Writing Community about Grandparenting

Share Your Grandparenting Story

Share a Grandparenting Story.  Explore Grandparenting Resources and Coupons...

Stage of Life® is a free writing community for grandparents designed around your life, your grandchildren, and the idea that we are all...well...getting a little bit older.  Get involved with our educational mission:  Share a story about your grandchildren or your grandparents and explore our resources for grandparents such as - statistics about grandparents, quotes about grandparents, videos for grandparents, etiquette for grandparents, and more. Plus save money with our printable coupons for grandparents.  Whether you're a Baby Boomer or a young grandparent, we look forward to reading your essays and helping you save money as you journey through this exciting phase of "grandparenthood."  Get started now...

Enter StageofLife.com grandparent writing contest Twitter Contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for grandparents on StageofLife.com
Enter the international writing contest for grandparents: 
August 2015
"Family Vacations"
Don't have time to write today?
Enter our new, "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.
Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com
Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's coupon code from StageofLife.com     Lenovo computer discount for Stage of Life members

Best of our Bloggers

Recent Writing Contest Winners

Winning Essay WritersWinning Writing Contest EssaysBefore you scroll down to read the essays, stories, and blogs being submitted to StageofLife.com, let's celebrate the recent writing contest winners.  We select one essay each month from across all of the non-student life stages to win our monthly blogging contests

Basically...these winning essays are selected from all of you "grown-ups" out there writing on Stage of Life...

Past Writing Contest Winners

Read Our Grandparent Stories

A family vacation that I will never forget was to visit my grandmother in south Mississippi, she lived just a few miles from the beach in the little town of Pass Christian. We were to be there for a week but we ended up staying only a couple of days, we arrived late on Friday August 15, 1969 and left to return back home to north Louisiana early Sunday morning August 17.I had just turned six years old, but this time is very vivid in my mind. We toured around like we normally ...
My sons and daughter and I and a total of their four kids took a cruise to Baja California. It really is a perfect family vacation because it’s self-contained. All of the food, a state room, two swimming pools, entertainment, and a gym onboard made a fun-filled week for us all. There was a club for the kids with a secure registration policy offering games and fun, allowing the parents an hour or two by themselves. My favorite part became our evening meals. We had the sa...
The year was 1957.Sixty-one desks on wooden runners were occupied by at least as many third graders. Instead of the usual intimidating nun standing in the front of the room, the class focused their gaze on a petite young woman with dark-cropped hair and friendly blue eyes known as Miss Catherine. From the start, I knew third grade would be memorable. Miss Catherine had the ability to generate excitement and infuse her lessons with novelty and fun. To be sure,...
How quickly the fingers point at teachers when the educational system has failed so many students; the same students that go out into our world as our leaders, job creators, and contributors of society. A reality check shows that teachers are only a part of the equation for the epidemic levels of illiteracy in the 21st Century. Understanding the subtleties of our educational system will lead to a resolution.According to the Department of Education, the Office of Educational...
My son-in-law and I got off to a very bad start, but once there were grandkids I love them very much, did my best to make repairs, and do my best to see the kids. They don't live very far, but I only get to see them maybe 4 times a year, last time on holiday without son-in-law. Now I was pleased to be invited to go on holiday with their whole family. While we were discussing where over a week or two, I made a suggestion and my daughter replied no, they were going with the...
I am a 53 year old single woman . I have 2 sons one has a son and a daughter that is not his biological daughter . I moved here from the east coast when I knew my son and girlfriend were not being responsible with the kids. They are not drug addicts , but they were lazy , and let utilities get shut of and s forth . My ex husband who never paid child support for his own children, went to court in Ar, and got guardianship of the kids , they promised me that they would always le...
Our 20 year old grandson was allowed to move into our home by my husband. I disaproved but was told by my husband that he didnt care whether I liked it or not he was moving in. I am disabled and require help with many of my daily activities. The grandson dId not do any housework, paid no rent, paid for no groceries, I had to wash his clothes, used chewing tobacco in our home after he was told it would not be tolerated, he worked an my husband handled his money (he said he co...
Only the Lord above can control the weather. Whatever we get, we have to work with.2004 is remembered for its notorious hurricane season.She was excited to be five years old on August 13th. My sweet granddaughter Maya’s birthday party was scheduled at Lowry Park Zoo. She had attended the preschool program which was set-up within the park. Would you believe, on just that weekend when all the families and her friends were looking forward to gather, there arose a hurricane...
Hi:I am 55, single mom of two great adult children. My son and I seem to butte heads on several matters. Most recently, I wanted to go to VA to visit my son & daughter in law. I texted my son and "I am thinking of coming out end of March spring break". I said I didn't want them taking off work, just wanted to spend some time there and at the beach. That I wanted to get away and relax. It is their anniversary and my son's birthday that week. Well... I then realized he would ...
A New Normal Think of a garden hose, lazily resting in concentric circles upon silent ground. The nozzle is off, no water is running. Someone turns the spigot, slowly, slowly, until reaching full pressure. The nozzle is still closed so no water bursts forth. But the pressure. It builds, and builds, until that hose wiggles, thrashes, and moves in an array of eccentric patterns. That's what Parkinson's does. The pressure starts slowly and builds until there is no optio...
Tackling religion with your children can be a challenge in any household. My husband is Christian, and I was raised with a mix of Native American and aging hippie views. We had agreed early on that when the time came we would expose our kids to a variety of religions and views to give them an idea of what was out there.Before bed one night, our three-year old started asking questions. My husband saw an opportunity to teach her about his beliefs."Well," He began. "God ...
After being divorced for 3 plus years, my ex husband remarried a wonderful woman. She and I have not met, but we talk and confirm who wants to buy what for Christmas gifts for my kids. Like I said, she is wonderful. But recently I became a Grandma! My daughter had been married for 4 years and as she finished her graduate degree, she and her hubby decided they were ready. It did not take long for me and my son in laws mother to get on board. Nine and a half months later,...
I haven't lived in the same state as my grandmother for years now, and the last time I saw her was about three years ago. However, no matter how long I’m away from my home town, I still remember going to her house every single day for dinner. She’s probably the best cook I’ve ever met, and she’s never been taught how to do any of it. She just knows. Maybe it’s because she’s a grandma, or maybe because she’s just amazing and knows how to make food on her own. I don’t really ha...
Recently I’ve experienced a milestone. I have been delighting in the fulfillment of a promise I made to myself. Often, people my age shelve their dreams and neglect to consider their possibilities. They have traded in what used to be important to them for what they have come to settle for, telling themselves that it is too late. I refuse to believe that it is ever too late. When I was young, I wanted to be a writer. I had no idea what was in store for me then. The roa...
My grandma is the best. She takes care of me. I don't no what I would do with out her. I lived with her since I was 6 years old. My mom died Died on my birthday .I miss her so much. My grandmother and my grandfather take care of me now. That's why I love them so much. If I won I would take them to apple bees. Plus I'm only a little girl....
This is my first year in 22 years that I have not had to buy school clothes for a child's first day of school. It is also my first year as a grandmother. I sit and watch my beautiful new granddaughter sleeping and look over at her adoring mother. Tomorrow is her first day back to work. She is crying at the thought.As I watch her, I think about the many "first days" she will experience. At the same time, a commercial comes on for "back to school discounts". This makes me thi...
I had a little pony,His name was Dapple Grey,I lent him to a lady,To ride a mile away.She whipped him, she slashed him,She rode him through the mire;I would not lend my pony now,For all the lady's hire.
We sang this song as children, and I dreamed of being a bareback rider in the circus. You pretended you were a roping, riding cowboy. Your bicycle had just had the training wheels removed. I was setting a speed record on the antique...
WORDS TO THE GRAD: BE PATIENT AND OBSERVEGrowing up I know I inherited the shy gene. I now realize that my handicap wasn’t as detrimental as I thought at the time. Because I was reluctant to get into the thick of things, I became more of an observer, rather than a participant.I didn’t smoke because I was so nervous that I feared people would look at me and thinkI wasn’t doing it right. Saved myself from lung cancer right there!I didn’t drink because I didn’t like th...
Are you old enough to remember the Art Linkletter Show and the segment, Kids Say the Darndest Things? When my daughters were little, they said so many funny things. I wish I had written them all down because now I can’t remember half of them. My grandchildren are the witty ones now, and I have vowed to record their sayings, not just for myself, but for my daughter to enjoy as well. A few weeks ago Grampy and I were visiting our daughter and her family of three beautiful c...
Being a teenager raised by a mother who was a teen when she gave birth to you can be a dangerous path to follow. Growing up in a home where the parent had to give up their teenage years to raise two babies can be a place where you feel so alone and scared to ask those important questions that you need answers to. I looked for those answers in the wrong places. I wanted to feel loved no matter what. I craved attention from someone of the opposite sex. I thought i...
You are not supposed to fall in love with your friends with benefits. It is the common rule in seduction, you fall in love- you lose. And nobody likes losing. But there are very few that do not fall. Because even though your mind knows it is all play-pretend, somehow you start to fall for all the acting. And when you fall in seduction, you get bruised and bumped and sometimes-most times- you bleed because somewhere in between the contract, in little print, it was written that...
I pulled my car into the garage, turned off the engine, and let out a big sigh. Good God, she'd be waiting! It had been a usual stressful day at work, and I wasn't ready for her. At the time, I worked as a chaplain in a nursing home where residents, family members, and staff alike face daily the more difficult realities of life. I steeled myself for what I knew was to come, went out the service door into the yard and there she was - all 3½ feet and 35 pounds.Lily is my wi...
My first experience as a grandmother occurred on January 25, 1985 when my oldest granddaughter was born. I was present for her debut into the world and it was an intensely moving experience. But in hindsight, I really had no idea what experiences this would bring into my life. She came home after her time in the hospital during a snowstorm which prevented driving up our country dirt lane. Her mother was already at home with me, so I brought this tiny little bundle, held fi...
My relationships with both my maternal and paternal grandparents have fluctuated as I’ve grown older and although I’m not exceptionally close to any of them, I deeply cherish the time that we have spent together and the memories that flood back when I think of them and talk to them now. They have all taught me wonderful things and are beautiful, dynamic people with huge hearts. I have very vivid, specific memories of each of them spending time with me alone or w...
This month I turned sixty. I have two adult daughters, three grandsons and two granddaughters. It is a milestone for me in many ways. Ten years ago, at the age of fifty, and about to become a grandmother for the first time, I found myself, once again, in treatment for anorexia. I was fighting to remain alive, engaged in a thirty year battle with this complex and devastating disorder. In researching the women of my family for an album I was working on for my daughters (...
"It's a pirate!" the little girl yelled.All parents have experienced it. You know what I'm talking about. That time when the innocent child blurts out something that cannot be called back once it leaves those innocent lips. I was at the airport, trying to get on a flight in O'Hare with about 400 other people. Half were waiting for their flight to load, while my half waited for our plane, sitting at the gate, waiting to unload. Needless to say, we were all weary travelers...
ON BEING SCHIZOPHRENICBy Margery WakefieldMy eyes are different from your eyes. No problem.I weigh more than you do. No problem.You are taller than I am. No problem.My brain is different from your brain. BIG problem, especially if I happen to have schizophrenia, which I do. Because I am schizophrenic, I can be fired from my job, thought of as a deranged killer, called names like “nuts,” “psycho,” “fruitcake,” “wacko,” “crazy,” “weirdo,” loony,” and many othe...
My stepdaughter to whom I have been very kind and loving.Made quilts and clothing for just does not like me. She is coming to visit and refuses to tell us the exact date.She tells us its the first week in the month she is coming.I work so I would have to request time off but really am not sure what date she is coming. I can only take off 2 days so I really need to know what date she is coming. I think she doesn't want me taking any time off so she doesn't have to have m...
I am sad to say that of my family members, my grandparents are the two who I see and talk to the least right now. When I was younger I saw them all the time. In the spring, they would come up from Florida because of the warmer weather and stay up here at their own house until the middle of autumn when the weather began to turn cold again. Sorta like Mary Poppins, they stayed until the winds changed. A few years back, they moved down to Florida permanently, after the trips...
Our granddaughter is 7 and dealing with her father's third deployment. It's hard on the families of our military soldiers and sometimes we don't realize the impact it has on their children.Our Granddaughter this past week was visiting and told me, ( mimi) that she loves to fly on the airplane but doesn't like having to say goodbye when the trip is over.She has had a tough week for a little one. When she returned home last week she had to face losing her best friends...

Advertiser

Coupons for Life - 5% to 50% Off

As an educational writing initiative, StageofLife.com is fortunate to have the support of hundreds of brands who support this writing community and our literacy mission.  Because of that, you can save 5% to 50% off with Stage of Life's free My Life Rewards® program. 

Get discounts at Applebee's, Papa John's, Lenovo, AAMCO, and many more...

Applebee's gift card discountDiscount on pizza at PapaJohns.com from StageofLife.com Lenovo discount from StageofLife.com AAMCO auto discount from StageofLife.com