Writing Community for Teens

Teen BloggingTeen Blogging:  Share a Story.  Enter Writing Contests...

Stage of Life® is a teen writing community dedicated to teen bloggers.  Get involved with our teen blogging mission: Share a life experience, enter our monthly, national writing contests for high school students, explore our teen trends and student statistics, check out inspirational movies about high school students, save money with our coupons for students, and so much more. Whether you're a freshman or a senior, we look forward to providing you an online journal to blog about your life.  Get started now...

Enter StageofLife.com teen writing contest Twitter writing contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for students on StageofLife.com
Enter the monthly national writing contest for students: Summer 2014

"YouTube in our Lives"
Or...don't have a lot of time?
Enter our new, "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.

Student Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com
Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's coupon code from StageofLife.com     Lenovo computer discount for Stage of Life members

Essay Winners

Recent Teen Writing Contest Winners

Teen Blogging WinnersBefore you scroll down to read the essays being submitted by our teen writers and bloggers, let's celebrate the recent essay winners.  If you want to see if your essay was a finalist - check out our monthly teen trend report summary for each writing contest.  And don't forget to submit your story for our current writing contests for students!
Current 2014 Writing Contests for High School and College Students...

Teen Writing Contest Details

Winning Teen EssayMarch 2014 Writing Contest Winner
Essay Prompt:  "How has mental illness impacted your life?"
Winning Essay: March Madness: Fibs and Femurs for Dinner by EmilyLouise
National Press Release: View Stage of Life Press Releases

Winning Teen EssayFebruary 2014 Writing Contest Winner
Essay Prompt:  "How do you define the Olympic Spirit?"
Winning Essay: The Olympic Spirit: War Without Blood by hannaheareckson
National Press Release:  View Stage of Life Press Releases

Winning Teen EssayJanuary 2013 Writing Contest Winner
Essay Prompt:  "What are your hopes and fears for 2014?"
Winning Essay: Dear Me: Living in the present is more beautiful than you could ever imagine by evanscd

Past Writing Contest WinnersPAST CONTEST WINNERS:  Find past writing contest winners, runner's up, and finalists in our Teen Trend Reports and Writing Contest Archive.

Read Teen Stories and Writing Contest Essays

They say that through words and ideas people find a connection. If you found a person who wants to make the world a better place and gave them a community of people with the same idea they have, a connection would be made. I wasn't allowed on YouTube until I was twelve years old, so I remember what life was like before I was a content creator. When I found the vlogbrothers Hank and John Green, I thought that to everybody I was a freak. I wanted to help people and to make t...
Youtube is a free video sharing and video streaming website in which anyone who has the internet connection can upload and watch videos. This amazing website was created by Steve Chen,Chad Hurley and Jawad Karim all are Former paypal employees.Youtube was launched on 14th February,2005.Now Youtube is owned by google since 2006.Most of the content on YouTube has been uploaded by people. Youtube includes News videos,Music videos,Advertisements,TV clips,Educational Vide...
Every person has a different purpose for the widely used website called Youtube. Some listen to music, others watch movie trailers. Some browse the vast gamers that upload step by step details and cheats for any game ever imagined, and some upload videos themselves. The way I use Youtube, though, is to find sheer glee in the most simple of jokes and jests. For example, whenever I am feeling down, I go to several different comedians who upload their videos and submerge myself ...
Cool martial arts were what my then new found cook, YouTube, served me. Sometimes I asked for garnishment and my cook answered with trailers of sci-fi movies, which because of the glittering manner in which they were presented I loved so much. Nevertheless, after a year I concluded YouTube was a joke. I never returned to it for sometime because I thought it was an all-entertainment pack which the grownup (me, at age 14) did not require.Indeed entertainment packs needed not ...
Mister is cruelthat's what she says to herself after a duelI don't have nothing to offerStep out the front doorno lawyer or Tom SawyerWhite on whiteBlack on whiteCelie's crying, Squeak ain't squeakSofia's throwing punchesCame from overseas with a suitcase in her hand, NettieShug, takes her clothes offMy sweetest friendMister is cruelCelie's lost faithIt's only in my headTurns on the transistor radiostereo's blazing her bluesMen scoff, women listenDinn...
BimboIn limboBingoTake my hand, he saidShe reaches for the wrinkled paperslips it somewhere under the world's fairAnother comes, another goesThe two walk down the lane,an empty white room appearseverything fades to blackColliding cities,anorak amnesiacsBimboIn limboBingoHello, remember me?, he saidShe looks downSpit, spot, sprinkle, potLeft near the street by the parking lot,the old familiar stingfull of broken thoughtsachethe shackles have become a ...
YouTube: Virtual Happinessby Arden Rosenthal Life is stressful. Plain and simple. Everyday each person faces their own challenges, pushing themselves to stay awake just one minute longer and not collapse under the pressure of the days struggles. Some days are better than others. Being a high school student, some days just suck. As most teens do, I would come home feeling stressed, depressed, and (worst of all) not even well dressed. When I was younger, I would turn to b...
Dear YouTube, I think I must have stared at this blank screen for 2 ½ hours now and then for another 2 ½ hours writing then deleting the first sentence over and over again. When I hear the word YouTube many memories come up some of the happiest times I have had with my friends, in school, and with myself are thanks to you. I have laughed, cried, snorted and everything in between while watching a video on you. When the Ipod Touch first came out ( the big, huge, thick one tha...
YouTube has impacted the world in so many negative and positive ways. It has had an affect on people of all ages. YouTube allows people to explore their interest, hobbies, and answers to their questions. YouTube allows teachers and students to post educational works online so that others can learn from it. Children of all ages can get their questions about any thing answered on YouTube. Same goes for how to video's also known as tutorials. Many people learn how to do their...
Dear YouTube,I love you for helping my friends and I connect. We share videos and laugh over them, and afterward they turn into stupid but priceless inside jokes. Let it go!I hate how you have those recommended videos right after the video that I wanted to watch, so that I can’t help but click on one after another. After another. After another.I love you for showing me cute videos of cats and dogs. Apparently they’re good for relieving stress, so I watch them to i...
This past school year, I took on my first AP English course. It was a nerve-wracking experience- I was a scared, unpopular junior who had finished her summer work the week after it was assigned, and I was afraid the other students would treat me as a teacher’s pet. The teacher was supposedly terrifying and overbearing, willing to yell at a kid for using pencil rather than pen. So, on the first day, I was ready with pen and summer work in hand. The teacher ended up being ...
"HAHAHA!" my eyes become blurry as I try to control myself from exploding with laughter. I burst into numerous giggles as I try to refocus and hear the next sentence of this hilarious Superwoman YouTube video. A smile grows across my face as I reach to click replay and once again burst into uncontrollable laughter. There are many positive influences within our lifestyles, although it is our choice to decide how we may act upon them. I feel YouTube has shaped our generat...
I have been watching YouTube for a few years, and I’ve enjoyed it ever since I discovered it. YouTube has probably been around for quite a while, and I like that it was invented because of all of the things you can find on YouTube. YouTube is pretty unique itself. I have never seen so many videos with that many hilarious moments and things to learn!Technology HacksWhen I saw an account on Instagram for hacks to use for our daily lives, I checked it out and saw all of ...
Wanderlust; defined in urban dictionary as “a deep uncontrollable desire to hit the road and travel, by whatever means desired, to explore and enjoy the world.” There is no word that can more appropriately encompass my innermost dream than this one. Although I can not recall when it was that my relentless day dreams began, I acknowledged awhile ago that these large scale thoughts to travel everywhere and anywhere were permanently embedded in my mind, ever-present and unrele...
Everyone has a fault. It is a simple truth that many people repudiate. Humans have a desire to culminate, to reach the highest development and in a way reach perfection. The only desire that I have is to sleep. My fault is insomnia. A mental illness in which there is difficulty initiating and maintaining sleep or non-restorative sleep. Therefore, I lay awake all night, deep in thought. I feel enervated at almost every point in the day. On occasion I have a "crash week". A ses...
I have the world at my fingertips. This is not an arrogant declaration of entitlement -- I am not a person afflicted with megalomania or in dire need of psychiatrist to figure out my superiority complex. I am simply stating the truth: I can look at the world and all its glory with a simple power search on YouTube. If I want to travel to Thailand without dropping thousands of dollars, I can type in the name of the places I want to go and let the wonders of Bangkok o...
I got my first laptop in 7th grade strictly for homework purposes. But because I didn't have an iPod yet so I snuck onto YouTube and had to take breaks between every video to search a new song. It was 2009, but I was new to it and didn't grasp the concept of playlists yet. One day I was playing a song for my sister and saw the video "The Man With No Tongue" by Makemebad35 in the suggestions. Being 12 and silly, we laughed and clicked on it. That's the moment YouTube firs...
Although Youtube has been around for as long as I remember, it was something I never really thought about. I usually spent my free time watching TV, playing video games, or going to the movies with my friends. If somebody tried to talk to me about a Youtube channel that had gone viral, I tried to change the topic of the conversation. It just didn’t interest me because I felt no connections to the stupid videos…until the Gangnam Style music video came out. “Hey Kevin, did yo...
I have always wanted a septum piercing, or a "bull ring", as some of my not-so-supportive friends call it. But I always assumed it was too much. Too much for my small baby face.Too much for my poor conservative parents to handle.Too much for me to be beautiful, in a traditional way. Yet my love for the septum piercing never died. I still spent hours googling this mysterious, magnificent flesh hole on my spare time, until one day I accidentally clicked on a video by Kat...
The lights go on. The curtain goes up. I freeze. Oh, wait, this is YouTube! Just a camera, you, and your opinion. Even though I don't post regular videos, I watch my favorite YouTubers rant about the useless daily. Most of them are shy and wouldn't have shared out with such bold confidence in front of a crowd of people getting all judgy with their eyes. YouTube allows them to say these things. I know it allows me to get out my message. And I don't even have to imagine a bunch...
YouTube can be the place a person says their last words or changes their life forever. YouTube is where people of the world express themselves and strive for greatness. The beauty of diverse personalities and styles of art comes to life through this website. YouTube has given people from different backgrounds a chance to come together and share their stories with the world from the comfort of their own homes. This website shows how people from ...
Over the years, YouTube, in my opinion, has shaped the world as we know it today. It's used for gaining knowledge with helpful tips and tricks, getting points across by sharing opinions, and even picking up some new dance moves. Also, it can be seen as pure entertainment; an escape transporting humans all over the globe from a hectic life into a virtual world filled with cats in tutus and grown men eating baby food. For a lot of people, YouTube is even their claim to fame....
​ Although I have personally found that most believe that the fundamental ideal of YouTube is entertainment, it is under my humble judgment in which I conclude that this site is much more than a source of amusement. It’s all about the inspiration that is mirrored to viewers through the unlimited immediate access of music and thought provoking, motivational principles. The focus and excitement shouldn’t be over the news reporter earthquake reaction that went viral, but t...
YouTube has immensely influenced my life in significant ways such as how I see things and how I react to them. Not only does YouTube affect my life but it also has affected other people's lives around me. People's perspectives are changed and how people solve problems are altered due to YouTube. YouTube has influenced and impacted my life and the lives around me. Whether or not YouTube is positive or negative is a controversial topic and personally, I have ...
When you first think of YouTube, people usually think of those cute viral puppy videos, or that popular catchy song that everyone these days are singing.However I think of YouTube as my home, a community. YouTube is a place where you can interact and bond with people, who share the same passions as you, like, gaming, music, beauty, fashion, crafts and so much more! Some people have full time jobs on YouTube, sharing their passions and life with their fans. YouTube even...
“This world has gone to nothing.” –My GrandmotherAs a teenager, one of the hardest things to figure out, for me, has been how to react to the “bad” things in the world. How am I supposed to handle your emotions when things like the Boston Marathon bombing, the Aurora Theater shooting, and the Sandy Hook massacre occur? But, even more so, how am I supposed to react to these things when the adults surrounding me are filled with cynicism and negativity? Growing up, I was tau...
YouTube comment sections tend to be cold, nasty brawls with one another. On the occasions that I happen to glance at the comments section of anything that is not a lecture or a TED talk, I find denouncements and rudeness, surrounded by poor spelling and grammatical errors. When I watch these complete strangers scowl and squabble with one another, I can't help but lose some faith in the future of the human race. At times, I even lost faith in myself. I felt that outside of...
Youtube is rather simple, in and of itself. It's a video viewing and sharing platform that functions usually and loads a good 85% of the time. It's not really all that special in a world consumed by social media, so why is it so damn popular? Humans are inherently fickle. It’s just our nature, we have no idea why we want things, or what to do with them when we have them. The nature of social media in general caters to this deeply ingrained need for instant gratification wit...
YouTube has had a good and bad impact on the world. It has a bad impact on the world because people do stupid stuff on it. For example, people post sex videos on it, and entertain people by possibly damaging themselves. However, YouTube also has a good impact on the world because it can entertain people, share talents, and share music. YouTube has a good impact on my life. Because by youtube having music videos on it, I was able to get through my problems. One of the p...
I have traveled through nations, time, ideologies, and hypothetical dimensions within the confines of my swivel chair. Youtube isn’t a reality-distorting time machine; it’s a medium that grants me, a couch potato glued to my desk, the chance to see other worlds and learn anything I hunger for through a keyword search. One moment I could be the student of an animation tutorial or a brief lecture on U.S. history, and within a few clicks and an internet second, I would be watc...