Writing Community for College Students

International blog for college students on StageofLife.comShare Your College Story.  Enter Writing Contest.  More...

Stage of Life® is a writing community designed for college bloggers.  Get involved with our writing mission by sharing your life experiences, entering our writing contests for college students, explore our goal setting resources, and review our college blogs about entertainment, statistics about college students, teen trend reports and more.  Wherever you are in college, whether you're a freshman or a senior, we look forward to reading your essays about your college experiences, fears, challenges, and triumphs.  Starting writing today...

Enter StageofLife.com college writing contest Twitter writing contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for college students on StageofLife.com
Enter the national writing contest for college students: Dec. 2014

"Random Acts of Kindness"

Don't have a lot of time to write?
Enter our "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.

College Student Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com

Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's discount code for college students     Lenovo computer discount for college students

Essay Winners

Recent Teen Writing Contest Winners

Teen Blogging WinnersWinning Teen EssayBefore you scroll down to read the essays being submitted by our teen writers and bloggers, let's celebrate the recent essay winners.  If you want to see if your essay was a finalist - check out our monthly teen trend report summary for each writing contest.

Teen Writing Contest Details

Read College Stories

As God cannot be everywhere so he sent his angel in the form of our 'Mother' to be with us, love us and care for us the same way as God loves his children.Our day begins with a call "Mother" , and there she is-ready with what we want. She cares even for the smallest thing of ours. Her role in our lives is just like the role of oxygen for in existance. As we cannot think of our survival in absence of oxygen, the same way absence of our mother would leave us helpless.But un...
We were only in class for fifteen minutes when I looked to my right and saw a guy sitting by the wall alone. He was your average guy: tall, nineteen, brown hair and eyes, jeans and a shirt. He was sitting alone, three chairs away from a small group of students sitting in the same row with him talking and laughing at each other. I had the aisle seat and though I should have been listening to my professor as she talked about the poverty line in the United States and what ethnic...
We all must have heard the saying that " helping someone is more valuable than joining hand in front of the God".. Helping someone gives us happiness and we feel more at peace..Well in my story I was the one who was at the receiving end of the kindness..At that time I was in my high school when that incident took place.. It's still fresh in my mind as if it happened just yesterday.. At that time I was staying in the hostel because of my coaching classes..It was one fin...
My semester abroad in Rome, Italy was nearing its end. My bank account was evidence enough. I was almost completely out of the babysitting money I had saved up for months. I felt “unlucky” when my friends embarked on a final weekend trip to Paris while I stayed back in Rome, unable to fund a final trip to another country. Looking back now, I laugh at the idea of an extra weekend in Rome, “the eternal city,” being a bad thing. With a few friends who had also remaine...
I am sending my writing submission for: {Random Acts of Kindness, Due date is December 31, 2014By: RebeccaEmail:queton12@yahoo.com}The spirit of kindness is drenched in acts of endearing words, generosity, heartfelt expressions. It is the human touch of benevolence that conjoins us to our fellow man. 1st Corinthians 13 instructs us that we can have the gift of performing tasks and have knowledge of mysteries, but (if we do not have L O V E ), that last commandm...
“RANDOM ACT OF KINDNESS: GOODWILL OF AN UNFAMILIAR FAMILY” My family and I chalked out a programme to spend a day in the village (sakhro) of my father’s friend. The anxiously awaited day brought feverish activity with it. We were in a mood to enjoy ourselves as much as possible. The sight of the village was full of grandeur and splendour. The light drizzle from the silvery clouds, the cool breeze and the blooming flowers had magical effect on us. That was rea...
Brielle ClaytonIB English A1/ HlMr. Helle 10 December 2014 Random Acts of Kindness: How I Received My First Job As being a teenager in the 21st century, having a job by sixteen or seventeen is expected from you. However, finding a job is not easy. By still being in high school, you constantly get kicked to the curb by college students. I was fortunate enough to be handed a job that you normally would not see a high school...
As many ways as this will be viewed, I in my own personal stance saw this as an act of kindness. I was newly 19 at the time and my cousin to whom I used to be close with was going through a hard time. I knew she was in an abusive relationship but there's only so much I could say. One day while I was away at school she called me crying because she was pregnant with this awful man. She had always been very religious but even she knew that this baby wouldn't have been able to es...
Let’s be honest: searching for a job is a stressful process. Every person seeks stability which is impossible for someone who goes to bed without a clear plan for the next day. Of course, there are individuals who enjoy meeting new people and learning new things daily but there are other numerous drawbacks to get stressed about. You may be discouraged after losing your previous job. You may be tired after countless unavailing interviews. You may be overwhelmed if this is your...
It was nine at night and the cozy library in Boulder Colorado was about to close. I was there to pick out a book for my ten year old brother, Caleb, to read, a book that wasn’t there. I couldn’t go home empty handed so I grabbed the first interesting cover I saw. The cover had a drawing of a young boy standing in the ocean holding a lightning bolt in his hands and I hoped Caleb wouldn’t think it was cheesy. I flipped through the first few pages and could tell by the looks of ...
Here are some advices for you to get success in this deal. Hope it will be useful!Get a reviewIt is very important for every writer not to rush. You should not ask any editor to work with your manuscript until you have not reviewed it with a fresh eye. Also, you can ask for help one or even two of your objective friends or colleagues to do th...
When you are a mostly-white, middle class, twenty-something, American college student, they tell you that the world is yours. Pumped full of my own propaganda, I fully subscribed to the belief that I was not only going to change the world. but that I was destined to change the world. It practically owed me. It did not. Yes, I worked hard in school. But did that merit special money, special classes, special room and board? Should performing to the sta...
“It was very pleasant to savor its aroma, for smells have the power to evoke the past, bringing back sounds and even other smells that have no match in the present.” – Laura Esquivel This quote is found in Laura Esquivel’s Like Water for Chocolate during a moment in which the aroma of a familiar dish is able to remind the protagonist of her lost identity, and, ultimately, heal her broken spirit. Esquivel’s novel centers around the kitchen, and the power it has to b...
My name is Nina Foushee, and I come from a family of food worshippers. To be a Foushee, a true member of my dad’s family, one must be a product of The Great Depression- one must value food immensely, and go to lengths to obtain it cheaply and keep it from being wasted. On my mother’s side, Rusks demand absolute food-related enthusiasm: my mom’s sister broke up with a boyfriend of hers because of his subpar reaction to her favorite Mexican restaurant. The Foushee...
Your mamma used to quote Sarah Kay: “But I want you to know that this world is made out of sugar: it can crumble so easily, but don’t be afraid to stuck your tongue out and taste it”. You listened to your mamma’s advice, you were a good girl. Your tongue was always out, trying to absorb the beauty of life that you could turn into words later. That is how you got your first Pharyngitis- you were trying to eat snow. You said: “What if the crystals inside snow could make t...
"Everybody loves to eat"-Different countries,different culture and different cuisines.....Food habits varies from North to South and from East to West..but still what connects us all together is the food from all over the world.. This is an incident when I went to home during last semester break..Being with family has always been fun for me..Well during one of those evening my sister Shruti and I were fighting over the food which we wanted to have latter that night...She w...
How we are supposed to decide whether our life is going smooth or not? life is all about new experiences,expectation how to decide when we need a break from our monotonous life? well at one point of our life we do feel that if " I would have done that than things would have been different"....... In our lives we all have come across this fact "why we didn't do what we wanted to do"... Well the reason can be many but for most of us we keep on thinking rather than doing......
Food is the ligaments in our relationships: the way ligament connects bones across the body, food connects people across generations and ethnic backgrounds. This can best be shown on the day my aunt held a party for her last of three adopted Chinese children. My family was all there. My aunt and everyone related to her was white, her husband and his family was Puerto Rican. Her newest daughter was about two, the rest of the family ranged from seven to ninety-eight. At first w...
As the summer finally takes its departure from the skies, I sit with vague thoughts and strong memories of cozy November, of the time spent with mother, in our kitchen back at home. Lovingly quarreling over the menu of every single night, she would always give in for me. She enjoyed seeing me merrily cook for all. With the arrival of seasonal vegetables, I came up with various dishes that no wonder they all loved! November has been our family’s closest to the heart. Mother’s...
Lobsters are peculiar animals. Tens legs that allow for constant movement, sharp dangerous claws, and a hard, seemingly unbreakable exoskeleton are enough to constitute a young child’s nightmare. But each year on Fourth of July, with the glow of the sunset illuminating our wooden dinner table at our small lake house in Maine, these strange creatures bring my family together. My family is spread out across the East Coast and West Coast, which makes contact difficulty and b...
Children grow real fast. My daughter got her driving license recently and wanted to drive regularly. It was something we were expecting and prepared. We checked our options beforehand and determined that buying her a car would be the best option. The Car We Bought for Her We were looking for a smaller automobile for the below reasons.1. She made it clear that she didn’t want a big car because they were difficult to manoeuvre. 2. She will mainly drive in the city that a...
At a young age, my parents influenced me to keep my mind open to trying new things. I learned that most of the food to try will almost certainly taste good. My grandmother was born in Spain, and my mother was raised in Washington DC. My father lived in Puerto Rico for a portion of his childhood, although his parents were from Italy. With a diversity of cultures affecting my life, I was exposed to a variety of culture foods. My grandmother is very old now, but I remember wh...
Leaping down the stairs, missing several steps at once, I land on my feet at the bottom of the stairs and follow the appetizing aroma of cookies baking in the oven. My petite mother is in the kitchen, hunched over the floured covered countertop, with a spoon in one hand and a bowl in the other. Once a year during the winter holidays my mother bakes hundreds of different types of cookies. Every year we enjoy oatmeal chocolate chip, pizzelles, Italian cookies, snicker doodl...
As a proud member of the USA swimming team, I have been swimming for 14 years of my life. As you grow up, practices get harder as each stage in life progresses. After so many practices each year, 1 practice stands out to dare even the strongest athletes. My team participated in an athletic training test, The Chocolate Milk Test. In the past chocolate milk has been rumored to be one of the best recovery drinks for all outperforming athletes. To a typical grown male, ...
Thanksgiving has always been a big deal in my house, but the even bigger deal was my Grandma’s famous pumpkin rolls. My Grandma would spend weeks making tons of them. It seems like she gives one to everyone she knows and still has extras to store in the freezer. So obviously when I had the opportunity of helping her make them I could not be happier. [If you do not know what a pumpkin roll is: it is a pumpkin sheet cake that is frosted with cream cheese and then rolled up, thu...
November. November means Thanksgiving, family, and most importantly turkey. The great bird seems to receive all the recognition while other foods are forgotten. However, in my house, fish continues to be the highlight of the holidays. Every year for as long as I can remember, my parents have hosted the big Greek Thanksgiving. Aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins, and loved ones come from neighboring states to enjoy a meal in our house. And every year, my...
Food For Thought: Thanksgiving Day Dinner The aroma of freshly cooked turkey fills the bleak kitchen air as the family settles in their seats. The day is finally here. The day that we all wait for year around, the day that lets us eat as much as we want without having to feel remorseful about it later on. This is day is Thanksgivings Day. Arguably the best holiday of the year, because of the many different flavors of food which are rushed around table and into everyone’s...
The sweet and savory aroma of my grandfather’s secret recipe for meatballs fills the air every Thanksgiving and Christmas. The holiday season in my family is more of a food and music festival than anything else. Christmas music echoing throughout the house constantly, followed by the titillating scents of either the Thanksgiving turkey and veal, lobster and shrimp on Christmas eve, the pork roast on Christmas day, or, especially on all three of these days, the mouthwatering s...
On many occasions we relate holidays to food. We usually have that traditional meal in store when we gather around the table to celebrate. Part of the celebration is consuming the food and enjoying it with family. Even after the main course we eat more food in the form of dessert. Dessert just so happens to be my favorite, especially when I am having it at Gram and Papa’s house. Gram and Papa are my mother’s parents, and Gram is the best cook in all of Greater C...
Food for Thought: Texas to Poland Food is not only an iconic symbol of where you are from and your culture, but also has a place in every family. Different times of the year dictate what foods you eat. For example, in the winter and around the holidays you tend of feast on turkey, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie. While in the summer you tend to lean towards more hot dogs, hamburgers, and foods you can cook on the grill. Food just doesn’t fill you up and taste delic...