Enter National Teen Writing Contest here...

August 2014 - Writing Contest for High School and College Students

Writing Contests for High School Students and College StudentsMONTHLY WRITING CONTESTS:  StageofLife.com hosts monthly writing contests for high school students and college students (open to international students, too).  Answer the real-world writing prompt below to share your thoughts and experiences as we change the world, one story at a time.  View winners of past writing contests.

Writing Contest:  School Daze

READ RULES...
ENTER YOUR ESSAY...

STEP 1 - Answer Teen Survey:
  Click the Survey Monkey logo to the right to answer our short poll.

STEP 2 - Submit Essay: 

In 500 words or less, write an essay that shares a personal story about a school memory.

Background:  It’s that time of year already.  

The smell of new school supplies wafts through the aisles of retail stores. Parents drag their school reluctant kids back to school shopping. Fears build about being the new kid, the bullied kid, the left out kid or just about new classes and new workloads after summer freedom. Other kids bored from lazy summer days get excited about the routines and new school adventures that await them in the upcoming year.  

For our August writing contest, we want you to submit a story about a school memory - being the new kid, a great school achievement, a special (or not so special) teacher, something joyful or something embarrassing.  

We all have memories tied to school days, so share a vividly detailed account of a school memory.

Click the blue "Submit Essay" button to the right.

Title of Essay: 
When you submit your essay, title it as:  "School Daze: ______"

Include the words "School Daze" as the beginning of your essay title, but then make the rest of your story title unique.   Examples...
  • School Daze: Mr. Jones is My Hero
  • School Daze: Being New Terrifies Me
  • School Daze: Hallway Throw-up and the Librarian From the Black Lagoon

Rules:

Three simple rules for the Stage of Life writing contest. 

1) This is a Non-Fiction essay contest. 

2)  Essays are 500 words or less.

3)  Essay must be your original work.

Deadline: 
Midnight August 31, 2014 Pacific Time US

Results: 
Finalists, Runners Up, and the Winner will be posted on our writing contest winners page and  Teen Trend Report after September 20, 2014.

STEP 1:  Take Survey

Take StageofLife.com teen survey

(click logo to take survey)

STEP 2:  Enter Essay

Submit essay to StageofLife.com writing contest

Education Prize Sponsors

Education essay sponsor - Papa John's   Education writing sponsor - IHOP

Writing Contest Prize Package

• The student (high school or college) who writes the 1st place essay will receive gift cards compliments of our education sponsors, Papa John's and IHOP
  • SWAG package from StageofLife.com
  • National press release exposure for your essay from StageofLife.com
  • Bragging rights
NOTE: 
Winners will be contacted via a post on their story once judging is complete (approx. 30 days after contest ending).   An email will be sent to the winner to get the address for the prize package approx. 1-2 months afterwards.

Please thank our sponsors, Papa John's and IHOP, for supporting the writing and literacy efforts on StageofLife.com
    Changing the World, One Story at a Time

“The principle goal of education in the schools should be creating men and women who are capable of doing new things, not simply repeating what other generations have done; men and women who are creative, inventive and discoverers, who can be critical and verify, and not accept, everything they are offered.” 

--Jean Piaget

Resource Links
    Enter our Twitter Contest
    Enter our Photo Contest
     Enter Twitter Contest  Enter Photo Contest
    Contact StageofLife.com for National Writing ContestContact Us about this Teen Writing Contest 
    ATTENTION TEACHERS:
    Notes to the Teacher

EXTRA INFORMATION AND RULES FOR THE WRITING CONTEST...

Writing Contest Rules on StageofLife.comBe Real.  Be Yourself
    The strongest submissions for this essay contest will use a personal tone and point-of-view writing style that shares your thoughts on the topic.  If you want to make your essay even stronger, we recommend doing a little research and adding quotes or a statistic (or two). 

Quick Rules:
    • Essays should be 500 words or less.
    • You are welcome to blog on StageofLife.com as much as you want, but only ONE essay submission per user for the writing contest is allowed.
    • Please be creative with your title, then type or cut and paste your full essay from a program like NotePad or TextEdit (don't use any formatting - just text, please) into the Story Details field (which will appear after you click the Submit Essay button above. 
    • Adjust the spacing of your essay within the essay submit form.
    • Title your essay using the instructions above so our Editors can find it in the story feeds in your life stage homepage on the website.  Example:  Here's where the high school student submissions get posted - High School
    • StageofLife.com is a non-partisan literacy initiative.  We judge the writing contest submissions not on the political or religious stance of our writers, but rather on how creative, original, passionate, and well written the essays are.  See below for more details on our judging policy.
    • Read these tips for good essay writing to be considered a writing contest finalist
    • You will need to login to StageofLife.com to submit your writing contest entry.  If you don't have a StageofLife.com login, please register for StageofLife.com (it's free).

StageofLife.com Prize Packages for Winning EssayPrize Package:  The winning writer will receive...

• A highlight as the Winning Essay on StageofLife.com
    • Prize from the writing contest sponsor mentioned above.
    • A mention and link to your essay in Stage of Life's national monthly press release - here's a link to one of our press releases for reference.
    • NOTE:  Winners will be contacted via a post on their story once judging is complete (approx. 30 days after contest ending).   An email will be sent to the winner to get the address for the prize package approx. 2-3 months afterwards.

International Writing Contests on StageofLife.comFree Essay Contest:

This is a free writing contest.  StageofLife.com does not require a submission fee. ONE  ESSAY ENTRY PER PERSON FOR THE WRITING CONTEST.  However, you are welcome to blog about your life or other topics outside of this writing contest at any time on StageofLife.com

Contest Deadline:  

Last day of the month at midnight Pacific Standard Time (US).   StageofLife.com time stamps all essays in Greenwich Mean Time (England) as we are an international writing initiative.  International submissions are welcome.

Winning writing contest essays on StageofLIfe.comWinning Essays: 

Of the submitted essays to StageofLife.com for a given writing contest prompt, one student winner and one adult winner will be selected.  The winner and semi-finalists will be announced after the 20th of the following month.  Winner and semi-finalists will be contacted by a StageofLife.com staffer via the email used to register for the website.

As we state in our Writing Contest Rules and Judging Criteria, student writers selected as our national essay finalists and winner(s) will demonstrate strong writing skills, a unique point-of-view, personal tone, originality, and realness in their essay. 

"Realness?"  Yes...realness. 

Blogging contests on StageofLife.comThe reason that journalists and organizations ranging from TIME.com to Mint Education have featured our essays (especially our teen posts) in the national media is because our bloggers all write from the heart.  Real people sharing real stories about their lives.  Combine this with our position as one of the only international, non-partisan, literacy platforms in the world and you'll find Stage of Life an open environment to share your ideas. 

Post Comments: 

We'd like to encourage all participants and readers to make comments on these writing contest essays.  Please just remember to keep all comments/posts/discussions civil and in good taste in each of the essay-blog threads, especially since some of our writing prompts are sensitive in nature.  Nasty comments, personal attacks, or other such comments are not allowed and will be removed should they come to our attention.

Judging:

If you have questions about the rules or judging criteria for our writing contests, you can visit our Rules & Judging Criteria page.

College student writing contest on Stage of LifeLast Words - Share Your Story: 

Our hope is that your writing contest submission will positively impact others and help with our mission of making the world a better place, one story at a time.  Your essay may inspire others or even better, give you an opportunity to share a story that's simply important to you.

After you've submitted your essay, feel free to share the link to your essay on Facebook or Twitter.  Our essays are judged by real Editors, not popularity, but we do like to spread the word about our national, grassroots writing contest.   Also, please share this writing contest with Language Arts, English and History teachers, or on your blog or website. 

If you know a teacher who would like a Stage of Life writing contest poster for his or her classroom, have them contact us.

About:

Read more about StageofLife.com and our mission

Good luck!  Scroll back up and click on the "Submit Essay" button to upload your essay.
    Summer Writing Contest for High School and College Students (June & July 2014)

Writing Contests for High School Students and College StudentsMONTHLY WRITING CONTESTS:  StageofLife.com hosts a monthly writing contest for high school students and college students (open to international students, too).  Answer the real-world writing prompt each month to share your thoughts and experiences as we change the world, one story at a time.  View winners of past writing contests.

Writing Contest:  YouTube in our Lives

Writing Contest - Videos in our Lives“Video gives people a voice. From classrooms to war-torn countries, the Queen of England to the King of Pop, the Pope to the President of the United States, and the hillsides of Port au Prince to the streets of Tehran, video has the power to give rise to the most diverse set of faces and voices ever seen or heard in human history." --Chad Hurley, Founder - YouTube

READ RULES...
    ENTER YOUR ESSAY...

STEP 1 - Answer Teen Survey:

STEP 2 - Submit Essay: 

In 500 words or less, write an essay that shares a personal view on how YouTube has impacted your world.  Since this writing contest covers two months over the summer, you may submit up to two (2) essays to the contest.

Background:  On February 14th, 2005, three PayPal employees, Chad Hurley, Steven Chen, and Jawed Karim founded YouTube.  YouTube’s "About" page states that it “allows billions of people to discover, watch and share originally-created videos. YouTube provides a forum for people to connect, inform, and inspire others across the globe and acts as a distribution platform for original content creators and advertisers large and small.”

Do you remember a time without YouTube?  Do you remember the first time that you watched or shared a YouTube video?

How has YouTube been a part (or not been a part) of your life?

Title of Essay:  When you submit your essay, title it as:  "YouTube: ______"

Include the words "YouTube" as the beginning of your essay title, but then make the rest of your story title unique.   Examples...
    • YouTube: Double Rainbow Guy Changed My Life
    • YouTube: Making Morons Famous
    • YouTube: The Way to Fix the Crumbling Music Industry
    • YouTube: My Life For the World to See

IMPORTANT - At the end of your essay, please include a link to your favorite YouTube video.  Maybe your favorite video will inspire others!

Writing Contest Details:
    According to Digital Marketing Ramblings (DMR), there are 1 billion YouTube users in the world. With that many people using YouTube on a regular basis, we want to know how YouTube is impacting the world - your world and the world at large. 

Consider these questions to spur ideas for your essay:
    • Do you believe that YouTube has been a positive or negative contribution to our world? Why?
    • In what ways can you see YouTube impacting the future?
    • Has fame and the rise to fame changed due to YouTube?
    • Which YouTube videos are your favorites and why?
    • What power does YouTube have in our world?
    • Why do you think YouTube is so popular?
    Don't answer each of these questions in your essay.  Rather, what we want to see is a stylistic, personal essay that shares your unique views on this topic.

We look forward to reading your story for this summer's writing contest.

Rules:

1) This is a Non-Fiction essay contest. 

2)  Essays are 500 words or less.

3)  Essay must be your original work.

Deadline:  Midnight July 31, 2014 Pacific Time US

Results:  Finalists, Runners Up, and the Winner will be posted on our writing contest winners page and  Teen Trend Report after August 20, 2014.

Resource Links

Writing Contest about YouTube

STEP 1:  Take Survey

Take StageofLife.com teen survey

(click logo to take survey)

STEP 2:  Enter Essay

(Don't forget to include the link to your favorite YouTube video at the end of your essay!)

Resources
    Videos about YouTube

“Why Videos Go Viral”

Why Videos Go Viral

Ted Talk by Kevin Allocca about “Why Videos Go Viral.”

Inspirational Videos

Inspirational Videos

Check out StageofLife.com's hand picked selection of inspirational videos for students and teachers.

"Rosanna Pansino, Michelle Phan, Bethany Mota Share Secrets to YouTube Success"

How to create a successful YouTube channel tutorial from three top YouTube celebrities.

"Me at the zoo"

The very first ever video posted on YouTube by one of the 3 creators (at the zoo).

Articles about YouTube

How YouTube has Changed the World Forever” from the Irish Examiner.  Includes great videos to highlight important insights about the YouTube phenomena

Five Ways YouTube has Changed the World” from Social Times

Education Prize Sponsors

Writing Contest Prize Package

• SWAG package from StageofLife.com
    • Bragging rights
    NOTE: 

Changing the World, One Story at a Time
      Enter our Twitter Contest
      Enter our Photo Contest
      ATTENTION TEACHERS:
      Notes to the Teacher

Quick Rules:
      • Essays should be 500 words or less.

This is a free writing contest.  StageofLife.com does not require a submission fee. TWO  ESSAY ENTRIES PER PERSON FOR THE WRITING CONTEST.  However, you are welcome to blog about your life or other topics outside of this writing contest at any time on StageofLife.com

Contest Deadline:  

"Realness?"  Yes...realness. 

Post Comments: 

Judging:

About:

Next