Writing Community for Teens

Teen BloggingTeen Blogging:  Share a Story.  Enter Writing Contests...

Stage of Life® is a teen writing community dedicated to teen bloggers.  Get involved with our teen blogging mission: Share a life experience, enter our monthly, national writing contests for high school students, explore our teen trends and student statistics, check out inspirational movies about high school students, save money with our coupons for students, and so much more. Whether you're a freshman or a senior, we look forward to providing you an online journal to blog about your life.  Get started now...

Enter StageofLife.com teen writing contest Twitter writing contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for students on StageofLife.com
Enter the monthly national writing contest for students: April 2014

"Teenagers in Love Writing Contest"
Or...don't have a lot of time?
Enter our new, "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.

Student Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com
Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's coupon code from StageofLife.com     Lenovo computer discount for Stage of Life members

Essay Winners

Recent Teen Writing Contest Winners

Teen Blogging WinnersBefore you scroll down to read the essays being submitted by our teen writers and bloggers, let's celebrate the recent essay winners.  If you want to see if your essay was a finalist - check out our monthly teen trend report summary for each writing contest.  And don't forget to submit your story for our current writing contests for students!
Current 2014 Writing Contests for High School and College Students...

Teen Writing Contest Details

Winning Teen EssayJanuary 2013 Writing Contest Winner
Essay Prompt:  "What are your hopes and fears for 2014?"
Winning Essay: Dear Me: Living in the present is more beautiful than you could ever imagine by evanscd
National Press Release - 88% of Teens Feel They Have the Power to Make a Difference in the World, Reports StageofLife.com Per its International Writing Contest

Winning Teen EssayDecember 2013 Writing Contest Winner
Essay Prompt:  "Where has civility gone?"
Winning Essay: Not the Same as Respect by euiyoung.kim.509
National Press Release - 92% of Teens Say Social Media is Creating a Less Civil Society, Reports StageofLife.com

Past Writing Contest WinnersPAST CONTEST WINNERS:  Find past writing contest winners, runner's up, and finalists in our Teen Trend Reports and Writing Contest Archive.

Read Teen Stories and Writing Contest Essays

I remember how great it felt to be around him, like existing never meant anything until we came together—both atoms in our bodies vivacious, igniting simply by the completed presence of one another. He was flame where I was candle wax, and being around him melted me—his brown hair, his green eyes and his stupid smirk—just one glance could light my body on fire. How dangerous it seemed to be around someone so lethal: a thief who could steal my heart and continue to make my...
As a writer, every idea I think up is as important to me as the air I breathe. Sometimes it comes to me before sleep or on the school bus; the brilliant ones always come during those transient moments. But as suddenly as they appear, my ideas tend to vanish just as quickly. In fact, the brain is my bet for the worst recordkeeper of all time; my thoughts are about as safe with its storage as money is with banks. Less I run the risk of losing a potential story topic, I make sur...
Growing up, I only had friends that were guys. I went to a private school, MJDS, and my grade only had 28 kids in it and all of the other girls just wanted to play with dolls or play dress up, and I didn’t. I wanted to run outside and get dirty so naturally I gravitated toward guys more, especially at a young age. I had two best friends; we were an unstoppable group of little wide-eyed six years. Then, an unseen hand reached in a pulled me out of MJDS and put me into a ...
I love walking around the mall and seeing all the new prom dresses in the window. All of the girls shopping with their friends and moms are adorable. It brings those flashbacks of my own prom night. Like every other student I was excited for the last get together before we all went our separate ways. I had graduated in January 2008 and shortly after my mom was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. The day before my prom my mom was scheduled to go in for the whipple procedure whic...
"I saw him standing there. He was with his friends, I with mine. He looked beautiful as always. I was having a bad hair day. I walked past him, trying to laugh and smile as exuberant as possible. I wanted him to see me, to perhaps glance my way, to show some hint of recognition. Nothing. As I walked past, his eyes never meandered from his friends. Or did they? Perhaps I saw him glance my way. Was that a smile I saw? Perhaps he was also trying to get my attention by hav...
Dear ___________, Where do I begin? You’ll probably never even see this, considering it’s in my journal and I’d sooner cut off my left hand then show it to anybody. But maybe that’s for the best. This letter is like signing a yearbook, I think. It has always been easier to write what I feel than to say it, out loud. Here, I can choose my words carefully, list a few fond memories, add in some best wishes, and then spend five minutes deciding whether to put “Love” or “S...
I'm more than halfway through my internship at Stage of Life and I wanted to update everyone on what I've been up to. I am lucky enough to help manage our social media accounts so I'll take you through the changes and updates of each one. Sharing Photos on SOL Instagram account is also a submission to our Photo contests. If you want to share a photo with the account direct message or use the hashtag #stageoflife. We post pictures of our winning entry as well. If your're new ...
We will travel, drawn by deep desire.We will bring maps, or write our own from stars.Marvel in beauty, constant inspire,Dreams and words will mingle, finally ours. You and I will dance in foreign cities,Under a familiar golden sun.The art of the earth, laughing in lilies. Adventures become a fairy tale one. With a compass and our wanderlust hearts,Lavishing the world where ever we are.This wondrous sojourn, our love imparts. Seeing new culture from near and from ...
Most of what we know about love as children comes from fairytales. The intrepid Prince Charming fights malignant witches and terrifying dragons to come to your rescue. When he finally reaches you, he is still impeccably dressed, with not a scratch or smudge of dirt on his face, but of course that’s why he’s Prince Charming. He kisses you on your lips, and waits for the moment your perfect blue eyes flutter open and you fall in love with his Oh so Handsome Face. Then you ride ...
My whole life I have been ignored by all sorts of different people. When I was kid I was lonley and all I wanted to do was to make friends. I did things I regret because I thought that was only way people would like me. I felt that was the only way I could feel noticed by people. All that did was make me feel more insecure about myself, and I am still lonley so that only made things worse. The one that I will never forget and hurt me the most was a few years ago when I lost ...
I have never been in love,and I don't ever wish to ever be in love during my high school experience. Dating in highSchool is just a waste of terrible heartache, crying,and regret. Teenage girls areVery venerable at their age, and insecure.Obviously, as a common fact most Teenage boys are after one thing at that is Sex. All the boys has to do is give that sweet, and insecure girl a few complements to make her feel good about herself, and then take advantage of her....
Prom is a very emotional time in high school, mostly for girls. Starting in the beginning of March every girl is stressing and dressing there best in the hopes of getting asked to prom. Guys on the other hand are consulting with their guy friend about who they are going to ask, pretty simple. If they already have a girlfriend then its quite simple you ask them, but wait whose asks who? Well the stereotype is that boy asks girl right? I bet a lot more girls would have a dat...
Teenage love is way different from when you are an adult because you are still in high school and at a young age. When you are a teenager you don’t really know what to expect when you are going into a relationship unless you have been through one already. A teenager in love is just puppy love trying to look for something to comfort them throughout high school. While in a relationship as a teenager is harder to do because once the two break up then it will cause one or both of...
Allot of teens now days think that because they are in a relationship that they are “in love” I think that in today’s society every one thrives off of that feeling of being wanted and being cared for. I do believe in true love but I think that it is something to be worked for. Most teens today throw the word love around and think it means something, but to me it is much more than that. i think that teens need to realize that you don’t need to rush into things and get to serio...
’Tis better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all” – Alfred Lord Tennyson had quoted as well as I, whenever I take a walk back down the memory lane of the past. People question the meaning of true love as these feelings keep disappearing from the hearts of those who had given up or had mistaken the meaning, what’s more I was one of those people thinking that love was a foolish feeling and that it can be avoided with a strong mind and will. Yet, it wa...
It was difficult to accept the consequences of my actions. To be honest, sophomore year had not only been stressful but I figured I would have more than enough time to complete my graduation requirement of completing 100 volunteering hours in my community. Then again, time caught up with me and before I knew it, Summer was the season where I exchanged sunglasses and afternoon carnival outings for a volunteer badge and a position on my local library's staff.There was an upsi...
I write because all of my atoms are infused with languages I don’t know how to speak. I’ve been tugging words out of the seams in my skin since the day I was born and haven’t managed to string more than a sentence together. I haven’t figured it out yet. There is no accurate way to tell you what a supernova feels like when it’s lodged in your mouth – I wouldn’t know how to pronounce the words if there was – and the best I can do is unhinge my jaw and let the heat out.I wri...
From holding hands and kissing in the hallway to Twitter fights and obnoxious “he said she said” drama high, school relationships are nothing but a non-stop emotional roller coaster. For someone who doesn't have guys knocking down her door, hearing about other people’s relationship dramas can really be a drag. The amount of time, energy, and emotion high school girls put into their boyfriend of the month appalls me. High school should be a time of exploring yourself and havin...
I found no solution in the Truth. Blindness of Beauty will always shroud the logic of reality. Sigh... What a cheater....
I never thought that it could happen to me, not in my wildest dreams. Not now, at least. But, it did. It was just a small, innocuous question, “Are you okay, dear?”It was probably because of the care and concern reflected in his voice, but I fell head over heels, swirling beautifully, colourfully into love.He was one of my very good friends, but I had never thought of him as anything but a friend, till now.Now, I listened to a number of cheesy, romantic Bollywood ...
My brain likes to lie to itself. “I have never understood the appeal of dating in high school.” Or at least, that’s what the logical side of my brain says. “Who needs relationship drama, and who has time to devote to a relationship when you have homework, extracurriculars, and college applications to worry about?” I scoff at the couples holding hands or kissing in the hallways, and roll my eyes when one of my friends announces her new beau, knowing that they won’t last a mont...
Throughout teenage years, love is everywhere. Whether it’s love for a sport, a certain class, friendships, or a significant other, teenagers experience love in many different ways. Love is important for a teenager because it is important to learn from mistakes and grow from them while we are young and still able to make mistakes. Some ridicule teenage relationships because of age or the common thought of “why bother having a relationship at such a young age if it won’t last ...
It seems like when it comes to one's high school experience, the less-fortunate majority of us have a list of regrets. I know had regrets in my past being in love. There are things I wish had gone differently, things that should or shouldn't have happened, and things that I don't even want to think about. I didn't understand girls and they certainly didn't understand me. True, I was shy when I was younger, but I was a nice, caring person. Why was I so different from...
Well, all I can tell you is the first day I got my first kiss, it changed my whole life. At first, I didn't know someone like me would ever experience a kiss until around my 20's. Literally, I thought that. One day, my friend Aaron asked me what I was doing. I told him I wasn't doing anything that day, so he asked me to hang out. I said ok. He came down to my town, and we met up at the park. We walked around in the grass and talked. He was asking me if I though anyone was att...
In a world where terror is medicine,The only antidote to dying is fear,For brave and brash lose everything,From their hearts to their heads.We forget we exist in shadows;That heroes are not always idols,And glory only seems golden For those with souls lost.They never did tell us thatMartyrs breathe in History’s pages,But never in life itself,Their tales shelved long before,Is it worthy to be penned in ink,To have strangers spin foreign stories,A substitute fo...
The thought of ‘true love’ resonating within the hormonal and awkward vessel that is the teenage body is anything but a fairytale. True love in today’s world has become such a cheap practice that seems to be available to almost anyone. Teenagers, of course, receive the most mockery for it. We have too many hormones for anything to be valid, and therefore it’s completely okay to invalidate our affection for someone else. It’s as if our hormones and pubescent characteristics te...
I’m going to tell you a story about a friend of mine and her boyfriend. We’ll call them Ali and Ethan. It started two years ago. Our small school had just opened and they were sophomores. Ali and Ethan had known each other for years, the same classes, even sitting at the same lunch table, but they didn’t realize it until meeting each other that first day of school. That first year, they were best friends, nearly inseparable, but dating wasn’t in the picture until one night....
"Where are you?""Here. Just keep walking straight." A rectangle of light stretches lazily across the grass from the basement door as it's opened. A blob of a figure makes a shadow in the middle before it shuts. My head rolls to the left, ear pressed to the cold grass, watching the darkest shadow pick its way over. It's mid-Fall, but the night air seeps into my skin until my blood feels like sludge and my limbs shiver."It's fucking cold. And you're fucking crazy." The gr...
The night was still, no wind, nothing breathed. But the ground, I could feel it shake, pulse with every beating heart on the dance floor. Every step the crowd shared. I wore a white dress and heels, yet I wasn’t dancing. I sat by myself on the smooth polished maple stairs, the front doors to the building behind me were flung open and the bass was only adding to the minute earthquake. The only thing I thought about was how badly I wanted to go back to my dorm room and sleep. I...
I've always been the outcast to myself and other people.My insecurities always take over. I have pushed to many people away. I have pissed to many people off.I haven't been happy for awhile. my friend has gone on holiday. I am no longer protected. but its about time someone should name and shame. my story is only going to be understood by the people who have been through what I have. You Never Really Can Fix A Heart!...