Writing Community about Grandparenting

Share Your Grandparenting Story

Share a Grandparenting Story.  Explore Grandparenting Resources and Coupons...

Stage of Life® is a free writing community for grandparents designed around your life, your grandchildren, and the idea that we are all...well...getting a little bit older.  Get involved with our educational mission:  Share a story about your grandchildren or your grandparents and explore our resources for grandparents such as - statistics about grandparents, quotes about grandparents, videos for grandparents, etiquette for grandparents, and more. Plus save money with our printable coupons for grandparents.  Whether you're a Baby Boomer or a young grandparent, we look forward to reading your essays and helping you save money as you journey through this exciting phase of "grandparenthood."  Get started now...

Enter StageofLife.com grandparent writing contest Twitter Contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for grandparents on StageofLife.com
Enter the national writing contest for grandparents: Nov. 2014

"Food for Thought"
Don't have time to write today?
Enter our new, "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.
Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com
Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's coupon code from StageofLife.com     Lenovo computer discount for Stage of Life members

Best of our Bloggers

Recent Writing Contest Winners

Winning Essay WritersWinning Writing Contest EssaysBefore you scroll down to read the essays, stories, and blogs being submitted to StageofLife.com, let's celebrate the recent writing contest winners.  We select one essay each month from across all of the non-student life stages to win our monthly blogging contests

Basically...these winning essays are selected from all of you "grown-ups" out there writing on Stage of Life...

Past Writing Contest Winners

Read Our Grandparent Stories

I haven't lived in the same state as my grandmother for years now, and the last time I saw her was about three years ago. However, no matter how long I’m away from my home town, I still remember going to her house every single day for dinner. She’s probably the best cook I’ve ever met, and she’s never been taught how to do any of it. She just knows. Maybe it’s because she’s a grandma, or maybe because she’s just amazing and knows how to make food on her own. I don’t really ha...
Recently I’ve experienced a milestone. I have been delighting in the fulfillment of a promise I made to myself. Often, people my age shelve their dreams and neglect to consider their possibilities. They have traded in what used to be important to them for what they have come to settle for, telling themselves that it is too late. I refuse to believe that it is ever too late. When I was young, I wanted to be a writer. I had no idea what was in store for me then. The roa...
My grandma is the best. She takes care of me. I don't no what I would do with out her. I lived with her since I was 6 years old. My mom died Died on my birthday .I miss her so much. My grandmother and my grandfather take care of me now. That's why I love them so much. If I won I would take them to apple bees. Plus I'm only a little girl....
This is my first year in 22 years that I have not had to buy school clothes for a child's first day of school. It is also my first year as a grandmother. I sit and watch my beautiful new granddaughter sleeping and look over at her adoring mother. Tomorrow is her first day back to work. She is crying at the thought.As I watch her, I think about the many "first days" she will experience. At the same time, a commercial comes on for "back to school discounts". This makes me thi...
I had a little pony,His name was Dapple Grey,I lent him to a lady,To ride a mile away.She whipped him, she slashed him,She rode him through the mire;I would not lend my pony now,For all the lady's hire.
We sang this song as children, and I dreamed of being a bareback rider in the circus. You pretended you were a roping, riding cowboy. Your bicycle had just had the training wheels removed. I was setting a speed record on the antique...
WORDS TO THE GRAD: BE PATIENT AND OBSERVEGrowing up I know I inherited the shy gene. I now realize that my handicap wasn’t as detrimental as I thought at the time. Because I was reluctant to get into the thick of things, I became more of an observer, rather than a participant.I didn’t smoke because I was so nervous that I feared people would look at me and thinkI wasn’t doing it right. Saved myself from lung cancer right there!I didn’t drink because I didn’t like th...
Are you old enough to remember the Art Linkletter Show and the segment, Kids Say the Darndest Things? When my daughters were little, they said so many funny things. I wish I had written them all down because now I can’t remember half of them. My grandchildren are the witty ones now, and I have vowed to record their sayings, not just for myself, but for my daughter to enjoy as well. A few weeks ago Grampy and I were visiting our daughter and her family of three beautiful c...
Being a teenager raised by a mother who was a teen when she gave birth to you can be a dangerous path to follow. Growing up in a home where the parent had to give up their teenage years to raise two babies can be a place where you feel so alone and scared to ask those important questions that you need answers to. I looked for those answers in the wrong places. I wanted to feel loved no matter what. I craved attention from someone of the opposite sex. I thought i...
You are not supposed to fall in love with your friends with benefits. It is the common rule in seduction, you fall in love- you lose. And nobody likes losing. But there are very few that do not fall. Because even though your mind knows it is all play-pretend, somehow you start to fall for all the acting. And when you fall in seduction, you get bruised and bumped and sometimes-most times- you bleed because somewhere in between the contract, in little print, it was written that...
I pulled my car into the garage, turned off the engine, and let out a big sigh. Good God, she'd be waiting! It had been a usual stressful day at work, and I wasn't ready for her. At the time, I worked as a chaplain in a nursing home where residents, family members, and staff alike face daily the more difficult realities of life. I steeled myself for what I knew was to come, went out the service door into the yard and there she was - all 3½ feet and 35 pounds.Lily is my wi...
My first experience as a grandmother occurred on January 25, 1985 when my oldest granddaughter was born. I was present for her debut into the world and it was an intensely moving experience. But in hindsight, I really had no idea what experiences this would bring into my life. She came home after her time in the hospital during a snowstorm which prevented driving up our country dirt lane. Her mother was already at home with me, so I brought this tiny little bundle, held fi...
My relationships with both my maternal and paternal grandparents have fluctuated as I’ve grown older and although I’m not exceptionally close to any of them, I deeply cherish the time that we have spent together and the memories that flood back when I think of them and talk to them now. They have all taught me wonderful things and are beautiful, dynamic people with huge hearts. I have very vivid, specific memories of each of them spending time with me alone or w...
This month I turned sixty. I have two adult daughters, three grandsons and two granddaughters. It is a milestone for me in many ways. Ten years ago, at the age of fifty, and about to become a grandmother for the first time, I found myself, once again, in treatment for anorexia. I was fighting to remain alive, engaged in a thirty year battle with this complex and devastating disorder. In researching the women of my family for an album I was working on for my daughters (...
"It's a pirate!" the little girl yelled.All parents have experienced it. You know what I'm talking about. That time when the innocent child blurts out something that cannot be called back once it leaves those innocent lips. I was at the airport, trying to get on a flight in O'Hare with about 400 other people. Half were waiting for their flight to load, while my half waited for our plane, sitting at the gate, waiting to unload. Needless to say, we were all weary travelers...
ON BEING SCHIZOPHRENICBy Margery WakefieldMy eyes are different from your eyes. No problem.I weigh more than you do. No problem.You are taller than I am. No problem.My brain is different from your brain. BIG problem, especially if I happen to have schizophrenia, which I do. Because I am schizophrenic, I can be fired from my job, thought of as a deranged killer, called names like “nuts,” “psycho,” “fruitcake,” “wacko,” “crazy,” “weirdo,” loony,” and many othe...
My stepdaughter to whom I have been very kind and loving.Made quilts and clothing for just does not like me. She is coming to visit and refuses to tell us the exact date.She tells us its the first week in the month she is coming.I work so I would have to request time off but really am not sure what date she is coming. I can only take off 2 days so I really need to know what date she is coming. I think she doesn't want me taking any time off so she doesn't have to have m...
I am sad to say that of my family members, my grandparents are the two who I see and talk to the least right now. When I was younger I saw them all the time. In the spring, they would come up from Florida because of the warmer weather and stay up here at their own house until the middle of autumn when the weather began to turn cold again. Sorta like Mary Poppins, they stayed until the winds changed. A few years back, they moved down to Florida permanently, after the trips...
Our granddaughter is 7 and dealing with her father's third deployment. It's hard on the families of our military soldiers and sometimes we don't realize the impact it has on their children.Our Granddaughter this past week was visiting and told me, ( mimi) that she loves to fly on the airplane but doesn't like having to say goodbye when the trip is over.She has had a tough week for a little one. When she returned home last week she had to face losing her best friends...
When my kids were born my mother came to live with us to help take care of them while I worked. I am so thankful for her help and I know the kids loved her adventurous spirit. The kids are getting older but they have so many great memories of grandma and all the fun they have had. Looking back over the years there were times she had a truck load of sand delivered and set up a small pool beside it and equipped it with shovels and buckets for a day at the beach when they co...
There is something quite romantic about Shoebox Memories, the thought of treasured keepsakes stored away for the future, love letters, lockets, jewellery, mementos of a forbidden liaison – very ‘Brief Encounter’. Not all shoeboxes have to be surrounded by a powder puff of romantic memories. They could be keepsakes that would act as a nice hand me down to your children or grandchildren.Shoebox memories are often accompanied with a vintage feel to them, and things that remi...
It does not need to be a grand and flashy trip somewhere to make an impression on a child. Merely spending time doing small things like reading, cooking, playing, storytelling are all that is needed. Children are fascinated by the past and things that we did that when we were younger, even if we were not on covered wagons! It does not take a lot of money or energy to make an impact on a grandchild’s life.My own mother has made a big impact on my children’s lives over the ye...
Many people say this line of their wedding vows without really giving much thought to what the “in sickness” part might look like. When you are healthy, the term “sickness” often means a cold or the flu or maybe bronchitis. But for many, sickness can take on a more sinister turn into the realm of chronic illness. A chronic illness is, by definition, one that lasts more than either 3 or 6 months; then you have the illnesses and/or injuries from which you recover and tho...
Cameras have been in cell phones for a while, but it hasn’t been until recently that they’ve taken center stage on the teen social scene. We teenagers take photos of everything, whether it be friends at a dance, or the beautiful hamburger that just appeared on our plate.With Instragram, we can share the photos, complete with artsy effects, with anyone who “follows” our feed. Or we can make a video montage of cool ski tricks that our friends pulled off using Vine, a six se...
This summer I will happily accompany my mom back to her hometown of Bucksport, Maine. We've visited there before but this year will be different, this year I'll be taking her, she won't be taking me. In many ways I'll be the adult, and the caretaker and she the child; a role that will be new for me and I will have to reinvent myself. I know I will have to be on high alert as I can be impatient and critical at times and there will be no place for these unfavorable traits of...
Recollect Grandma's sweet smiles. Never forget herwarm heart, beautiful face,her encouragement throughoutchildhood, Laughter and tears all the problems vanishwith her real tender care. Grandma remains alwaysin the heart and I were comfortable with her huggingand brought up. I always love and remember Grandmawhenever I go to bed.Her affection remains in LIFE as Great, Greater and Greatest too...
Saturday morning cartoons were a big deal to me and my three younger brothers in 1966. Each of us had an assigned Saturday for deciding whether we would watch Huckleberry Hound, Bugs Bunny, or the Jetsons. On one particular morning, I was unhappy with the choice one of my siblings had made. How a pipe wrench came to be in my eight-year-old hand, I do not remember. I do, however, very clearly remember striking the head of one of the characters of the offending cartoon. Th...
After my husband’s passing, I wrote “thank yous“ for the wonderful condolence messages, and as was my habit, signed both our names. I soon heard from concerned friends that I wasn’t facing reality. “What reality?” I protested. “I am our secretary; he always left it to me.” However, he did compose one note that I cherish. He wrote it on the day of our second daughter’s birth, and I have read the note at the naming of each of my great grandchildren. “Thank you, dear G-d,” h...
My grandfather, like my grandfather's father and all the men before or after him in my family, is a fisherman. Not just any kind of fisherman, though. There's the fishermen who fish on the beach, off the dock, or off a boat, and then there's the fishermen who own party boats, capable of taking out crowds of 75-100 to go fishing during the summer and early fall. My grandfather was the latter.When my grandfather's father was starting out in life (I'm saying his 30s)he bought ...
It has been seven years since my grandma passed away. Going into high school, I not only had to grow up but say goodbye to a really important person in my life as well. It was hard enough dealing with the upset, let alone going through the notions just to get through school. But I found a way to cope, knowing she’s happier where she is – no longer in pain from being sick. Ever since she left, I always thought of new ways to cherish her memory. But the things I made along the ...
One of my favorite TV shows is about two decades older than I. The cast was on its second televised reunion by the time I was born. I posted these thoughts about Happy Days here because I know they will resonate far more with those who grew up with or had children that watched the series the first time around. This teenager saw her first episode while home sick in 8th grade; with the help of her DVR she was soon hooked. Happy Days was an idealistic, altruistic show that a...

Advertiser

Coupons for Life - 5% to 50% Off

As an educational writing initiative, StageofLife.com is fortunate to have the support of hundreds of brands who support this writing community and our literacy mission.  Because of that, you can save 5% to 50% off with Stage of Life's free My Life Rewards® program. 

Get discounts at Target.com, Papa John's, Lenovo, AAMCO, and many more...
Discount at Target.com on StageofLife.com Discount on pizza at PapaJohns.com from StageofLife.com Lenovo discount from StageofLife.com AAMCO auto discount from StageofLife.com