Writing Community for Teens

Teen BloggingTeen Blogging:  Share a Story.  Enter Writing Contests...

Stage of Life® is a teen writing community dedicated to teen bloggers.  Get involved with our teen blogging mission: Share a life experience, enter our monthly, national writing contests for high school students, explore our teen trends and student statistics, check out inspirational movies about high school students, save money with our coupons for students, and so much more. Whether you're a freshman or a senior, we look forward to providing you an online journal to blog about your life.  Get started now...

Enter StageofLife.com teen writing contest Twitter writing contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for students on StageofLife.com
Enter the monthly national writing contest for students: Nov. 2014

"Food for Thought"
Or...don't have a lot of time?
Enter our new, "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.

Student Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com
Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's coupon code from StageofLife.com     Lenovo computer discount for Stage of Life members

Essay Winners

Recent Teen Writing Contest Winners

Teen Blogging WinnersWinning Teen EssayBefore you scroll down to read the essays being submitted by our teen writers and bloggers, let's celebrate the recent essay winners.  If you want to see if your essay was a finalist - check out our monthly teen trend report summary for each writing contest.

Teen Writing Contest Details

Read Teen Stories and Writing Contest Essays

There was a time that we celebrate Eid.You won't know what day it ends up to be but you will know that that day will finally come around.My grandparents are basically chefs.In our family history,we eat special recipes on special events.I remember on Eid day when my Granpa made me pasta and meatballs.Its my favorite dish.I only eat it on special events.In our culture this are different.We may be the same but in culture this are different.So we all had sat and we started eating...
It's a bout a time or a memory of a food with my family.Its also my favorite meal.I love food but cooking isn't the best thing I would do better on.This story is based on my culture and our own recipe ...
What is one of the best memories of life? The answer might be varied according to the different perspective. But my unique and strange answer would be ‘Food Memories’. Honestly, to me food is everything as I love to eat. I can’t imagine myself without food. It gives us the immense happiness that is indescribable. While eating a favorite food we forget all the restrictions of diets or nutrients and the only thing that matters at that time is that the taste of the food....
Mona Lisa is similar to a Big Mac; a blank, A4-size paper to an exquisite linguine alle vongole. It seems absurd to equate the products of tremendous effort and skill to those of perfunctoriness. However, this absurdity can only be observed when we see ourselves as skilled producers of art or food. To consumers, even the most consummate work of art or cuisine is rendered to a prototypical image or taste, the icons by which our memory identifies products.Just as I summon the...
There is a stereotype for everything; social class, gender, race, and a lot of others. Many stereotypes are incorrect and demeaning, but the stereotype for Thanksgiving is usually correct. People gather with their families, and eat turkey, mashed potatoes, cranberries, the usual. There are movies such as “A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving”, or “Free Birds” about a stereotypical Thanksgiving (well maybe not “Free Birds”, but my point is proven). One can even look at the Google log...
November is the month when the leaves fall, and the smell of pies and other goodies fill the air. November is truly one of the most beautiful months of the year. Around this time of the year many people create such a ruckus in their houses, people scrambling around to buy food and ingredients to prepare a feast for Thanksgiving. Most families cook a huge meal for them to enjoy, but our family is different. We have an "untraditional" tradition. Every year we don't go out and b...
Eating is one of my favorite things to do, I could share various memories that all revolve around food. The memory that sticks out the most, isn't realed to a specific food but more of an experience. When I think of my family, and when we are able to be together collectively - both immediate and distant family - food always play an invalluabld part of the gathering. Specially Southern Food! Every New Years Day 40+ relatives all gather at my house. The gathering is a celebrati...
The snow fell off the roof, though it was barley seen. The winds were picking up but it was under heard due to the TV. I went over to see Grandma sitting at the kitchen table. “Hey can we do the gingerbread house now”, I asked. I hoped that she said yes so that we can have some more fun before this was all over. My Mom, Dad, Older Brother, Younger Brother, and I came and visited Grandma for Christmas. We’ve practically been here for the whole month of December. After Christma...
You can never say that you truly visited China until you tried the foods available there. And one of the must haves is hot pot. Hot pot is a very popular food in China, especially for special occasions. The term hot pot is pretty literal, because it is a pot of different foods that could be very spicy. Many things can be in the hot pot. One of the most bizarre foods that I have seen put in the pot was squid. I remembered that my first hot pot experience was one of the best fo...
A meal that I once enjoyed with my family in open air would remain in my memories forever. Situated near the valley of Kaghan, Tuscany courtyard lies in an area that has its physical ambience unparalleled to everything. A picturesque landscape with lush green lands surrendering to the distant horizon, golden sun shining in the sky that is flawlessly blue, jaw dropping scenes all over the place, along with rocky cliff nested by thousands of sea birds, absolutely blows away the...
I know I didn’t have to go. But out of sixteen others, I knew I had to prove that I was the favorite grandchild, and besides, it couldn’t be that bad, could it? It was a Saturday afternoon when I entered the building ready to have the best nap of my life. It was my family reunion. To some, a family reunion means adventure, hiking and outdoor activities with all of your family. However my family reunions were instead filled with more old people than bunko night over at the ...
I lived a very apathetic life, one that was devoid of love and passion. My life was very static and seemed to show no significant progress. And to top that off, I was ambivalent as well. Or so it seemed to others.In actuality, I am the opposite of everything mentioned above. I was just those types of people that refused to show my inner thoughts and feelings. My demeanor offered no harm to me or to others. But unfortunately that was all a delusion.Here I was eating nothin...
I can remember the time I found out what chitterlings were. I remember the aroma of poop and vinegar. I walked to the kitchen with my sleeve to my noise to ask my grandmother what that smell was. She answered me chitterlings and showed me the pot. I made a face of discus when she showed them to me and asked why they looked like flatted, rubber snake skins. She said that's how they looked and offered me some. I told her no thank you. then my grandpa came into the kitchen and s...
Arguably, Christmas has the best food. Yes, Thanksgiving has turkey and mashed potatoes and stuffing, but Christmas means peanut brittle, pumpkin rolls, and every kind of cake and cookie you could ever dream about. Just thinking about Christmas dinner is enough to make me salivate. That is, as long as there’s no grape juice. I was at that awkward transitioning stage of life where Christmas wasn’t as magical as it used to be. I didn’t wake up at three in the morning from exc...
The delicious smell floats in the air, wafting through every room. When my dad makes cookies, you can smell it throughout our home. Our nostrils tantalized, my siblings and I each drop what we are doing and run down the stairs to the kitchen, where Dad is wielding a spatula, carefully placing the cookie dough on the baking sheet. Listening to our dad whistle a little catchy tune, we all sit around the counter waiting for the cookies to come out of the oven, breathing in the p...
This is how we talk about food:Literally—We whine during fourth period that lunch is so far away, even when it is only next period. We comment on not having had breakfast that morning because we were running late (a.k.a. we were still trying to finish last night’s homework), and then we scrap together our friends’ leftover snacks for a makeshift breakfast. Today, 36% of teens skip breakfast.Comically—We call food “BAE” (Before Anything Else) because it will always be ther...
The age old of saying “Think about your grandma’s cooking.” Typically said to comfort somebody and take to their “happy place”. For me this can be applied as being “Think about your dad’s friends cooking.” Don’t get me wrong here the ladies of my family are absolutely amazing chefs and everyone of their meals is warming and delicious. Though with just one meal for pure comfort it’s going to have to be curry. It has a way of persuading me into pure delight. The taste alone cou...
Every Thanksgiving, I am delighted to share a day with my family and enjoy the wonderful and unique foods. In this annual gathering of my family, we all dig in at our Thanksgiving feast, which consists of the traditional Thanksgiving foods such as delicious turkey, sweet ham, and complimenting mashed potatoes, go great along with a little taste of the Middle East. The original Thanksgiving foods are easily a delight to the senses, but along with our homemade Mideast foods, th...
Usually, every year my family gets together for Thanksgiving. My family plans a day to get together either the day of Thanksgiving or before, if Thanksgiving is on a weekday. We all get together grandparents' house because it is the biggest house of all our family. Every person has to bring a favorite food they like, so everyone can try it. So, we usually have around 10 to 15 new foods every year. We set up everything outside, set up the table, hear up the food, and usually h...
I distinctly remember a seafood dinner in Florida over Christmas break last year. After a long, arduous journey from Key Biscayne, we finally reached the Rusty Pelican after what seemed like a three-hour drive (My dad took three wrong turns!). We parked our car and headed into a building that resembled a rustic, almost metallic shanty on the outside. Upon entering a petite girl welcomed and guided us to our table. The restaurant was a fine dining establishment, with an exquis...
Food and nutrition play a very important role in our lives. While food gives us pleasure, it is also essential. While I am writing this essay, I do not think about the artsy or delicious food that I have eaten, I rather think about the hungry people who do not even have the luxury to dream about the food that I eat.Food gathers people together. Chefs try to improve food everyday by adding new materials or changing their texture, millions of new types of food are produced an...
I found myself in front of a seafood restaurant, in Annapolis, unaware that a complete change of my lifestyle would take place because of it. Seafood was my family’s version of a turkey dinner because my brother and dad loved it. I, however, despised that awful smelling category of food altogether. Anyway, my brother, eager to keep our ‘Seafood for Thanksgiving’ tradition alive, practically pushed me into the restaurant despite my obvious reluctance. “Ugh! Do we have to eat a...
As a teenager raised in a Chinese family, I am well aware that food is everything. But it has never included Fourth of July hamburgers or Thanksgiving pumpkin pie. Rather, Thanksgiving is a four-day break, passing through like any weekend. My excuse? Cranberry sauce is unhealthy, mashed potatoes are fattening, and stuffing is full of empty calories. When I was younger, I struggled to understand the reason that my family never had Thanksgiving banquets, something so Americ...
Food. What do you think of when you hear that word? Frozen pizza, perhaps, or ice cream. Cookies, lasagna, apples and bananas - food is vast and endless in its variety. One whiff or a single taste can bring you to a different time, a different place, even a different life. So what do you think of when you hear the word 'food'? How rude of me; who am I to be asking all of the questions? Upon hearing the magical 'f-word', I personally have an explosion of a seemingly insignific...
Everyday, we use ourselves to advantages that we know we have. Just today I took seven test in all one math class, each three minutes each. Speed Testing is what my teacher calls it. I don't believe there is something needed as much. So, When I finished before everybody else, my teacher said that I was wrong. Really? well i got my test back and they were all A's. Yeah I was wrong...
Voracious. That’s the world I’d use to describe myself. Though the quickest eater with the hugest appetite in the family, I always left the table in mess after a meal, with portions of food scattered everywhere. My mother would always squint at me during mealtimes, wondering aloud if I’d ever mature enough to impress guys with my superb table manners. Most of the times I’d never even bother to look up from devouring the dishes and my mom would just sigh. ...
When I toasted my English muffin that morning, I automatically knew what would accompany it – peanut butter. However, it would not be the spoonfuls that my mom willingly plopped on her bread, or the itty-bitty smear some people used as to not ingest too many calories. I enjoyed a thin sheet of the creamy substance, spread from the center of the muffin to about a quarter-inch from the edge. It was a habit that had developed during my days at an eating disorder treatment cente...
My family is a very unique one, for many reasons. The first, while seemingly unrelated to food entirely, is actually one of the key components in this food-based story. My family, the Pettys, loves nicknames. From my sister Gus (yes, I said sister) to my cousin Blup to me, Cat D’Wild, we all have one. Even our pets. This is the story of my aunt’s eccentric Sheltie, Pig Dog, and the origins of her unflattering nickname. Let’s establish first and foremost who the Pettys are, ...
The Holidays, 2 months of family, friends, food. To me the Holidays are important in a lot of ways. They can be catalysts for unlikely conversations with friends as well as family. Personally I feel the Holidays often bring out the best in people, it's a time where people almost feel obligated to be happy. Opposites attract in the sense that the best moods are brought out in the worst of weather. Some might say more importantly, the food is the best during the holidays. Hol...