Writing Community for College Students

International blog for college students on StageofLife.comShare Your College Story.  Enter Writing Contest.  More...

Stage of Life® is a writing community designed for college bloggers.  Get involved with our writing mission by sharing your life experiences, entering our writing contests for college students, explore our goal setting resources, and review our college blogs about entertainment, statistics about college students, teen trend reports and more.  Wherever you are in college, whether you're a freshman or a senior, we look forward to reading your essays about your college experiences, fears, challenges, and triumphs.  Starting writing today...

Enter StageofLife.com college writing contest Twitter writing contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for college students on StageofLife.com
Enter the national writing contest for college students:
  April | May 2016
"Secret of Happiness"

Don't have a lot of time to write?
Enter our "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.

College Student Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com

Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's discount code for college students     Lenovo computer discount for college students

Essay Winners

Recent Teen Writing Contest Winners

Teen Blogging WinnersWinning Teen EssayBefore you scroll down to read the essays being submitted by our teen writers and bloggers, let's celebrate the recent essay winners.  If you want to see if your essay was a finalist - check out our monthly teen trend report summary for each writing contest.

Teen Writing Contest Details

Read College Stories

Someone has rightly said that we are born to be real, not to be perfect. The secret of happiness is enclosed within this one line. Most of the people in the world try to become like others. They underestimate themselves. They forget that each and every human being is born with the same capacity. It depends on us how we use our capabilities and convert them into opportunities. Instead of improving ourselves, we compare our life with other people who are more successful than us...
We live in a chaotic world.One characterized by death of loved ones each sunrise and sunset,cries of men,women and children loosing their lifes in cold blood wars not to mention the numerous deaths caused by deadly diseases that are discovered each new day.Amidst all these,one may wonder.What exactly is happiness?Where do I find happiness?What is there to smile about when the smell of death hangs so dangerously in the air?What is there to rejoice over when in some nations a...
My name is Melodious Nyanchama currently a student at Kenyatta University going to my fourth year come september.That should tell you I am almost finishing school.All my life I have lived as the typical determined girl next door especially in my school work.I would describe myself as the kind who wants to always get it right and has difficulties accepting anything less than perfect for results. I used to be that person who beats themselves for not beating deadlines or for...
For 18 years, I had been searching for the secret of happiness. I looked for happiness in my grades, my musical career, my friendships, my family, and my relationship. These provided happiness, don’t get me wrong, but only temporary happiness. I found the secret of happiness the last month of my freshman year when I accepted Jesus Christ into my life as my Lord and Savior. The moment I said yes to Jesus, the Holy Spirit entered into me, and he made me aware of areas of ...
Do you not have common-sense or you lag behind in making decisions? Why? Are you not knowledgeable about what is going on around you or you think of yourself as a child that does not think before doing things or to express his/her emotions and views without observing behaviors that encircle him/her…….It is to be said as immaturity, if it is, so who is mature?...This is the question mark which is raising in teens of this smart age..Where is it enhancing?The sentence is...
How are we so quick to take for granted the remarkable things going on in life?Why is it so easy to complain?Why do we focus on the negative?Everything is amazing and nobody is happy.However, happiness can easily be achieved even without the brilliant advances in the world.Rather than being reactive to what’s going on around us, happy people take control of their lives and emotions. If you are unhappy with your life, who or what else can you blame than you...
As a society we have certain norms. We have expectations as far as wealth, and physical appearance, so when an individual doesn't meet those expectations they tend to feel like they're not good enough. This leads to unhappiness. The way to stop this is to realize you are not everyone else. You might not have the financial stability or the body for those new shorts you seen at the mall and that's okay. Stop comparing yourself to the societal norm because if that isn't you, it ...
Often times while exploring outside places, our fears and insecurities ride along like dark shadows on our sides. And when it's time to set for a soul-searching, we back-off. I have always been a fan of Howard Gardner's theory of Multiple Intelligences (MI). This has helped me unravel my capabilities and guard my focus of honing my strengths in the past roads of my teenage journey. My mother has been a consistent, good reminder to be unafraid in leaping out from my comfor...
"Happiness depends on ourselves." -AristotleThe secret of happiness is a question that many find difficult to answer, and that is because many people focus on all of the negativity in their lives. This is why not many people can say that they feel happy--They don't think about it because it's easier for them to focus on the bad things that happen to them since there is such an abundance of negativity in their lives. Why?When you focus on negativity, you are only going to ...
Oftentimes optimists are known for being happy. I however associate optimism with disappointment. Realists on the other hand, are often pleasantly surprised when things go their way. I think those two approaches to expectations in life also correlate to our expectations on our happiness. We cannot go through life expecting to always be a constant sort of happiness that is unattainable, and therefore unrealistic. However if we take the point of view that happiness may or may n...
When I was a kid, I ran care free. There were bumps in the road, some of which I hurdled over, some I’d fall and scrape my knee. To me, those were no big deal; I just got up and kept running. It wasn’t until high school that running became a race, and with the race came obstacles. Stress induced panic attacks and all the self-hate that came from not meeting my expectations pressed down on me like a 100 lb backpack. With this weight I worked with half the efficiency but...
In life, sometimes it’s hard to accept the reality that in this world everything does not happen on our accordance. Every one of us has a broken wing which symbolizes our courage in life. Life unfolds new challenges each day which may tend to lower our hopes or maybe in contrary. One should realize that no matter what happens never should they hide their broken wing. When we were born at first everything was spoon fed. Then gradually we were given our own wings...
I finished secondary school in 2013, I have been trying to get into the university but things doesn't seem to work out, last year I almost had an admission and I messed up the opportunity. You see I wrote an exam to get into the university last year and I passed the examination, everyone believed I would make the admission list except my parents, is like they were anticipating my failure because I have never done anything successfully without their help, so I was determined t...
Dear Mom, It’s weird writing about this because i’ve never felt the need to. I just want to say thank you. Thank you for leaving me. Thank you for choosing drugs, alcohol, and random men over me. You changed my life when I turned 7. I remember coming home from school and I was such a happy kid, but that day changed my whole entire life. I came home and you and dad were arguing, it wasn’t anything big because all parents argue, right? I remember seeing boxes and you yelli...
I honestly think that the term ‘second chances’ is pretty clichéd. But these couple of words hold a great deal of significance in our lives. Even in this age of technological advancement, people are prone to messing up and falling prey to the immoral ways of life. It is human nature, I guess. But then, as the proverb goes- to err is human; to forgive is divine. Obviously there are some things which simply cannot and perhaps should not be forgiven; nevertheless if a simple ‘so...
People's second chances take shape in various forms. While others enjoy theirs in the form of forgiveness, I had experienced mine in a very unusual method: a dream.There he was. My healthy grandfather hanged in his favorite green shirt appeared very fine to me. I quickly snaffled the opportunity to sequel him a very tight hug as if it were years the last time I sensed his warm skin and mesmerized his smile that taught me how to hope for the best. But it became clear to me...
We are human beings, we all make mistakes and I think we should certainly be punished for them, but we should be forgiven and given the opportunity for a second chance. What if we all get a second chance? We all will take it. Like everyone else in this world, I have had sufferings. There are disappointments and hindrances in everybody’s life. I feel like I am writing “Second Chances: Mere Life Changers” not just for myself, but also for all those people who have struggled.So...
SECOND CHANCE: TURNING POINT OF MY CAREER "The first chance shows only the way for achievement but sometimes the second chance will make way for the achievement", That was what I believe. It happened in my life during my school days. When I was studying seventh standard at the age of 11 years, my school usually make students to give their own speech during prayer session. It was compulsory for students from seventh to higher class. As my school life was going smoothly, a...
I have 6 sisters, none of which are biological. We argue, we fight, we yell, we kick, we scream, sometimes we even punch. We love, we shield, we hope, we stay steadfast, we pray. To have a group so tightly bonded, that pray for you at every chance, on every call to them; a blessing if there ever was one. God knows exactly who to put in your life, in combination with others. These 6 are a great combination.Unfortunately, we aren't always the Brady Bunch. Sometimes we hurt ...
It's easier to think, ah this was meant to be. Whatever will happen will happen. But...everything that we do, they're our choices. Whether it be the ones that we regret or the ones we're glad we made. For me, I had always been confused about what I wanted to do with my life. I wasn't sure. But, somehow nursing stuck out for me. In my 9th grade career orientation class I had chosen to interview a nurse, even though it didn't seem like something I was going to do. Then college ...
Hello, my name is Lori. I am a baby boomer, living in Brisbane, Sunny Queensland, Australia. Having recently semi retired from paid work , my latest desire is to share my life experiences within a blog, your blog, and would be very grateful if you would allow it. I often think that Life is full of surprises and often mysterious!How else can I explain how I have lived in three Continents within seven years, as a teenager? I was eighteen years old when my ...
Be the change: To change my society. "I cannot change my past but I can change my future". This was what I believe to make a change in the society. I have a dream of making some great change to my people and to my society. The first and foremost thing is that to change my people's mindset. Today, we can see many crimes across our country. This is mainly due to people's unawareness. The corruption is generated only by the people and not by the officers. This is because, i...
I took a break after perusing a book; while I was wandering on Facebook, reading some boring new feeds, a post shared by my friend caught my attention. The article raises the issue of Vietnam having not developed within 40 years while China – our neighbour – though it had the same start which the country was poor and seemed to no future, now has been so prosperous and demonstrated its name to the whole world. After reading it, I smiled. Apparently, it was not a happy one at a...
A change is a difference in the state of a system. Man doesn't exist as a singular species. His existence isn't independent of the ones surrounding him. Everything a person does, affects the people around him, one way or another. Contribution to change for the better is a big responsibility. It involves judging the current status of the society, deciding how good or bad it is and deciding that what you plan to do is good for it too. To me, the root of all major problems in ...
The world is in our hands take the initiative to change it. We are living in a world faced with huge social challenges. Young people have the power to change the world. Most of the children are uneducated in our country. That is the reason why people don’t stand up for what they want. Human beings are social animals. They create problems and solve them. Nowadays people go after social status in the society. A man is unique in his own way. Our society is dynamic, it keeps on ...
Nursing isn't what I thought it would be. It's paperwork; it's HIPAA; it's trying to not get caught up in a lawsuit...I thought nurses were heroes. When did that change? Everyone's so busy trying to cover up their own butt, there's no energy left to concentrate on anyone else. Healthcare is the foundation of the world. If you don't have your health, you're basically just a lump of meat waiting to die. Although, if you want to be cynical, we're all lumps of meat waiting to die...
Well, the world we are living in is getting worse and worse. I can tell by what I see in my surroundings. Several buildings so-called skyscrappers starts growing up, and lands starts decreasing. Nature loses its presence, I said. People start worrying about their existence, but forget how to keep the balance between others. I think, people nowadays become so self-oriented, and only few I see who care enough about others. "I want to change the world. I want to make the wor...
We live in a world filled with innovations. May be in few years we will reach the pinnacle in all the fields.But this is only one side of the story, when we look at the other side it is full of burdens. People living in this side even fight for their basic needs and most of their children are deprived of education. Being deprived of education leave them linked to a chain of poverty. They also have an ocean full of wishes and they also wish to be a great contributor of w...
[size=7] My name is Kristina and I am 20 years old. I am from Lithuania and I was born hearing impaired, profoundly deaf. I wear a device which helps me to hear everything as possible. And yes, I can talk and I started learning the Lithuanian and American sign languages a little while ago. The idea to write an essay came by a wish to share good things. When I was younger, I always suspected people being bad. I had a fear about what they were thinking about me and...
  Each and everyone of us are distinguished by our characters. We are never a replica and there can never be an exact match for us. However, when time passes we gradually progress and replace our bad attitudes but this is not done by all. A change in a positive way will lead to a new world which will not despise any human being. However, we seldom choose that path since we are already comfortable with our current attitude.    A little goes a long way. Most importantly, when...