What's Your Story?

Writing Contest for Home Owners

Rules, prizes and online submission button below...

Blogging contest for homeownersDo you own a home?  If you do, you'll want to take a look at our free, national, monthly writing contest for homeowners.  We want to hear your remodeling, repairing, and home adventures as it relates to the monthly Stage of Life writing prompt.  This is a non-fiction, memoir, blogging, essay-style writing contest for any homeowner.  We want your authentic voice in your submission from a home owners perspective.

How to Enter?

1. Read rules below
  2. Read writing contest prompt below
  3. Submit your homeowner essay online to StageofLife.com (as instructed below) via the BLUE "Submit Essay" button

Writing Contest Prizes

One winning essay from across the non-student life stages on StageofLife.com will be selected to receive...
  • Spa & Wellness gift cards by SpaWeek$50 gift card from SpaWeek.com.  Spa & Wellness Cards are good at over 8,000 spas in North America.  They are redeemable year-round and never expire.  SpaWeek.com is excited to sponsor the StageofLife.com monthly writing contest! FYI - Every StageofLife.com writer, blogger, or reader gets 15% off Spa & Wellness gift cards from SpaWeek through 2014.
  • Writing Sponsor on StageofLife.com - Applebee's$25 gift card from Applebee's.  Applebee’s is focused on serving good food to good people. Today, what was once a popular neighborhood restaurant has grown to become a popular restaurant in neighborhoods all across North America – with almost 2,000 locations and counting.
  • Stage of Life pen
  • Signed letter of Congratulations from StageofLife.com
  • Acknowledgment as a StageofLife.com national blogging contest winner.  Essay winners are posted each month here - Writing Contest Winners

Rules for the Homeowner Writing Contest

• Blogging contest about owning a home

Essay must relate to both your life stage (home ownership) and the essay theme (see below).
  • Essay must be your original work.
  • Essay can be no longer than 500 words.
  • Essay must be non-fiction and follow the form of a diary, journal, blog, memoir, or essay.  That is to say...we want real stories about real life...from you.
  • Once entered, essay will become a part of Stage of Life's public facing content so no foul language or inappropriate material.  Those entries will be removed.
  • Registration to Stage of Life is required to enter the writing contest (it's free) which will allow us to post your story to the public.

Enter the Homeowner Story Writing Contest Now

Please read below for details on the monthly writing contest and click the blue "Enter Contest" button to submit your essay.  Good luck!

Enter Writing Contest Here for Homeowners...

September Writing Contest
Writing ContestsMONTHLY WRITING CONTESTS:  StageofLife.com hosts monthly international writing contests for people of all ages.  Answer the real-world writing prompt below to share your thoughts and experiences as we change the world, one story at a time.  View winners of past writing contests.

Writing Contest:  Freedom of Speech

RULES...
SUBMIT ESSAY...

Submit Essay:
For the September 2015 writing contest, we want you to write a personal essay (500 words or less) about Freedom of Speech.

Background:
"Freedom of expression is the matrix, the indispensable condition, of nearly every other form of freedom."

—U.S. Supreme Court Justice Benjamin N. Cardozo in Palko v. Connecticut

For many Americans, Freedom of Speech (which is our First Amendment right), is used everyday...and in some cases maybe even taken for granted.  People are free to post hourly updates on Twitter, to provide commentary about issues brought up on Facebook, and for the most part speak freely throughout the day about the topics they deem important.  

For our September 2015 writing contest, we want you to think deeply about the Freedom of Speech. You can interpret the topic how you wish.  

You may want to take a historical point of view and explain the importance of Freedom of Speech, or you want to take a more personal point of view of how it pertains to your life, or perhaps you would like to explain freedom of speech in relation to the internet, or maybe you want to speak freely about a topic that is important to you that you think others should be aware of, or possibly you want to talk about the lack of Freedom of Speech in other countries around the world.  

Whatever your take is on this important topic, make sure your essay is appropriate for our website. 
--No profanity. 
--No pornographic language. 
--No defamation or libel permitted. 
--Essays containing this material will be removed immediately.

We want to hear how Freedom of Speech resonates with you, so gather up your thoughts and write a creative, personal essay (500 words or less) that explores how the topic Freedom of Speech.
Click the blue "Submit Essay" button to the right to upload your story and enter the writing contest.

Title of Essay: 
When you submit your essay, title it as:  "Freedom of Speech: ______"

Include the phrase "Freedom of Speech" as the beginning of your essay title, but then make the rest of your story title unique.   Examples:
  • Freedom of Speech: Surviving in a Landscape of Political Correctness
  • Freedom of Speech: Standing Up and Saying What Needs to be Said
Rules: 
Three simple rules for the Stage of Life writing contest. 

1) This is a Non-Fiction essay contest. 
2)  Essays must be 500 words or less.
3)  Essays must be your original work.

Deadline: 
Midnight Sept. 30, 2015 Pacific Time US

Results: 
The winning essayist will be posted on our writing contest winners page after Oct. 26, 2015.

NOTE:  Winners will be contacted via a post on their uploaded StageofLife.com story once judging is complete (approx. 30 days after contest ending).   An email will be sent to the winner(s) to get the address for the prize package approx. 1-2 months afterwards.
Freedom of Speech Essay Contest

Enter Essay

Submit essay to StageofLife.com writing contest

(click to submit your essay) 
Please title your essay per instructions to the right

Writing Contest Resources

Articles and Videos about Freedom of Speech:

1) Article: 
Article about Freedom of Speech
The American Civil Liberties Union’s take on the importance of Freedom of Speech

2) Article: 
Freedom of Speech vs. Freedom of Expression
This helpful article from the Encyclopedia Britannica explains the first amendment rights including the freedom of speech and freedom of expression

3) Article: 
Freedom of Speech in Schools
An article that asks whether or not students truly have free speech in schools 50 years after the legendary Tinker v. Des Moines case.

4) Video 

Marvin Ammori explains net neutrality and how it pertains to Freedom of Speech in the 21st century

5)  Video 

A YouTube video by FIRE which asks the question: Does Free Speech Offend You? and takes a hard look at how college campuses are skewing the First Amendment.

Writing Contest Prize Sponsors

Writing contest sponsor  Writing Contest Prize Sponsor

Don't forget that StageofLife.com users get
 discounts on gift cards from
Spa & Wellness and Applebee's
Writing Contest Prize Package
  • The person who writes the 1st place essay across the non-student life stages on StageofLife.com this month will receive gift cards compliments of our education sponsors, Spa & Wellness Gift Cards by SpaWeek and Applebee's.
  • Bragging rights
Please thank our sponsors this month Spa & Wellness Gift Cards by SpaWeek.com, and Applebee's for supporting the writing and literacy efforts on StageofLife.com

Enter our Twitter Contest
    ATTENTION TEACHERS:
    Language Arts Teacher Resources
    Contact StageofLife.com for National Writing ContestContact Us about this Writing Contest 

EXTRA INFORMATION AND RULES FOR THE WRITING CONTEST...

Writing Contest Rules on StageofLife.comBe Real.  Be Yourself
    The strongest submissions for this essay contest will use a personal tone and point-of-view writing style that shares your thoughts on the topic.  If you want to make your essay even stronger, we recommend doing a little research and adding quotes or a statistic (or two). 

Quick Rules:
    • Essays should be 500 words or less.
    • You are welcome to blog on StageofLife.com as much as you want, but only ONE essay submission per user for the writing contest is allowed.
    • Please be creative with your title, then type or cut and paste your full essay from a program like NotePad or TextEdit (don't use any formatting - just text, please) into the Story Details field (which will appear after you click the Submit Essay button above. 
    • Adjust the spacing of your essay within the essay submit form.
    • Title your essay using the instructions above so our Editors can find it in the story feeds in your life stage homepage on the website.  Example:  Here's where the high school student submissions get posted - High School
    • StageofLife.com is a non-partisan literacy initiative.  We judge the writing contest submissions not on the political or religious stance of our writers, but rather on how creative, original, passionate, and well written the essays are.  See below for more details on our judging policy.
    • Read these tips for good essay writing to be considered a writing contest finalist
    • You will need to login to StageofLife.com to submit your writing contest entry.  If you don't have a StageofLife.com login, please register for StageofLife.com (it's free).

StageofLife.com Prize Packages for Winning EssayPrize Package:  The winning writer will receive...

• A highlight as the Winning Essay on StageofLife.com
    • Prize from the writing contest sponsor mentioned above.
    • A mention and link to your essay in Stage of Life's national monthly press release - here's a link to one of our press releases for reference.
    • NOTE:  Winners will be contacted via a post on their story once judging is complete (approx. 30 days after contest ending).   An email will be sent to the winner to get the address for the prize package approx. 2-3 months afterwards.

International Writing Contests on StageofLife.comFree Essay Contest:

This is a free writing contest.  StageofLife.com does not require a submission fee. ONE  ESSAY ENTRY PER PERSON FOR THE WRITING CONTEST.  However, you are welcome to blog about your life or other topics outside of this writing contest at any time on StageofLife.com

Contest Deadline:  

Last day of the month at midnight Pacific Standard Time (US).   StageofLife.com time stamps all essays in Greenwich Mean Time (England) as we are an international writing initiative.  International submissions are welcome.

Winning writing contest essays on StageofLIfe.comWinning Essays: 

Of the submitted essays to StageofLife.com for a given writing contest prompt, one student winner and one adult winner will be selected.  The winner and semi-finalists will be announced after the 20th of the following month.  Winner and semi-finalists will be contacted by a StageofLife.com staffer via the email used to register for the website.

As we state in our Writing Contest Rules and Judging Criteria, student writers selected as our national essay finalists and winner(s) will demonstrate strong writing skills, a unique point-of-view, personal tone, originality, and realness in their essay. 

"Realness?"  Yes...realness. 

Blogging contests on StageofLife.comThe reason that journalists and organizations ranging from TIME.com to Mint Education have featured our essays (especially our teen posts) in the national media is because our bloggers all write from the heart.  Real people sharing real stories about their lives.  Combine this with our position as one of the only international, non-partisan, literacy platforms in the world and you'll find Stage of Life an open environment to share your ideas. 

Post Comments: 

We'd like to encourage all participants and readers to make comments on these writing contest essays.  Please just remember to keep all comments/posts/discussions civil and in good taste in each of the essay-blog threads, especially since some of our writing prompts are sensitive in nature.  Nasty comments, personal attacks, or other such comments are not allowed and will be removed should they come to our attention.

Judging:

If you have questions about the rules or judging criteria for our writing contests, you can visit our Rules & Judging Criteria page.

College student writing contest on Stage of LifeLast Words - Share Your Story: 

Our hope is that your writing contest submission will positively impact others and help with our mission of making the world a better place, one story at a time.  Your essay may inspire others or even better, give you an opportunity to share a story that's simply important to you.

After you've submitted your essay, feel free to share the link to your essay on Facebook or Twitter.  Our essays are judged by real Editors, not popularity, but we do like to spread the word about our national, grassroots writing contest.   Also, please share this writing contest with Language Arts, English and History teachers, or on your blog or website. 

If you know a teacher who would like a Stage of Life writing contest poster for his or her classroom, have them contact us.

About:

Read more about StageofLife.com and our mission

Good luck!  Scroll back up and click on the "Submit Essay" button to upload your essay.

Next