National writing contest for grandparents

Writing Contest for Grandparents

Grandparenting Writing Contest

Rules, prizes and online submission button below

Grandparents have a lot of wisdom to share with this world, and is here to celebrate and capture those stories from grandparents out there.  On this page you'll find the rules, details and online submission button for the free, national, writing contest for grandparents. 

This writing competition is a non-fiction, memoir, blogging, essay-style contest for any grandparent.  We want your authentic voice in your submission.

How to Enter?

1. Read rules below
  2. Read writing contest prompt below
  3. Submit your parenting blog or essay online to (as instructed below) via the BLUE "Submit Essay" button

Writing Contest Prizes

One winning essay from across the non-student life stages on will be selected to receive...
  • Spa & Wellness gift cards by SpaWeek$50 gift card from  Spa & Wellness Cards are good at over 8,000 spas in North America.  They are redeemable year-round and never expire. is excited to sponsor the monthly writing contest! FYI - Every writer, blogger, or reader gets 15% off Spa & Wellness gift cards from SpaWeek through 2014.
  • Writing Sponsor on - Applebee's$25 gift card from Applebee's.  Applebee’s is focused on serving good food to good people. Today, what was once a popular neighborhood restaurant has grown to become a popular restaurant in neighborhoods all across North America – with almost 2,000 locations and counting.
  • Stage of Life pen
  • Signed letter of Congratulations from
  • Acknowledgment as a national blogging contest winner.  Essay winners are posted each month here - Writing Contest Winners

Rules for the Writing Contest for Grandparents

• Essay must relate to both your life stage (grandparenting) and the essay theme (see below).
  • Essay must be your original work.
  • Essay can be no longer than 500 words.
  • Essay must be non-fiction and follow the form of a diary, journal, blog, memoir, or essay.  That is to say...we want real stories about real life...from you.
  • Once entered, essay will become a part of Stage of Life's public facing content so no foul language or inappropriate material.  Those entries will be removed.
  • Registration to Stage of Life is required to enter the writing contest (it's free) which will allow us to post your story to the public.

Enter the Grandparent Story Writing Contest Now

Please read below for details on the monthly writing contest and click the blue "Enter Contest" button to submit your essay.  Good luck!

Enter Writing Contest Below...

November 2015 Writing Contest
November 2015 Writing Contest

Writing hosts an international writing contest each month for people of all ages.  Below you'll find the prizes, participating authors, rules, and steps in how to submit your essay for this month's life topic prompt.  View winners of past writing contests too.  We wish you the best!  Good luck!

Submit Essay
November 2015 Writing ContestFor our November 2015 writing contest, we want to hear your thoughts about what you would do if you won the lottery.

• "Why do people play the lottery, or why do people gamble, period?  You know, it's with the hope of winning something more." --Derek Kilmer

Do you ever fantasize about what it would be like to win the lottery? What would you do with the money? Can money truly buy happiness? These are the questions that we want you to wrestle with for our November 2015 essay contest.

It’s up to you to decide how you want to frame the your essay which answers the question, “What would you do if you won the lottery?”  Maybe you’d like to take a money is the root of all evil approach.  Maybe you’d like to take more of a money fantasy approach and dream up what you would buy if you won a huge lottery jackpot. 
Craft your personal essay (500 words or less) that shows your thoughts on winning the lottery.
Click the blue "Submit Essay" button below to upload your story and enter the writing contest. Prize Packages for Winning EssayTitle of Essay 
When you submit your essay, title it as:  "Winning the Lottery: ______"

Include the phrase "Winning the Lottery" as the beginning of your essay title, but then make the rest of your story title unique.   Examples:

• Winning the Lottery: Big Dreams Need Big Money
  • Winning the Lottery: You’ve Got to Play to Win
  • Winning the Lottery: All You Ever Need is Inside of You

Good luck!  Click blue button to submit your essay...

Submit essay to writing contest

Three quick rules:  1) 500 words or less.  2) Original work.  3) Non-fiction.

NOTE: registration is required to submit your essay. is visited by over 750,000 students, parents, teachers, writers, and bloggers per year.  Our writing contests have been nationally recognized by leading authors (see our author sponsor page), Mashable,, Wall Street Journal MarketWatch, and other media outlets as the leader for getting writing outside the classroom. 

See the full rules below. 

Midnight November 30, 2015 Pacific Time US

Prize Sponsors

Writing contest sponsor  Writing Contest Prize Sponsor
  • The person who writes the 1st place essay across the non-student life stages on this month will receive gift cards compliments of our education sponsors, Spa & Wellness Gift Cards by SpaWeek and Applebee's.
  • Bragging rights
Please thank our sponsors this month Spa & Wellness Gift Cards by, and Applebee's for supporting the writing and literacy efforts on

Don't forget that users get
 discounts on gift cards from
Spa & Wellness and Applebee's
Writing Contest Prize Package

Author Prize Sponsors 

National authors often sponsor writing contests with signed copies of their novels or books.  Our national author sponsors for this writing contest include...

Author: Gerald Hansen

• Book: An Embarrassment of Riches (5 copies donated!)
  • Website:
  • Quotation: Not many people know this, but my first book, An Embarrassment of Riches, was inspired by true events. My parents were retired in my mother's hometown of Derry, N. Ireland, and my dad won around $1,000,000 in the lottery. Of course it changed the lives of us all, most for the better, some for the worse. And, though the money has since dwindled, a few in the extended family are still smarting. While writing that novel, I set out to do what the wonderful Stage of Life is all about: share my experiences and thoughts, though veiled in fiction. And after the book's shocking success, I know from readers that I have fulfilled the second part of Stage of Life's mission: touched the lives of many others. I know I have made countless readers groan, wince, and laugh out loud (according to Colin Quinn, a loyal fan). For that I am truly grateful. And it wouldn't have happened without the lottery win. While mine is a cautionary tale, more a guide of what-you-shouldn't-do for the relatives of lottery winners, I hope it can inspire people and make them realize family and love are more important than money.

Author: Patricia Wood

• Book: Lottery (2 copies donated!)
  • Website:

Author: Keren David

• Book: Lia's Guide to Winning the Lottery
  • Quotation: Who doesn't dream of winning a fortune? I loved exploring this idea when I wrote Lia's Guide to Winning the Lottery. There was one problem though. A story is propelled by conflict. When you have so much money, then you can often buy your way out of trouble. Many conflicts can be all too easily solved. So my advice when writing your stories is to look for the emotional problems that winning money can bring. The envy, the arguments, the distrust and uncertainty. That's where the conflict lie, and  that's where you'll find your story. I'm now re-imagining Lia's Guide to Winning the Lottery all over again as we adapt it into a musical. And it's even more fun second time round!

Writing Contest Resources

Ted Talk Video - How to Buy Happiness:

A Ted Talk by Michael Norton: How To Buy Happiness

Crash from Winning
An article from Forbes magazine about the crash lottery winners face after they win the lottery.

Language Arts Teacher ResourcesWriting Contest Resource Links

Changing the World, One Story at a Time

Writing Contest Rules on StageofLife.comBe Real.  Be Yourself
The strongest submissions for this essay contest will use a personal tone and point-of-view writing style that shares your thoughts on the topic.  If you want to make your essay even stronger, we recommend doing a little research and adding quotes or a statistic (or two). 

Quick Rules:
  • Essays should be 500 words or less.
  • Essays must be your original work.
  • Essays must be non-fiction.
  • You are welcome to blog on as much as you want, but only ONE essay submission per user for the writing contest is allowed.
  • Please be creative with your title, then type or cut and paste your full essay from a program like NotePad or TextEdit (don't use any formatting - just text, please) into the Story Details field (which will appear after you click the Submit Essay button above. 
  • Adjust the spacing of your essay within the essay submit form.
  • Title your essay using the instructions above so our Editors can find it in the story feeds in your life stage homepage on the website.  Example:  Here's where the high school student submissions get posted - High School
  • is a non-partisan literacy initiative.  We judge the writing contest submissions not on the political or religious stance of our writers, but rather on how creative, original, passionate, and well written the essays are.  See below for more details on our judging policy.
  • Read these tips for good essay writing to be considered a writing contest finalist
  • You will need to login to to submit your writing contest entry.  If you don't have a login, please register for (it's free). Prize Packages for Winning EssayPrize Package:  The winning writer will receive...

• A highlight as the Winning Essay on
  • Prize from the writing contest sponsor mentioned above.
  • A mention and link to your essay in Stage of Life's national monthly press release - here's a link to one of our press releases for reference.
  • NOTE:  Winners will be contacted via a post on their story once judging is complete (approx. 30 days after contest ending).   An email will be sent to the winner to get the address for the prize package approx. 2-3 months afterwards.

International Writing Contests on StageofLife.comFree Essay Contest:

This is a free writing contest. does not require a submission fee. ONE  ESSAY ENTRY PER PERSON FOR THE WRITING CONTEST.  However, you are welcome to blog about your life or other topics outside of this writing contest at any time on

Contest Deadline:  

Last day of the month at midnight Pacific Standard Time (US). time stamps all essays in Greenwich Mean Time (England) as we are an international writing initiative.  International submissions are welcome.

Winning writing contest essays on StageofLIfe.comWinning Essays: 

Of the submitted essays to for a given writing contest prompt, one student winner and one adult winner will be selected.  The winner and semi-finalists will be announced after the 20th of the following month.  Winner and semi-finalists will be contacted by a staffer via the email used to register for the website.

As we state in our Writing Contest Rules and Judging Criteria, student writers selected as our national essay finalists and winner(s) will demonstrate strong writing skills, a unique point-of-view, personal tone, originality, and realness in their essay. 

"Realness?"  Yes...realness. 

Blogging contests on StageofLife.comThe reason that journalists and organizations ranging from to Mint Education have featured our essays (especially our teen posts) in the national media is because our bloggers all write from the heart.  Real people sharing real stories about their lives.  Combine this with our position as one of the only international, non-partisan, literacy platforms in the world and you'll find Stage of Life an open environment to share your ideas. 

Post Comments: 

We'd like to encourage all participants and readers to make comments on these writing contest essays.  Please just remember to keep all comments/posts/discussions civil and in good taste in each of the essay-blog threads, especially since some of our writing prompts are sensitive in nature.  Nasty comments, personal attacks, or other such comments are not allowed and will be removed should they come to our attention.

If you have questions about the rules or judging criteria for our writing contests, you can visit our Rules & Judging Criteria page.

College student writing contest on Stage of LifeLast Words - Share Your Story: 

Our hope is that your writing contest submission will positively impact others and help with our mission of making the world a better place, one story at a time.  Your essay may inspire others or even better, give you an opportunity to share a story that's simply important to you.

After you've submitted your essay, feel free to share the link to your essay on Facebook or Twitter.  Our essays are judged by real Editors, not popularity, but we do like to spread the word about our national, grassroots writing contest.   Also, please share this writing contest with Language Arts, English and History teachers, or on your blog or website. 

If you know a teacher who would like a Stage of Life writing contest poster for his or her classroom, have them contact us.

Read more about and our mission by clicking throughout the website.  You can find the "About Us" link below in the footer.  If you need to contact us about this writing contest, you can do so here.

Contact for National Writing Contest

Good luck!  Scroll back up and click on the "Submit Essay" button to upload your essay.

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.