Writing Community for Teens

Teen BloggingTeen Blogging:  Share a Story.  Enter Writing Contests...

Stage of Life® is a teen writing community dedicated to teen bloggers.  Get involved with our teen blogging mission: Share a life experience, enter our monthly, national writing contests for high school students, explore our teen trends and student statistics, check out inspirational movies about high school students, save money with our coupons for students, and so much more. Whether you're a freshman or a senior, we look forward to providing you an online journal to blog about your life.  Get started now...

Enter StageofLife.com teen writing contest Twitter writing contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for students on StageofLife.com
Enter the monthly national writing contest for students: Sept. 2014

"Who Are You?"
Or...don't have a lot of time?
Enter our new, "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.

Student Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com
Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's coupon code from StageofLife.com     Lenovo computer discount for Stage of Life members

Essay Winners

Recent Teen Writing Contest Winners

Teen Blogging WinnersWinning Teen EssayBefore you scroll down to read the essays being submitted by our teen writers and bloggers, let's celebrate the recent essay winners.  If you want to see if your essay was a finalist - check out our monthly teen trend report summary for each writing contest.

Teen Writing Contest Details

Read Teen Stories and Writing Contest Essays

The alternative band, The Verve, once sang, “I’m a million different people from one day to the next”. Indecision riddles the lives of all people. No matter what anyone says, everyone’s self-perception changes. In order to combat this ever-changing self-image, society gives teenagers the daunting task of “finding themselves”. However, people of all ages are in this constant struggle, hence the coinage of the term “mid-life crisis” in modern culture. Where do I come into thi...
I am a daughter. I am a sister. I am a student. I am a girl. I am human. I am me. I am my choices. We are the sum of everybody we have ever known, and everything we have ever done. I walk towards my friends, my protection from dreaded isolation: the mark of being rejected. In the cafeteria, Timothy, who has Down syndrome, glances up hopefully. Maybe today will be the day I don’t have to sit alone, he thinks. I keep walking. BAM! Another deed tacked onto the ne...
Being adopted into a white family was hard. But growing up in an all white community was even harder. I always knew i was different, that i was darker then everyone around me. When I was young kids my age would ask me." Why are you black?" and " Whats wrong with you?" I never knew what to say. My mom told me just to say thats how god made me. So I did that. Middle school was even harder, being the only colored girl people would call me: Burnt toast, coal, and dark chocolate. ...
My name is Sydney Beaver, and I am a survivor of Hurricane Katrina. I am Sydney Beaver, and regardless of what everyone says about me, there are some nights that I cannot be strong, despite everything that has happened. You all know me as the girl who is absolutely happy around absolutely everyone, but you do not know the me as the girl who cannot bear some days by her own. You all know me as the girl who makes beaming, beautiful grades, but you do not know the Sydney who...
I found my identity through a move from Illinois to Florida, this essay defines the journey.Innocent. Impetuous. Impudent. Those are the traits of a girl I once was, a girl who had yet to face life head on. Two years ago, I was the girl everyone wanted to be friends with; I was the one all the guys talked about. I had the life each teenage girl dreams of, I was confident of who I was and proud of where I was going. Yet, every fairytale has to have an antagonist, mine ca...
I go to a school where all that matters is your name or your athletic ability. Well, I don't have either. I know that once I graduate high school, none of that stuff matters, but I know it would certainly make life easier now. I'm the type of kid who sits in the back of the classroom, slouched in my desk that says just enough to get by. I'm told that I'm smart by people but I do not really believe them. I get good enough grades but I feel like I'm missing something that I ju...
Everyone always says that high school goes on to define who you are, but why? Is it the friends we have, or the mistakes we have made, or even the grades we get? I have thought about this a lot as I try to figure out who I am. When I was younger I thought I knew who I was and thought I had it all together. Then as I entered high school my world turned upside down, and nothing else in the entire world seemed to matter but grades. The first “bad” grade I got the first quarter c...
We are much more than words on a page. People do not just suddenly come into existence. We grow. We develop. We are not merely a product of our experiences. We think, we dream, we act on our dreams. But neither can we define ourselves differently then what we were destined to be. Some people change. Some people never do, and there is nothing wrong with that. It’s the ambiguity of this question, “Who am I,” that often sends people running for the door, to escape back to their ...
I am unique. I enjoy acting and love having a good time, but nothing makes me happier than helping others succeed. I have found that everyone gets into tough spots in their lives and need a hand to get through them. It may be as simple as reviewing an essay, or giving valuable advice to those in a sticky situation. Instead of leaving people to wallow in their own problems, like a man who fell overboard, I am always willing to throw them a life preserver and swim out to he...
I remember one day I was leaving school at the end of the day. I was riding in my dad's truck, the window was down, and I saw this girl who was in my class. We weren't close friends by any means, but I'd known her for awhile and I knew she had some self-confidence issues. The window was down and I'm not the type of person to rudely ignore someone, so I waved and said hi to her as my dad pulled out of the lot. Naturally, she smiled and said hi back. A few hours later, I ...
“He allowed himself to be swayed by his conviction that human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give birth to them, but that life obliges them over and over again to give birth to themselves.” – Gabriel García Márquez.Many think of identity as a journey you take as a child until one day your journey finally ends and you’re the person you’ve always wanted to be. I think of this as the dream state of identity. The invisible plane where all people...
Manuel MaysonetCreative Writing9/10/14Identity: Am I just a label?        Some say that high school is the absolute greatest time of ones young life. On many occasions I would beg to differ with such a statement. I’m not the super buff football catching athlete who is at the peak of the “social” food chain,  in fact I have never been too great with people. I am Manuel the son of two puerto rican immigrants and all my life I have been an avid comic book lover and action fi...
My friends and I started this game where we send a bunch of random numbers to each other and text these numbers just to see their reaction. I don’t know who they are, and they don’t know who I am. Some people say hi, and some people get angry. The point is that these random strangers eventually ask me, “Who are you?” I understand that they want my name. However, all I answer with is, “I don’t know,” because the truth of the matter is I don’t know I am. My name isn’...
There is no other person I know how to be than Miranda. Why would I want to be anyone else? I am in control how my identity is perceived by others. We look at people and often characterize them by the way they speak, look, or what a person shows on the outside. People only show what they want others to see. What is on the inside can be a total adverse identity in contrast to their exterior. The constant changing of likes and dislikes throughout teenage years causes so much c...
Who are you? What do you want to be? It's questions like that, that are asked to teenagers everyday. But do we know the answer. What if I told you that I do? I am Madison. I am an inspiring writer who would rather hide behind a book or computer than being faced with real people. I consider myself an alien, not known in the classroom or in the halls. I am the wind that passes by on a winter day. I am that girl that never gets a "hey'. There are many things that...
All of my life, I wanted to be a Disney prince, which was extra difficult since I was a girl. When my friends and family asked me why I wanted to be this when I grew up, and I answered them with this, they looked at me like I was from another planet. “Why a prince when you can be a beautiful princess?” they asked. My answer was always the same, “Princes have more fun!” At the early age of two, my grandmother began to dress me in Princess Ariel attire. She believed I was the...
Who do I think I am could be the vaguest question I have ever been asked. Maybe not vague, difficult, the question definitely makes you think. As I tell myself every day, I am Mariela Guadalupe Lopez, born and raised in the Bay Area, a part of a very obnoxious but loving Mexican family, and a freshman in high school. It’s strange to describe yourself, because in all honesty, who can answer that question in a deeper sense, right off the bat, without lying to themselves. ...
If someone asked me who I was, I’d give them the obvious answer: I’m Kia. A name holds so much, it sums up your identity. Your favorite music, your fears, your likes, your dislikes. It’s all summed up into one word. Identity is what defines us as a person. Me, I find my identity in music, it’s the one thing that’s always constant in my life. Being in High School, I have absolutely no idea what I want to do, I’ve gone from vet to criminal psychologist. However, music can...
All the walls we built,they must come downShe's laughing in her sleepI wish you were still aroundI get the sensation that you're coming back aroundI get the sensation that you're leaving me here aloneOh baby, you're on the wrong track, while I'm stuck in Sam's TownBeneath this graveyard of broken dreams,I'll set fire to this cityI guess you wouldn't knowI wish you wouldn't goLike in a punk rock video,we'll be our moments' toysAnd, when you smile,baby, there is...
Ever since I was little, I felt as if I was the only person in the world. I feel in love with books before people. I couldn’t make friends because I was scared of embarrassment, of saying the wrong things, that they would laugh at my face and tell me to go away. I was the main target of bullying, which led to my depression and social anxiety. I spent a lot of my time reading to help ignore the animosity. My only outlet for creativity was writing. I did have some friends, bu...
The first two years of a child's life are very important.They grow up learning from their older siblings,parents,guardians or whomever,they are raised around.But,high school is also a big factor of finding out who they truly are.Here's my story,Freshmen year.A big step into my teenage years.I couldn't wait,meeting new friends,joining clubs and just finding out what I'm good at.I had a pretty clear view of who I wanted to be but,high school made me realize a few thing...
I am strong. I am weak. I am complicated. I am contradictory and changing.When I start to explain myself to myself, I come up with too little or too much, and it's always different. I have many facets, many tastes, many opinions. I love ice skating and there was a time when that was what I was. I am also a writer, even if I don't write a lot all the time. I fall in a gray area between High school and college student.I used to be healthy and strong. Recently, not so much. ...
I’ve never been the kind of kid who runs around naked or stays up until four in the morning because they procrastinated just a little too much. Instead, I’m the kind of kid who corrected their preschool teacher about the proper order of colors- for your information, ROY G. BIV does not mention purple. I’ve always been an overachiever, curious for knowledge, insisting that everything be ‘right,’ both morally and factually. I have a big heart, courtesy of my mother’s doing, ...
Hmmm. I'm not sure whether I'm qualified to answer this question, when I'm not sure myself, exactly who I am? I'm sixteen. In this day and age I guess it's considered old, but I still feel as though I'm swimming in a pool of confusion and immaturity. Needless to say, I don't know what I'm doing.But, there have been some influential factors in my life. People and animals and events. In a way, every experience I've ever had has shaped me--some for the better, others for the...
Who am I? That’s a hard question to answer when you really don’t know. But there has been many experiences in life that have taught me or formed the person I am today. I am a sixteen year old junior in Otterville High School. I have a strong faith in God and a big desire to help people in this world that are suffering. I like to sing in the choir and have fellowship with the youth in church. I also enjoy spending time with my family and playing volleyball with my friends. T...
Identity: All about MeI am a girl that is 17 years old. I love being a teenager because I get to drive. I am the one that loves to drive everywhere. I love driving with my friends because they keep me company when I am driving but they know not to distract me. I live in a really small town called “Otterville.” There is only about 500 people. That is what I consider a small town. Everyone in this town pretty much gets along with each other. Maybe every once in a while you wi...
In my school sports are a pretty big everyone plays. I play every sport my school offers (which isn’t much) basketball, softball, volleyball, and track. We are a very school town. There are only like 250 kids in our school (Pre-k – 12). And if you are good at sports in my town you are somebody. I didn’t really realize this until I was in about 5th grade. One of my friends was starting to get pretty good at basketball and our coach treated her a little different from everyone ...
Some people might say it was wrong, and some say it was right, but this is where I belong. Growing up wasn’t easy for me. I was the second child of a single seventeen year old mother, who, like most teens wanted to party, and drink and hang out with friends. She had a responsibility though. She had two babies she had to watch after, and all she wanted to do was have fun. I don’t remember much of my early years as a child, but I do remember the later years.From about the age...
Walking through the halls, feeling like just a normal person just doing what they do. No one really noticing you. You smile to people as they walk past you, as well as being polite but yet again, no one really notices the little things that are put on. I just shake it off and as that school year ends I say to myself “time for a change.” Today current time I am a captain in Volleyball, I am a member of the Archery team, I am an officer of FFA, and I am a member of FBLA. I reme...
I am the way I am today because of how I was raised as a child. My dad started taking me hunting when I was two years old. He has also always treated me like I was his best friend instead of his child. It was he and I against the world. He trusted me with everything he owned from as far back as I can remember. Most parents would say that's ridiculous, but it made me who I am today. I have always been a very quiet and mature person. Never once have I been that loud mouth, ...