Enter National Teen Writing Contest here...

2015 August Student Writing Contest
Writing Contests for High School Students and College StudentsMONTHLY WRITING CONTESTS:  StageofLife.com hosts monthly international writing contests for high school students and college students.  Answer the real-world writing prompt below to share your thoughts and experiences as we change the world, one story at a time.  View winners of past writing contests.

Writing Contest Topic:  Vacations

RULES...
SUBMIT ESSAY...

STEP 1 Answer Survey:
  Click the Survey Monkey logo to the right to answer our short poll.

STEP 2 Submit Essay:
For the August 2015 writing contest, we want you to write a personal essay (500 words or less) about a family vacation memory.

NOTE:  Submit the title of your essay per the directions below.

Background:  Each summer many families hit the road or head to the airport to get away for a vacation.  Some are happy trips, weird trips, trips fraught with mishaps, or even trips that changed lives.

This topic is timely as the Vacation movie, starring Ed Helms, was released this month.  It's the sequel to the 1980's National Lampoon's Vacation, starring Chevy Chase - the story about a Dad who dreams of taking his family on the cross country trip of a lifetime.

Even though the U.S. is sometimes referred to as the “No Vacation Nation,” (because many people don’t take their allotted vacation time each year) over 60% of us will go on a summer family vacation.

If you have ever been on a family vacation, we want to hear about a specific memory from one of your trips.  Regardless of if the event is as ridiculous as something from the National Lampoon’s Vacation movies or if they are more like an epic life-changing journey of discovery...we want to hear about it.

Gather up your thoughts this August and write a creative, personal essay (500 words or less) that shares your family vacation memory.  Please don’t try to retell every moment of your family vacation, but instead try to choose specific moments or even one moment that can highlight a unique event.  Dig into the details of that event to make us laugh, cry, or cringe!
Click the blue "Submit Essay" button to the right to upload your story and enter the writing contest.

Title of Essay: 
When you submit your essay, title it as:  "Family Vacation: ______"

Include the phrase "Family Vacation" as the beginning of your essay title, but then make the rest of your story title unique.   Examples:
  • Family Vacation: Passing out in Disney World
  • Family Vacation: Watching the Shuttle Launch from my Dad’s Pacer.

Rules: 
Three simple rules for the Stage of Life student writing contest. 

1) This is a Non-Fiction essay contest. 
2)  Essays are 500 words or less.
3)  Essays must be your original work.

Deadline: 
Midnight Aug. 31, 2015 Pacific Time US

Results: 
Finalists, Runners Up, and the Winner will be posted on our writing contest winners page and Teen Trend Report after Sept. 26, 2015.

NOTE:  Winners will be contacted via a post on their uploaded StageofLife.com story once judging is complete (approx. 30 days after contest ending).   An email will be sent to the winner(s) to get the address for the prize package approx. 1-2 months afterwards.
August 2015 Student Writing Contests

STEP 1:  Take Survey

Take StageofLife.com teen survey

(Click logo to take survey)

STEP 2:  Enter Essay

Submit essay to StageofLife.com writing contest

(click to submit your essay) 
Please title your essay per instructions to the right

Writing Contest Resources

Articles and Videos about Family Vacations:

1) Article: 
Why Everyone Needs a Vacation 
An interesting article from the Washington Post

2) Video 

Original Movie Trailer for
National Lampoon’s Vacation (1983)

3)  Video 

Official Movie Trailer for the new
Vacation
  (2015)

Education Prize Sponsors

Education essay sponsor - Papa John's   Education writing sponsor - IHOP

Writing Contest Prize Package

• The student (high school or college) who writes the 1st place essay will receive gift cards compliments of our education sponsors, Papa John's and IHOP.
  • Bragging rights
Please thank our sponsors, Papa John's and IHOP, for supporting the writing and literacy efforts on StageofLife.com
    Enter our Twitter Contest
    ATTENTION TEACHERS:
    Language Arts Teacher Resources
    Contact StageofLife.com for National Writing ContestContact Us about this Teen Writing Contest 

EXTRA INFORMATION AND RULES FOR THE WRITING CONTEST...

Writing Contest Rules on StageofLife.comBe Real.  Be Yourself
    The strongest submissions for this essay contest will use a personal tone and point-of-view writing style that shares your thoughts on the topic.  If you want to make your essay even stronger, we recommend doing a little research and adding quotes or a statistic (or two). 

Quick Rules:
    • Essays should be 500 words or less.
    • You are welcome to blog on StageofLife.com as much as you want, but only ONE essay submission per user for the writing contest is allowed.
    • Please be creative with your title, then type or cut and paste your full essay from a program like NotePad or TextEdit (don't use any formatting - just text, please) into the Story Details field (which will appear after you click the Submit Essay button above. 
    • Adjust the spacing of your essay within the essay submit form.
    • Title your essay using the instructions above so our Editors can find it in the story feeds in your life stage homepage on the website.  Example:  Here's where the high school student submissions get posted - High School
    • StageofLife.com is a non-partisan literacy initiative.  We judge the writing contest submissions not on the political or religious stance of our writers, but rather on how creative, original, passionate, and well written the essays are.  See below for more details on our judging policy.
    • Read these tips for good essay writing to be considered a writing contest finalist
    • You will need to login to StageofLife.com to submit your writing contest entry.  If you don't have a StageofLife.com login, please register for StageofLife.com (it's free).

StageofLife.com Prize Packages for Winning EssayPrize Package:  The winning writer will receive...

• A highlight as the Winning Essay on StageofLife.com
    • Prize from the writing contest sponsor mentioned above.
    • A mention and link to your essay in Stage of Life's national monthly press release - here's a link to one of our press releases for reference.
    • NOTE:  Winners will be contacted via a post on their story once judging is complete (approx. 30 days after contest ending).   An email will be sent to the winner to get the address for the prize package approx. 2-3 months afterwards.

International Writing Contests on StageofLife.comFree Essay Contest:

This is a free writing contest.  StageofLife.com does not require a submission fee. ONE  ESSAY ENTRY PER PERSON FOR THE WRITING CONTEST.  However, you are welcome to blog about your life or other topics outside of this writing contest at any time on StageofLife.com

Contest Deadline:  

Last day of the month at midnight Pacific Standard Time (US).   StageofLife.com time stamps all essays in Greenwich Mean Time (England) as we are an international writing initiative.  International submissions are welcome.

Winning writing contest essays on StageofLIfe.comWinning Essays: 

Of the submitted essays to StageofLife.com for a given writing contest prompt, one student winner and one adult winner will be selected.  The winner and semi-finalists will be announced after the 20th of the following month.  Winner and semi-finalists will be contacted by a StageofLife.com staffer via the email used to register for the website.

As we state in our Writing Contest Rules and Judging Criteria, student writers selected as our national essay finalists and winner(s) will demonstrate strong writing skills, a unique point-of-view, personal tone, originality, and realness in their essay. 

"Realness?"  Yes...realness. 

Blogging contests on StageofLife.comThe reason that journalists and organizations ranging from TIME.com to Mint Education have featured our essays (especially our teen posts) in the national media is because our bloggers all write from the heart.  Real people sharing real stories about their lives.  Combine this with our position as one of the only international, non-partisan, literacy platforms in the world and you'll find Stage of Life an open environment to share your ideas. 

Post Comments: 

We'd like to encourage all participants and readers to make comments on these writing contest essays.  Please just remember to keep all comments/posts/discussions civil and in good taste in each of the essay-blog threads, especially since some of our writing prompts are sensitive in nature.  Nasty comments, personal attacks, or other such comments are not allowed and will be removed should they come to our attention.

Judging:

If you have questions about the rules or judging criteria for our writing contests, you can visit our Rules & Judging Criteria page.

College student writing contest on Stage of LifeLast Words - Share Your Story: 

Our hope is that your writing contest submission will positively impact others and help with our mission of making the world a better place, one story at a time.  Your essay may inspire others or even better, give you an opportunity to share a story that's simply important to you.

After you've submitted your essay, feel free to share the link to your essay on Facebook or Twitter.  Our essays are judged by real Editors, not popularity, but we do like to spread the word about our national, grassroots writing contest.   Also, please share this writing contest with Language Arts, English and History teachers, or on your blog or website. 

If you know a teacher who would like a Stage of Life writing contest poster for his or her classroom, have them contact us.

About:

Read more about StageofLife.com and our mission

Good luck!  Scroll back up and click on the "Submit Essay" button to upload your essay.

Next