Writing Community for College Students

International blog for college students on StageofLife.comShare Your College Story.  Enter Writing Contest.  More...

Stage of Life® is a writing community designed for college bloggers.  Get involved with our writing mission by sharing your life experiences, entering our writing contests for college students, explore our goal setting resources, and review our college blogs about entertainment, statistics about college students, teen trend reports and more.  Wherever you are in college, whether you're a freshman or a senior, we look forward to reading your essays about your college experiences, fears, challenges, and triumphs.  Starting writing today...

Enter StageofLife.com college writing contest Twitter writing contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for college students on StageofLife.com
Enter the national writing contest for college students:
June / July 2015

"There's an App for That"

Don't have a lot of time to write?
Enter our "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.

College Student Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com

Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's discount code for college students     Lenovo computer discount for college students

Essay Winners

Recent Teen Writing Contest Winners

Teen Blogging WinnersWinning Teen EssayBefore you scroll down to read the essays being submitted by our teen writers and bloggers, let's celebrate the recent essay winners.  If you want to see if your essay was a finalist - check out our monthly teen trend report summary for each writing contest.

Teen Writing Contest Details

Read College Stories

Of course, like any other person I have been obsessed with some mobile game or some incredible new app that just came out, but I am starting to believe that that’s not important. The concept of life isn’t to beat a record for example in a car racing game, it’s not that. If you are thinking that I am talking about some editing photo app but I’m not… I’m not talking about the camera app either. Coming back to what I said earlier on, about what life is about. In fact before I ...
Gmail: the five letter word which names a Gmail mobile app used by over two million people. I indeed am one of those Gmail users who is particularly grateful of its significance and purpose, for the Gmail mobile app has profoundly influenced my life in a multitude of ways. The Gmail mobile app has linked me into a vast communication infrastructure which has allowed me to learn and prosper as I have sought new connections, and it has fostered my development into a healthy...
My spiritual journey began with one very simple, yet extremely powerful app: the Holy Bible. Over the past 18 years of my life, I had listened to hundreds of sermons out of the mouths of several different people. Every once in a while, something would stick out to me; a phrase, a verse, a quote, but nothing worth noting. But last August, as I sat and listened to the last sermon in the same pew at that same church before I went off to college, everything changed. I was alway...
App store is a home for 1.5 million apps and confirms residency of 1 thousand new ones applying for it every day. Apps provide their users with a variety of solutions ranging from instantly talking to friends and family to spotting skin cancer symptoms. With so many apps competing to get attention, it's becoming more and more difficult for developers to get their ideas discovered and make headlines of app sold for millions while for users it's becoming more tedious to find ...
My own father's distance between me and my mother has changed many things over the past decades of growing-up. He needed to work abroad just to fend whatever we needed. Alongside with this, I really never knew my dad—about what he likes or dislikes because there was no constant communication happening among us. Furthermore, I grew up knowing one reason why he's far away—he chose work over us. This parental crisis dawdled together with the days when I should've been needing ...
  Old is gold ; but how long can it last? I gave up my old mobile phone after my father emphasized the importance of being in touch with the latest technology. I got myself a new smart phone at a reasonable price and struggled in utilizing it’s function. It only took me a short while to overcome the tough phase. However, I was still naive since I was keeping in touch with people via messaging and calling. I did not know by downloading specific apps life will be much easier un...
I'm feeling compelled to write about the grief that I am experiencing as I prepare to become an empty nester. I have read about the Empty Nest Syndrome, and the research indicates that for most it really isn't a time of sadness, but rather a time to look forward to the future and becoming your true self once again. I can see that as part of the experience for me, and I look forward to that time, however right now, the truth of the matter is that I'm experiencing real pain aro...
When I graduated high school, my brother hired me to manage customer service for his app Hours. Although the app was designed to help freelancers track their billable time, our customers found unbelievably creative ways to use its simple time tracking interface, from tracking breastfeeding schedules to exercise routines. My favorite part of the job was receiving emails in which our customers gushed about how Hours was helping them to change habits and get more out of their ti...
One sunny afternoon, when I felt the usual sinking feeling in my stomach, the tiny spark of teenage instinct left in me, buried deep within me, told me: “There is an app for everything!” And though I didn’t expect to find too many search results for a depression-curing application on an android device, six beautiful megabytes of electronic data awaited me. Moments later, the line “Successfully installed: Depression CBT Self Help Guide” appeared in my notifications panel.‘...
According to the survey there are almost 1.3million app available for downloading..There are app including from Map to Candy crush game,from Opera mini to Antivirus app..All the mobile app has made our life more easy and comfortable. Mobile app like Watsapp and Line helps us to connect to one other in various part of the country. Same way app like Opera mini and User browser helps us in collecting information about anything. Opera mini app has been very useful for...
Historically speaking, brunch has gone through three phases— it began in Britain as a privilege for the wealthy, moved to the US as a way for Hollywood stars to eat glamorously after early morning plane rides in the 1930’s, and was known as the “varsity” meal for its association with hung-over college students. All of this is according to sociologist Farha Ternikar, author of Brunch: A History.However, the most contemporary form of brunch is a glamorized social gathering, a...
Distance has a way of defining people. It can restrict the accumulation of new experiences and perspectives, and at the same time it can cause one to realize how fortunate they are with what they have. To many, distance from a loved one translates to travel, Skype or frequent texts and phone calls. But it’s not hard to realize that there’s nothing like experiencing something or someone first hand.A NYC girl myself, I was both excited and nervous to hear that my best frien...
Isn’t it surprising that just a reminder from your childhood could have such a fabulous impact on your day? Today I started my morning as usual, getting on the crowded NJ Transit and then the even more crowded Uptown 1 subway. I woke up at 6:45, but for some reason I felt lighter and happier than I had in weeks. I had finally been able to check off the biggest item of my to-do list, last night I finished the final edits of my novel manuscript and sent it to an age...
Freshman college year for many of us was a shot at a new start. I for one wanted to improve for the better: become more organized, less stressed, more accomplished, the usual. I bought a whole slew of objects to achieve this end, like desk planners, sticky wall calendars, dry erase boards, and a lot of sticky notes. But as distracting as I believed cell phones were, I secretly subscribed to the idea that mobile devices and other technologies were… efficient. Yes, my parent...
“OMG! This really cute guy just matched with me on Tinder!” I walk past a group of girls who start to squeal after their friend excitedly looks at her phone. A question arises in my mind, “What is Tinder? What does it mean to be matched?” I decide to do some research on Tinder and found that this app is a means for people to look for potential partners. If a person wants to be matched with someone, that person has to do is swipe to the right on his or her phone. However, on w...
You know someone is intelligent when their presence intimidates you. And, boy did Professor Kim Cameron-Dominguez scare the crap out of me! I remember my first time seeing her, adorning her customary pair of four-inch, high-heeled shoes, she was walking up the three flights of stairs to her office. Most people would have just took the elevator, especially in those shoes, but Kim Cam is too good for that. Another time she was giving a speech, her style and diction had my ...
In high school, I signed up to be a volunteer tutor for the non-English speaking staff in my community. Bertha, an old lovely lady with a black Aramark apron, was my English student for the term. At first, I thought it was slightly odd to teach someone who was much older than my own mother. Regardless, I started with a basic, “Hi, where are you from?”She replied, “I am originally from Mexico.” “Describe your hometown for me.” She could not explain her hometown to ...
TEACHER APPRECIATION: -“Success Shadowed Under”Being a student is the best phase of life. We experience lot during this time. We are taught the meaning of useful terms like discipline, time managing, respecting the ideologies, being obedient and many more. These basic concepts are gifted by our own hard working teachers so that we may succeed throughout the life and able to face hurdles with great strength. For me, the teacher is a shadow of god to all knowledge seekers. ...
There are 2 wardrobes in everyone's "Life's Home",where faculties of FAILURE &SUCCESS are battling for winning "A TUG OF WAR".We ,generally,succumb to failure at an ease for it has a laxative effect,provocative our subconscious mind to reside in its "COMFORT ZONE".Well,Yeah!I'm "COMFORT ZONE" lover,but,despite the fact ,like you ,I,too,love achievements,such achievements,which can empower my RACE,my,forthcoming generationsI believe Teachers and Achievements are proportion...
Ms Sonia Álvarez, was our history teacher for 3 years and our form teacher for 2 years, and because of that I realize that she is my favourite teacher because I shared lots of good moments with her that I will never forget.Ms Álvarez, is very affectionate with me and with my classmates, she is always asking us if we are okey, if we studied well the exam and if we had a problem she would try to help us by making us forget any problem and keep going on. Her classes were...
Everyone has a person who admires or appreciates for a reason. According to me, mine was Mr. Peraza, my music teacher. He was honest, kind, simpathetic, cheerful, hopeful,..Mr. Peraza had all the qualities that make a teacher great. He taught us in a different way in comparison with other teachers; instead of talking about the same topic during the whole class he put us same films related to the unit and by the time we watched, he explained to us the theme. When we were over...
A teacher can be compared to a diver. Just as a diver dives deep into the ocean and takes out precious jewels from the ocean, similarly a good teacher is the one who can extract the best out of his students and can channelize their potential. With no second thoughts in mind, I can say that Mr. C.J. Dueman is my favourite teacher. In today’s materialistic world such a noble profession as teaching has become a bussiness for most of the people but this does not stands true in ca...
Yes, you heard me. How to take over the world. The confusion and the sense of “is this person crazy” I imagine you are feeling is the same as mine when I was a freshman at Cass Technical High School. I miss one day of school with my new English Language Arts teacher, and come back to learn our goal of global domination. A goal that makes it seem like we were being taught to be evil masterminds. However, it was more a philosophy that instilled in my class that we are th...
My initial college advisor and co-facilitator of my introductory class, Dr. Kenyon was the first professor I met on campus. My family and I had just arrived at school for moving day when a man in a Residential Life shirt made his way towards us. I thought he was one of the RAs until he introduced himself. I felt stunned: never would I have imagined a faculty member casually coming to welcome me and help bring my things to my room. Immediately, I had enormous respect for the d...
  Teachers play a significant role in our life. Their dedication in teaching, patience in dealing our tantrums, guidance towards success has made us this far and they will never expect anything in return. Their continuous support and faith on us will never diminish making us thank them till the end of life. In such way, my mom who is my lifelong teacher has been my backbone until now.    From the day I born, my mother catered all my needs and ensured I had a fruitful life...
There have been many moments in my life that I would consider to be highly stressful. Sometimes I get very stressed out by my family, by my friends, classmates, grades, and even at myself at times. But this one weekend stressed me out more that anything else. I am typically a very relaxed person (other than around my family, but who isn't crazy around their family). One of my many flaws is obsessive compulsive disorder. I am not crazy OCD, and it isn't in every area of my lif...
Teachers don’t usually go beyond what is in their job description. My teacher however, went beyond the stars. I was young, so it etched into my mind forever. I know that if she hadn't picked our school to teach, I wouldn't have reached where I’d gotten today. I was lonely and didn’t get on with anyone, not because I didn’t want to or try, they just refused to accept me. However, in year three of primary school, I got a new teacher. She specialized in art and noticed how I w...
She was the one who made wonders in my life. Viji ma'm...she is my English teacher.I loved English only because of her.It was the time I was studying ninth standard.She took me class for only one year.And that one year was the year which changed myself more optimistic.It was at that time I learned to develop my personality,my fluency in English where I started watching English films and English news channels and it was at that time I valued my self esteem.She was a very kind ...
In my home country of Ukraine, I have been studying English from the age of ten. I studied English in middle school. I studied English in high school. I studied English by myself. I attended English courses, too. However, my English skills were mediocre. The more I studied, the less I knew. I froze at the intermediate level and could not move forward. I decided the only way to really improve my English skills was to study the language in an English environment. That's how I e...
A teacher holds such a place in any individual life that sometime its impossible to define her importance in our life.I was one of the very lucky student who had the support of two teacher's, both an integral part of my life. Sometime strict,sometime jovial but most of the they were like guiding stars. Whosoever and whatsoever I am,deep down lies of effort of them.They have helped me in nurturing my dreams and guiding me through out the life. When I was wrong,I have g...