Writing Community for Teens

Teen BloggingTeen Blogging:  Share a Story.  Enter Writing Contests...

Stage of Life® is a teen writing community dedicated to teen bloggers.  Get involved with our teen blogging mission: Share a life experience, enter our monthly, national writing contests for high school students, explore our teen trends and student statistics, check out inspirational movies about high school students, save money with our coupons for students, and so much more. Whether you're a freshman or a senior, we look forward to providing you an online journal to blog about your life.  Get started now...

Enter StageofLife.com teen writing contest Twitter writing contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for students on StageofLife.com
Enter the monthly national writing contest for students:
June / July 2015
"There's an App for That"
Or...don't have a lot of time?
Enter our new, "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.

Student Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com
Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's coupon code from StageofLife.com     Lenovo computer discount for Stage of Life members

Essay Winners

Recent Teen Writing Contest Winners

Teen Blogging WinnersWinning Teen EssayBefore you scroll down to read the essays being submitted by our teen writers and bloggers, let's celebrate the recent essay winners.  If you want to see if your essay was a finalist - check out our monthly teen trend report summary for each writing contest.

Teen Writing Contest Details

Read Teen Stories and Writing Contest Essays

Many people say that apps are making people, especially young people, unhealthier, stupider, and less social. And I can see their point, instead of going out for a walk we sit inside on our phones, rather than going to meet our friends we just talk to them over various social medias, often in a maximum of 140 characters. However I have a contradicting argument: apps bring people closer together. The most obvious way is that you can now connect with people half way around th...
On August 25th, 2009 at 11:30PM, my family and I trudged out of the San Francisco International Airport, towing our four tired souls, three Costco brand luggage bags, two neck travel pillows, and one comatose baby girl in a bright pink stroller. The elevator was broken, so we begrudgingly wrestled the staircase. Ten minutes later, we reached the platform of Bay Area Rapid Transit---or BART for short. Ding! The doors slid open, giving me false hope of finding the lo...
This story is about a girl who always for bulliedNo one liked her, she didn't know why. Then sheMet someone who helped her through the painBut realized that the bullying would never stop.No matter what she did it never seemed to workShe was hated, betrayed, no longer wanted. She Felt like the world hated her....
You’ve saved up, and now you can buy your first iPhone. Being a relative noob, you have no idea what to do, so you gravitate to the App Store and download every free game you can see. You take special notice of one app – Candy Crush. You’ve never heard of it, but it’s high on the Top Grossing list (whatever that means), and its icon is as colorful as 3D-printed sugar confections. You can’t resist it. At first, you find it fun–the early levels are satisfying but easy. S...
I started doing creative writing in my free time in third grade. My first stories were about a page long, and packed with wish fulfillment and underdeveloped plots. My first multi-chapter story was a fanfiction for Percy Jackson and the Olympians that I wrote in fifth grade. Looking back, I realize that it was simply a self-insert packed with quite a few unhealthy doses of wish fulfillment. But at the time, I thought it was great. Especially after I received my first review...
It was a beautiful summer day. My grandfather had gone to a store to buy some groceries while my grandma stayed home. As soon as my grandfather had left, she went to take off a shower. She took a five minute shower and was about to put on her robe. My grandmother picked up her left foot up and slips. We were very thankful that there were medical app on her phone. Because of that app, emergency service was notified as well as her husband. They rushed to the rescue and she was...
My computer and I are inseparable. I bring it with me most places, always typing away. My family constantly nags me about it, and that’s not uncommon; what teens among us can say they haven’t yet been lectured on the uselessness of social media? But when parents see their kid on electronic devices, they rarely consider that they might be making art or talking to other artists. As a writer, technology plays a big part in my freedom, offering me new possibilities for editi...
Pearls of Wisdom:BFFs – Best. Friends. Forever.Liz Pearl © 2015It’s been decades since the genesis of our friendship. L and N met sometime in elementary school, and I befriended them several years later at summer sleepover camp when we were tweens. Our friendship trio peaked sometime around our memorable Sweet‒16s. It’s true, three is a tricky number for a BFF bond; apparently allegiances switch. How do I know this? I know this because I have three kids very close in ...
Actions in the 21st century doesn't matter as much as they did in past centuries. Now, it's all about words. People are starting to believe in music more than they believe in their own religion. They give more respect to an artist of music than they do to their own love ones. Society is ranting opinions on sexuality more than they are on war. It has been said that social media is connecting the world, but it is splitting us apart. Now that people can hide behind accounts to b...
I don’t know what I would do without watt-pad. Actually, I know exactly what I would do if watt-pad was not in my life. I would be reading books. There is no difference really, I would still be reading. Watt-pad is a reading and writing app. People from all over the world uses watt-pad. Watt-pad allows readers to read, writers to write, and if your book or poem is awesome it helps you get it publish. I got Introduced to watt-pad for the first time in 2011, when my best-frie...
Ever since I was in fourth Grade and had Mrs. Laster as my Language Arts teacher, have had the amazing love for literature, poems, quotes, and not to mention writing. Over the couple of years my love for writing has increased to an overwhelming state to where I would do anything to finish one of my stories and get it published to someday be as great as James Patterson or even Erin Hunter. That is why Wattpad is my go-to app when I feel like reading others' pieces or even writ...
5,860,000 jews died in the tragic events of the Holocaust. That’s five million, eight hundred, sixty thousand people who were brutally murdered. But what if I told you millions of them could’ve been saved if Twitter had existed? Before you roll your eyes, just read this. If Anne Frank, a young jewish girl, DM’d you on Twitter, saying her life was in danger and she needed a place to hide, wouldn’t you have done everything to help her? What if just days after the jews had been...
When I finally got my phone, I downloaded apps. Just because it felt like that’s what people did when they had phones. I got games and books and little shops on my phone! And pretty soon there was one game in particular to which I was hooked. It was a funny thing called 2-0-4-8, in which you keep building numbers… I started to spend so much time on it that I stopped doing everything else... And people, my parents, would tell me stuff about me damaging my time, my brain cells...
The scene in Mean Girls where Lindsay Lohan is sitting on the toilet silently eating her lunch – that wasn’t just a scene in a movie, it was real life. At least for me. In Korea, people find the notion of eating alone at a public place more terrifying than that of losing consciousness from voluntary malnutrition – also known as skipping out on meals; the fear of eating alone in Korea is so real that it even bore and popularized an industry called “mukbang” where internet pers...
A guaranteed way to waste time and obtain quick entertainment lies in the unnervingly complex web of Instagram, an addicting app with steadily increasing popularity as people worldwide discover a new way to communicate. Though only one app, Instagram takes many unseen forms; it is a refuge, where people are free to complain and cry in peace, an infinite kingdom, where new wonders to explore are never limited, a warm, affable community, where one’s thoughts and feelings can so...
The scoreboard resets with a beep. The boys, already dressed and ready to play, run laps around the court. The incessant pounding of balls against the gymnasium floor echoes through the airy space, mixing and mingling with the acoustics of an afternoon game. I sit on the bleachers with the other girls, waiting for our game that will soon come. Our hearts pound with excitement, ready to shout and cheer - but they are excited about something other than basketball. The little ye...
Cinch Polls was started on April 23rd, 2015 by Clutch Retail, Inc. It is an app where the user types in a question, and then types several answer choices for other Cinch Polls users to choose from. Users can ask any question they want, ranging from what decision to make, to which outfit to wear that day. This app will end up having a negative effect on every person that uses it. Cinch Polls will eventually have a negative effect on everyone that uses it because people will...
Wattpad is an app with a huge collection of stories, most of which are written by teenagers in their spare time. Although there are quite a few grammatically incorrect works on there, most are well-written and real page-turners. You can also write your own stories, with an easy to use creative writing tool.What I love most about this app, is that not only are there absolutely no adverts or costs, there’s also a huge social aspect to it. You can comment and vote on your fa...
The innovation and improvement of technology has largely influenced our world. The invention of mobile technology, especially, not only shaped our lives but also diversified our society. " The rich and interactive experiences we have come to expect on mobile apps have created new standards and expectations for all digital media including the web. The result is websites are evolving to become more app-like in their rich functionality." said Mr. Raj Aggarwal, CEO of Localytic. ...
The most influential app I have ever discovered, as well as the favored one I currently have on my phone’s possession, happens to be a relatively unknown app called Polyvore. While this app is not vastly popular because it only channels a specific array of people, it is innovative, functional, and simplifies certain processes of everyday life. First of all, let me begin by describing both the app and its function. Polyvore was geared to consumers with a particu...
We as educators are taking the age-old question from Hamlet and applying it in our woes and worries of using technology and social media in the classroom. The Question now is do we as teachers, schools, districts, states, nations, etc. join the Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) www.k12blueprint.com or Bring Your Own Technology (BYOT) www.byotnetwork.com movement? Now the teacher in me tells me to create a KWL or Positive and Negative chart, possibly in one of our team meetings ...
"Reveal", "Ask Fm", "Formspring"-- the internet is full of websites with silly names that enable bullying of teenagers by teenagers. One app in particular (with an especially ridiculous name) was able to change me and my community- "Yik Yak". This app allows its users to post anonymous comments that shows up to anyone within a certain geographical area, aka: schools. As you can imagine, this was the perfect climate for bullies who now didn't have to worry about punis...
My phone recently had a little accident: it fell into the toilet. Hoping for the best, I covered it with rice and put it on a drying rack, where it still lies, staring up at me and looking unassumingly dead. I am relatively new to having a phone. I did not get one until I was almost thirteen, and as ridiculous as that sounds, I was one of the last in my grade to get one. Without realizing it, my phone had bewitched me, creeping into more and more of my time. However, it didn...
Has anyone wondered how you can connect face-toface with your friends and family who are on the other side of the world.Well that problem has been solved thanks to Skype.Unlike other video chat apps Skype can be accessed on tablets,phones and computers.however does this app help benefit our daily lives?First of all Skype is a grat way of connecting with your friends and family overseas as you can all speak together.What I mean by this is that you can see 4-5 relatives at t...
If only there was a website where you can share your thoughts and feelings, your activities of the day with people that are close to you. Even people you have never even spoken to, but you have seen them in the school hallway before, right? The nifty thing is called Twitter, and even better it is also an app. With all its awe-inspiring features it consumes the majority of our race with mind-numbing attributes. It distracts from actual society and conventional conversation wit...
When thinking of a mobile app that stands out above all others, I think of Instagram. Instagram rests right there at the surface. It is the app that comes to mind when the mind thinks of an app. The app. 300 million users; all endowed with the opportunity to make life more presentable to the eye. With filters and angles we are allowed to spruce up reality for the eyes of friends, family, and unknown strangers. On Instagram, we have followers that lend us feelings of importanc...
Cyberbullying. Everyone nowadays has heard this term be said so often that it has almost lost its seriousness. Commercials stress that parents monitor their child’s internet usage, posters encourage children to speak up if they’re being cyberbullied, and guest speakers cycle through school districts, informing communities about how serious of a threat cyberbullying can be. Yet, somehow, the message hasn't quite gotten through. Being the stubborn and lazy generation w...
I used to be what I consider a person with passion, but no drive. I sat in front of my computer for many hours a day, every day--much to my mother's displeasure. Every now and then, I feared what will happen to my eyes a few years from now. Will I have to wear special glasses in order to see well? Will I somehow go blind? After some nervous introspection, I always figure that it’s better that I push these thoughts to the back of my head and proceed to hunch over in front of a...
Got a vexatious cold? There’s an app for every remedy and pill that would be the most beneficial depending on your symptoms. More reliable than a doctor. In desperate need to lose weight? For Android Users, try Noom Weight Loss. For Apple Consumers, Calorie Counter- My Net Diary. Years ago, apps such as these would be simply unfathomable. It has manifested the lives of each and every individual human in this world. Is it all positive? Unfortunately, as you would believe, some...
Precious wasn’t a real troubled girl. She just acted on the bad things that her and her family went through, it was mainly death. She had a best friend named Princess, she is surrounded by so much death that it’s unbelievable. Her grandfather is also surrounded by death, but it was something no one could control unlike with Princess. Precious’ aunt had a number of little disasters that she wishes never happened. Precious hates her dad so much that she wishes he was dead, but ...