Did You Know: College

Statistics about college students

Statistics about College Students

We have statistics to share about college students.  Some of these may shock you.  Others may be more intuitive.  Also, check out our teen trend reports for our own exclusive reports on real-world issues and statistics that are effecting teens and college students.  If you have a statistic to share, Contact Us along with the source so we can share with the Stage of Life community.

Facts & Figures about College Students

Statistics and Facts about college, college students and Millennials Between 2000 and 2013, the unemployment rate for individuals without a bachelor's degree was generally higher than the rate for their peers with at least a bachelor's degree.

SOURCE: National Center for Education Statistics (January 2014)

Statistics and Facts about college, college students and Millennials 60% of all college students receive no financial help from their parents.

SOURCE: 30daystox (May 8, 2014)

Statistics and Facts about college, college students and Millennials "Females are expected to account for the majority of college students: about 12 million females will attend in fall 2014, compared with 9 million males."

Statistics and Facts about college, college students and Millennials
"A recent Harvard study "Pathways to Prosperity" showed that the US has the highest college dropout rate among industrialized nations. Among four year colleges, just 56% of students graduate within six years. At "top" colleges like Ivy Leagues, graduation rates are drastically higher at 90% or more."

SOURCE: tuition.io (March 11, 2013)

Statistics and Facts about college, college students and Millennials In fall 2014, some 21 million students are expected to attend American colleges and universities, constituting an increase of about 5.7 million since fall 2000."

Click the image to the right to view the full infographic.College student statistics on student debt
  • In 2012, the average student debt was $25,000.00
  • 1 out of 10 Americans carry student debt
  • In 2012, 53% of graduates were unemployed
  • Almost 2 million people over 60 are still paying off student debt
    SOURCE: ConsolidatedCredit.org

19.7 million: The projected number of students enrolled in the nation's colleges and universities this fall. This is up from 14.4 million 20 years ago

SOURCE: U.S. Census Bureau

Statistics and Facts about college, college students and Millennials About 80% of young people who say they have a good relationship with their parents are also happier with life in general.

SOURCE: TIME July 8 / July 15, 2013

Nearly half of hiring managers say they have no plans to hire any seasonal workers this year, according to a study of 1,100 companies released today by SnagAJob.com, a job site for hourly positions. When asked why they wouldn’t be hiring, 31 percent of those polled said they didn’t have the budget. Adding to the problems, he says, is the growing number of older workers going after traditional teen jobs in retail and food services, and also the increase in illegal and legal immigrants vying for those jobs."Employers view adults as more responsible than teens, and they don’t have to worry about them going back to school."

SOURCE:  MSNBC

"In the last 45 years suicide rates have increased by 60% worldwide. Suicide is among the three leading causes of death among those aged 15-44 years in some countries, and the second leading cause of death in the 10-24 years age group; these figures do not include suicide attempts which are up to 20 times more frequent than completed suicide."

SOURCE: WHO

16 hours: Average amount of time spent per week that female undergraduates spend on jobs, homework and other activities more than their male counterparts...much of this because of the time used by male undergraduates playing digital games.

SOURCE:  Michigan State University study from journal, Sex Roles

With parents pinching pennies and college costs rising, more teens are expected to search for part-time and summer jobs this year.

"They may not have the allowance they are used to. They're going to be looking for ways to replace what was taken from them," said Karen S. Hinds, author of "A Teenager's Guide to the Workplace." ''For some students, it might well be replacing an income in the family."

That would reverse a decades-long downward trend in teen employment since the 1980s. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, in 2008, 32.6 percent of teens ages 16-19 were employed, a historic low, down from 45.2 percent in 2000.

Fewer teens have part-time jobs today because they stay in school longer, spend more time studying and have less free time, according to a report from market research firm Mintel. Baby boomer parents have told children their job is getting into college, so many teens haven't felt compelled to work, said Susan Beacham, founder and CEO of Money Savvy Generation.

"We have given our children the No. 1 job of school because we have always been able to take care of college," she said. She thinks kids will be better off with work experience, but in today's economy, there's no guarantee they'll find a job if they want it.

SOURCE: Oregonlive

While the nation's economy may be improving, a new summer employment study shows teens looking for a summer job are facing huge hurdles. The Bureau of Labor Statistics shows their employment is at its lowest level since the early 1960's. While summer employment improved last year over 2008, overall employment among teens was slightly lower. Nearly 5.9 million teens ages 16 to 19 had a summer job last year.

SOURCE:

http://www.8newsnow.com/story/12648375/teens-struggle-to-find-jobs

The unemployment rate for 16-to-19-year-olds who want to work now stands at 24.2%, according to the May report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, released Friday. Among African-American teens, the rate is 40.7%.

"I am not hesitant about calling it a crisis," says Christine Owens, executive director of the National Employment Law Project, an advocacy group." "The more work experience they have, the higher the wage when they reach ages 20 to 25 years," says Andrew Sum, director of the Center for Labor Market Studies at Northeastern University in Boston. "Many employers who are hiring say the kids don't have the 'soft' skills, but the only way to get them is to be in the workforce. So not having a job today affects employability in the future."

SOURCE: Bleak teen jobs outlook: 25 percent unemployment and stiff competition. By Ron Scherer published in Christian Science Monitor

$7,020: Average annual tuition at a four-year U.S. public college in the fall of 2009, a 6.5% jump from 2008.  The average cost at a private college is $26,273. 

These figures do not include costs for room and board.  Simply tuition

SOURCE:  Time Magazine - Nov. 2, 2009

42%: Percentage of college students who feel "down, depressed or hopeless."

SOURCE:  Recent AP/MTV survey.  May 2009

$47.3 billion: Amount students and families are expected to spend gearing up for college.

SOURCE:  National Retail Federation’s 2007 Consumer Intentions and Actions Survey, conducted by BIGresearch. Data released August 14, 2007.

$956.93:  A household will spend a combined average of $956.93 on back-to-college merchandise as a student gets ready to start his/her freshmen year (up from last year’s $880.52) 

$59,408:  Average starting salary offered to bachelor’s degree candidates in petroleum engineering in 2007, among the highest of any field of study. At the other end of the spectrum were those majoring in the humanities, who were offered an average of $31,345.

Source: Upcoming Statistical Abstract of the United States: 2009, Table 287

$82,320:  Average annual 2006 earnings of workers 18 and older with an advanced degree. This compares with $20,873 for those without a high school diploma. In addition, those with a bachelor’s degree earned an average of $56,788 in 2006, while those with a high school diploma earned $31,071.

Source: Educational Attainment in the United States: 2007

$14,203:  Average tuition, room and board (for in-state students) at the nation’s four-year public colleges and universities for an entire academic year (2006-07). That is more than double the corresponding figure in 1990. 

Source: Upcoming Statistical Abstract of the United States: 2009, Table 28

$38,400:  Average tuition, room and board at the nation’s four-year private colleges and universities for one academic year (2006-07). That also is more than double the corresponding 1990 figure. 

Source: Upcoming Statistical Abstract of the United States: 2009, Table 282

69%:  Percentage of undergraduates enrolled in four-year colleges in October 2006. Of those enrolled in such schools, 80 percent attended full time.

Source: School Enrollment – Social and Economic Characteristics of Students: October 2006

46%:  Percentage of 18- and 19-year-olds enrolled in college in 2006.

56%:  Percentage of undergraduates who were women in October 2006.

5.6 years:  Average amount of time it takes people to complete bachelor’s degrees. It took 4.4 years to complete an associate’s degree.

Source: What It’s Worth: Field of Training and Economic Status in 2004

18.4 million:  The projected number of students enrolled in the nation’s colleges and universities this fall. This is up from 13.5 million 20 years ago.

Source: Upcoming Statistical Abstract of the United States: 2009, Table 211

19%:  Percentage of the population 65 and older in 2007 who had earned a bachelor’s degree or higher. 

28.2 million:  Number of women 25 and older with a bachelor’s degree or more education in 2007, more than double the number 20 years earlier. 

28%:  Percent of women 25 and older who had obtained a bachelor’s degree or more as of 2007. This rate was up 11 percentage points from 20 years earlier.

928,000: The projected number of bachelor’s degrees that will be awarded to women in the 2008-09 school year. Women are also projected to earn 391,000 master’s degrees during this period. Women would, therefore, earn 58 percent of the bachelor’s and 60 percent of the master’s degrees awarded during this school year. In addition, women would earn nearly 50 percent of first-professional degrees, such as law and medical. 

Source: National Center for Education Statistics, Projections of Education Statistics to 2017

Have a stat to share with us?  Make to sure to include the source and send it here.  Our editors will verify the information.

Informational College Video