Writing Community for College Students

International blog for college students on StageofLife.comShare Your College Story.  Enter Writing Contest.  More...

Stage of Life® is a writing community designed for college bloggers.  Get involved with our writing mission by sharing your life experiences, entering our writing contests for college students, explore our goal setting resources, and review our college blogs about entertainment, statistics about college students, teen trend reports and more.  Wherever you are in college, whether you're a freshman or a senior, we look forward to reading your essays about your college experiences, fears, challenges, and triumphs.  Starting writing today...

Enter StageofLife.com college writing contest Twitter writing contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for college students on StageofLife.com
Enter the national writing contest for college students: September2014

"Who Are You?

Don't have a lot of time to write?
Enter our "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.

College Student Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com

Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's discount code for college students     Lenovo computer discount for college students

Essay Winners

Recent Teen Writing Contest Winners

Teen Blogging WinnersWinning Teen EssayBefore you scroll down to read the essays being submitted by our teen writers and bloggers, let's celebrate the recent essay winners.  If you want to see if your essay was a finalist - check out our monthly teen trend report summary for each writing contest.

Teen Writing Contest Details

Read College Stories

It was well thought out & discussed, planned, even negotiated. I was getting a new hairdoo & I could hardly wait. The process began like most, with intense research. Research that included internet searches, watching television shows, & finally cutting out photos in magazines to present to my new stylist. I felt crazy about changing my look, thinking a new cut would promote change that included weight loss, a new direction, style, sophistication & really turn heads. Out ...
I rideSmooth sailing engine down the Big Apple streetsPartition drawn up catching whispers and breathsThough I may lead the way I still sit in the backgroundSpotlights reflecting, bending from me to them.I am invisibleThe vehicle, the messenger, the speakerCollect all their secrets and empty glassesThey may know me not yet I stay like a ghostBut their lives are more haunted than we’ve ever thoughtI am the keeperIn my hands I hold the keys to their lifePush the p...
Who Am I? These three words ask an almost impossible question. Every person is a deep well of thoughts and experiences. No one person fits entirely into that stereotypical mold society wants us to fit into. I am just the same. My name is Audrey Urban. Though I am only 20 years old, I know who I am, but it wasn’t always that way. I came from a very small high school that was run by people with the right last name. It did not matter how good you were, if you did not have the” ...
The question was "who do you think you are". My initial response to this was: I have no idea. I've been asked this question before and was yet again, caught off guard. The gut punching reality of life is that most of the time, we are lost. We are lost in love, lost in heartbreak, lost in our own dreams, or the dreams of our parents. When I look in the mirror, I see someone I don't enjoy looking at. It goes beyond simply being a girl and being self conscious. I'm so wrapped...
“I am—“ And I pause to think: How do I complete it? Then the identities roll in. A boy; a son; a brother; a friend; a student; a classmate; a reader; a writer; a gamer; a nerd—-all these at once, and never one without the rest. But I pause, still, for none of them is acceptable.To someone watching the world, I am not “the boy” or “the son” or “the gamer.” There are too many of those. The only hope of correctly identifying me is with a number. I am a number. And I am importa...
I am the girl who sits in the corner. I am the girl that nobody sees. I am the girl who cries in the nighttime. I am in the prison that nobody frees. I am the quiet one; I get straight A’s. I work and I work, but nobody sees. I am the girl who reads in the corner. I am the one who cries down on her knees.I am the fixture in the front of the classroom that not even the teacher sees. I am the fixture in the back of the gym. I am the one that they love to tease.I...
One of the most defining moments of my life goes back almost 14 years ago to my old daycare. Being a girl at the age 0f 4 or 5 was hard for me. Constantly boys were around me saying girls weren't brave, smart, or strong. On days where the discouragement became too much, I would go home crying saying "I want to be a boy." No, I am not a transvestite. I am actually pretty girly. I just thought that being a boy would be easier because I would become strong, brave, and smart. O...
The first was tall, with dark hair and hazel eyes. The hazel eyes were made hazel with brown and green, and when first looked upon they seemed to be serious. But if there were love in a person, that person saw an immense sadness in the seriousness, and if the love in that person truly loved those hazel eyes she saw a gentleness in the sadness. He had immensely gentle eyes.The girl with him felt small and delicate beside him, and once in a while they would walk arm in arm an...
If for some reason you decided to shadow a fifteen-year-old Walter Guillory II, you would grow accustomed to the groans from a high school junior forced to muster the strength roll out of bed at 6:00 in the morning, five days each week. I detested high school. My classmates, an inappropriately exuberant and loquacious bunch, probably thought me strange ever since I joined the high school the previous year. Admittedly, my social skills were less than extraordinary, likely due ...
After hours of tiresome work I came home. It was almost 6:00pm in the evening. I positioned myself in the garden chair with a cup of coffee staring in the distance to have some relief. I felt burdened with the duties of life. After a while I came in and started searching for a file. It was to be submitted in the college the very next day. Suddenly something so hard thumped against my hand. I found an old book. I could easily recognise it. It was my diary. A wave of ecst...
On the last day of my Ethics class junior year, my teacher made everybody say something nice about somebody else. I was never one of the “popular” kids in grade school, and while we do not really have that kind of thing at my high school and I have become much more outgoing, I am still a little reserved. Regardless, I did not expect many comments from my peers, maybe one. But to my surprise, I got three. The first was a surprise, as it came from somebody I do not really t...
Kindergarten: Reading is my best subject. Our teacher reads Junie B. Jones to us everyday. I like to write in my journal about my vacation to Colorado and my Halloween costume. I'm debating between dressing as Laura Ingalls or Ginny Weasley. First Grade: I read Nancy Drew books because my mom used to. A girl on the playground says they're too hard for me, but I prove her wrong. Second Grade: I'm obsessed with Accelerated Reader, a program at our school where you earn poin...
Jealousy. Bragging. Excitement. Habit. They all have one thing in common. They are the reasons why Generation Y is so obsessed with social media. The average person checks their phone every six minutes for goodness sake. I won’t deny that I just looked at my phone — not from a notification, just to look. Maybe it’s F.O.M.O., maybe we are addicted. Either way (or if we’ve fallen victim to both) something needs to change. We only have five more minutes before the cy...
There is always that one teacher who is a nice person, but cannot teach. They just can’t! Either they’re too smart for their own good and have a hard time “dumbing it down” for us poor students, or they simply do not have the communication skills that is a necessity in the field of teaching. They’re great people, and I love them as people, please don’t get me wrong, but they just aren’t great teachers. So what do you do when you’re sweating the day before that physics test? ...
YouTube has impacted the world in more ways than one, rather than be in the realm of the LGBTQ+ community, raising awareness for a cause or just making someone laugh. YouTube has defiantly made a difference in the lives of whole communities and individuals.My ninth grade of high school was when I first began using YouTube, at first to upload lyrics videos of my favorite songs, and then I came across a YouTuber by the name of Philip DeFranco. DeFranco’s videos were and conti...
to be very honest i have never been a very active audience of youtube but at times certain videos are so sensational, motivating or say shocking that it moves me, makes me think. it teaches and conveys a lot within just 4-5 minutes. therefore it is more than a video....
Guys, I’m going to let you in on a secret – I have a super snack-crush on those white cheddar cheese puff things. Seriously. No matter how much I eat, I cannot stop the need for more. Very few things command this kind of obsession in my life – an insatiable, nonsensical, somewhat humiliating craving I can only feed by more of…well…what I crave. Youtube is one of those cravings and it’s almost more serious than cheese puffs. I realized this problem when I was in college last s...
The world offers everything we undeniably need at all times. Its intent is to make life easier and make time more efficient to use. I barely remember the time when I was still using encyclopedias and those thick books, which I bear upon my back. Sometimes, my bag simply squeals and whines about his hefty load. Now, with just one click and all data from books were fed up by the computer with the internet. Technology is advancing. Sometimes it is now becoming a necessity rather...
Am I obviously using youtube? And you are quite asking me about it? Na, don’t tell me that you do not? I bet you were also using this incredibly popular site in the internet. Tell me it is not only me getting crazy in browsing my favorite videos inside this thick volume book of media files. I use youtube every time I am connected in the internet. I wonder if my browser does not whine on many tabs I am making whenever I am in youtube.In youtube, you can be a viewer or an uplo...
It’s a sweltering, humid summer night, the kind that discourages movement, not because of reluctance for physical exertion, but because your sweaty legs are stuck to whatever cool surface you’ve managed to affix yourself to. You started the night on Youtube, it ended on Youtube, but between those two times it would be incorrect to say you existed solely plastered to the cool bedroom bedroom floor. You began by looking for that music video you heard in your friend’s car yeste...
There are people in the world gifted with the voice of angels and no this is not a metaphor. People actually exist in this world that have such a clear and pure voice that it immediately touches your heart. And trust me, it's not the lyrics even if they're just as amazing as the voice because well for one, the lyrics are in an alien language to me.(Not really alien, just Japanese. :)) When I heard this song...it changed my life. The lyrics for one are just downright brutally ...
In 2008, I discovered a YouTube channel after reading John Green’s Looking for Alaska. I didn't realize then that the channel would change my life. The Vlogbrothers have since become one of the most popular channels among young adults, and have formed a community around their videos called Nerdfighters. A project that started between the two brothers John and Hank Green has gone on to inspire young people to do amazing things. Nerdfighters are actively trying to decrease th...
I never cared about it at first. The internet was still a strange world to me that I was still discovering. I never thought it would change or impact anyoess life, not even myself. But signing up for one of my first social accounts, which was Youtube, little that I knew that its just a another world to be discovered. Today as I see and watch these endless amounts of videos, which over 1 billion users visit each month, it has become the center of our generation, and to think i...
The brain is probably my favorite part of people to explore. There are so many different characters out there in real life; the results of cracking through someone’s inner shell seem infinite. You never know what will surface after that bond is made. The after party when everyone is either gone or passed out. That one person you’ve spent the whole night with has finally maxed out his defenses on rum and repressed emotions. You and he sit on the bed in his ...
YouTube has impacted me a lot actually. I am gay so just like any LGBTQ teen I struggled a lot with my sexuality, I turned to YouTube as a way to gain confidence with who I was. I was realizing who I was as an individual not quite understanding these conflicting feelings, when I started to watch all the gay You Tuber's it made things a lot easier for me to cope with. Seeing there was other people out there who went through the same struggles was great. YouTube is such a grea...
May 24, 2014 I'm sitting in a hole in the wall bar, Rumours in Canon City, Colorado- the temperatureis cold and the air insanely dry. Of course, people are drunk; wayward walking and gargling their words but among this classic picture of a small town Saturday night is a sound that has the ability to open ears. Forget all the gossip and cheeky small talk- let's listento the band, a little rock and roll- a little blues. A group called the Crowning Kings. Small really to s...
In high school and even my first year of college not every teach or professor taught in a way that I learned something quickly. Sometimes I would turn to YouTube to learn something that I may not have fully grasped in the classroom. All through out my years in school I was more of a hands on learner than if someone was to just explain something to me and expect me to have full understanding. When a teacher played a video or physically showed me I could learn quickly and have ...
Meme was my grandmother. She was the most loving grandparent I have had in my life. She never judged me whenever I told her how I felt or what happened in my life and what reaction I had. She supported me throughout my life and never let me down. She went to every dance recital that I ever took part in.And then tragedy struck. She became so very sick. Her kidneys began to act up. She ended up on dialysis every day for about a year. She was in and out of the hospital cons...
When I was in secondary school, I knew YouTube as one thing – a hub for music videos. I remember streaming my favourite songs in High definition and playing them repeatedly. I would play the official videos several times. And I would watch the videos with lyrics, so I could sing along with my friends. Now, in the university, YouTube is so much more to me. When my attention forsakes me and I stop taking notes; I simply go back to my dorm, flip open my laptop an...
I remember watching the very first episode of “America’s Best Dance Crew” where Kaba Modern was the last to perform. With the stereotypical story of Asian American young adults pursuing dance dreams without the support of family, I immediately thought, “This group BETTER be good!” Because it was so rare that Asians were featured on mainstream television, I felt like I was sending pressure energy to Kaba Modern to represent well for the entire Asian population in the U.S. It t...