What's Your Baby Story?

Writing Contest about Having a Baby or Pregnancy

Rules and online submission button for baby blogs essays and below...

Having a Baby blogging contestThere are a lot of photo contest websites out there (we even have one!), but here at StageofLife.com, want to hear your baby stories.  Each month, we feature a writing contest about parenting, babies and children.  Sometimes the writing contest prompt will ask you to share a story and other times we'll be looking for advice or tips.  This baby story writing competition is a non-fiction, memoir, blogging, essay-style contest for any parent currently experiencing a pregnancy or already having had a baby (no matter how long ago).  We want your authentic voice in your submission.  See writing contest question and rules below.

How to Enter?

1. Read rules below
  2. Read the Having a Baby writing contest prompt below
  3. Submit your baby blog or essay online to StageofLife.com (as instructed below) via the BLUE "Submit Essay" button

Writing Contest Prizes

One winning essay from across the non-student life stages on StageofLife.com will be selected to receive...
  • Spa & Wellness gift cards by SpaWeek$50 gift card from SpaWeek.com.  Spa & Wellness Cards are good at over 8,000 spas in North America.  They are redeemable year-round and never expire.  SpaWeek.com is excited to sponsor the StageofLife.com monthly writing contest! FYI - Every StageofLife.com writer, blogger, or reader gets 15% off Spa & Wellness gift cards from SpaWeek through 2014.
  • Writing Sponsor on StageofLife.com - Applebee's$25 gift card from Applebee's.  Applebee’s is focused on serving good food to good people. Today, what was once a popular neighborhood restaurant has grown to become a popular restaurant in neighborhoods all across North America – with almost 2,000 locations and counting.
  • Stage of Life pen
  • Signed letter of Congratulations from StageofLife.com
  • Acknowledgment as a StageofLife.com national blogging contest winner.  Essay winners are posted each month here - Writing Contest Winners

Rules for the Having a Baby Writing Contest

• Writing contest about having a babyEssay must relate to both your life stage (baby or pregnancy) and the essay theme (see below).
  • Essay must be your original work.
  • Essay can be no longer than 500 words.
  • Essay must be non-fiction and follow the form of a diary, journal, blog, memoir, or essay.  That is to say...we want real stories about real life...from you.
  • Once entered, essay will become a part of Stage of Life's public facing content so no foul language or inappropriate material.  Those entries will be removed.
  • Registration to Stage of Life is required to enter the writing contest (it's free) which will allow us to post your story to the public.

Enter the Baby Blogging Contest Now

Please read below for details on the monthly writing contest and click the blue "Enter Contest" button to submit your essay.  Good luck!

Enter Baby Writing Contest...

March 2015 Writing Contest
Writing Contests - March 2015MONTHLY WRITING CONTESTS:  StageofLife.com hosts monthly writing contests for people of all ages and life stages (open internationally, too).  Answer the real-world writing prompt below to share your thoughts and experiences as we change the world, one story at a time.  View winners of past writing contests.

Writing Contest:  Weather Stories

RULES...
SUBMIT ESSAY...

March 2015 Writing Contest:  In 500 words or less, using the blue "Submit Essay" button, write a personal essay that involves the weather.

Background:  Most people have heard the saying 'March comes in like a lion, and March goes out like a lamb.'  We felt this was the perfect month to talk about what we believe is the great equalizer: the weather.

We spend a great deal of time thinking and talking about the weather and how it affects our lives...from our moods, to where we vacation, to how we respond to events that are beyond our control.

And as the great equalizer, it doesn't matter what religion or social-economic status one may be, we're all subject to Mother Nature's fancy and fury.

Use the following ideas to help shape your true story (don’t answer each of these prompts, but use them as a launching point to your original piece):
  • Do you believe in climate change, or is it hype?
  • Have you ever experienced a catastrophic or terrifying weather event?
  • Does weather control your moods?
  • Do you plan to move somewhere where the weather is more suitable for you?
  • Has weather made or broken a special day in your life?

So for this month, write a creative, personal essay (500 words or less) with full of vivid details that involves the weather in a central role.

Good luck!
Click the blue "Submit Essay" button to the right to upload your story and enter the writing contest.

Title of Essay: 
When you submit your essay, title it as:  "Weather: ______"

Include the phrase "Weather" as the beginning of your essay title, but then make the rest of your story title unique.   Examples:
  • Weather: Life frogs in a slowly boiling pot
  • Weather: Holding hands on a rainy Paris afternoon
Rules: 
Three simple rules for the Stage of Life student writing contest. 

1) This is a Non-Fiction essay contest. 

2)  Essays are 500 words or less.

3)  Essay must be your original work.

Deadline: 
Midnight March 31, 2015 Pacific Time US

Results: 
The Winner will be posted on our writing contest winners page after April 26, 2015.

NOTE:  The winner will be contacted via a post on their uploaded StageofLife.com story once judging is complete (approx. 30 days after contest ending).  

An email will be sent to the winner(s) to get the address for the prize package approx. 1-2 months afterwards.

March 2015 Writing Contest

Enter Essay

Submit essay to StageofLife.com writing contest

(click to submit your essay)

Writing Contest Resources

Thought Provoking Videos about Weather:

"Vicki Arroyo:  Let’s Prepare for Our New Climate"

Ted Talk Talk on the WeatherAs Vicki Arroyo says, it's time to prepare our homes and cities for our changing climate, with its increased risk of flooding, drought and uncertainty. She illustrates this inspiring talk with bold projects from cities all over the world — local examples of thinking ahead.

"Gavin Pretor-Pinney:  Cloudy with a Chance of Joy"

Ted Talk Talk on the WeatherYou don't need to plan an exotic trip to find creative inspiration. Just look up, says Gavin Pretor-Pinney, founder of the Cloud Appreciation Society. As he shares charming photos of nature's finest aerial architecture, Pretor-Pinney calls for us all to take a step off the digital treadmill, lie back and admire the beauty in the sky above.

"Camille Seaman: Photos from a storm chaser"

Ted Talk Talk on the WeatherPhotographer Camille Seaman has been chasing storms for 5 years. In this talk she shows stunning, surreal photos of the heavens in tumult.

Education Prize Sponsors

Writing contest sponsor  Writing Contest Prize Sponsor

Don't forget that Stage of Life members get discounts on gift cards from Spa & Wellness and Applebee's

Writing Contest Prize Package

• The person who writes the 1st place essay will receive gift cards compliments of our education sponsors, SpaWeek and Applebee's.
  • National press release exposure for your essay from StageofLife.com
  • Bragging rights
Please thank our sponsors, SpaWeek and Applebee's for supporting the writing and literacy efforts on StageofLife.com
    Enter our Twitter Contest
    Enter Twitter Contest
    Contact StageofLife.com for National Writing ContestContact Us about this Writing Contest 
    ATTENTION TEACHERS:
    Language Arts Teacher Resources

Quote for Inspiration:

Quote about the weather“I have seen many storms in my life. Most storms have caught me by surprise, so I had to learn very quickly to look further and understand that I am not capable of controlling the weather, to exercise the art of patience and to respect the fury of nature.”  - Paulo Coelho

EXTRA INFORMATION AND RULES FOR THE WRITING CONTEST...

Writing Contest Rules on StageofLife.comBe Real.  Be Yourself
    The strongest submissions for this essay contest will use a personal tone and point-of-view writing style that shares your thoughts on the topic.  If you want to make your essay even stronger, we recommend doing a little research and adding quotes or a statistic (or two). 

Quick Rules:
    • Essays should be 500 words or less.
    • You are welcome to blog on StageofLife.com as much as you want, but only ONE essay submission per user for the writing contest is allowed.
    • Please be creative with your title, then type or cut and paste your full essay from a program like NotePad or TextEdit (don't use any formatting - just text, please) into the Story Details field (which will appear after you click the Submit Essay button above. 
    • Adjust the spacing of your essay within the essay submit form.
    • Title your essay using the instructions above so our Editors can find it in the story feeds in your life stage homepage on the website.  Example:  Here's where the high school student submissions get posted - High School
    • StageofLife.com is a non-partisan literacy initiative.  We judge the writing contest submissions not on the political or religious stance of our writers, but rather on how creative, original, passionate, and well written the essays are.  See below for more details on our judging policy.
    • Read these tips for good essay writing to be considered a writing contest finalist
    • You will need to login to StageofLife.com to submit your writing contest entry.  If you don't have a StageofLife.com login, please register for StageofLife.com (it's free).

StageofLife.com Prize Packages for Winning EssayPrize Package:  The winning writer will receive...

• A highlight as the Winning Essay on StageofLife.com
    • Prize from the writing contest sponsor mentioned above.
    • A mention and link to your essay in Stage of Life's national monthly press release - here's a link to one of our press releases for reference.
    • NOTE:  Winners will be contacted via a post on their story once judging is complete (approx. 30 days after contest ending).   An email will be sent to the winner to get the address for the prize package approx. 2-3 months afterwards.

International Writing Contests on StageofLife.comFree Essay Contest:

This is a free writing contest.  StageofLife.com does not require a submission fee. ONE  ESSAY ENTRY PER PERSON FOR THE WRITING CONTEST.  However, you are welcome to blog about your life or other topics outside of this writing contest at any time on StageofLife.com

Contest Deadline:  

Last day of the month at midnight Pacific Standard Time (US).   StageofLife.com time stamps all essays in Greenwich Mean Time (England) as we are an international writing initiative.  International submissions are welcome.

Winning writing contest essays on StageofLIfe.comWinning Essays: 

Of the submitted essays to StageofLife.com for a given writing contest prompt, one student winner and one adult winner will be selected.  The winner and semi-finalists will be announced after the 20th of the following month.  Winner and semi-finalists will be contacted by a StageofLife.com staffer via the email used to register for the website.

As we state in our Writing Contest Rules and Judging Criteria, student writers selected as our national essay finalists and winner(s) will demonstrate strong writing skills, a unique point-of-view, personal tone, originality, and realness in their essay. 

"Realness?"  Yes...realness. 

Blogging contests on StageofLife.comThe reason that journalists and organizations ranging from TIME.com to Mint Education have featured our essays (especially our teen posts) in the national media is because our bloggers all write from the heart.  Real people sharing real stories about their lives.  Combine this with our position as one of the only international, non-partisan, literacy platforms in the world and you'll find Stage of Life an open environment to share your ideas. 

Post Comments: 

We'd like to encourage all participants and readers to make comments on these writing contest essays.  Please just remember to keep all comments/posts/discussions civil and in good taste in each of the essay-blog threads, especially since some of our writing prompts are sensitive in nature.  Nasty comments, personal attacks, or other such comments are not allowed and will be removed should they come to our attention.

Judging:

If you have questions about the rules or judging criteria for our writing contests, you can visit our Rules & Judging Criteria page.

College student writing contest on Stage of LifeLast Words - Share Your Story: 

Our hope is that your writing contest submission will positively impact others and help with our mission of making the world a better place, one story at a time.  Your essay may inspire others or even better, give you an opportunity to share a story that's simply important to you.

After you've submitted your essay, feel free to share the link to your essay on Facebook or Twitter.  Our essays are judged by real Editors, not popularity, but we do like to spread the word about our national, grassroots writing contest.   Also, please share this writing contest with Language Arts, English and History teachers, or on your blog or website. 

If you know a teacher who would like a Stage of Life writing contest poster for his or her classroom, have them contact us.

About:

Read more about StageofLife.com and our mission

Good luck!  Scroll back up and click on the "Submit Essay" button to upload your essay.

Next