Writing Community for Teens

Teen BloggingTeen Blogging:  Share a Story.  Enter Writing Contests...

Stage of Life® is a teen writing community dedicated to teen bloggers.  Get involved with our teen blogging mission: Share a life experience, enter our monthly, national writing contests for high school students, explore our teen trends and student statistics, check out inspirational movies about high school students, save money with our coupons for students, and so much more. Whether you're a freshman or a senior, we look forward to providing you an online journal to blog about your life.  Get started now...

Enter StageofLife.com teen writing contest Twitter writing contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for students on StageofLife.com
Enter the monthly national writing contest for students: Nov. 2014

"Food for Thought"
Or...don't have a lot of time?
Enter our new, "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.

Student Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com
Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's coupon code from StageofLife.com     Lenovo computer discount for Stage of Life members

Essay Winners

Recent Teen Writing Contest Winners

Teen Blogging WinnersWinning Teen EssayBefore you scroll down to read the essays being submitted by our teen writers and bloggers, let's celebrate the recent essay winners.  If you want to see if your essay was a finalist - check out our monthly teen trend report summary for each writing contest.

Teen Writing Contest Details

Read Teen Stories and Writing Contest Essays

This is how we talk about food:Literally—We whine during fourth period that lunch is so far away, even when it is only next period. We comment on not having had breakfast that morning because we were running late (a.k.a. we were still trying to finish last night’s homework), and then we scrap together our friends’ leftover snacks for a makeshift breakfast. Today, 36% of teens skip breakfast.Comically—We call food “BAE” (Before Anything Else) because it will always be ther...
The age old of saying “Think about your grandma’s cooking.” Typically said to comfort somebody and take to their “happy place”. For me this can be applied as being “Think about your dad’s friends cooking.” Don’t get me wrong here the ladies of my family are absolutely amazing chefs and everyone of their meals is warming and delicious. Though with just one meal for pure comfort it’s going to have to be curry. It has a way of persuading me into pure delight. The taste alone cou...
Every Thanksgiving, I am delighted to share a day with my family and enjoy the wonderful and unique foods. In this annual gathering of my family, we all dig in at our Thanksgiving feast, which consists of the traditional Thanksgiving foods such as delicious turkey, sweet ham, and complimenting mashed potatoes, go great along with a little taste of the Middle East. The original Thanksgiving foods are easily a delight to the senses, but along with our homemade Mideast foods, th...
Usually, every year my family gets together for Thanksgiving. My family plans a day to get together either the day of Thanksgiving or before, if Thanksgiving is on a weekday. We all get together grandparents' house because it is the biggest house of all our family. Every person has to bring a favorite food they like, so everyone can try it. So, we usually have around 10 to 15 new foods every year. We set up everything outside, set up the table, hear up the food, and usually h...
I distinctly remember a seafood dinner in Florida over Christmas break last year. After a long, arduous journey from Key Biscayne, we finally reached the Rusty Pelican after what seemed like a three-hour drive (My dad took three wrong turns!). We parked our car and headed into a building that resembled a rustic, almost metallic shanty on the outside. Upon entering a petite girl welcomed and guided us to our table. The restaurant was a fine dining establishment, with an exquis...
Food and nutrition play a very important role in our lives. While food gives us pleasure, it is also essential. While I am writing this essay, I do not think about the artsy or delicious food that I have eaten, I rather think about the hungry people who do not even have the luxury to dream about the food that I eat.Food gathers people together. Chefs try to improve food everyday by adding new materials or changing their texture, millions of new types of food are produced an...
I found myself in front of a seafood restaurant, in Annapolis, unaware that a complete change of my lifestyle would take place because of it. Seafood was my family’s version of a turkey dinner because my brother and dad loved it. I, however, despised that awful smelling category of food altogether. Anyway, my brother, eager to keep our ‘Seafood for Thanksgiving’ tradition alive, practically pushed me into the restaurant despite my obvious reluctance. “Ugh! Do we have to eat a...
As a teenager raised in a Chinese family, I am well aware that food is everything. But it has never included Fourth of July hamburgers or Thanksgiving pumpkin pie. Rather, Thanksgiving is a four-day break, passing through like any weekend. My excuse? Cranberry sauce is unhealthy, mashed potatoes are fattening, and stuffing is full of empty calories. When I was younger, I struggled to understand the reason that my family never had Thanksgiving banquets, something so Americ...
Food. What do you think of when you hear that word? Frozen pizza, perhaps, or ice cream. Cookies, lasagna, apples and bananas - food is vast and endless in its variety. One whiff or a single taste can bring you to a different time, a different place, even a different life. So what do you think of when you hear the word 'food'? How rude of me; who am I to be asking all of the questions? Upon hearing the magical 'f-word', I personally have an explosion of a seemingly insignific...
Everyday, we use ourselves to advantages that we know we have. Just today I took seven test in all one math class, each three minutes each. Speed Testing is what my teacher calls it. I don't believe there is something needed as much. So, When I finished before everybody else, my teacher said that I was wrong. Really? well i got my test back and they were all A's. Yeah I was wrong...
Voracious. That’s the world I’d use to describe myself. Though the quickest eater with the hugest appetite in the family, I always left the table in mess after a meal, with portions of food scattered everywhere. My mother would always squint at me during mealtimes, wondering aloud if I’d ever mature enough to impress guys with my superb table manners. Most of the times I’d never even bother to look up from devouring the dishes and my mom would just sigh. ...
When I toasted my English muffin that morning, I automatically knew what would accompany it – peanut butter. However, it would not be the spoonfuls that my mom willingly plopped on her bread, or the itty-bitty smear some people used as to not ingest too many calories. I enjoyed a thin sheet of the creamy substance, spread from the center of the muffin to about a quarter-inch from the edge. It was a habit that had developed during my days at an eating disorder treatment cente...
My family is a very unique one, for many reasons. The first, while seemingly unrelated to food entirely, is actually one of the key components in this food-based story. My family, the Pettys, loves nicknames. From my sister Gus (yes, I said sister) to my cousin Blup to me, Cat D’Wild, we all have one. Even our pets. This is the story of my aunt’s eccentric Sheltie, Pig Dog, and the origins of her unflattering nickname. Let’s establish first and foremost who the Pettys are, ...
The Holidays, 2 months of family, friends, food. To me the Holidays are important in a lot of ways. They can be catalysts for unlikely conversations with friends as well as family. Personally I feel the Holidays often bring out the best in people, it's a time where people almost feel obligated to be happy. Opposites attract in the sense that the best moods are brought out in the worst of weather. Some might say more importantly, the food is the best during the holidays. Hol...
Hi , this is a story of food . This is my lifestyle . okay , here is how it begins . Few years ago , my grandpa when he was still alive , he loves cooking . He always cook delicious and scrumptious meals from my family and i . We never complaint how grandpa food was like because it was priceless . You wouldn't get such delicious food ever in your life . My favourite dish that he cooks is "tau fu pok" which is something like the skin of tofu with fillings of fish and por...
One of my most favorite food is Mazaclan Tacos. My mom makes the best out of all my aunts. Just don’t tell them that. They are made of potatoes and beef that is boiled to perfection, folded into a tortilla then fried. Topped with chopped lettuce, tomato, queso fresco, and a special sauce made with spices and broth. Every bite filled with chunks of potato and beef that sizzles in your mouth as the golden brown tortilla crunches. The tacos remind me of my family when I eat the...
Right after all the Halloween costumes have disappeared and right before all the Christmas toys have entered the stores, there is a short time families don't come together for presents and food. They come together for just food and family itself. This of course is the to short, unappreciated time of giving thanks: Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving, ah, yes the wonderful food and family get together sharing of all those good memories and sadness too. Thanksgiving meant som...
There is no doubt that my favorite place to eat is California Pizza Kitchen. I still remember my first time eating here. I was about four years old, and one of the smartest kids in the my school. I just got my report card and had straight A's. As a reward my dad decided to take my mom and me to dinner. When he asked us what where we wanted to go, I said In-N-Out without hesitating. My dad looked at me and told me, "Lets go somewhere new for a change." I was really sad when he...
hey guys, Usually during the Holladay season my family and I go to my grandpa's house(I say grandpa because my grandma and grandpa are divorced)anyway my family consists of me, my dad and mom and my two brothers and usually my aunts and uncles and cousins are there too. My "step grandma" I guess that is what she would be classified as...right? She usually does the cooking and its always Mexican food... (I’m Mexican) so that's why. But it’s very good after that we just talk, ...
My memories make me who I am. I have never been the one to like being the center of attention. I have always been happy just watching from the sidelines and never being part of the group. Recently though I have joined my schools robotics team and have made many new memories in the short time I have been a part of it. We went to a Mexican restaurant one night after a competition. There were two long tables for all the members to sit at. I sat at the table with the people I was...
Ratatouille is a movie with a great vivid depiction of what food makes people feel. My favorite scene is when the main character, a street rat, tries to show the others that food does not only serves to fill your tummy but provides a sensation that is quite extraordinary. This movie really inspired me to savor food instead of just gobbling it down, in order to enjoy the taste as it lands upon the textured surface of your tongue. Although the power of my taste buds puzzles me...
Meals with Memories Jean Anthelme once said “Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are.” Food is what shapes us and culture, it nourishes our bodies, helps us grow and maintain life. But besides that it strengthens the bonds between people, creates family traditions, and memories that will be cherished. In my experience, food has served as a way to learn about new cultures. There’s...
Food for Thought: The Memories We Cooked Up in the Kitchen Ever since I was little, I had a love for food and cooking. Being surrounded by aunts and grandparents who were all kitchen fanatics really caught my attention. As I began to grow up I started to watch more and more cooking shows and reading recipes I found in magazines. At one point I was even convinced I had a hidden talent all because I made chocolate covered pretzels. Eventually, when I got to junior high, one o...
Every time winter comes around, I know that its the time when my mom breaks out the frying pan and mixer to start making blinchik. Blinchik is an Russian dish that is very simple, its just a crepe with meat inside of it. After you roll the blinchiks, you have to pan fry them and eat with a little fresh lemon squeezed on top or wrapped in lavash. My mother makes this every year and she makes it for our household and for our close relatives. She makes a lot and we freeze them ...
Anna NazaryanMr./Mrs. DavisHumanitiesBlock 219 November 2014 My Favorite Time in the Kitchen The most memorable food I can relate to is, tabule. Tabule is a traditional type of salad made with many different spices. It may seem to sound like a complex salad, but really it isn’t very difficult to make. It’s ingredients include, lettuce, parsley,black and red pepper, lemon, and finally a armenian spice call...
Thomas Zohrabyan18 November, 2014Aroma of Memories Like most other people, my grandmother's home is like a family-owned restaurant. As you would walk in from the living room door, the aroma of the many different spices and seasonings would hit your nose like a truck and almost instantly, you were mysteriously hungry as if you hadn't eaten in years. I vividly remember as if it were yesterday; my family and extended family were gathered at my grandmother's house fo...
The first thing that comes across my mind during the holidays is a family feast. Christmas Eve is one of the best days of the year for me because all of my relatives come to my house, and we all sit at the table like a big family to have a great time. We make great memories, share lots of stories, and have a huge feast. Out of all the dishes my family brings to the table on Christmas Eve, I have to say that my uncle’s special ribs and the khorovatz(Armenian BBQ), are my all-t...
Food is a symbol of welcoming at my household. Whether you are coming home from vacation, summer camp, or a business trip, my family always offers food for the person who returns and the family they consist of. Now this takes me back to this summer, month of July 2014, and I have been away from home at summer camp for an entire week. My family knows that my favorite food to eat is dolma, or stuffed grape leaves, in English, so they decide to prepare dolma for my return. Dolma...
Liam EstesNovember 11, 2014 Attack of the Buffalo Wild Wings Last summer I visited my brothers and father in Idaho to see my middle brother Preston graduate from high school and to visit for several weeks afterwards. On the day my father left from Idaho, before I did, my brothers and I went to Buffalo Wild Wings to attempt the “Blazin’ Wing Challenge” where twelve of the hottest and spiciest wings they have are dipped in nearly boiling sauce....
The holiday season is the perfect time to rejoice our love for food and embrace the fact that we are gradually becoming more and more pleasantly plump. When I think of food, my mind is immediately transported to all the wonderful Christmases and Thanksgivings that I have spent with my family. Being Armenian, it has always been a part of our culture to eat a lot and center most of our lives around food, whatever the occasion may be. It is your birthday? How about some cake! Yo...