Writing Community for Teens

Teen BloggingTeen Blogging:  Share a Story.  Enter Writing Contests...

Stage of Life® is a teen writing community dedicated to teen bloggers.  Get involved with our teen blogging mission: Share a life experience, enter our monthly, national writing contests for high school students, explore our teen trends and student statistics, check out inspirational movies about high school students, save money with our coupons for students, and so much more. Whether you're a freshman or a senior, we look forward to providing you an online journal to blog about your life.  Get started now...

Enter StageofLife.com teen writing contest Twitter writing contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for students on StageofLife.com
Enter the monthly national writing contest for students: Jan. 2015

"Unsung Hero"
Or...don't have a lot of time?
Enter our new, "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.

Student Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com
Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's coupon code from StageofLife.com     Lenovo computer discount for Stage of Life members

Essay Winners

Recent Teen Writing Contest Winners

Teen Blogging WinnersWinning Teen EssayBefore you scroll down to read the essays being submitted by our teen writers and bloggers, let's celebrate the recent essay winners.  If you want to see if your essay was a finalist - check out our monthly teen trend report summary for each writing contest.

Teen Writing Contest Details

Read Teen Stories and Writing Contest Essays

I wish to tell you a story. A story you don’t know. About people you don’t know -invisible to others and unknown to this world. And whom nobody cares about. Nobody cares about those kind of people - those quiet, hardworking, small people, who give all and take nothing. Those who sacrifice everything for happiness of another broken soul because they know hard it can be, and still through it all, they suffer in silence, in their own world who’s so dark and cold.They never a...
Girlhood in “the OC”BoysBoys, boys—they mess with your mindWhat they desire they can’t even findSometimes guys are really sweetYou’ll find they give you shaky feetCan’t wait until the next time you’ll meetThat’s when you hear they’ve said you’re beatAfter that, boys call you on the phoneFor some reason, they don’t leave you aloneLeading you on, saying stuff they don’t meanThe way they treat girls is very obsceneBoys, boys, they mess with your headSometimes I wis...
Sam MaddockMrs. FleschCollege Reading and Writing29 January 2015Unsung Heroes: My Mom Often in the news on TV we see soldiers being rewarded for acts of bravery or a random citizen doing some miraculous heroic act, but many heroes are never noticed. Some heroes do great things for people every day and are never rewarded or recognized. Many people devote their lives to being unsung heroes just because they love helping others. My mom is an example of an unsung hero f...
Tremaine ReidMrs.FleschCollege Reading and Writing9 January 2015 To be able to fully understand the concept of an unsung hero you must first define what an unsung hero is. An unsung hero can be described as a person who makes a substantive yet unrecognized effort. There have been many unsung heroes throughout history like Elizabeth “Betsy” Hagar who helped local blacksmiths to refurbish weapons to be used against the British. Today’s society a cop is c...
Some people live their lives mediocre and are content with this. Some people live life selfishly and will do anything necessary to benefit themselves. Others live their lives to the fullest for themselves and others. But there's a special kind of person that goes unrecognized. There are people who simply do what they do because it brings them joy without necessarily a spotlight. They put the needs of others before themselves and in this way make the world a little bit better...
Joshua Briggs 1/8/15Mrs. FleschThe unsung Hero: Dairy Discovery Unsung heroes are those who do some great deed or deeds and don’t expect anything in return. They are the good of the world that no one ever hears about. They pass around hope like it was candy in their pocket. Some people make great discoveries and don’t get recognition for them. The best part of being a unsung hero is the gratitude of the people that you have helped. Alice Catherine Evans was a microbiolo...
In 1952, a boy was born of a Central Wesleyan College student and his spouse. Experiencing a 640 mile move at the age of nine months, he took the title ‘pastor’s kid’. He grew up being the church: applying coats of paint, transporting elderly folks, and attending every church service available. My grandfather yearned to follow in the footsteps of his father and believe in the same God his father taught of. Relationship building, employment and determination were imbued in him...
When I was thinking about what to write for the theme of Unsung Heroes, I thought it might be a good idea to write about Janitors. They don’t get as much thanks as Police Officers, Firemen, Search and Rescue Officers and well, you get the idea. Janitors are sort of like super heroes who clean up filth that threatens jobs. For example, if schools became really filthy, the government might have to shut them down because they would get too unsanitary for children to keep on go...
Unsung hero is a person who makes a substantive yet unrecognized contribution and someone whose bravery is unknown or unacknowledged. When I was young, around fourteens years ago I was shocked about the act of terrorism at the Twins towers in New York. Watching TV I heard about Benjamin Clark.He was an ordinary man with a simple life like any other people. He was neither a cop nor a fireman, and he was just a chef that saved hundreds of lives in the south tower.On Tuesday ...
Paul Castellano Unsung Hero: Taken for Granted As soon as this essay was assigned, I knew that there was only one choice for the unsung hero in my life. The unsung hero in my life is the person whom has taught me nearly everything I know, from how to always treat others with respect, to how to be loving and caring to all, regardless of race, color, or creed. This hero is seldom noticed by anybody short of the all-seeing, all-knowing...
The Reverend nervously shaved in the rest room as he knew the enemy Agent had spotted him. Both knew the other had made each other out, yet they refused to make the first move. Finally, five drunken men walked in, breaking the tension. The enemy Agent recognized the opportunity to escape and encouraged them to give the preacher a drink. In between the Reverend and his target was a mob of drunken men, and he needed a miracle to escape unharmed. Daniel P. Denton was ...

Kyle Tuttle College Reading and Writing 1/8/15JCS’s biggest fanMy unsung hero is Larry Barbaree. Larry was at every JCS sporting event he could go to. He packed up the JCS football trailer every game day. He would yell at the top of his lungs and get the whole sideline pumped up during games. He mowed the grass seeded it and watered it every day and it was green and lush. He checked all the equipment and fixed anything that was broken. If anything needed something ...
Coffey 1Anthony Coffey Mrs. Flesch2015, January 8 Unsung Hero: Beauty in the Midst of DestructionEverybody understands the meaning of a hero. Soldiers, police officers, fire fighters, and others get recognition and fame for what they do. That’s why they are proudly given awards and have big press conferences with the president. The people who bring the most good into the world however get no awards, no recognition, no money, because they do good things without being aske...
...
Helene RaichCollege Reading and WritingMrs. Flesch9 January 2015 “ My Unsung Hero: My generous grandfather”After spending some time thinking about what qualities are required for a person to be considered an unsung hero, I realized that there are really not that many people today that fit that criteria. In modern society being recognized is placed at such high value that people forget their integrity. The man that I consider to be my unsung hero is named Nick Raic...
Since the passing of my mother four years ago, my dad has been exceptionally apprehensive about dating. I mean, I practically had to hold him down and force him to call this woman that he had run into after not seeing her for a couple of years. When he finally built up the courage to ask her out, they went to dinner and ever since my life has been filled with warmth, comfort, and irrevocable love. As if the passing of my mom wasn’t enough, I just could not stand to think ...
“I feel like something out of the bottom of a shoe,” I read as my mom’s phone lit up in my lap. My mom laughed as I handed the phone to her. The text had come from Linda Weiksnar, a longtime friend of my family recently diagnosed with breast cancer and currently going through her first round of chemotherapy. At this year’s Christmas Eve dinner, she debuted her newly shaved head – along with pictures documenting the step-by-step process, which included an intermediate mohawk, ...
It is Saturday night and the scene outside the hotel is quite normal to those around. Men arrive, walk in, and exit with a woman on their arm. Cars, coming and going, used as a transportation system for the women. This notorious system goes on for countless hours all weekend long. In their eyes it is a business, a way to make money, a source of income in order to eat and have a place to sleep. Now, instead of going to see a movie, or going to the mall to shop, Elizabeth Gilro...
The morning call from the monster awakened me, as it had every single day for the preceding ten years of my life. It was yet another day in the life of the Simpson household, or at least so I thought. This woman was unlike any other nanny that I had ever had, there was something distinct about her, something that I didn’t quite like, and, in a sense, she was scary. During my young ages, I didn’t quite understand what Tracy was doing for me, she just seemed to be the person wh...
Some parents may feel underappreciated by their children. Some may feel like their efforts go to waste. Some may even feel discouraged by the actions and behavior of their children. A lot of the work a mother does is often overlooked and goes by unnoticed. Only the things that prevent the child from doing something potentially harmful are the actions that always get noticed. Mothers are often seen as the barrier that keeps their children from doing anything fun, but no one re...
I bet that if I said the name Clair Cameron Patterson, there is a ninety percent chance that you'll have no idea who i was talking about. In the twentieth century, he did a lot of amazing things that were beneficial to our society. He discovered the true age of the earth, and eventually he spared the nation from a major public health issue. When he was a grad student at the University of Chicago, Clair's foreman assigned him the job of finding the age of the Earth. The wa...
For as long as I can remember, my grandfather has been instilling valuable life lessons in me. His most important lesson to me has been “if you ever see someone in need of help, you go out of your way to help them.” My grandfather placed great emphasis on helping others, and it is apparent in his life experiences. I believe that the underlying quality behind all heroes is selflessness. He has the ambition to help others even if he is putting himself at risk or in harm’s way. ...
The last 6 months have been decidedly the worst of my life. The metal bars of depression imprisoned me so firmly that not even the smallest scintillation of light deemed a possible escape to freedom. For me, life was tantamount to the games one may find in desolate arcades. Although riddled with emotional vicissitudes, life was nothing more than superficial repetitions that seemed brutally and needlessly endless. I had no goals, no aspirations, but most importantly, I was ind...
Mike RiceMrs. FleschCollege Reading and Writing 30 January 2015Unsung Hero: “Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Won’t Work”Although my principal and coach is a published author and has been named the National Coach of the Year for Boys' Soccer in 2002 and 2012, and led his teams to earn four state championships, he is much more than that. Mentoring us and guiding us to the Cross and molding us into men of character are the top of his priority list as a coach. “T...
This is a story of a homeless boy living on the streets of Lake Worth with no hope of becoming something great to becoming a young man breaking the statistics and having confidence to pursue his dreams. My name is Will Clervil, and when I was thirteen years old my family and I became homeless. We were living in abandoned homes and my mother suffered from mental illness. I went to school on and off and did not complete the 7th grade. Eventually, the police discovered my brot...
Unsung Hero: Stephen’s Impact In today’s society, people such as policeman, firefighters, and those who serve in the armed forces are often viewed as the epitome of a true hero. Even though we do honor these individuals, as we should, we often forget about the everyday and unknown heroes that have made an unrecognized contribution to society. One unacknowledged hero that often receives little recognition is the Biblical character Stephen. Although unknown to the vast major...
As cliche as it sounds to say my mother is my unsung hero, it is not without great consideration and thought that I came to this conclusion. Sure, I have other unsung heroes in my life, but not one compares to my mom. My mother was a devoted tennis player her entire teenage life. But it did not stop there. She was the ranked number one in Florida at eighteen. She was offered a full ride to college at The University of Alabama and took it. Not long after starting colle...
Unsung Hero: My Brother’s Serving Heart A Unsung Hero is defined as a “Person who makes a substantive yet unrecognized contribution; a person whose bravery is unknown or unacknowledged” (Dictionary). My brother, is my hero due to the fact that he has a caring heart and it is filled with the love of Christ. He extraneously loves people to the striving to love them as God does. He is a imitator of the Lord and that is shown through his actions and through the way he protects...
Unsung Hero: Racetrack Corner working behind the engine’s roarUnsung heroes are people that society needs, although most of us don’t know it. In my daily routine, I have come across numerous people that have acted in heroic ways and haven’t received credit for it. I also encounter numerous people that have the potential to someday become unsung heroes. Because these people aren’t recognized, they don’t receive any credit for their actions. Only the few people that do g...