My Hero is a Cancer Fighter

rach.spears1
“My hero is a cancer fighter”
By: Rachael Spears

Whenever asking a little child who they look up to and call a hero, the children will not choose someone who has inspired them or has fought for the rights of the United States. The kids shout out Spiderman or batman, a fiction character, made for human entertainment, with powers that are unreal to any human beings. The ones who believe are too young to realize the ones who will impact your life for the best interest are the true hero’s. With my child hood some may consider it idyllic, everything was simple and I to believed super women was my hero. Until I came home from school and a family meeting was held, not knowing what was going on my heart was racing. My step father could not figure out what to say without bursting into tears, finally he told me and my siblings “I have cancer.” The most dreadful words, I did not know what to do and my heart just broke. My step father was diagnosed with colon cancer.

Watching him come home from the doctors became unbearable. The chemo and radiation made him weak and he could barely walk around the house. I could see all of his strength disappearing and when his left so did mine. I did not want to wake up and go to school, I tried to stay in bed and wish the cancer transformed to a dream. Unfortunately the wish never come true, I still had to go on with my life I could not just give up on all of my hard work I had put into my education to prepare me for college because of an incident occurring. While walking through the crowded halls in school I pretended to put a smile on my face while on the inside I was on the verge of breaking down and crying.

Even though faking a smile maybe awful this helped me redeem my strength. My smile made me escape everything going on in my household. Every day I learned to realize that while an event in your life has happened do not stop believing in yourself, keep going you will always get through the pain. With the experience I have faced I know I can overcome any obstacles in my life because a strong heart is a power like no other.

Without my step father as my hero I would have not been able to have strength in my heart because he made be understand to appreciate everything in life. Even though he was fighting cancer and the pain was overwhelming he knew he still had to support a family so he did not give up and still drove an hour and a half to work every day. This showed me not to give up on my education because I was not the one fighting a battle of pain. My step father has proved you do not need super powers to inspire another’s life.
Comment by hersheygirl

I guess I wanted to say thanks for writing this because it is like you are saying my mom is a hero to you even though you have never meet her because she is a cancer survivor
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 1:11:23 AM
Comment by Guest

Posts: 2,760
Abosluetly first rate and copper-bottomed, gentlemen!
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011 6:58:35 AM
Comment by Guest

Posts: 2,760
That's an inegniuos way of thinking about it.
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011 2:26:23 PM
Comment by Guest

Posts: 2,760
Woah nelly, how about them apleps!
Posted: Monday, January 2, 2012 4:49:50 AM
Comment by Guest

Posts: 2,760
Woah nelly, how about them apleps!
Posted: Monday, January 2, 2012 4:50:51 AM