Writing Community for Teens

Teen BloggingTeen Blogging:  Share a Story.  Enter Writing Contests...

Stage of Life® is a teen writing community dedicated to teen bloggers.  Get involved with our teen blogging mission: Share a life experience, enter our monthly, national writing contests for high school students, explore our teen trends and student statistics, check out inspirational movies about high school students, save money with our coupons for students, and so much more. Whether you're a freshman or a senior, we look forward to providing you an online journal to blog about your life.  Get started now...

Enter StageofLife.com teen writing contest Twitter writing contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for students on StageofLife.com
Enter the monthly national writing contest for students: Oct. 2014

"Story of a Scar"
Or...don't have a lot of time?
Enter our new, "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.

Student Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com
Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's coupon code from StageofLife.com     Lenovo computer discount for Stage of Life members

Essay Winners

Recent Teen Writing Contest Winners

Teen Blogging WinnersWinning Teen EssayBefore you scroll down to read the essays being submitted by our teen writers and bloggers, let's celebrate the recent essay winners.  If you want to see if your essay was a finalist - check out our monthly teen trend report summary for each writing contest.

Teen Writing Contest Details

Read Teen Stories and Writing Contest Essays

Reading is my passion and my scar is an open book. I gingerly run my fingers across my upper right eyebrow while I look at myself in my bathroom mirror. People don't notice my scar, they don't read my scar as I do. They don't judge the book by its cover, but it's as if they don't realize the book exists at all. Why have a book that can't be talked about at book club?"How did you get that?" they would ask and would I say, "It's a long story." They would sit down next to me. ...
Though her despair remains locked inside, her heart continues to get stronger, slowly... with time. As she walks down the street with the sun peeking through the clouds, the bright, fall leaves scattered about the sidewalk, she reminisces about the happy times she shared with her father. The moments they created, the smiles they exchanged, the love that kept them together. Her first love, her best friend, her partner in crime. What happened to such a friendship? Almost seven ...
It all happened when I was walking down the stairs and I step down on a broken piece of a candle glass. First I didn't feel nothing but two seconds later I felt it , Its was 8 1/2'' and 3 inches deep. I had to get stiches and had to walk on crutches for 2 months just for it to heal . This is the story of my beautiful scar....
As a a freshman in high school and middle schooler, I was always very active. My body type is more of an athletic, strong build so I did well in sports. But, because of school pressure and actually wanting a social life, I made the decision to drop out of sports for the sake of my free time (and my sanity). Well, that's when I really started to notice them- and anyone woman/girl will know what I'm talking about.They are these cursed, little jaggedly lines that show up all o...
When I was about 6 I got a scar on my upper forehead. I was at my grandfather’s house for Christmas. The whole family was there my mom, brother, aunt, cousins and grandparents. My cousin had just got a life size stuffed animal (person) of homer Simpson…I know crazy right. My brother was chasing me around the house trying to hit me with it. I was running from him and was looking backwards while running…that wasn't very smart of me. We were running from the living room to the k...
Scars: Hidden VulnerabilitiesMy scar is a burn scar. It was given to me by someone I liked very much, at least when I was 12. It’s surprisingly large; I almost needed skin grafts. Now it’s as healed as it’s ever going to be, and it covers most of my back and my right ribcage. You can see where the blisters were, and the drip marks from the boiling water and where the hot metal touched my skin (it was from a kettle full of boiling water). It took six months to heal and get t...
Ever since I could remember, I always had two homes, two bedrooms, and mostly two of everything. Being able to have that always seemed so great, and I thought I was the luckiest girl ever. I never realized what the big deal was when my friends or people I knew complained about having separated parents. It seemed normal to me, and I was perfectly fine with the situation. Until, one day when I was around eleven years old, I had to make a decision that determined how I would li...
I’m afraid all my scars are on my heart. I don’t have too many scars yet, but I know I’ll acquire more and more as time goes on. The thing is, it seems too easy to get scars these days. In the past I feel like it was harder to get scars- you had to be face to face, saying or doing things that hurt someone else, or suffer from a tragic event. Today, scars have an new way accumulate with social media. It’s easier to hurt and be hurt by people nowadays. It's also simpler t...
I had this red wagon: four wheels and a handle in which to steer it. We owned a decently steep driveway and were always forced to stay outside. So, obviously the only option was to ride the wagon from the top of the hill to the bottom. It became a frequent thing for my brother and I to ride down the driveway and stop the wagon at the bottom. It was the only fun thing that we did outside. One day our cousins came over and we gave them a ride. They were hooked and joined...
Scars, they come from life whether they came from misery , anger, or a risky bliss. We all have them,but some of them are only made visable by words. I have both, I was 14 when I was sent to a correctional facility for breaking off the tip of my pencil off in some kid's arm for bullying me. Theycalled me 'Emo' they all laughed at me because I had a scare on my wrist a nail in the wall when I was eight. I never really minded it , I thought it made me look tough. I look back no...
I have many invisible scars, mostly from riding accidents. I don’t have many physical scars but I have a lot of the scars that are in my head. There is one accident that stuck with me the most out of all of them. One of the worst scars in my head is my back injury. My back injury happened about 8 years ago. I remember the exact exercise that we were doing. I was on my horse Nonyak. Nonyak was a Thoroughbred, 16.1 hands, and chestnut. We were supposed to jump with no hands. ...
When you’re 12 years old and your best friend is ripped out of your life you don’t get over that. Losing your best friend to death leaves a scar on your heart.My story is a little sad, but i need you to understand it. My aunt was my best friend. My family still sees a part of her in me. Don’t take any moment for granted, you never know when you might lose it. I spent an entire week with her and the rest of my family in Florida. It was the best times of our lives. Then it end...
When I was in second grade I couldn’t read. No matter how much I tried to get help, my teachers wouldn’t give it to me. They thought I was being a rebel, pretending I couldn’t read. I was often sent to the corner of the room where I sat and wept while the other children read happily. My peers ignored me. Every day, I went around the playground asking them to play, and they said no. I became discouraged and sat by myself. Every night I came home crying to my mother. “Why don’...
For most people, school is a nuisance, but they just get through it. But for some people, school is horrible. The “dreading it the night before, palms sweating as you’re walking to class” kind of horrible. These unlucky few have been chosen, carefully examined and picked over for their specific set of qualifications. Maybe they were chosen for their braces. Or their glasses. Or maybe, their clothes were not of the highest possible brand and quality. All of these things have ...
Have you ever seensomeone being so mean, and were too scared to stop it?People everyday, don’t really know what to say, because they don’t want to be the target. But if you stick up for what is right,we can indeed have a fight,against the bullying that happens everyday.Everyone deserves to be treated kind,or else one day a parent will findsomething that no one will be able to repay.Let’s join together as a oneto put an end to this so called “fun”and make eve...
Imagine Imagine if bullying was no longer a thing. Imagine if we based our happiness not on our own self worth, but on building confidence in those around us. Imagine if instead of focusing on making ourselves better than everyone else, we focused on making everyone the best they can be. Only you know the life you have lived, the struggles you have faced, and the greatness you have contributed. I think it’s time we turn society into an army of happiness and make the world a...
When I was younger I had attended a parochial school from fifth grade onto graduation at eighth. It was a nice school, with a good curriculum, a very pretty church, and teachers who really cared about teaching the students. The kids were sheltered when I came in, and were until graduation. This was different from the kids at my old school, who swore, made inappropriate jokes, and who said the dreaded, “Oh my God” at anything they could. As part of their sheltering, the stu...
Words are WordsBullying comes in all different forms from cyber to physical. Those who are constantly bullied are pushed to their breaking points. Which could potentially cause self harm, or harm to others. Why does bullying have to exist?Bullying occurs because the bully has a lack of self confidence and is insecure. The bully strives for attention and power they receive from their peers from their actions. The bully targets the ones who are outcasts, physically weak, or e...
Nighttime.How lonely it seems...I look out my window.What do I see, but a fire…Oh glistening and pure, fire.The soft flames, roaring like a lion.Fire.I see something more.A sign.But what does it say?Those three words faintly glistening burning into my brain.Fire. It grows closer.Fire.I scream.My soul engulfs in its flames.Fire.I’m trapped, and I run to the bathroom.Trapped.I grab my blade, and scream.Trapped.I see fire everywhere.I’m trapped.I try and t...
My alarm goes off at 5:30. Another day of school, I think as I fight the rising tears from my eyes. Most kids dread the getting up early, classes, and homework too. Not me. I dread the peers, the commenters, and the watchers. I dread the bullies that have haunted my days since the start of junior kindergarten. I get up, get dressed in my uniform, another yellow polo and green plaid jumper, and head down for breakfast. My mom meets me with the same sad look each morning. “Go...
One of my best friends tried to commit suicide in the eighth grade. She came to school, with sweatpants, and bagged and overflowing eyes. We didn’t know why. Everything seemed fine. Online, is where the battlefield was, covered with hate and words that tore at the soul. I didn’t have a Facebook. Neither did my other friends. We didn’t see what people from other schools were saying. Not until her life was in jeopardy.My friend had friends from other schools. I shouldn’t call ...
Walking in the door after school all I hear is my dad yelling. “Are you serious? They are seventh graders they shouldn’t be doing these things? Where was the teacher? This is unacceptable!” I walk into my dad’s home office and see my dad is on the phone. His face is red and the veins pop out of his neck. In the chair is my mom, who is trying to comfort my older brother Elliot as he cries. There’s a huge bandage on his arm. My dad slams the phone down on the table and hangs up...
Stop the HurtIs it seem right to stand by and watch someone get hurt? To get beat? Mentally or physically? It may not seem right, but let’s face it: most of us have done it at some point in our lives. Maybe we haven’t directly seen a physical fight or seen someone verbally bullying with name calling and hurtful words, but almost all of us have seen or heard the bullying behind the scene -- the behind the back comments, the little side remarks, the barely noticeable glances...
The New GirlAt my school, everybody knows everybody. Being the popular girl of the third grade was a big role to take on for the nine and a half year old me. With my witty comments and leadership skills, people looked to me and my core group of friends to decide how to feel about a situation. One day, we had an announcement that a new student would be joining our class. Anxious, I was hoping it would be a cute boy, of course! To my dismay, there was a flat haired gangly g...
Everyday I wake up I wish I wasn’t hereanother day to go witness nasty things I hear.Each day is not the samethese kids all think I’m lame.“Your anorexic! Do you even eat?”but what you don’t know is your words are a beating.I always ask myself, why me?Was it meant to be?One day, I want to stand upbut when I see you I can’t get close up.I want to tell you how I feelbut you always seem to make me peel.My self-esteem has gone down the drainand, of course, no one ...
I think people are just too sensitive. If having people calling you names is the worst thing you go through daily, then your life is easy. Other people have it much worse, like people living in poverty, or kids who have to survive on their own with no help. So stop feeling sorry for yourself and realize if these problems are little compared to others. If people make fun of you, ignore it and keep doing you. Block out all the outside noise and focus on yourself and your goals....
I’m my own bully. No one is as mean or cruel to me as I am. You’re fat!You’re not pretty!You don’t have any friends!These thoughts occurred on the daily. My self esteem withered to a low.An extremely dangerous low.My bully took over. All I heard was her. Putting me down. Everything was always my fault, she told me. I was n...
Stop Bullying Even though I wasn't bullied, I felt like I was. The looks I got, always being one of the last onespicked to be on a team, not having many friends... I felt judged. My classmates in middle school told me “You are weird” and “You do drugs” ... boys would call me “emo”just because I had black hair and wore black eyeliner. I felt left out by my friends; Am I not good enough? I feel the same today. It makes me feel like they don’t want to be around me. ...
FLINTface/ Cullen Eaves Bullying, use of superior strength or influence to intimidate someone, typically to force him or her to do what one wants. That is the definition of bullying and the definition of what I went through in middle school. In middle school I was the quiet and awkward kid just trying to fit in with everyone else. I was trying my best to not be the weird one or the dumb one so I wouldn't get picked on. I always tried to do what everyone did, whether it was...
It all started when I was in the fourth grade. Seven years ago. One kid, Kennan, kept on teasing me and I just ignored him. 5th grade was fun, but my mother had cancer, which kept a dampener on things. She was a stage III Breast cancer patient, and I was getting a lot of homework as well as being verbally abused by more kids now. Then, around comes sixth grade, my mother was close to beating cancer, and everything seemed to be going fine. Except of course, the boys and girls...