Writing Community for Teens

Teen BloggingTeen Blogging:  Share a Story.  Enter Writing Contests...

Stage of Life® is a teen writing community dedicated to teen bloggers.  Get involved with our teen blogging mission: Share a life experience, enter our monthly, national writing contests for high school students, explore our teen trends and student statistics, check out inspirational movies about high school students, save money with our coupons for students, and so much more. Whether you're a freshman or a senior, we look forward to providing you an online journal to blog about your life.  Get started now...

Enter StageofLife.com teen writing contest Twitter writing contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for students on StageofLife.com
Enter the monthly national writing contest for students: Sept. 2014

"Who Are You?"
Or...don't have a lot of time?
Enter our new, "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.

Student Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com
Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's coupon code from StageofLife.com     Lenovo computer discount for Stage of Life members

Essay Winners

Recent Teen Writing Contest Winners

Teen Blogging WinnersWinning Teen EssayBefore you scroll down to read the essays being submitted by our teen writers and bloggers, let's celebrate the recent essay winners.  If you want to see if your essay was a finalist - check out our monthly teen trend report summary for each writing contest.

Teen Writing Contest Details

Read Teen Stories and Writing Contest Essays

I am all of my experiences combined....
A person’s internal and external identity is how they define themselves and what others use to perceive them. The journey to discover one’s identity can take a lifetime, or can be known from birth. It is a combination of traits given to one at birth, and how a culmination of personal experiences throughout their life. For me the knowledge of internal identity a requisite for achieving perpetual happiness. Without realizing my own identity, I am hopeless. Yet my external ident...
I should preface this by establishing the principal that my life seems to revolve around: I do not know who I am. It’s not that I’m so misunderstood, or that I like the edginess the statement lends. It’s that I am a fluctuating thermometer while the weather remains the same. I am all capitals and smooth cursive and spiky letters at the same time. I am the water system on the fritz, erupting and trickling, hot and cold and the lukest of warms. These constant continuity errors...
“Who I am?” was a simple question yet it causes such a difficult answer. In my early, childhood life, I would have answered, “I’m a disappointment” whenever I was continually castigated by my parents for my carelessness in studying and working ethics. Indeed, many time I believed I won’t have a successful future. I wasn’t as talented as my friends who win scholarships and prizes, or athletic as my older brother and sister who championed in sports and fitness. I wasn’t cerebr...
Walking down the industrial sized corridor, knowing what is to come, a feeling of fear washes over me. The dim fluorescent lights and the loud roar of a marching band coming from just a few steps away continuously adds to my uneasy stomach. As I’m turning the corner, nervous sweat seeping through my gloves, it settles, time slows, eventually coming to a complete halt. Before I know it, I’m there. In the tunnel. Looking out at the bright green field, my eyes still adjusting to...

...
I'm the eldest child in my family, and by eldest I mean oldest daughter, granddaughter, niece, and cousin. Generally, the oldest of a family usually is characterized as being responsible, a self-born leader, and confident. As the eldest child in the family, I was left with little choice that to develop mentally at a pace much faster than any of my younger cousins and sibling. My family kind of expected me to be self-sufficient at an earlier age than most kids are. This probab...
Personalities are too diverse to be labeled; one word cannot define who a person is. Humans are a great number of things, who they are is undefinable by a short vocabulary list. One word cannot encompass the definition of a single person. It is impossible to capture every important detail about a person, because so many things can be unconnected. In my case I have been on a personal journey since seventh grade to discover myself. The journey begins with my ancestral roots. I...
Identity- what exactly makes me who I am? Is it who my parents are, where I live, or my favorite sport? My name is Sydney Driver. I was born and raised in Georgia to Nicole and Jeremy Driver. My father and mother grew up living along the same street and were high school sweet hearts. Seeing the love they share makes me a romantic. I have been blessed with four amazing siblings. One of which is my twin. My parents desire for a big family makes me want nothing more than to ha...
It is a typical Thursday night at Walmart. The parking lot is a chaotic mess. Inside the store, the aisles are flooded with people. I anxiously enter through the front door to make my way back to greet my old coworker, I scan the store and see people in groups laughing and enjoying each others company. These groups of people don’t even see me and cut me off. Left out is all I feel. Why can’t I have groups of friends like these. I finally arrive after playing a dodging game w...
All my life there have been things and concepts that have stumped me, but every time I would be determined to understand that in which was unknown to me, whether it be simple addition, the spelling of antidisestablishmentarianism, and even as far as aspects of physics beyond the comprehension of those around me. Each of these discoveries lead me to the search, no, yearn for knowledge, and the power one feels when in the presence of truth. Through all the discoveries i have...
You aren't born with being strong, the challenges you face makes you strong. Some people say you identity makes you who you are. It tells you how far you have came in life. It also shows you what situations made you the way you are today. You find your identity by the problems that impact you the most; every heartbreak, every time you felt like you couldn't move on , or you couldn't be somebody. Your identity is not something you get to decide in two days. It takes time , it ...
I am a person who is going through life learning constantly, being shaped by those around me. So far, I think I’ve turned out pretty good. The people who really shaped me to be who I am are my parents, they have taught me so many different things. I would describe myself as a nice, kind, generous, happy and extremely energetic person. One more thing I should add is I can be a tad mischievous at times. I do things once in a while that I have fun doing and gives others around m...
My identity has been shaped by the melodies of the greats. It has been stretched by the long, lingering jam sessions of The Grateful Dead, cut and sharpened by the grinding riffs of Keith Richards; cooed and coaxed by the sweet voice of James Taylor, and ignited by the inspirational anthems of Queen. Like music that flows from speakers, my identity flows around me, inviting anyone who is willing to listen to its rhythm. Music was there for me during the hardest days o...
Did you know that we all have individual tongue prints? Fingerprints and unique facial spacing are all great when identifying someone through physical features, but aren’t exactly identity. A better question would be, "Who are you?" So, who am I? I am Aja Weary. I am artistic, creative, and autistic. Full of love, care, wisdom and advice, I inspire many of those around me who know me or my past. I hold my own, not letting others change who I truly am, yet willing enough to ...
I’ve never been all that great at writing so I’m struggling a little bit with how I can explain who I am to you in 500 words. There is not one word or phrase that can accurately encompass who I am as a person, so with these 500 words I’ll tell you a little bit about myself. By the end of this essay you’ll know a little more about me than the average stranger would but I can’t promise you’ll have any idea who I am; so without further ado, ladies and gentlemen, my 500 words!I ...
Who are you? - A question that requires you to know your very identity. I define identity as who someone is, the way one thinks of themself, and the characteristics that define that person. It seems so simple, yet so many people struggle with this question that is so important to know the answer to.Sadly, I fit in with the general population; I do not have an easy answer to this question. I struggle on a daily basis juggling the two people that I am. One could say I am havin...
I am a short, dark boy whose life setting has always been Ghana. Undoubtedly my identity transcends beyond my appearance and my origin. Deep down, I’m a boy so ‘learned’ and ambitious, seeking to utilize the slightest opportunity and yearning to sound the bells of his inner voice. Growing up, I wasn’t vulnerable to society’s limiting generalizations. Rather than accepting that I’m limited by the very fact that I’m a Ghanaian, that engineering is no politi...
My whole life has been an amalgam of opposites. I grew up in a dichotomous world and learned to form my own experiential opinions with a family who didn’t need to worry about running out of money, and yet budgeted constantly. My father was an engineer, and my mother a writer. Where my dad hated the system, a republican who worked for the government and begrudged every minute of it, my democratic mother hailed it. Where my father found comfort in consistency, and optimized eve...
“I’ll see you tomorrow.” These four simple words are the four words that forever changed the way that I would identify myself. These were the last four words that I ever spoke to my grandmother. That night I walked out of the hospital thinking over what I would say to her the following day. I would tell her I loved her and apologize for all the times I wasn’t the best granddaughter. I had a lot of things that I desperately needed to get off my chest. I knew the situation was ...
To stand out in a crowd is hard. To be brave is hard. It comes easily to some people but to most its heart wrenchingly difficult. But the difference it makes is not only justifying but life changing to the world around you. Being stacked against the odds when the world turns on you makes all the fighting harder as it knocks you down like a wall of bricks tumbling, cascading over each other until you are suffocating underneath it trying to unearth your way out. Trust me; it is...
In 2005, the iconic Steve Jobs boldly stated at his Stanford Commencement speech, “Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice." This instrumental adage greatly applied to the quest in which my own identity was found; but before this self can be defined, one must take into account my background. Moreover, I was born in Chester County, Pennsylvania of the United States of America to Muslim, African born, first generation immigrants of Indian d...
Who am I? - I believe I am who I am based on experiences that I have gone through and the paths I have walked through during my life. these paths and experiences helped me build up who I am today. My friends and family also have been there on that path with me and guiding me. they have helped me realize the person I have become because of the teachings and ways I have caught from them. When I was a freshman in high school, I had trouble with walking in front of peop...
Throughout my high school years, I’ve wondered “Who am I really?” I always felt so lost and left out. I always thought that I was just a tiny girl who was surrounded by people that would never notice me or accept me. The standards that I was facing in high school would stand in my way of figuring out who I really am. As months passed by, I decided that maybe I should just walk over those standards and be myself, who I really want to be. I dressed however I wanted a...
People are hard to understand, we can barely understand what makes work yet we have all these different attributes that makes us who we are as a whole being. Let me introduce myself, hi my name is Alex but you can call me Shady, I’m 16 and my favorite things to do is play Xbox, write music, and hangout with the homies. Now let’s get into a little deeper subject religion. I am a catholic and I have my reasons for being a man of faith but, I’m not ignorant you can call me whate...
It was very hard to uncover who I was in the past especially with my shyness. Starting off a new year in a new school meeting new people was already a little too much for me to handle. I was practically as lost as everyone else and had no friends. In junior high everyone was their own person and socially active except for me, being a loner and wasting my time doing absolutely nothing because of my fear of the opinions/thoughts of people around me. It wasn’t until the day...
My identity is the usual, exactly as everyone else’s. I’m just a normal guy- if someone tries to mess with me I defend myself. Even though I would like to graduate from college and have my own home. One thing I love to do is progress in life. Like for example the day I got my driver’s license was important to me, also when I passed all my five major exams in high school. I like to look back and see what I have now than a year ago. I like building things with my dad and like ...
Identity…How could I even begin to describe how I—a seventeen year old girl—aam supposed to fully understand and comprehend who I am as a person?Some people I know (one to many if you ask me) would automatically begin to describe all the possessions they own, all the awards and recognitions they’ve received and so on and so forth. but the problems is, all those things don’t make you...well you.So who am I?I am what the doctor’s refer to as a “rare case,” not b...
Who am I? I’m many things to be in fact. I am a big brother to all of my young siblings I look after them I protect them with my life because they are my family members. I am an amazing friend to all of mine, I help them out with I am able to help them with. I am a son to two wonderful parents I help them out around the house every time I see them going outside to clean up or mow the lawn or something else. I am also a creative person when it comes to certain things that...
Identity is a special thing, no two people in the world have the same identity because no two people in the world are alike. Everyone is different and everyone is special and unique in their own little way. Identity may come from the people who raised you and who taught you right from wrong. I have a good identity, I am a nice and quiet person I keep to myself and I don’t judge. I like who I am not a mean person, even if you are mean to me I still wouldn’t be ...