Writing Community for College Students

International blog for college students on StageofLife.comShare Your College Story.  Enter Writing Contest.  More...

Stage of Life® is a writing community designed for college bloggers.  Get involved with our writing mission by sharing your life experiences, entering our writing contests for college students, explore our goal setting resources, and review our college blogs about entertainment, statistics about college students, teen trend reports and more.  Wherever you are in college, whether you're a freshman or a senior, we look forward to reading your essays about your college experiences, fears, challenges, and triumphs.  Starting writing today...

Enter StageofLife.com college writing contest Twitter writing contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for college students on StageofLife.com
Enter the national writing contest for college students: Oct. 2014

"Story of a Scar"

Don't have a lot of time to write?
Enter our "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.

College Student Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com

Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's discount code for college students     Lenovo computer discount for college students

Essay Winners

Recent Teen Writing Contest Winners

Teen Blogging WinnersWinning Teen EssayBefore you scroll down to read the essays being submitted by our teen writers and bloggers, let's celebrate the recent essay winners.  If you want to see if your essay was a finalist - check out our monthly teen trend report summary for each writing contest.

Teen Writing Contest Details

Read College Stories

Most mirrors show what a person looks like, but I still am amazed when I see my own reflection. I see the worry and doubt, the fear that I will never be enough. I see the blurry tears from when I try to be stronger than I am. After all, I'm always told that if I work a little harder the pain will go away. But the pain doesn't go away, I am never enough, I'm my own worst enemy. These are only my symptoms, the scars run through my blood. I was abandoned by my birthmother when I...
A checkered board with alternate pattern of black and white lay flat on a mahogany table. There it was. It offered nothing special. But to me it was a memory. Only seeing it could make my scar turn into a nostalgic vision of him, of Paps. My grandfather, I called Paps, brought the chessboard for us to play during weekends. He said it could help my thinking process become sharp and shrewd. Luckily, I found the game nice. At first, I wasn’t able to absorb the r...
Being confident was never something that I was really good at. I did sports and had friends, but my self-esteem was always really low. When I moved onto college, I was excited to have the opportunity to play NCAA Division 1 soccer, but all was not what it seemed. I have had tough coaches before. I have had coaches that screamed, cussed, and played mind games with me, but I always knew it was in my best interest. However when I came to college, I had never met anyone who...
I knew it sounds weird because everyone will hate scars but I really love my scar.l had a very big scar on my left leg due to surgery. It was not good looking it might look ugly but I love my scar. Because it was the most precious gift given to me by the doctors l was bed ridden before the surgery but now I can walk on my own feet.every time when I feel the ground with my feet I really remember my scar. I will cover it with my dress becase I can't bear if anyone stares at my ...
It started when I had the do-it-because-I-can attitude. The only purpose for living was to get self-satisfaction. Although people I thought I knew and loved surrounded me, I felt utterly alone and helpless. I never felt true satisfaction. I left plenty of emotional scars on others before I left to live in China for eighteen months. When I returned, hurtful memories came back into view. Fortunately I knew that time had healed us all and we came back on good terms. One friend ...
"Words can break someone into a million pieces, but it can also put them back together. I hope you use yours for good, because the only words you'll regret more than the words left unsaid, are the ones you use to intentionally hurt someone."The quote above is a funny thing. It is so simple, yet true at the same time. Words can break someone into a million pieces and it is so hard to get back together to how you used to be. You try to be strong through the words that wer...
I always had a loveless life and it was fine too, as I sailed through life doing the bare minimum. That was of course until we were transferred to a remote town in the country. I took it pretty well.These were petty scars and wounds that I could lick by myself.Then came the bulling with no visible scars but internally it was tearing me apart.We had CC cameras in school recording it too but it was all useless because nobody really cares about hurt people until the wounds are f...
While I was browsing Reddit, I came across an incredibly powerful and impressionable response to a less-than-inspiring yet oddly (and unfortunately) familiar life situation. The thread was entitled, "I just don't care about myself." The original poster prefaced his lengthy introduction with, "I'm not sure if this is a rant or a cry for help. Probably both. I just don't give a ...
There are many scars that litter my body, appearing and fading as illusory evidences of time. Some scars take longer, still remaining since my first childhood mistakes. Some don’t ever disappear, residing as lingering memories resting within deep gashes in stronger concentrations than homemade remedies. The scar that haunts me in particular is of both fond and dark memories that still last until today and probably forevermore. To say that a bunny caused such a deep scar...
Most people may not realize this, but everyone has a hero, even if they are not aware of having one. But at some point they discover that they do , in fact, have a hero. A hero can be one person or a group of people or an organization. As for me, my hero is Talia Joy Castellano, a beautiful 14 year old whose battle with cancer began when she was 7 years old.Talia was diagnosed with neuroblastoma, a rare form of cancer that affects children, and leukemia. This in no way da...
" The wheel in the sky keeps turnin" by Journey blaired through the speakers of my mother's totalled Chevy Blazer; the engine revving at maximum RPMs as consciousness slowly crept back into my mind. I panicked, quickly leaping through the passenger window from my position in the driver's seat. my thoughts raced as i realized the gravity of my situation; my stress compounded by the lacerations on my left forearm and the psychological side-affects of havinng been up for three ...
while i was thinking about scar; i was confused which scar i am gonna write about, the physical one or the one which is deep inside in my heart. i chose the latter one. i always cherish this truth that i am blessed with awesome friends. i had this very close friend shivam(we are not friends anymore). we used to share each and everything with one another from school life to college life, his ex girlfriend, current girlfriend and my dreams and ...
Well to those people out there, who grumble due to dissatisfaction and and are not sated with their day's activities and life largely, here, this article is a must read for you. (At times, I am included in this category though. And I solely take the contents of this article ,if in case my memory becomes short term, forgetting these pieces of advises..). Its human tendency to expect. Expectation forms the greatest idiosyncrasy ( each of ...
‘’Identity: Unveiling the Lady Within”When I look into the mirror and look past the image of a girl endowed with beautiful physical features and into that ocean of white with a dark brown circle at its centre, I see within the heart of a young lady, her real identity, undefined by physical traits. Though my identity is not fully developed as I still continue to discover myself, the true image of myself unveiled, so far, reveals a young lady who is God-fearing, confident, pro...
Slam. I close the car door, saddle and helmet in hand.Good morning! I call to my instructor from across the dirt parking lot. Neeeeeigh. (Or however you write down the way a horse sounds). I smile. This is my happy place. It’s my break from the crazy, packed days as a student, resident assistant, scholar, and frankly – as a human being. Life is demanding. Life is stressful. The barn is not. I get out of my car and put my saddle on a stall door. I walk out to the pastu...
“I am me, myself MERIN SARA PAUL” was my answer to the question “who do you think you are?” when one of my friend asked me. But I haven’t actually thought about this question until writing this essay. Now I guess I have a scrutiny about my identity. But pondering over it, there are different facets that delineate identity. I am a girl, daughter, friend, girlfriend, student, these describe me based on obvious factors we know from the outset just by looking the circumstances. ...
You know that little microorganism that wriggles around underneath your biology lab class's microscope? It's invisible to the naked eye no matter how hard you squint but bam! once you've spun the correct lenses into place, this invisible speck becomes an actual living thing. And I think that's the kind of person I am. I don't stand out. If I was in the crowd, I'd be just another face amongst the masses and that's okay with me. Attention has never been my forte. I enjoy the a...
I am not the person I was in middle school. I am glad of this. I am not the person I was during my freshman year of high school who thought every small trouble was too great to handle. I am glad of this. I am not the awkward college freshman I once was. I am not the person I was less than a month ago, I am glad of this. Every decision I have made, and many choices others have made, has helped shape who I am today. And though I feel comfortable enough with this person, I cer...
It was well thought out & discussed, planned, even negotiated. I was getting a new hairdoo & I could hardly wait. The process began like most, with intense research. Research that included internet searches, watching television shows, & finally cutting out photos in magazines to present to my new stylist. I felt crazy about changing my look, thinking a new cut would promote change that included weight loss, a new direction, style, sophistication & really turn heads. Out ...
I rideSmooth sailing engine down the Big Apple streetsPartition drawn up catching whispers and breathsThough I may lead the way I still sit in the backgroundSpotlights reflecting, bending from me to them.I am invisibleThe vehicle, the messenger, the speakerCollect all their secrets and empty glassesThey may know me not yet I stay like a ghostBut their lives are more haunted than we’ve ever thoughtI am the keeperIn my hands I hold the keys to their lifePush the p...
Who Am I? These three words ask an almost impossible question. Every person is a deep well of thoughts and experiences. No one person fits entirely into that stereotypical mold society wants us to fit into. I am just the same. My name is Audrey Urban. Though I am only 20 years old, I know who I am, but it wasn’t always that way. I came from a very small high school that was run by people with the right last name. It did not matter how good you were, if you did not have the” ...
The question was "who do you think you are". My initial response to this was: I have no idea. I've been asked this question before and was yet again, caught off guard. The gut punching reality of life is that most of the time, we are lost. We are lost in love, lost in heartbreak, lost in our own dreams, or the dreams of our parents. When I look in the mirror, I see someone I don't enjoy looking at. It goes beyond simply being a girl and being self conscious. I'm so wrapped...
“I am—“ And I pause to think: How do I complete it? Then the identities roll in. A boy; a son; a brother; a friend; a student; a classmate; a reader; a writer; a gamer; a nerd—-all these at once, and never one without the rest. But I pause, still, for none of them is acceptable.To someone watching the world, I am not “the boy” or “the son” or “the gamer.” There are too many of those. The only hope of correctly identifying me is with a number. I am a number. And I am importa...
I am the girl who sits in the corner. I am the girl that nobody sees. I am the girl who cries in the nighttime. I am in the prison that nobody frees. I am the quiet one; I get straight A’s. I work and I work, but nobody sees. I am the girl who reads in the corner. I am the one who cries down on her knees.I am the fixture in the front of the classroom that not even the teacher sees. I am the fixture in the back of the gym. I am the one that they love to tease.I...
One of the most defining moments of my life goes back almost 14 years ago to my old daycare. Being a girl at the age 0f 4 or 5 was hard for me. Constantly boys were around me saying girls weren't brave, smart, or strong. On days where the discouragement became too much, I would go home crying saying "I want to be a boy." No, I am not a transvestite. I am actually pretty girly. I just thought that being a boy would be easier because I would become strong, brave, and smart. O...
The first was tall, with dark hair and hazel eyes. The hazel eyes were made hazel with brown and green, and when first looked upon they seemed to be serious. But if there were love in a person, that person saw an immense sadness in the seriousness, and if the love in that person truly loved those hazel eyes she saw a gentleness in the sadness. He had immensely gentle eyes.The girl with him felt small and delicate beside him, and once in a while they would walk arm in arm an...
If for some reason you decided to shadow a fifteen-year-old Walter Guillory II, you would grow accustomed to the groans from a high school junior forced to muster the strength roll out of bed at 6:00 in the morning, five days each week. I detested high school. My classmates, an inappropriately exuberant and loquacious bunch, probably thought me strange ever since I joined the high school the previous year. Admittedly, my social skills were less than extraordinary, likely due ...
After hours of tiresome work I came home. It was almost 6:00pm in the evening. I positioned myself in the garden chair with a cup of coffee staring in the distance to have some relief. I felt burdened with the duties of life. After a while I came in and started searching for a file. It was to be submitted in the college the very next day. Suddenly something so hard thumped against my hand. I found an old book. I could easily recognise it. It was my diary. A wave of ecst...
On the last day of my Ethics class junior year, my teacher made everybody say something nice about somebody else. I was never one of the “popular” kids in grade school, and while we do not really have that kind of thing at my high school and I have become much more outgoing, I am still a little reserved. Regardless, I did not expect many comments from my peers, maybe one. But to my surprise, I got three. The first was a surprise, as it came from somebody I do not really t...
Kindergarten: Reading is my best subject. Our teacher reads Junie B. Jones to us everyday. I like to write in my journal about my vacation to Colorado and my Halloween costume. I'm debating between dressing as Laura Ingalls or Ginny Weasley. First Grade: I read Nancy Drew books because my mom used to. A girl on the playground says they're too hard for me, but I prove her wrong. Second Grade: I'm obsessed with Accelerated Reader, a program at our school where you earn poin...