Enter National Teen Writing Contest here...

2016 Writing Contest for College and High School Students
April | May 2016 Writing Contest for Teens

Writing Contests for High School Students and College StudentsStageofLife.com hosts an international writing contest each month for high school and college students.  Below you'll find the prizes, participating authors, rules, and steps in how to submit your essay for this month's life topic prompt. 

Also, View winners of past writing contests too.  We wish you the best!  Good luck!

Enter -
Submit Essay

Happiness - Writing Contest"It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness"

– Charles Spurgeon

What is the secret of happiness?  For our April 2016 and May 2016 student writing contest, we want you to relate a story about your thoughts on the secret of happiness.

Background 

How do you live a happy life? What constitutes happiness to you?

For this writing contest, we want to hear your happiness stories. What makes you the happiest? Can you relate one story that shows your own personal secret of happiness?  Gather up your ideas and craft your personal essay (500 words or less) about the secret of happiness.

Writing Contest instructionsTitle of Essay 
When you submit your essay, title it as:  "The Secret of Happiness: ______"

Include the phrase "Secret of Happiness" as the beginning of your essay title, but then make the rest of your story title unique.   Examples:

• The Secret of Happiness: Take A Vacation
  • The Secret of Happiness: Appreciate the Simple Things
  • The Secret of Happiness: Live with Compassion

Good luck!  Click blue button to submit your essay...

Submit essay to StageofLife.com writing contest

Rules 
Three quick rules:  1) 500 words or less.  2) Original work.  3) Non-fiction.

NOTE:  StageofLife.com registration is required to submit your essay.  StageofLife.com is visited by over 900,000 students, parents, teachers, and bloggers per year.  Our writing contests have been nationally recognized by leading authors (see our author sponsor page), Mashable, TIME.com, Wall Street Journal MarketWatch, and other media outlets as the leader for getting writing outside the classroom. 

See the full rules below. 

Deadline 
Midnight May 31, 2016 Pacific Time US

Education Prize Sponsors

Education essay sponsor - Papa John's   Education writing sponsor - IHOP

Writing Contest Prize Package

• The student (high school or college) who writes the 1st place essay will receive gift cards compliments of our education sponsors, Papa John's and IHOP.
  • Bragging rights
Please thank our sponsors, Papa John's and IHOP, for supporting the writing and literacy efforts on StageofLife.com

Writing Contest Resources 

VIDEO:  Tedtalk: Flow, The Secret of Happiness by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

VIDEO:  Tedtalk: The Surprising Science of Happiness by Dan Gilbert

VIDEO:  Tedtalk:  What Makes a Good Life? Lessons from the Longest Study on Happiness by Robert Waldinger

VIDEO:  Tedtalk: Want to be Happy? Be Grateful by David Steindl-Rast

Language Arts Teacher ResourcesWriting Contest Resource Links

Changing the World, One Story at a Time

EXTRA INFORMATION AND RULES FOR THE WRITING CONTEST...

Writing Contest Rules on StageofLife.comBe Real.  Be Yourself
The strongest submissions for this essay contest will use a personal tone and point-of-view writing style that shares your thoughts on the topic.  If you want to make your essay even stronger, we recommend doing a little research and adding quotes or a statistic (or two). 

Quick Rules:
  • Essays should be 500 words or less.
  • Essays must be your original work.
  • Essays must be non-fiction.
  • You are welcome to blog on StageofLife.com as much as you want, but only ONE essay submission per user for the writing contest is allowed.
  • Please be creative with your title, then type or cut and paste your full essay from a program like NotePad or TextEdit (don't use any formatting - just text, please) into the Story Details field (which will appear after you click the Submit Essay button above. 
  • Adjust the spacing of your essay within the essay submit form.
  • Title your essay using the instructions above so our Editors can find it in the story feeds in your life stage homepage on the website.  Example:  Here's where the high school student submissions get posted - High School
  • StageofLife.com is a non-partisan literacy initiative.  We judge the writing contest submissions not on the political or religious stance of our writers, but rather on how creative, original, passionate, and well written the essays are.  See below for more details on our judging policy.
  • Read these tips for good essay writing to be considered a writing contest finalist
  • You will need to login to StageofLife.com to submit your writing contest entry.  If you don't have a StageofLife.com login, please register for StageofLife.com (it's free).

StageofLife.com Prize Packages for Winning EssayPrize Package:  The winning writer will receive...

• A highlight as the Winning Essay on StageofLife.com
  • Prize from the writing contest sponsor mentioned above.
  • A mention and link to your essay in Stage of Life's national monthly press release - here's a link to one of our press releases for reference.
  • NOTE:  Winners will be contacted via a post on their story once judging is complete (approx. 30 days after contest ending).   An email will be sent to the winner to get the address for the prize package approx. 2-3 months afterwards.

International Writing Contests on StageofLife.comFree Essay Contest:

This is a free writing contest.  StageofLife.com does not require a submission fee. ONE  ESSAY ENTRY PER PERSON FOR THE WRITING CONTEST.  However, you are welcome to blog about your life or other topics outside of this writing contest at any time on StageofLife.com

Contest Deadline:  

Last day of the month at midnight Pacific Standard Time (US).   StageofLife.com time stamps all essays in Greenwich Mean Time (England) as we are an international writing initiative.  International submissions are welcome.

Winning writing contest essays on StageofLIfe.comWinning Essays: 

Of the submitted essays to StageofLife.com for a given writing contest prompt, one student winner and one adult winner will be selected.  The winner and semi-finalists will be announced after the 20th of the following month.  Winner and semi-finalists will be contacted by a StageofLife.com staffer via the email used to register for the website.

As we state in our Writing Contest Rules and Judging Criteria, student writers selected as our national essay finalists and winner(s) will demonstrate strong writing skills, a unique point-of-view, personal tone, originality, and realness in their essay. 

"Realness?"  Yes...realness. 

Blogging contests on StageofLife.comThe reason that journalists and organizations ranging from TIME.com to Mint Education have featured our essays (especially our teen posts) in the national media is because our bloggers all write from the heart.  Real people sharing real stories about their lives.  Combine this with our position as one of the only international, non-partisan, literacy platforms in the world and you'll find Stage of Life an open environment to share your ideas. 

Post Comments: 

We'd like to encourage all participants and readers to make comments on these writing contest essays.  Please just remember to keep all comments/posts/discussions civil and in good taste in each of the essay-blog threads, especially since some of our writing prompts are sensitive in nature.  Nasty comments, personal attacks, or other such comments are not allowed and will be removed should they come to our attention.

Judging:

If you have questions about the rules or judging criteria for our writing contests, you can visit our Rules & Judging Criteria page.

College student writing contest on Stage of LifeLast Words - Share Your Story: 

Our hope is that your writing contest submission will positively impact others and help with our mission of making the world a better place, one story at a time.  Your essay may inspire others or even better, give you an opportunity to share a story that's simply important to you.

After you've submitted your essay, feel free to share the link to your essay on Facebook or Twitter.  Our essays are judged by real Editors, not popularity, but we do like to spread the word about our national, grassroots writing contest.   Also, please share this writing contest with Language Arts, English and History teachers, or on your blog or website. 

If you know a teacher who would like a Stage of Life writing contest poster for his or her classroom, have them contact us.

About:

Read more about StageofLife.com and our mission by clicking throughout the website.  You can find the "About Us" link below in the footer.  If you need to contact us about this writing contest, you can do so here.

Contact StageofLife.com for National Writing Contest

Good luck!  Scroll back up and click on the "Submit Essay" button to upload your essay.

Past Writing Contests