Information and Coupons for Teens

Information for Teens...

Stage of Life - High SchoolDo wonder what it's like to be a high school student?  Maybe you're in middle school and about to enter 9th grade.  Or your son or daughter is about to become a high school student.  Or you're a high school student looking for the latest and greatest information about your amazing stage of life? 

Stage of Life® features statistics, videos, etiquette lessons, quotes, writing contests, news, and more for and about teens.  

Get started now by selecting the category of information below you'd like to explore for this life stage.  Our editors are adding new information regularly so check back often for new content.

Enjoy!

--Stage of Life Editorial Team

Coupons for Teens1) Coupons for Teens and High School Students

Are you a teenager looking to save money?  Check out the merchants who have some special offers for you.  Save between 5% and 50% with Stage of Life's free MyLifeRewards® savings program

Coupons for Teens

Etiquette for Teens2) Etiquette about Teens

Do you have a question for our Stage of Life Etiquette coach, Jay, about teen manners or civility?  Submit your etiquette question to Stage of Life and have some fun reading the other questions and answers we've received.  You may just learn an important etiquette lesson!

Etiquette for teens

Financial tips for teens3) Financial Tips for Teens

As part of its financial literacy mission, Stage of Life features key articles and content about living a financially sound life.  Check out articles such as the Top 10 Financial Tips for Life and more...

Finanical Tips for Teens

Generational information4) Generational Information

Have you ever wondered what's the difference between a Millennial, Gen X, or Baby Boomer?  Wonder no longer.  Take some time to view the generational detail about the five major generations alive today from Gen Z to the Silent Generation.

Goal setting for teens5) Goal Setting for High School Students

For the last half decade, Stage of Life has been proud to provide its free Goal Setting worksheet for teens.  It's now one of the top ranked Goal Setting Worksheets on Google and has been used by over 100,000 students, parents and teachers.  Download it free here.

Goal setting for teens

Entertainment for Teens6) Entertainment about High School Students

Looking for books, movies, and music about high school students?  Look no further.  Check out our Editor-generated list of must-view media about this life stage

Entertainment for Teens

News about Teens7) News about Teens

In partnership with PRNewswire, Stage of Life consolidates news stories about teens and high school students.  Check out the latest news stories about this stage in your life.

News about high school and teens

Quotes about Teens8) Quotations about Teens

Looking for some inspirational or funny quotes by famous people about teenagers?  We've found a bunch.  And you can submit more for us to feature too!

Quotes about Teens

Statistics about Teens9) Statistics about Teenagers | High School Students

Finding credible statistics about teens and high school is a daunting task.  We've taken some of the work for you as our Editors comb through major publications and research to present the most relevant statistics

Statisitcs about teens

Videos for Teens10) Videos about High School Students

If you want to watch some interesting, inspirational, or funny videos tailored to high school students, check out the collection of YouTube picks our Editors have complied...

Videos for Teens

Must Visit Websites for Teens11) Must Visit Websites for Teens

We've compiled a list of must visit websites for high school students.  And we're always looking for more suggestions if you're aware of a website that every teenager should know about.  Check out the list here...

Must Visit Websites for Teens

Writing contest for high school students12) Writing Contests for High School Students

Stage of Life hosts one of the largest, most-visited writing contests for high school students in the world.  Check out the annual contest rules, submission details, prize package, and more.

Writing contest for high school students

Educational resources for teens13) Educational Resources for Teens

Centered around its digital and financial literacy missions, Stage of Life features various educational resources for teens and teachers such as...

Contact Stage of Life14) Contact Us to Share Your Thoughts

Are you looking for something that's missing from our content?  Or have ideas or suggestions for things we should add to our High School Stage of Life?  Contact us with your ideas!

Contact us

• September - Annual Contest begins!
  • Summer - Editorial Break
  • April | May - Judging Now
  • February | March - Judging Now
  • January - Be the Change

Essay Winners

Teen Writing Contest Winners

Teen Blogging WinnersWinning Teen EssayStage of Life has welcomed over 1 million high school students as part of its international writing contests.  Thousands of students have participated with essay submissions.  We celebrate the winners on our essay winners page.  These student writers are some of the best in the world, and we've been fortunate to have Stage of Life submissions featured on TIME.com and other publications who recognize the talent of the students submitting work through StageofLife.com

Teen Writing Contest Winners

Read Teen Stories and Writing Contest Essays

I was a child of habit. Every day, I would repeatedly draw the same simple image: a door. They were no masterpieces--shakenly-drawn rectangles in blue ballpoint pen that were always accompanied with a fluorescent, highlighter-yellow doorknob--but I drew approximately fifteen of them daily nevertheless. I was obsessed not with individual doors, but with their progression. I always started with a tiny rectangle and expanded it gradually until the final door fit barely within th...
Happiness was in front of me but I didn’t see it. There are many things that can provide us with happiness but it’s difficult to know what they are exactly, at times it’s hard to see happiness when it’s in front of us. My mother always told me, “If you go outside, you’ll see so many ways that you will go some day. You have to see which way is better for you.” I had two paths, happiness and sadness. I didn’t know which way to go because it was too difficult to choose between m...
Before my brother Eric was hit with depression, he was a 10th grader with a high GPA and overflowing confidence about the future. Gradually I saw his signature smile fading away and being replaced by reticence and resentment. Along with his nose-diving grades was his alienation from his friends and his hostility toward me. Within months he turned from a caring elder brother to a cold stranger. He built a wall around him that completely separated the two of us. Things got...
Life is complicated. There are wars, conflicts, misfortune and all the other negative things that make up the world. In my view, the secret to happiness is what I deduce as ‘seeing in the dark.’ Think of life as a recipe. In this recipe, there would be two main ingredients. Good things and bad things. The secret to happiness is being able to see through the bad things. Life isn’t simple – it’s not possible for someone to be happy all their life. There are obstacles of pai...
As I laid on the dusty mattress in the private hotel I couldn’t get rid of a miserable headache. I looked around me not understanding how anybody could deal with such pain. I knew it wasn’t from stress or fatigue because my family and I were on a vacation in Peru 12,500 feet above the ground. I decided to join my parents on a short hike up a hill to try and rid myself of this feeling. I walked through the dirt trail as the cold, wispy wind cut through my hair effortlessly. Ev...
The secret to happiness is being who you want to be. You won't have a happy life if you are being someone else so you can be liked by other people. You are made to be yourself not pretend to someone else who you really aren't. People will like you for who you really are. Everyone is different we are all meant to be different it won't be fun if we all were the same. There are so many secrets to happiness we all have differents secrets to happines. There always someone differe...
For me, what makes me happy is doing what I love, and though doing what I love isn’t 100% happy all the time, they are still making me happy. A few things I love are, books, movies, tv shows, (collecting those things in print or on DVD,) music, my phone, (because it has websites where I can find really cool things like quotes from books, etc.,) I love writing about things I’m passionate about, and I love talking to people about things I love. Those things all make me happy, a...
When I was ten, pretty was all I wanted to be, like one of those Vogue stars- tall, skinny and flawless, undeniably. When I was thirteen, I hated mirrors for it was a shame, what I grew up to be. As time passed by, I realized, the judgments weren't worth it, the stereotypes weren't worth it, I was.In a world so huge, so vast, so wonderful as this, why is it that we forget to live, to laugh? Why is it that we try so hard despite knowing that we're all beautiful in the most u...
The Secret of Happiness: Obeying God’s Commandment The secret of happiness is obeying God’s commandment but I like to first give an insight to what may determine the happiness of people. Happiness is a state of being happy and it is mostly triggered by an experience. Happiness cannot only be derived from things we can see. Happiness can also be as a result of things that we can imagine, for example, merely thinking about being in the best places of the world bri...
For a good portion of my life, I have struggled with the most infamous of all illnesses: the stomach bug. After extensive research on this seemingly common, yet annoying sickness, I stumbled across an obscure article hidden in the depths of the Internet. The title read: “Gluten: A Harmless Monster.” Desperate for an answer, and quite tired of searching for one, I had convinced myself beyond a doubt that I had a gluten-allergy by the time I had finished reading the article. M...
The Secret of Happiness: Philanthropy What is Happiness? If you look up the word 'happiness' in a dictionary, you will see that it refers to a state of pleasure. But if you ask different people what happiness means to them, you will probably get antithetical answers. For a farmer, happiness is having a good monsoon and harvesting season. For parents, happiness is seeing their child's triumph. But for me, happiness is something else entirely. For me, happiness is philanthro...
The secret to happiness is you. Don’t roll your eyes, it’s true. Just as you control what you eat or what you wear, you control your feelings too. In other words, don’t be the “half-empty” person or the George R. R. Martin who kills all their characters. By being the person who sees everything as tragedy, are you even providing yourself with a positive option? Instead, be the one who is half-full, the John Green, if you will. One who can make you cry, yet more often, make you...
Keep eye contact. Listen. Sip. Laugh. Speak. Do a couple hand gestures. Laugh some more. Sip. Nod and continue this process for no less than 2 hours, usually 4, at most the whole day. What am I talking about? Balkan coffee, more specifically, Croatian coffee.When starting my student exchange 10 months ago to Croatia, I quickly learned a key factor to the Croatian way of life: Coffee. My eyebrows shot up in surprise while my mouth caught several gnats when my host sister t...
Let me begin by asking the deep, age-old question often queried about in philosophy classes: what is happiness, exactly? And let me parry that with my own question. Why does anybody still wonder about this? And let me continue further on with that: Why does anybody care? Because, if you think about it, it is pretty obvious that happiness comes in too many forms for us to count. Happiness is that feeling of pure, clean, utter joy, the stuff that toddlers enjoy on a daily basi...
It was a bad day.The screeching alarm clock shocked me from my sleep.Still drowsy from staying up the night before, I threw the alarm clock acrossthe room. With mom yelling from downstairs, I cursed under my breath and draggedmyself out from the warm covers.Like any other day, I woke up and readied myself.As I slipped into a plain white t-shirt and a pair of jeans, I slammedmy foot against the bedroom closet.I sank back in pain, but held back a scream, knowi...
Happiness is simply a word but it has different meanings in different situations.When you do well in exams you feel happy. Having a joint family with a tight bond of trust and respect is a happiness. Sleeping in the middle of your mom and dad is happiness. Being your dad's princess is a happiness. Meeting someone after a long time is a happiness. Having Ice Cream, Chocolates and Cupcakes is an ultimate bliss.So basically happiness has no definition of its own. It can come t...
Happiness comes easiest to a child.Most of their desires are simple: an ice cream cone with chocolate sprinkles, a sheet of paper and an array of colors to draw with, or even a hug from their parents on a dim day.But perhaps the reason children are more frequently happier than adults is because they’re young. Their minds are fresh, fragile, easily impressionable, and, most importantly, full of wonder. A child is happy because they can find wonder in anything: among a si...
Days wherein you eat, listen to music, achieve something, spending time with others and in every little or big things, confess it or not, you experienced the thrill of walking on air. In times when we’re heart-broken, happiness doesn’t try and woo us, instead, it depends on the strength that lies in the greatest weakness we have in our frail selves.Spending nights without sleep, I’m sure you’ve experienced that. Cramming for tests just before the day it happens sounds so ba...
The word happiness itself describes it's previous value. Happiness is one kind of feeling but rather than a feeling it's a choice to one. Nothing will make one happy until one choose to be happy.Life is a mixture of acids .The acids include the sorrows, pains, betrayal, broken heart. This acids are so strong that within a few days this acids makes the human soul black stained, leaves scars, make it rusted and it gets damaged. During the diffusion of acid in our soul we re...
I know I am suppose to be ecstatic for the great adventures that will come during my high school years, but something in me just can't feel it. I'm scared all my friends and I will not be so much as friends anymore, but just acquaintances. Does that seem juvenile of me? All I want from high school is to have friends that will be through it with me. Anyways, that's just all high school seems to be to me. I try to read blogs, good ones, where they have good times in high school...
The secret to happiness is to find family. Family doesn't mean your relatives, and it isn't determined by genes, DNA, or any high school biology term. Blood and genetics determine your relatives, family is determined by love. As cheesy as it may sound, it’s the truth.There is no correct answer to the question "what's the opposite of happiness?" However, I believe the opposite is loneliness. Some may say the opposite is sadness, anger, or negativity. Even though these thin...
Inside all human hearts is a desire to worship something/someone. Back to the beginning of time humans have been searching for that right thing or someone. In ancient times, most would worship literal statues; these were made by human hands attempting to fill that emptiness in their heart. In present times, worshiping a statue seems foolish; although we are still stuck with that same desire: to worship something bigger than ourselves, something that will love us back uncondit...
When most people think of happiness; they think of optimism, love, altruism, and acceptance. Of course, these are all contributing factors to living a happy and generally good life. Giving and loving and being selfless are things that we all need; but the true key that unlocks happiness is not always doing everything you can for others; but doing everything you possibly can for yourself once in a while, too. If are not able to take care of yourself and ensure your happiness; ...
The secret to happiness is yourself. You can be happy only if you let yourself be happy. Yes, your happiness can be through sports, family, activities that you do, etc. but you have to enjoy those things. We as human beings tend to hold on to the bad memories and that can result in unhappiness. You can't be forced to like something. Think about what makes you happy. Now take that and think about if you didn't have it anymore. Would you be happy? You are the only one that ...
Maybe it's the environment or perhaps society that restricts your happiness, maybe it's the people that surround you like your parents or friends. It could be the time slipping that limits your satisfaction in life, or just maybe, it's you. Over the course of my life, I learned that In spite of myriad factors that contribute to affecting the contentedness of an individual, the most significant factor lies in the hands of that very own individual. Me. Though it may be...
 One day there was a girl. She was very demanding. Rather than being happy about what she got she demands more, she always followed what her friends had. One day when she went to the school she saw most of her friends got smart phones from their parents on the eve of new year and they all were showing off in front of their classmates, while watching this she got jealous and the next day she nagged before her parents for a smart phone because she was having only one old phone ...
Have you ever expected others to achieve something but they disappointed you? You may possibly get angry and frustrated because of this. But why are we upset about the what we do not have instead of appreciating what we have? I used to feel frustrated on which I didn’t achieve but something changed my point of view recently. I used to think scoring high marks make me the happiest. To strike for the best, I do most of the things whenever there is group project as others’ wo...
I wrote this when I was in 7th grade:“Many Americans have misconceptions on the idea of happiness. They are influenced and driven by what other people think of being happy. This contradicts the idea of being merry, nevertheless, makes it darker. Instead of enjoying their life to fullest, they are constantly worried about “achieving the American dream”. Happiness should be something that comes from everyday activities; something that makes one happy even if he/she does not s...
YOLO. You only live once. This statement has been very effective for me when I am stressing over my projects in school. There are times when I think of giving up already due to my incapability to achieve my goals. Yet I always have in mind the statement YOLO, to keep me going. I may be encountering a lot of struggles and problems in life but I never lose hope in believing that I can overcome them. That's the secret of happiness for me. It is all on treasuring every moment in ...
There is a flicker of something raw, so real and pure. The tiny flame is relentless, and it explodes into a shower of fireworks. It is difficult to conceal and is manifested in a smile, one that tugs at your lips like a child who pulls at your arm and asks to play. It is invincible, and suddenly you are invincible as well, under a blanket of happiness.The secret of happiness is elusive; specialists have authored countless books dedicated to finding it, scientists have publi...