My Heroes. I have so many heroes. I don’t think I could just give it to one person. I have so many that have done so much for me. Like my parents they have raised me to the young lady I am today. I have learned so much from them. How to be the young lady I am today. They have been a shoulder for me to lean on. They have supported me through the decisions that I have made in my life. Maybe some of them haven’t been the greatest. But I have to learn some way or an...
My unsung hero is probably my mom. She has always been there for me no matter what. We have not always got along but we have started getting along. She has struggled in her life time she was addicted to drugs for a long eight years. I had to stay with my grandparents while she figured out what to do. She finally got clean. She got baptized here recently and it was like a weight has been lifted off her shoulder and you could see it in her face. She is super supportive she ha...
When i was homeless on the streets it very hard .But made through it in many ways.Such as there were churches and so where get clothes and food.We had choice be in shelter or not but i chose the camping in tent wanted my own freedom until could find housing.I prey everyday that made through cold nights and i did. We had buddy heaters that helped plus campfire worked .I did this twice in my life.But i sold both street papers help me surrive the days.This short version what it ...
To me an unsung hero is someone in your life that personally effects you as a hero, and is not recognized among everyone. My unsung hero would be my Mom. She is a hero to me because she is always there for me, she always does everything she can to make my life better, and she provides for all of my needs. I am very grateful to have the Mom I have. I believe she is unsung because not everyone gets to witness all of the great things she does.I believe that everyone is some kin...
As opposed to who, I reassess notions on the what. In my mind, I am a human. A human girl with all the characters of a feeling and emotion filled female.I am an individual. I stand my own ground in society and I don't hold any nonsensical notions about my purpose. I am an independent being who can support myself if needed and will, on no account, rely on anyone other than myself. I've seen how well that worked out for me!I am weak. I claim to have the strength of a steel w...

Advertiser

Coupons for Life - 5% to 50% Off

As an educational writing initiative, StageofLife.com is fortunate to have the support of hundreds of brands who support this writing community and our literacy mission.  Because of that, you can save 5% to 50% off with Stage of Life's free My Life Rewards® program. 

Get discounts at Applebee's, Papa John's, Lenovo, AAMCO, and many more...

Applebee's gift card discountDiscount on pizza at PapaJohns.com from StageofLife.com Lenovo discount from StageofLife.com AAMCO auto discount from StageofLife.com