Writing Community for College Students

International blog for college students on StageofLife.comShare Your College Story.  Enter Writing Contest.  More...

Stage of Life® is a writing community designed for college bloggers.  Get involved with our writing mission by sharing your life experiences, entering our writing contests for college students, explore our goal setting resources, and review our college blogs about entertainment, statistics about college students, teen trend reports and more.  Wherever you are in college, whether you're a freshman or a senior, we look forward to reading your essays about your college experiences, fears, challenges, and triumphs.  Starting writing today...

Enter StageofLife.com college writing contest Twitter writing contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for college students on StageofLife.com
Enter the national writing contest for college students: August 2014

"School Daze"

Don't have a lot of time to write?
Enter our "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.

College Student Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com

Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's discount code for college students     Lenovo computer discount for college students

Essay Winners

Recent Teen Writing Contest Winners

Teen Blogging WinnersWinning Teen EssayBefore you scroll down to read the essays being submitted by our teen writers and bloggers, let's celebrate the recent essay winners.  If you want to see if your essay was a finalist - check out our monthly teen trend report summary for each writing contest.

Teen Writing Contest Details

Read College Stories

After hours of tiresome work I came home. It was almost 6:00pm in the evening. I positioned myself in the garden chair with a cup of coffee staring in the distance to have some relief. I felt burdened with the duties of life. After a while I came in and started searching for a file. It was to be submitted in the college the very next day. Suddenly something so hard thumped against my hand. I found an old book. I could easily recognise it. It was my diary. A wave of ecst...
On the last day of my Ethics class junior year, my teacher made everybody say something nice about somebody else. I was never one of the “popular” kids in grade school, and while we do not really have that kind of thing at my high school and I have become much more outgoing, I am still a little reserved. Regardless, I did not expect many comments from my peers, maybe one. But to my surprise, I got three. The first was a surprise, as it came from somebody I do not really t...
Kindergarten: Reading is my best subject. Our teacher reads Junie B. Jones to us everyday. I like to write in my journal about my vacation to Colorado and my Halloween costume. I'm debating between dressing as Laura Ingalls or Ginny Weasley. First Grade: I read Nancy Drew books because my mom used to. A girl on the playground says they're too hard for me, but I prove her wrong. Second Grade: I'm obsessed with Accelerated Reader, a program at our school where you earn poin...
Jealousy. Bragging. Excitement. Habit. They all have one thing in common. They are the reasons why Generation Y is so obsessed with social media. The average person checks their phone every six minutes for goodness sake. I won’t deny that I just looked at my phone — not from a notification, just to look. Maybe it’s F.O.M.O., maybe we are addicted. Either way (or if we’ve fallen victim to both) something needs to change. We only have five more minutes before the cy...
There is always that one teacher who is a nice person, but cannot teach. They just can’t! Either they’re too smart for their own good and have a hard time “dumbing it down” for us poor students, or they simply do not have the communication skills that is a necessity in the field of teaching. They’re great people, and I love them as people, please don’t get me wrong, but they just aren’t great teachers. So what do you do when you’re sweating the day before that physics test? ...
YouTube has impacted the world in more ways than one, rather than be in the realm of the LGBTQ+ community, raising awareness for a cause or just making someone laugh. YouTube has defiantly made a difference in the lives of whole communities and individuals.My ninth grade of high school was when I first began using YouTube, at first to upload lyrics videos of my favorite songs, and then I came across a YouTuber by the name of Philip DeFranco. DeFranco’s videos were and conti...
to be very honest i have never been a very active audience of youtube but at times certain videos are so sensational, motivating or say shocking that it moves me, makes me think. it teaches and conveys a lot within just 4-5 minutes. therefore it is more than a video....
Guys, I’m going to let you in on a secret – I have a super snack-crush on those white cheddar cheese puff things. Seriously. No matter how much I eat, I cannot stop the need for more. Very few things command this kind of obsession in my life – an insatiable, nonsensical, somewhat humiliating craving I can only feed by more of…well…what I crave. Youtube is one of those cravings and it’s almost more serious than cheese puffs. I realized this problem when I was in college last s...
The world offers everything we undeniably need at all times. Its intent is to make life easier and make time more efficient to use. I barely remember the time when I was still using encyclopedias and those thick books, which I bear upon my back. Sometimes, my bag simply squeals and whines about his hefty load. Now, with just one click and all data from books were fed up by the computer with the internet. Technology is advancing. Sometimes it is now becoming a necessity rather...
Am I obviously using youtube? And you are quite asking me about it? Na, don’t tell me that you do not? I bet you were also using this incredibly popular site in the internet. Tell me it is not only me getting crazy in browsing my favorite videos inside this thick volume book of media files. I use youtube every time I am connected in the internet. I wonder if my browser does not whine on many tabs I am making whenever I am in youtube.In youtube, you can be a viewer or an uplo...
It’s a sweltering, humid summer night, the kind that discourages movement, not because of reluctance for physical exertion, but because your sweaty legs are stuck to whatever cool surface you’ve managed to affix yourself to. You started the night on Youtube, it ended on Youtube, but between those two times it would be incorrect to say you existed solely plastered to the cool bedroom bedroom floor. You began by looking for that music video you heard in your friend’s car yeste...
There are people in the world gifted with the voice of angels and no this is not a metaphor. People actually exist in this world that have such a clear and pure voice that it immediately touches your heart. And trust me, it's not the lyrics even if they're just as amazing as the voice because well for one, the lyrics are in an alien language to me.(Not really alien, just Japanese. :)) When I heard this song...it changed my life. The lyrics for one are just downright brutally ...
In 2008, I discovered a YouTube channel after reading John Green’s Looking for Alaska. I didn't realize then that the channel would change my life. The Vlogbrothers have since become one of the most popular channels among young adults, and have formed a community around their videos called Nerdfighters. A project that started between the two brothers John and Hank Green has gone on to inspire young people to do amazing things. Nerdfighters are actively trying to decrease th...
I never cared about it at first. The internet was still a strange world to me that I was still discovering. I never thought it would change or impact anyoess life, not even myself. But signing up for one of my first social accounts, which was Youtube, little that I knew that its just a another world to be discovered. Today as I see and watch these endless amounts of videos, which over 1 billion users visit each month, it has become the center of our generation, and to think i...
The brain is probably my favorite part of people to explore. There are so many different characters out there in real life; the results of cracking through someone’s inner shell seem infinite. You never know what will surface after that bond is made. The after party when everyone is either gone or passed out. That one person you’ve spent the whole night with has finally maxed out his defenses on rum and repressed emotions. You and he sit on the bed in his ...
YouTube has impacted me a lot actually. I am gay so just like any LGBTQ teen I struggled a lot with my sexuality, I turned to YouTube as a way to gain confidence with who I was. I was realizing who I was as an individual not quite understanding these conflicting feelings, when I started to watch all the gay You Tuber's it made things a lot easier for me to cope with. Seeing there was other people out there who went through the same struggles was great. YouTube is such a grea...
May 24, 2014 I'm sitting in a hole in the wall bar, Rumours in Canon City, Colorado- the temperatureis cold and the air insanely dry. Of course, people are drunk; wayward walking and gargling their words but among this classic picture of a small town Saturday night is a sound that has the ability to open ears. Forget all the gossip and cheeky small talk- let's listento the band, a little rock and roll- a little blues. A group called the Crowning Kings. Small really to s...
In high school and even my first year of college not every teach or professor taught in a way that I learned something quickly. Sometimes I would turn to YouTube to learn something that I may not have fully grasped in the classroom. All through out my years in school I was more of a hands on learner than if someone was to just explain something to me and expect me to have full understanding. When a teacher played a video or physically showed me I could learn quickly and have ...
Meme was my grandmother. She was the most loving grandparent I have had in my life. She never judged me whenever I told her how I felt or what happened in my life and what reaction I had. She supported me throughout my life and never let me down. She went to every dance recital that I ever took part in.And then tragedy struck. She became so very sick. Her kidneys began to act up. She ended up on dialysis every day for about a year. She was in and out of the hospital cons...
When I was in secondary school, I knew YouTube as one thing – a hub for music videos. I remember streaming my favourite songs in High definition and playing them repeatedly. I would play the official videos several times. And I would watch the videos with lyrics, so I could sing along with my friends. Now, in the university, YouTube is so much more to me. When my attention forsakes me and I stop taking notes; I simply go back to my dorm, flip open my laptop an...
I remember watching the very first episode of “America’s Best Dance Crew” where Kaba Modern was the last to perform. With the stereotypical story of Asian American young adults pursuing dance dreams without the support of family, I immediately thought, “This group BETTER be good!” Because it was so rare that Asians were featured on mainstream television, I felt like I was sending pressure energy to Kaba Modern to represent well for the entire Asian population in the U.S. It t...
When I was younger, my grandmother told me stories of The Greats. Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King and Mother Theresa – people who changed the world by changing themselves. I told myself then – I wanted to change the world. I just didn’t know how. When I was eleven, I read a poem by Maya Angelou. Then I realised, that words could change the world. Words could make a difference. Words hurt but words worked. In my time here, I’ve learnt how to love others with my words. L...
Colleagues, teachers, and family: Thank you for being here to witness this ceremony as we, the class of 2015, move on to the next phase in our lives. High school has been preparing us for this day for four years now and the time has finally come to sink our teeth into the adult world. These past years have taught us, among many other things, to communicate with others, to work hard to reach a goal, and, overall, they have taught us the value of knowledge. It has provided us...
Although I've never went to a commencement speech, I still think I have a good idea on what I want to say to this graduating class. Teenagers are encouraged in this generation to be themselves in general so that they can truly enjoy their life. Besides being yourself in general, this can also apply to finding a job. Many of my teachers have given my classes 'pep talks' about how numerous of their acquaintances hate their job. That is probably the worst way to spend the rest o...
If I were a commencement speaker, I would start off with an introduction. “Hello Everybody! How is everyone. I am honored to be here.” Everything like that, which is always usual for a commencement speaker to say. I would then perhaps honor the occasion. Being a commencement speaker, I must understand that it is not about me, but rather I am simply here to honor the occasion of graduation. The audience isn’t here for me, I am here for the audience. I must understand that t...
GRADUATION Graduation is the action of receiving or conferring an academic degree or the ceremony that is sometimes associated, where students become graduates. Before the graduation, candidates are referred to as graduands. The date of graduation is often called graduation day. The graduation itself is also called commencement, convocation or invocation, though in some cases inaccurately.[1] In the United States and Ca...
The jaded side of my nineteen-year-old psyche is particularly off put by graduation ceremonies, which seem to be little more than an easy way for a university to squeeze a few more dollars from debt-saddled graduates by selling them static-filled polyester robes and mortarboard caps. Ridiculously dressed thus, these graduates are then sent into a lifelong battle with the “real world,” shielded only by flimsy—albeit costly—pieces of paper inside cardboard frames.Over the p...
As this semester wraps up and I've taken my final major requirements, I've found myself being very reflective and nostalgic about the professors I've had. Today was the last day of classes and our senior seminar professors sent us of with a discussion about graduate school They shared their personal experiences and answered many of our questions and curiosities about life as a graduate student. Both professors have a love for education that I admire. As they answered my quest...
As a treat to myself for making it through this semester I am purchasing a learners guitar. I've always wanted to learn so I am going adding it to my summer list of accomplishments. My little brother has a love for instruments so I was thinking of surprising him with his own learners guitar as well. That way we can I'll have someone to experiences this with and the perspective of a six year old is something I love to learn. I loving doing things with him so this will make gre...
I used to be a little diva back in the day... I grew up taking tap, ballet, and jazz classes, I participated in dance recitals, and I would blow a kiss to the audience at curtain calls. I lost that girl. I still dance when no ones watching, but I forgot how to dance like no one is watching. My mom will get angry at me for not coming out to the dance floor with her at family parties. I don't know what happen but at some point I became hyper-aware of all of the eyes in the room...