Writing Community for College Students

International blog for college students on StageofLife.comShare Your College Story.  Enter Writing Contest.  More...

Stage of Life® is a writing community designed for college bloggers.  Get involved with our writing mission by sharing your life experiences, entering our writing contests for college students, explore our goal setting resources, and review our college blogs about entertainment, statistics about college students, teen trend reports and more.  Wherever you are in college, whether you're a freshman or a senior, we look forward to reading your essays about your college experiences, fears, challenges, and triumphs.  Starting writing today...

Enter StageofLife.com college writing contest Twitter writing contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for college students on StageofLife.com
Enter the national writing contest for college students: April 2014

"Teenagers in Love Writing Contest"

Don't have a lot of time to write?
Enter our "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.

College Student Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com

Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's discount code for college students     Lenovo computer discount for college students

Essay Winners

Recent Teen Writing Contest Winners

Teen Blogging WinnersBefore you scroll down to read the essays being submitted by our teen writers and bloggers, let's celebrate the recent essay winners.  If you want to see if your essay was a finalist - check out our monthly teen trend report summary for each writing contest.  And don't forget to submit your story for our current writing contests for students!
Current 2014 Writing Contests for High School and College Students...

Teen Writing Contest Details

Winning Teen EssayJanuary 2013 Writing Contest Winner
Essay Prompt:  "What are your hopes and fears for 2014?"
Winning Essay: Dear Me: Living in the present is more beautiful than you could ever imagine by evanscd
National Press Release - 88% of Teens Feel They Have the Power to Make a Difference in the World, Reports StageofLife.com Per its International Writing Contest

Winning Teen EssayDecember 2013 Writing Contest Winner
Essay Prompt:  "Where has civility gone?"
Winning Essay: Not the Same as Respect by euiyoung.kim.509
National Press Release - 92% of Teens Say Social Media is Creating a Less Civil Society, Reports StageofLife.com

Past Writing Contest WinnersPAST CONTEST WINNERS:  Find past writing contest winners, runner's up, and finalists in our Teen Trend Reports and Writing Contest Archive.

Read College Stories

Entrepreneur Jia Jiang decided to undergo rejection therapy-- that is, he made ridiculous requests with the intention of receiving a rejection each time. Jiang did this for 100 days and maintained both a blog and video log about his journey. He even gave a presentation at a [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z...
I recently fell in love with someone who helped me fall in love with myself. Typically, we hear: “You must first learn to love yourself before you can let someone love you.” That’s the advice we get (and give) to emphasize the importance of self-improvement before we commit to intimate relationships. And I believed that for awhile. Little did I know the reverse would happen to me.I was born with a birthmark on my left cheek, which resembles a pair of lips. When I was ...
My mother is sitting on my bed crying. “It is what it is,” I tell her. “Please stop crying.” A few moments earlier I told her I didn’t want to live anymore—all while scrolling through my Facebook newsfeed. “Thank you for telling me,” she says after she stops sniffling. I tell her it’s not a big deal. And she snaps “Yes, it is a big deal—when someone you love tells you they don’t want to live anymore.”It’s been two years since I’ve been diagnosed with major depressive ...
It was a small town. Everyone knew everything about anyone there. But two people in this small town had never met.. But when he first spotted her, it was like he knew her for a lifetime. And that's exactly how it turned out. The two courted for quite some time, eventually he asked for her hand, and she said yes, and the two lived a lifetime together. Only problem was, she lived a double life, with another man......
i never knew that when i enrolled myself for CLAT coaching in 2012 after 12th standard, i enrolled for a state of negative thoughts also. i went out of my home town to pursue this coaching but i felt some kind of responsibility to crack this entrance anyhow- for my self-esteem, not to be looked upon as a failure, for my parents' hard earned money invested in this coaching.i did not know when and how i became so negative. i always said i won't be able to make it, other guys ...
In hindsight, I have always been an unstable individual. In elementary school, I alternated from disruptively loud and hyperactive to a completely reserved, silent bookworm. For a few weeks when I was 15, I truly believed I was the next great songwriter and attempted to write music, even though I had no musical background. At 16, I would casually hook up with boys whose names I didn’t know and who I had no intention of seeing again. At 17, I began self-harming and eventually ...
I won’t hang out with anybody who doesn’t think about killing himself at least once a day. But, maybe I just run in “those kinds” of circles: the depressing kind. We sit around smoking cigarettes, drinking too much, and absently tearing our rare steaks apart in a bloody, satisfying way as a substitute for our own flesh. We ask ourselves, was I born this way? Did the modern world slap this ennui onto our psyches like the FDA does to contaminated beef? Am I doomed to a...
When we are young we do not look at challenges one faces throughout life. We grow up living, laughing and playing when we are young. As we grow up we are taught an on board set of principles to help us steer clear of most problems . We're taught in one way or another at some point “Go to school”, “Get a job”, “Make money” and the rest will fall in place. All these things are challenges in themselves, but we are raised, taught and shown how to accomplish these challenges. One...
Since I was little, I was raised to treat people with mental illnesses just like anyone else. I remember my mom used to volunteer to pick up this woman every Sunday and bring her to church with us, then after the service we would drop her back off at her facility. This woman was in her 50's, her name was Kay, and she had down syndrome. However, when I was seven years old, I didn't understand why she was so different. One day I asked my Mom why Kay acted the way she did, and ...
I’m currently student teaching and on the home stretch of my college career. When I walk across that stage in May, I will be able to teach 7th through 12th graders in the area of English. My semester of student teaching is split in two; half spent in a middle school, the other in a high school. I just finished my middle school placement and I start at a high school on Monday. On my last day of middle school, my cooperating teacher had the students do a little reflecting on my...
The inner workings of the human mind have always fascinated me, but it is only when I sustained a severe concussion that I realized how hard it must be for those suffering from mental illnesses. Following my injury, I became very depressed. At times, when I felt the most tired, I would withdraw into myself, carrying out my everyday routine, yet at the same time only observing from within. I was a stranger in my own life, neither happy nor sad, constantly feeling as if I was d...
She is hanging in the garage.From the ceiling. With a rope around her neck.With blood dripping from her wrist. She is dead.I fumble with my key to unlock the door. I place the key in the lock and turn the nob. I turn on the light. She is not hanging there. I run to her blue van in the garage.[color=red][i]She is in the van. Laying across the back seat.Bleach...
Two small shadowy figures scurried quickly around the corner to the garbage bin behind "The Oasis" bar. In a flash they gleaned what they found edible and ran away to devour it secretly. Hal Thornton, owner of "The Oasis" had been looking out the window at the gloom of a depressing November day. What he saw tore at his very soul. He ran after them, but they disappeared almost magically. He placed a call to the police and steered them in the direction in which they had run. ...
I hate with something that is not the place to be. Messy. My life seemed to turn 180 degrees and time seemed to stop until it’s all back ordered. It's funny because I am a boy who was not supposed to blame something like that.I am a brother who has two younger brothers. Obviously this is a pretty big responsibility in the family. There is one rule in the family that requires every member working at least one or two jobs. We should be able to get away from dependence on the ...
Perhaps this is why I prefer my fingers to my fork. Perhaps this is why my feet are flaking off, disintegrating with the rest of who I used to be. Who I should be, really. Perhaps this is why I reserve morning runs for dreams of lemon pies and long rests under the sun. My eyelids shut, my body released, my mind following the pattern. But those bodily freedoms can only be savored during morning runs. Perhaps this is why I nod in submission, evading the character I a...
Sitting on the cool, hardwood floor of my bedroom, I was stacking all of my books into pillars until I could find them a permanent home. I faintly heard the groaning of our garage door as it slowly opened. “Lovely,” I sighed, “Mother’s home.” Gingerly, I stood up, wincing at the pins and needles scaling their way up my right leg. The light brown walls shuddered at the slamming of the door. Footsteps entered the kitchen as she came in through the garage. “Danielle!” shoute...
The "Jungle Book" candles on my 4th birthday cake scared me. The flames burned a hot orange, reflecting onto my mom's face as she lit them. "Happy birthday to you-"Her face is too close "-happy birthday to you-"What if she burns her skin? "-happy birthday dear Katie-"Stop. She needs to stop. She's going to catch on fire. "-happy birthday to you." I don't think anyone expected the pale, shaking birthday princess to start crying at the suggesti...
I would like to put something out in the open. If you have not had a mental illness, you have no relative concept of what it is like. Sympathy is appreciated. However there is quite a fine line between that and pity. I do not pity myself for having anxiety, and I do not pity others for their mental illnesses. Of course I despise the very being of these illnesses. Yet I do not pity those afflicted by it. I admire those people. I look at them and know that they have difficulti...
Ah, the Olympics…an opportunity to celebrate national athletes, a time to marvel despairingly at people who are more fit that we could dream of being, a sign that the world is alright.Yet in the 1980’s, reciprocating Cold War invasions, the United States boycotted the Moscow summer Olympics, indicating that in their mind, the world was certainly not alright.Since then, few Olympics have been boycotted or perhaps ever will be which is beneficial to the future world peace. ...
i have never been a sports person but i always love and admire sports person for their sportsmanship. what takes them to the winter or summer olympics is their constant dedication for the sport. when most of us are sleeping on our beds, they are those humans who get up and go for practice. this will power, love, devotion is the true olympic spirit. the olympic spirit can not be expressed in words because it is a drive from inside.when ...
Marriage is a great event that makes every couple feel special. It is the committed way to start a family that has been accepted in most of the countries. Once get married, the couple has to face the day-to-day challenges of married life. Here are few ideas that help you to live a happy married life.Find What Makes You HappyCouples required living in a way so that they can make each other happy. Your choice may vary from your spouse but finding it is a way to mak...
The Olympic Spirit: International Connection I remember listening to my mother when I was little in awe as she talked about the 1988 Summer Olympics in South Korea. Everywhere you turned you could feel the air crackle with an almost tangible excitement and pride the people emanated. A new energy seemed to surge as if a spell was casted over the citizens. It was a new opportunity for the growing country. And when the Seoul Olympic Stadium finally opened and as athletes from a...
A Villanelle:How can we be friends?I am ambushed by an incontrovertible smile,and the spoken aphorisms the world can’t handle.Insubstantial bargains for precious time.I inhale pessimism to exhale optimismand savor the harmonious burns inside of my lungs.I am ambushed by an incontrovertible smile.My attempts to coax this vexatious introversionare set aside by unorthodox diversions.Insubstantial bargains for precious time.I divulge my psycheto a mass of reservat...
I’ve never underestimated the power of dreams because I’ve seen firsthand what it’s like to have one or two come true. A great dream never comes easy. Everything I’ve endured while in pursuit of my dreams is a lesson I’ll remember always. My professor once told me, “I love to read your writing because you’re the type of person that quietly observes the unseen. The second look you give, that others pass up, is what strengthens your pieces”. He was right. I’ve always let people...
==From a Frosty O'hara blog reader==I have come to regret my actions and i feel stupid as the days goes by now i am confused and i feel half dead, soI share my story with you for your opinions.I had recently got a job as a personal assistant to my present boss, at first he was so mean to me and i was so desperate for i job i was willing to do anything to get on his good side, i think he noticed so he took advantage of the situation and made me sleep with him, and thi...
==From a Friend== For a week now i have been confused, my name is Ashley , so i am sharing my experience with you readers for their opinions. I am a fresh out graduate graduate , i have known my boyfriend for three years and i love him a whole lot, but for the past one week now i have been really confused, I have received a job offer in Canada , and it is my dream job, i always wanted to be a nurse but i haven't found any job in the UK , my boyfri...
Hello everybody, its me again *wink* i wont bore you well i never do , today is going to be quite different from the normal tips and advice i give today is going to be few story of my life, and tips and advice's for your own valentine's too. may i warn you not all of my past valentines were spent with my boyfriend some where single . but i still had fun anyway, if you get bored you can skip to the interesting parts you prefer or you can read on because i can be quit...
big is beautiful too, for plus sized women there are some clothing accessories that hide your curves and make you appear larger than you actually are and there are some clothing accessories that seem to hit it right on the spot and accentuate all the lovely curves you are blessed with, follow this advice and you will never have to worry if this cloth looks good on you or it is just giving a full definition of horrible. to read my article on this go here http://frostyohara.blo...
Lets just say 90% of all women all feel they could lose the extra pounds, even if our collar bone is still sticking out but here i will explain further on why we as females always feel ...
==From Frosty O'hara blog reader== i have been really sad now for the past two days and i have decided to share it with you readers if they can give me their opinion. She has been my Bff since we were 8 and i have always loved her like a sister, i have always kept her before my boyfriends and almost everything, till 2 days now i found out she has been sleeping with my boyfriend for 3 mon...