Enter College Writing Contest here...

January 2015 - Writing Contest for Students
Writing Contests for High School Students and College StudentsMONTHLY WRITING CONTESTS:  StageofLife.com hosts monthly writing contests for high school students and college students (open to international students, too).  Answer the real-world writing prompt below to share your thoughts and experiences as we change the world, one story at a time.  View winners of past writing contests.

Writing Contest:  Unsung Heroes

READ RULES...
ENTER YOUR ESSAY...

STEP 1 - Answer Teen Survey:
  Click the Survey Monkey logo to the right to answer our short poll.

STEP 2 - Submit Essay: 

For our January 2015 writing contest, we are revisiting one of our most popular essay contest topics ever, our 2010 September contest “Who Is Your Hero?” But rather than the recognized heroes in our world, this month we want to hear about a special kind of hero: The Unsung Hero.

What we want for the contest: In 500 words or less, using the blue "Submit Essay" button, write an essay about an Unsung Hero (defined by dictionary.com as a person who makes a substantive yet unrecognized contribution; a person whose bravery is unknown or unacknowledged).

Background:  What better way to recognize the unrecognized heroes in our world (past, present and possibly even future) than by writing an essay about them? Unsung heroes come in all shapes and sizes - from Moms to teachers, from coaches to best friends, from the people in your local community that make small or huge unrecognized differences in the lives of people every day to the individuals in history that took a stand against oppression or cruelty.

You can focus on a person you know or someone you learned about in history class, from a parent, news article, from your own reading, or internet searches.

Consider these thoughts when you write your Unsung Hero essay (don’t answer all these questions, but use them as a launching point to mine your memories for ideas):
  • Do you have a personal hero? Would you consider that person an Unsung Hero?
  • What are the qualities of an unsung hero?
  • Who do you think deserves credibility that doesn’t receive it?
Click the blue "Submit Essay" button to the right to upload your story and enter the writing contest.

Title of Essay: 
When you submit your essay, title it as:  "Unsung Hero: ______"

Include the phrase "Unsung Hero" as the beginning of your essay title, but then make the rest of your story title unique.  

Examples...
  • Unsung Hero: My grandfather’s acts of bravery
  • Unsung Hero: The best advice from my 3rd grade teacher
  • Unsung Hero: Standing up against hate isn’t easy
  • Unsung Hero:  My sister’s love
Rules: 
Three simple rules for the Stage of Life student writing contest. 

1) This is a Non-Fiction essay contest. 
2)  Essays are 500 words or less.
3)  Essay must be your original work.

Deadline: 
Midnight January 31, 2015 Pacific Time US

Results: 
Finalists, Runners Up, and the Winner will be posted on our writing contest winners page and Teen Trend Report after February 26, 2015.

NOTE:  Winners will be contacted via a post on their uploaded StageofLife.com story once judging is complete (approx. 30 days after contest ending).  

An email will be sent to the winner(s) to get the address for the prize package approx. 1-2 months afterwards.

Resource Links

2015 January Writing Contest for Students

STEP 1:  Take Survey

Take StageofLife.com teen survey

(click logo to take survey)

STEP 2:  Enter Essay

Submit essay to StageofLife.com writing contest

(click to submit your essay)

Essay winner receives gift card prizes from our sponsors and a copy of a book from one our national author partners.
Details below
...

Writing Contest Resources

Videos about Unsung Heroes:

Lowell Milken Center: Celebrating Unsung Heroes Who Change the World

The Lowell Milken Center (LMC) for Unsung Heroes discovers, develops and communicates the stories of Unsung Heroes who have made a profound and positive difference on the course of history.

“Hospital Window - Inspirational Video”

Sometimes even the smallest things can make the biggest differences in an another’s life.

"the power of ONE"

Never underestimate the power of one human being to make huge world changing differences.

Author Sponsors

For this month's writing contest, our two Stage of Life author partners are Suzanne Brockmann for her book, "The Unsung Hero" and Deanne Durrett
for her book "Unsung Heroes of World War II: The Story of the Navajo Code Talkers"

Both authors are donating a signed copy of their book to Stage of Life for this month's writing contest. 
One book will go to the 1st place essay winner and another to the 2nd place winner. 
We'll mail the book along with the gift card prizes.

Education Prize Sponsors

Education essay sponsor - Papa John's   Education writing sponsor - IHOP

Writing Contest Prize Package

• The student (high school or college) who writes the 1st place essay will receive gift cards compliments of our education sponsors, Papa John's and IHOP
  • National press release exposure for your essay from StageofLife.com
  • Copy of book from participating author (if any for the month)
  • Bragging rights
Please thank our sponsors, Papa John's and IHOP, for supporting the writing and literacy efforts on StageofLife.com
    Changing the World, One Story at a Time

Enter our Twitter Contest
    Enter Twitter Contest
    Contact StageofLife.com for National Writing ContestContact Us about this Teen Writing Contest 
    ATTENTION TEACHERS:
    Language Arts Teacher Resources

Quote for inspiration:

“In our world of big names, curiously, our true heroes tend to be anonymous. In this life of illusion and quasi-illusion, the person of solid virtues who can be admired for something more substantial than his well-knownness often proves to be the unsung hero: the teacher, the nurse, the mother, the honest cop, the hard worker at lonely, underpaid, unglamorous, unpublicized jobs.”

- Daniel J. Boorstin

EXTRA INFORMATION AND RULES FOR THE WRITING CONTEST...

Writing Contest Rules on StageofLife.comBe Real.  Be Yourself
    The strongest submissions for this essay contest will use a personal tone and point-of-view writing style that shares your thoughts on the topic.  If you want to make your essay even stronger, we recommend doing a little research and adding quotes or a statistic (or two). 

Quick Rules:
    • Essays should be 500 words or less.
    • You are welcome to blog on StageofLife.com as much as you want, but only ONE essay submission per user for the writing contest is allowed.
    • Please be creative with your title, then type or cut and paste your full essay from a program like NotePad or TextEdit (don't use any formatting - just text, please) into the Story Details field (which will appear after you click the Submit Essay button above. 
    • Adjust the spacing of your essay within the essay submit form.
    • Title your essay using the instructions above so our Editors can find it in the story feeds in your life stage homepage on the website.  Example:  Here's where the high school student submissions get posted - High School
    • StageofLife.com is a non-partisan literacy initiative.  We judge the writing contest submissions not on the political or religious stance of our writers, but rather on how creative, original, passionate, and well written the essays are.  See below for more details on our judging policy.
    • Read these tips for good essay writing to be considered a writing contest finalist
    • You will need to login to StageofLife.com to submit your writing contest entry.  If you don't have a StageofLife.com login, please register for StageofLife.com (it's free).

StageofLife.com Prize Packages for Winning EssayPrize Package:  The winning writer will receive...

• A highlight as the Winning Essay on StageofLife.com
    • Prize from the writing contest sponsor mentioned above.
    • A mention and link to your essay in Stage of Life's national monthly press release - here's a link to one of our press releases for reference.
    • NOTE:  Winners will be contacted via a post on their story once judging is complete (approx. 30 days after contest ending).   An email will be sent to the winner to get the address for the prize package approx. 2-3 months afterwards.

International Writing Contests on StageofLife.comFree Essay Contest:

This is a free writing contest.  StageofLife.com does not require a submission fee. ONE  ESSAY ENTRY PER PERSON FOR THE WRITING CONTEST.  However, you are welcome to blog about your life or other topics outside of this writing contest at any time on StageofLife.com

Contest Deadline:  

Last day of the month at midnight Pacific Standard Time (US).   StageofLife.com time stamps all essays in Greenwich Mean Time (England) as we are an international writing initiative.  International submissions are welcome.

Winning writing contest essays on StageofLIfe.comWinning Essays: 

Of the submitted essays to StageofLife.com for a given writing contest prompt, one student winner and one adult winner will be selected.  The winner and semi-finalists will be announced after the 20th of the following month.  Winner and semi-finalists will be contacted by a StageofLife.com staffer via the email used to register for the website.

As we state in our Writing Contest Rules and Judging Criteria, student writers selected as our national essay finalists and winner(s) will demonstrate strong writing skills, a unique point-of-view, personal tone, originality, and realness in their essay. 

"Realness?"  Yes...realness. 

Blogging contests on StageofLife.comThe reason that journalists and organizations ranging from TIME.com to Mint Education have featured our essays (especially our teen posts) in the national media is because our bloggers all write from the heart.  Real people sharing real stories about their lives.  Combine this with our position as one of the only international, non-partisan, literacy platforms in the world and you'll find Stage of Life an open environment to share your ideas. 

Post Comments: 

We'd like to encourage all participants and readers to make comments on these writing contest essays.  Please just remember to keep all comments/posts/discussions civil and in good taste in each of the essay-blog threads, especially since some of our writing prompts are sensitive in nature.  Nasty comments, personal attacks, or other such comments are not allowed and will be removed should they come to our attention.

Judging:

If you have questions about the rules or judging criteria for our writing contests, you can visit our Rules & Judging Criteria page.

College student writing contest on Stage of LifeLast Words - Share Your Story: 

Our hope is that your writing contest submission will positively impact others and help with our mission of making the world a better place, one story at a time.  Your essay may inspire others or even better, give you an opportunity to share a story that's simply important to you.

After you've submitted your essay, feel free to share the link to your essay on Facebook or Twitter.  Our essays are judged by real Editors, not popularity, but we do like to spread the word about our national, grassroots writing contest.   Also, please share this writing contest with Language Arts, English and History teachers, or on your blog or website. 

If you know a teacher who would like a Stage of Life writing contest poster for his or her classroom, have them contact us.

About:

Read more about StageofLife.com and our mission

Good luck!  Scroll back up and click on the "Submit Essay" button to upload your essay.

Next

Writing Contest for College Students - ENTER BELOW

Weekly Essay Contest for College Students

How to Enter?

1)  Read the rules below

2)  Read the question prompt details

3)  Answer the poll below (if provided)

4)  Submit your essay to StageofLife.com using the GREEN "Enter Contest" button

Topics:

As you can see, our writing contests deal with "real-world" teen issues.  So much, in fact, that our monthly summaries on teen trends have been featured in the press on TIME.com, Mint Education's Blog, ABC TV's "Mary Talks Money" program, etc.  

Writing Contest Prizes: 

Yes, we have prizes if you win the writing contest...but not that you're writing something important just to win, right?  Each month, one winner selected from the combined high school and college entries will get a prize package containing...

Rules for the Monthly College Writing Contest are as follows:

• Essay must relate to the theme (see below).

• Essay must be your original work.

• Essay can be no longer than 500 words.

• Essay must be non-fiction and follow the form of a diary, journal, blog, memoir, or essay.  That is to say...we want real stories about real life...from you.

• Once entered, essay will become a part of Stage of Life's public facing content so no foul language or inappropriate material.  Those entries will be removed.

• Registration to Stage of Life is required to enter the writing contest.  It's free and will allow a) Stage of Life to post your essay and b) you to join the writing community here on Stage of Life to enter future writing contests or simply share a story about your life.

• Writing submission must come from a current college student.

• Essays will be judged on a combination of factors including style, content, length, originality, use of argument, grammar, spelling, etc.

Contest Judges:

Eric Thiegs:  CEO and Founder of Stage of Life

Rebecca Thiegs:  Senior Editor, Stage of Life.  Rebecca has her master's in education from the University of Minnesota along with 12+ years teaching advanced English for high school students.  She's currently freelancing as a curriculum consultant for McDaniel College's Summer Academic Enrichment Program - an initiative through the DC Success Foundation.

Sarah Hamaker:  A freelance writer and editor with more than a dozen years of experience, Sarah Hamaker is the author of Hired@Home, a guide to unlocking women’s work-from-home potential. She has a master’s degree in Literature and Language from Marymount University. Sarah has judged teen short story contests as well as magazine awards. Visit her online at www.sarahhamaker.com.

Stage of Life Editorial Team:  Stage of Life's very own life stage editors (all 20+) weigh in each month with their vote for selecting the winner from a pool of 5-10 semi-finalists.

Enter the Student Writing Contest:

Please read below for details on the free monthly writing contest and click the green "Enter Contest" button to submit your essay.  Good luck!

Comments

Let us know what you think!

Advertiser

Coupons for Life - 5% to 50% Off

As an educational writing initiative, StageofLife.com is fortunate to have the support of hundreds of brands who support this writing community and our literacy mission.  Because of that, you can save 5% to 50% off with Stage of Life's free My Life Rewards® program. 

Get discounts at Applebee's, Papa John's, Lenovo, AAMCO, and many more...

Applebee's gift card discountDiscount on pizza at PapaJohns.com from StageofLife.com Lenovo discount from StageofLife.com AAMCO auto discount from StageofLife.com