Writing Community about Grandparenting

Share Your Grandparenting Story

Share a Grandparenting Story.  Explore Grandparenting Resources and Coupons...

Stage of Life® is a free writing community for grandparents designed around your life, your grandchildren, and the idea that we are all...well...getting a little bit older.  Get involved with our educational mission:  Share a story about your grandchildren or your grandparents and explore our resources for grandparents such as - statistics about grandparents, quotes about grandparents, videos for grandparents, etiquette for grandparents, and more. Plus save money with our printable coupons for grandparents.  Whether you're a Baby Boomer or a young grandparent, we look forward to reading your essays and helping you save money as you journey through this exciting phase of "grandparenthood."  Get started now...

Enter StageofLife.com grandparent writing contest Twitter Contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for grandparents on StageofLife.com
Enter the international writing contest for grandparents: 
  April | May 2016
"Secret of Happiness"

Don't have time to write today?
Enter our new, "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.
Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com
Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's coupon code from StageofLife.com     Lenovo computer discount for Stage of Life members

Best of our Bloggers

Recent Writing Contest Winners

Winning Essay WritersWinning Writing Contest EssaysBefore you scroll down to read the essays, stories, and blogs being submitted to StageofLife.com, let's celebrate the recent writing contest winners.  We select one essay each month from across all of the non-student life stages to win our monthly blogging contests

Basically...these winning essays are selected from all of you "grown-ups" out there writing on Stage of Life...

Past Writing Contest Winners

Read Our Grandparent Stories

I am the mother of 2 biological sons and an adopted daughter ( adopted her when she was a teen). 1 son has no children yet. Other son has teenage stepchild and his wife is expecting their 1st child. Daughter has our 1st grandchild, then married and had her 2nd child (our 3rd grandchild) and now expecting her 3rd child. We have always helped all 3 of our children anyway we could. Our daughter we have helped more due to the majority of the time she had been a single parent.she...
I'm a step grandma and my husband is a grandpa that lives in same town as grand baby. The other grand parents live out of town. So when they come to see the grand child they get Friday , Saturday and Sunday. Either staying at grand baby's house therefore spending the whole weekend. Or some times mothers sisters house. We are the only grandparents living in the same town. We get squeezed in one hour every 4-6 weeks for a one hour dinner. Like us getting the meal an...
The Secret of Happiness: This Boy Brought Joy The day my grandson started kindergarten was bittersweet. I had spent three of his preschool years with him after losing my job, but I found out that happiness isn’t necessarily related to a real job or payment in cash. I can’t begin to enumerate the wonderful things I learned while sharing each day with him. I got re-acquainted with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 20 years after we first met.Turtle Power i...
I always wanted to be a mother. When our first child was born in 1972, my husband and I agreed that I would stay home and spend full time with this much-loved little girl. I could always finish my teacher training later.However, my husband, an amateur astronomer, wanted to travel to West Africa the following summer to view a solar eclipse. Now at home, it fell to me to plan that rather daunting trip. Spurred on by his wistful “Wouldn’t it be great to watch the eclipse f...
Planning for Play – Keep it SimpleWhen I was a teacher, my lesson plan book went to school with me every day. During summer vacation I planned the year’s goals, objectives, and activities; and during short breaks and weekends I tweaked them to allow for the emergent curriculum that happily sneaks in when we allow it to do so.When I began caring for my granddaughter nearly five years ago I planned ahead also. At first I simply made sure that the house was dusted and the c...
My son who is married but doesn't live with his wife or son isn't allowed in his mother in law's house to visit his son.This is the question what are his rights?My son is still married to his son's mother.Is there a legal paper he can get giving him permission to visit his son?...
Our daughter in law has decided that her kids (our Grandkids) do not need to go to school, not even homeschooled. My wife and I disagree but do not want to cause trouble by doing anything about it. We feel that all kids need an education as well as the social aspect of going to school and mixing with other kids. They are both bright kids but have no social skills at all. They do not know how to have a conversation except with their mother. They have no set times for anything,...
In most marriage ceremonies a statement is made to the couple, "two shall become one".for the first 20 years of our marriage..My husband is no longer one with me. He is one but It is with our Adult married children. Our first daughter is pregnant. Time came for her. 4D ultrasound. She invited her mother to in law and excluded me. My heart felt crushed. My daughtet stumbled around fabricating statements, how the ultrasound was Tuesday, but how she corrected herselfBefore...
Be The Change: One Person at a TimeThings have changed since I was young, some for the good, and some not so good. The new technology has made it possible for people to communicate with others around the world in real time, which has brought families together, who previously had not seen each other in years. In fact, this year I was able to attend a Christmas party at my daughter’s home over 500 miles away through Skype, and even watched the grandkids open their gifts. How...
Ever since I was a kid, I have always wanted to do something important. I wanted to be the childhood figures I’d seen in cartoons, like Pocahontas. I wanted to be as caring and understanding as Snow White. I wanted to change lives like Mulan. When you’re a kid, everything seems easy, the world is at your feet, and you have this mindset that when you get older you can do anything. Now that I am older, nothing is simple, the world seems out of reach, and I know life isn’t bound...
For months my young grandchild has been talking about her birthday and inviting me. I am in the depths of despair to learn I am not invited on the day. It is just six days before the birthday and I mentioned it as I was leaving, I want to ask why, was in shock.I am invited later to a big bash but I already have plans. My son and his partner had an argument about another situation and I do not want to impact their partnership. I could move back east but I adore my sweet littl...
Winning the lottery can be a) a game akin to a childhood daydreaming;b) a serious spiritual exploration of greed and generosity; or c) a way to clarify one's values.Or any combination of these.I would ask myself the question: How would winning a lot of money change my life? Would it be mostly good or mostly complicated? How would it affect my relationships? My lifestyle? Will big money lead to greed or generosity?Mission, vision and values: If I had to present a bus...
Even More Lucky!by Christine A. Holliday I figure I win the lottery every day that I wake up with a place to work, a family to support me, a faith that inspires me, friends to share my life’s journey, pastimes to entertain and challenge me, and my health, which makes all of these “daily prizes” possible. But, even at my happiest and most productive, I consider how much difference winning a large sum of money would make in my life. At my place of work, a private all-girls ...
My grandfather is dead,these words put together should never be said.They say he is still here within me,but it is not the same as it used to be.I miss his jokes, his voice, his laugh,How did time go by so fast?It has only been two months since he diedeveryday since then I have cried.Everyone tries to lend a hand,but they did not know him like I did; so they cannot understand.I am so lost, so broken, I am DONE!Dear God, please know that you have WON!Yo...
A family vacation that I will never forget was to visit my grandmother in south Mississippi, she lived just a few miles from the beach in the little town of Pass Christian. We were to be there for a week but we ended up staying only a couple of days, we arrived late on Friday August 15, 1969 and left to return back home to north Louisiana early Sunday morning August 17.I had just turned six years old, but this time is very vivid in my mind. We toured around like we normally ...
My sons and daughter and I and a total of their four kids took a cruise to Baja California. It really is a perfect family vacation because it’s self-contained. All of the food, a state room, two swimming pools, entertainment, and a gym onboard made a fun-filled week for us all. There was a club for the kids with a secure registration policy offering games and fun, allowing the parents an hour or two by themselves. My favorite part became our evening meals. We had the sa...
The year was 1957.Sixty-one desks on wooden runners were occupied by at least as many third graders. Instead of the usual intimidating nun standing in the front of the room, the class focused their gaze on a petite young woman with dark-cropped hair and friendly blue eyes known as Miss Catherine. From the start, I knew third grade would be memorable. Miss Catherine had the ability to generate excitement and infuse her lessons with novelty and fun. To be sure,...
How quickly the fingers point at teachers when the educational system has failed so many students; the same students that go out into our world as our leaders, job creators, and contributors of society. A reality check shows that teachers are only a part of the equation for the epidemic levels of illiteracy in the 21st Century. Understanding the subtleties of our educational system will lead to a resolution.According to the Department of Education, the Office of Educational...
My son-in-law and I got off to a very bad start, but once there were grandkids I love them very much, did my best to make repairs, and do my best to see the kids. They don't live very far, but I only get to see them maybe 4 times a year, last time on holiday without son-in-law. Now I was pleased to be invited to go on holiday with their whole family. While we were discussing where over a week or two, I made a suggestion and my daughter replied no, they were going with the...
I am a 53 year old single woman . I have 2 sons one has a son and a daughter that is not his biological daughter . I moved here from the east coast when I knew my son and girlfriend were not being responsible with the kids. They are not drug addicts , but they were lazy , and let utilities get shut of and s forth . My ex husband who never paid child support for his own children, went to court in Ar, and got guardianship of the kids , they promised me that they would always le...
Our 20 year old grandson was allowed to move into our home by my husband. I disaproved but was told by my husband that he didnt care whether I liked it or not he was moving in. I am disabled and require help with many of my daily activities. The grandson dId not do any housework, paid no rent, paid for no groceries, I had to wash his clothes, used chewing tobacco in our home after he was told it would not be tolerated, he worked an my husband handled his money (he said he co...
Only the Lord above can control the weather. Whatever we get, we have to work with.2004 is remembered for its notorious hurricane season.She was excited to be five years old on August 13th. My sweet granddaughter Maya’s birthday party was scheduled at Lowry Park Zoo. She had attended the preschool program which was set-up within the park. Would you believe, on just that weekend when all the families and her friends were looking forward to gather, there arose a hurricane...
Hi:I am 55, single mom of two great adult children. My son and I seem to butte heads on several matters. Most recently, I wanted to go to VA to visit my son & daughter in law. I texted my son and "I am thinking of coming out end of March spring break". I said I didn't want them taking off work, just wanted to spend some time there and at the beach. That I wanted to get away and relax. It is their anniversary and my son's birthday that week. Well... I then realized he would ...
A New Normal Think of a garden hose, lazily resting in concentric circles upon silent ground. The nozzle is off, no water is running. Someone turns the spigot, slowly, slowly, until reaching full pressure. The nozzle is still closed so no water bursts forth. But the pressure. It builds, and builds, until that hose wiggles, thrashes, and moves in an array of eccentric patterns. That's what Parkinson's does. The pressure starts slowly and builds until there is no optio...
Tackling religion with your children can be a challenge in any household. My husband is Christian, and I was raised with a mix of Native American and aging hippie views. We had agreed early on that when the time came we would expose our kids to a variety of religions and views to give them an idea of what was out there.Before bed one night, our three-year old started asking questions. My husband saw an opportunity to teach her about his beliefs."Well," He began. "God ...
After being divorced for 3 plus years, my ex husband remarried a wonderful woman. She and I have not met, but we talk and confirm who wants to buy what for Christmas gifts for my kids. Like I said, she is wonderful. But recently I became a Grandma! My daughter had been married for 4 years and as she finished her graduate degree, she and her hubby decided they were ready. It did not take long for me and my son in laws mother to get on board. Nine and a half months later,...
I haven't lived in the same state as my grandmother for years now, and the last time I saw her was about three years ago. However, no matter how long I’m away from my home town, I still remember going to her house every single day for dinner. She’s probably the best cook I’ve ever met, and she’s never been taught how to do any of it. She just knows. Maybe it’s because she’s a grandma, or maybe because she’s just amazing and knows how to make food on her own. I don’t really ha...
Recently I’ve experienced a milestone. I have been delighting in the fulfillment of a promise I made to myself. Often, people my age shelve their dreams and neglect to consider their possibilities. They have traded in what used to be important to them for what they have come to settle for, telling themselves that it is too late. I refuse to believe that it is ever too late. When I was young, I wanted to be a writer. I had no idea what was in store for me then. The roa...
My grandma is the best. She takes care of me. I don't no what I would do with out her. I lived with her since I was 6 years old. My mom died Died on my birthday .I miss her so much. My grandmother and my grandfather take care of me now. That's why I love them so much. If I won I would take them to apple bees. Plus I'm only a little girl....
This is my first year in 22 years that I have not had to buy school clothes for a child's first day of school. It is also my first year as a grandmother. I sit and watch my beautiful new granddaughter sleeping and look over at her adoring mother. Tomorrow is her first day back to work. She is crying at the thought.As I watch her, I think about the many "first days" she will experience. At the same time, a commercial comes on for "back to school discounts". This makes me thi...

Advertiser

Coupons for Life - 5% to 50% Off

As an educational writing initiative, StageofLife.com is fortunate to have the support of hundreds of brands who support this writing community and our literacy mission.  Because of that, you can save 5% to 50% off with Stage of Life's free My Life Rewards® program. 

Get discounts at Applebee's, Papa John's, Lenovo, AAMCO, and many more...

Applebee's gift card discountDiscount on pizza at PapaJohns.com from StageofLife.com Lenovo discount from StageofLife.com AAMCO auto discount from StageofLife.com