Writing Community for Homeowners

Homeowners blog on StageofLife.com

Share your Home Story.  Enter our Blogging Contests.  Save Money...

Stage of Life® is a free blogging community for homeowners.  Get involved with our educational mission:  Share your experiences about home ownership, remodeling advice, DIY projects, gardening tips or memories and personal stories about the homes you've lived in throughout your life.  Or...take some time to explore our home ownership resources, such as homeowner etiquette, quotes about home ownership, statistics about home ownership, videos for homeowners, or save money with coupons for homeowners.  Whether you're renting, buying, remodeling or simply living in your home, we look forward to reading your essays about and helping you save money on home ownership.  Get started now...

Enter StageofLife.com homeowner writing contest Twitter Contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for homeowners on StageofLife.com
Enter the monthly national writing contest for homeowners...

"First Love Writing Contest"
Don't have time to blog today?
Enter our new, "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.
Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com
Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's coupon code from StageofLife.com     Lenovo computer discount for Stage of Life members

Best of our Bloggers

Recent Writing Contests - Winners

Before you scroll down to read the essays, stories, and blogs being submitted to StageofLife.com, let's celebrate the recent writing contest winners.  We select one essay each month from across all of the non-student life stages to win our monthly blogging contest.  Basically...these winning essays are selected from all of you "grown-ups" out there writing on Stage of Life.
Enter Writing ContestsCURRENT 2014 Writing Contests - All Life Stages - ENTER NOW...

Writing contest winnerFebruary 2014 Writing Contest Winner

Writing Prompt:  "What is the meaning of the Olympic Spirit?
Winning Essay: The Olympic Spirit: Go For the Gold by Aprillw
National Press Release:  Pending

Writing contest winnerJanuary 2014 Writing Contest Winner

Writing Prompt:  "What are your hopes & fears for the new year?"
Winning Essay: Dear Peanut: I hope you never know by Melcol92
National Press Release:  View Stage of Life press release

Writing Contest WinnersPAST CONTEST WINNERS:  Find the list of our writing contest winners on our Writing Contest Winners page.

Homeowner Stories

The tricks for maximizing your lithium-ion battery’s useful lifespan—that is, the number of times you can recharge it before it no longer accepts a charge—are pretty basic. Three things will prematurely age a lithium-ion battery: consistently draining it to the automatic shutdown point, exposing it to heat, and overcharging/overvoltage-charging. That last practice is actually dangerous and can lead to fire or even an explosion.The most obvious battery-draining component t...
March Madness: David and Goliath A rapid knock on the door. An unexpected phone call. A siren heard in the distance. A tragedy on the news. These things have all caused a sense of panic in various ways over the years. Madness and mental illness are such horrific twins; companions conjoined in the dark. Yet, I wonder will it always be so? Mental illness is no laughing matter to those who have witnessed the cycles of a bipolar...
How do I start..we moved into a rental in 2011 nice view of the lake, the homes are a little closer together than we wanted or are used to, we have an elderly couple next door the husband in his late 60's wife early 80's she is getting dementia and wanders, we are always friendly and help them when they ask here and there and we even borrow a tool at times from them, we are a very busy family with work, sports, and projects, they always seem to come over to talk just as I pul...
The Olympic Spirit: Go for the Gold "How many can I miss and pass?” screamed a rambunctious fourth-grader as the class hunkered down to take a four hour writing assessment early one Monday morning. Those words, unbeknownst to the nine-year old, were like an arrow that pierced my heart; words no teacher desires to hear. In that moment, the spirit of an Olympian rose up in me as I stopped the test and gave the class what I like to call “a little pep talk” o...
You want the interior of your home to reflect your taste, your style, your personality — but you may not be able to find the right furnishings at a major department store. With a little bit of effort, though, you can hand-craft items that will make your home uniquely you.Following are some items you can make that will help you personalize your space.CurtainsAn easy way to add personality to your living space is to make your own curtains. Head to your local ...
How are you at making decisions? I’m big on intuition (ask Myers or her mother, Briggs); but I’m kind of wishy-washy if I don’t have a mountain of information and the results of surveying at least half the people on the East Coast. Retired, I’m having a terrible time deciding what to do first. Life was so much easier before I retired. Go to work early, come home late, do what I could in the evening and on weekends, feel content. Now, by the end of the day, it’s what I cou...
I have something to admit. I am addicted to watching HGTV shows like House Hunters, My First Place, Property Brothers, and Love It or List It. I’m a junkie, and I could spend hours watching people decide their house futures. I love to see renovations in an hour. I love to see people weigh pros and cons of a potential home. I often find myself yelling at the television, “Go for the cute bungalow on the tree lined street” or “How could you choose that boring, beige, coo...
When you buy a house you always have a fear behind you. At least I did. When I was young, only 20, I ended up buying my first house. It was not the most pleasant of experiences. Not only did I have no idea what to look for in buying a home I was also in a time crunch. I was trying to find a home for my family in a desperate situation and we needed to move as soon as possible. Why didn’t we just rent? Well, for one the price to rent at the time was far more than to buy a house...
My boyfriends brother and his wife come to visit us a few weeks ago. We live in a resort area, so they wanted to stay at our house, so my boyfriend told them yes. Well the first day was fine, until the next day I went to work, a few hours later my boyfriend called and said his brother fell over the dog fence and he was taking him to the hospital. I asked my boyfriend how did he do that, he replied that he told his brother to open the gate and not to step over it several of ti...
Does your backyard patio need some attention? There’s a lot you can do to make your outdoor space feel more inviting and livable — and many upgrades are relatively inexpensive.Following are some ways you can make your patio a place you want to be.Use colorIf you have a gray or brown patio and wood furniture with neutral cushions, the overall look can be a little uninspiring. One quick and affordable way to make your space stand out is to add pops of color....
The right tools can make any project easier, but how do you know which tools are the right ones? Staple guns are a fantastic way to make fast work of everything from craft projects to home improvement tasks, but first you have to know which staple gun is the best one for the job. Following are a few details on the different types of staple guns and their various uses.Manual staple gunsManual staple guns are just what they sound like: They’re powered by hand, ra...
Whenever I think of people moving two things always pop into my head. 1) Based on the location of the house (city, spread-out town, farmland, middle-of-nowhere, etc.) how do the children in the area go about their trick-or-treating on Halloween? 2) Is a piece of advice I heard from the movie Under the Tuscan Sun which basically says that with all the chaos involved in moving from one home to another it is important to create one room that is all your own where you can go when...
Today’s financial climate being what it is, many home owners are forced into distress selling or constrained to accept a price that is not commensurate with the real value of their property. In many ways, today is a buyer’s market. But it doesn’t have to be so. Here are some tips that will help you get the best possible price for your property:Understand what your property is really worthYou may have a number in mind – but is that number realistic? What you hav...
Many of us enjoy a little gambling now and then. It may be because the easy extra money we can make from it or because of the rush we get from taking that risk. Whatever the reason, as long as it does not become a serious addiction, we all enjoy it. And with the entry of the internet in every sphere of our lives, the gambling zone has not gone untouched. There are a number of sites which provide the online gambling on various games and events, e.g. horse racing, college footb...
Unfinished wood furniture is, as the name suggests, unfinished. Typically the furniture would be made from solid wood such as pine, maple, teak, oak, beech and so on, but it would be unfinished in terms of its stain, polish, varnish, paint or glaze. This would then be completed by the purchaser to get the look and effect desired.Is unfinished furniture the right choice for you?If you are the do it yourself type of person, unfinished furniture is ...
London is huge, with one of the largest and densest populations in the Western World. Traffic jams are commonplace, the London Underground is often more crowded than it probably should be allowed to be, and just walking down some streets (*cough*Oxford Street*cough*) can prove a mission in itself. Jobs are hard to come by, yet still demand never fails to outstrip supply, and Londoners always have to deal with waiting – whether it's waiting for a coffee in the morning or waiti...
One year ago, I posted an editor’s welcome on this life stage, suggesting that emergencies would be an outstanding topic for homeowners or others to write about for Stage of Life. You didn’t see it, did you? You may be new to the website, maybe you weren’t a homeowner, you might have been on vacation; maybe you had an emergency. Since it’s such an important subject and a rich idea-popper for writers, I’m going to repeat and expand on what I wrote earlier. ...
Homeowners’ Associations (HOA) are organized by real estate developers who build community subdivisions of single-family homes, condominiums or townhomes. Typically, membership in an HOA is a condition of purchase although some HOAs offer voluntary membership. In a voluntary association the owner can choose not to join and pay dues. HOAs all have a Declaration of Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions (CC&R) which applies to all homeowners whether they are members of the ...
Moving is a stressful ordeal that disrupts the normal activities of you and your family. To avoid feeling overwhelmed, you need to create a checklist of the tasks that you must complete. As you work your way through your checklist, you will stay ahead of your moving schedule and still be able to keep track of your other obligations.1. Purge Junk and Unwanted ItemsMake your move easier on your back by reducing the amount of belongings that you bring. Work your w...
There is no doubt that affordable residential housing and commercial buildings are essential for many reasons and indeed required as a more cost effective solution. Modular prefabricated buildings offer a viable solution to this problem and come with a whole host of impressive benefits that include ease of transportation, construction, affordability and eco friendliness.Prefabricated buildings are as the term implies buildings that are manufactured in sections or module...
So yesterday I did this great thing, I signed the lease to the house I'm living in next year. I don't think excited properly explains how I feel. I know it's going to be tough, living with three other people (one whom I still haven't met) but I have faith in my friend's ability to pick people I won't have problems with. I have a lot of plans as well, as far as cooking and decorating go. I'm more excited to cook, because I'll be cooking way more often, but I also feel like...
I am a mere college student given the chance to live off campus. With a monthly rent check, I’m able to live in a house with two other girls. Although we rent this house, we rarely see our landlord. We signed a lease and gave him our word that this house would stay standing when our two years were up. So far, it’s stayed intact. But after a year and a half, we’ve had our share fair of memories built-up in this house – some good, some bad. After all this time, I can honestly s...
Although there is still a whole year for the film about Wikileaks, "The Fifth Estate", opens in theaters around the world, Julian Assange already has a copy of it and his criticism of her has been pretty hard.Inside his refuge in the Embassy of Ecuador in London, Julian Assange continues to talk and this time as a result of the film directed by screenwriter and director Bill Condon about his emporium Wikileaks and the leaks that have both talk.Assange was able to get a le...
Jenn Young is a freelance writer working with Uncle Bob's. She is passionate about beautifying her home and she currently writes on anything and everything related to storage unitsIf you’re like the majority of people, when it comes to moving, you want to do as much as you can for yourself in order to save as much money as possible. Unless you’ve moved appliances befor...
For the third time in a week I poured out a generous serving of “the dreaded healthy soup” into a saucepan, sighing heavily. Since it had been my idea to make the soup in the first place, my husband and son reasoned, it should be me who has to eat it. So every three weeks or so I dig down to the far reaches of the freezer and extract yet another mason jar of the stuff.The ingredients cost about forty dollars and required a special shopping trip. There are people starving i...
Lint-TrapUnlike the men in my household I am careful with laundry. I sort my washables into light and dark, and today the dark pile is bigger so that is what I load into the machine. Normally I check in case husband or son might have thrown a few light T-shirts or dark pants in, but it’s late in the day and I haven’t seen or heard anyone else near the machines all day. So it’s upend the hamper and into the depths drop jeans, corduruoys, favourite navy T-shirt, socks. . . al...
Hello All,Stage of Life is proud to announce its latest endeavor - the development of the first mobile storytelling game! For the last three months, we have been putting our creative efforts into drafting Writing Race, a multiplayer story writing game for Apple iPhone where friends will collaboratively (or competitively) write a story together using their mobile phone.Our idea to expand Stage of Life’s literacy initiative to the mobile realm began as some scribbling on a...
As World War II ended, everything was scarce--apartments, automobiles, refrigerators and money. With luck, we found a place in an old house being renovated by a friend. Our $40 per month pied a terre was part of a rear, second floor addition, probably originally intended as a solarium.At the top of a curved staircase was a long skinny hallway, just big enough for a sink and stove and a refrigerator we didn’t have. At the end of the hallway, on the left, was a multi...
Sixteen years ago, I was wearing prescription-strength rose colored glasses when I walked through the front door and knew that this house was going to be my home. Four bedrooms, three sets of stairs and a huge backyard... What single, 24 year old woman wouldn’t need this? SOLD!I got the key, moved in and furnished one room. (Two, if you count the mattress on the floor in the bedroom.) All I had to do now was acquire things and people. I immediately became an avid yard-sa...
Most people would agree that there are various external factors that can have a significant impact on our lives. Where we live, our partners and natural facets of the world we live in such as the weather. It is our innate ability to overcome issues and problems within all of these elements that make us who we are and how we enjoy our day to day life wherever we choose to reside.In terms of weather, there is a surprisingly diverse range of weather and climatic conditions...

Advertiser

Coupons for Life - 5% to 50% Off

As an educational writing initiative, StageofLife.com is fortunate to have the support of hundreds of brands who support this writing community and our literacy mission.  Because of that, you can save 5% to 50% off with Stage of Life's free My Life Rewards® program. 

Get discounts at Target.com, Papa John's, Lenovo, AAMCO, and many more...
Discount at Target.com on StageofLife.com Discount on pizza at PapaJohns.com from StageofLife.com Lenovo discount from StageofLife.com AAMCO auto discount from StageofLife.com