Writing Community for College Students

International blog for college students on StageofLife.comShare Your College Story.  Enter Writing Contest.  More...

Stage of Life® is a writing community designed for college bloggers.  Get involved with our writing mission by sharing your life experiences, entering our writing contests for college students, explore our goal setting resources, and review our college blogs about entertainment, statistics about college students, teen trend reports and more.  Wherever you are in college, whether you're a freshman or a senior, we look forward to reading your essays about your college experiences, fears, challenges, and triumphs.  Starting writing today...

Enter StageofLife.com college writing contest Twitter writing contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for college students on StageofLife.com
Enter the national writing contest for college students: Nov. 2014

"Food for Thought"

Don't have a lot of time to write?
Enter our "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.

College Student Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com

Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's discount code for college students     Lenovo computer discount for college students

Essay Winners

Recent Teen Writing Contest Winners

Teen Blogging WinnersWinning Teen EssayBefore you scroll down to read the essays being submitted by our teen writers and bloggers, let's celebrate the recent essay winners.  If you want to see if your essay was a finalist - check out our monthly teen trend report summary for each writing contest.

Teen Writing Contest Details

Read College Stories

As the summer finally takes its departure from the skies, I sit with vague thoughts and strong memories of cozy November, of the time spent with mother, in our kitchen back at home. Lovingly quarreling over the menu of every single night, she would always give in for me. She enjoyed seeing me merrily cook for all. With the arrival of seasonal vegetables, I came up with various dishes that no wonder they all loved! November has been our family’s closest to the heart. Mother’s...
Lobsters are peculiar animals. Tens legs that allow for constant movement, sharp dangerous claws, and a hard, seemingly unbreakable exoskeleton are enough to constitute a young child’s nightmare. But each year on Fourth of July, with the glow of the sunset illuminating our wooden dinner table at our small lake house in Maine, these strange creatures bring my family together. My family is spread out across the East Coast and West Coast, which makes contact difficulty and b...
Children grow real fast. My daughter got her driving license recently and wanted to drive regularly. It was something we were expecting and prepared. We checked our options beforehand and determined that buying her a car would be the best option. The Car We Bought for Her We were looking for a smaller automobile for the below reasons.1. She made it clear that she didn’t want a big car because they were difficult to manoeuvre. 2. She will mainly drive in the city that a...
At a young age, my parents influenced me to keep my mind open to trying new things. I learned that most of the food to try will almost certainly taste good. My grandmother was born in Spain, and my mother was raised in Washington DC. My father lived in Puerto Rico for a portion of his childhood, although his parents were from Italy. With a diversity of cultures affecting my life, I was exposed to a variety of culture foods. My grandmother is very old now, but I remember wh...
Leaping down the stairs, missing several steps at once, I land on my feet at the bottom of the stairs and follow the appetizing aroma of cookies baking in the oven. My petite mother is in the kitchen, hunched over the floured covered countertop, with a spoon in one hand and a bowl in the other. Once a year during the winter holidays my mother bakes hundreds of different types of cookies. Every year we enjoy oatmeal chocolate chip, pizzelles, Italian cookies, snicker doodl...
As a proud member of the USA swimming team, I have been swimming for 14 years of my life. As you grow up, practices get harder as each stage in life progresses. After so many practices each year, 1 practice stands out to dare even the strongest athletes. My team participated in an athletic training test, The Chocolate Milk Test. In the past chocolate milk has been rumored to be one of the best recovery drinks for all outperforming athletes. To a typical grown male, ...
Thanksgiving has always been a big deal in my house, but the even bigger deal was my Grandma’s famous pumpkin rolls. My Grandma would spend weeks making tons of them. It seems like she gives one to everyone she knows and still has extras to store in the freezer. So obviously when I had the opportunity of helping her make them I could not be happier. [If you do not know what a pumpkin roll is: it is a pumpkin sheet cake that is frosted with cream cheese and then rolled up, thu...
November. November means Thanksgiving, family, and most importantly turkey. The great bird seems to receive all the recognition while other foods are forgotten. However, in my house, fish continues to be the highlight of the holidays. Every year for as long as I can remember, my parents have hosted the big Greek Thanksgiving. Aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins, and loved ones come from neighboring states to enjoy a meal in our house. And every year, my...
Food For Thought: Thanksgiving Day Dinner The aroma of freshly cooked turkey fills the bleak kitchen air as the family settles in their seats. The day is finally here. The day that we all wait for year around, the day that lets us eat as much as we want without having to feel remorseful about it later on. This is day is Thanksgivings Day. Arguably the best holiday of the year, because of the many different flavors of food which are rushed around table and into everyone’s...
The sweet and savory aroma of my grandfather’s secret recipe for meatballs fills the air every Thanksgiving and Christmas. The holiday season in my family is more of a food and music festival than anything else. Christmas music echoing throughout the house constantly, followed by the titillating scents of either the Thanksgiving turkey and veal, lobster and shrimp on Christmas eve, the pork roast on Christmas day, or, especially on all three of these days, the mouthwatering s...
On many occasions we relate holidays to food. We usually have that traditional meal in store when we gather around the table to celebrate. Part of the celebration is consuming the food and enjoying it with family. Even after the main course we eat more food in the form of dessert. Dessert just so happens to be my favorite, especially when I am having it at Gram and Papa’s house. Gram and Papa are my mother’s parents, and Gram is the best cook in all of Greater C...
Food for Thought: Texas to Poland Food is not only an iconic symbol of where you are from and your culture, but also has a place in every family. Different times of the year dictate what foods you eat. For example, in the winter and around the holidays you tend of feast on turkey, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie. While in the summer you tend to lean towards more hot dogs, hamburgers, and foods you can cook on the grill. Food just doesn’t fill you up and taste delic...
When I think of food, the first thing that comes to my mind is either pasta, or chicken. These two come to my mind first because they are the traditional meal that is always cooked in my house. My grandma makes homemade pasta with homemade sauce and noodles. That is my all-time favorite meal because no one can make it like she does. Sometimes, she even makes it specifically for me. There has been many different ways of cooking chicken done in our kitchen. Whether it’s in a st...
When I think of an important food story I always come back to the same one. It's not a moment where the food is the most important item on the agenda, but a moment where the meaning is stronger. This moment I'm talking about is my sunday evening roasts, where my whole family would assemble as one to cook a meal that we would all enjoy. We have done it so frequently now that it almost has become a ritual now and whilst the food is always good, it's the thought of this event wh...
Have you ever tasted something so magnificent that you wanted to keep eating it for the rest of the day? I have experienced a taste incomparable to any other taste when the holidays come around. My aunt Sandy cooks the best food I have ever tasted. She will spend hours on end all day just to make sure everyone enjoys every bite they take. During Christmas Eve we have this special tradition. We will go to church, eat dinner and then open presents under the tree. My aunt w...
The state cross country championships; one of the most thrilling and nerve-racking experiences I have ever had. All season we trained to be the best with dreams of a first place trophy come the pinnacle of the fall. It became tradition on our team to meet the morning of the state meet at our coach’s house and have breakfast together. Breakfast always brought us all together for the biggest race of the year to reminisce on our season together and prepare us to be champions,...
Although growing up in a Portuguese family in a new country and environment had its hardships of adapting and trying to live a stable life and get back on our feet, it absolutely had its positives in the way that we still claimed our homeland near and dear to our hearts. Everyone on the community knew we were Portuguese not only by the huge Portuguese flag that would hang outside our house, but by the sweet smell that would sneak through the windows and doors out on the stre...
Food for Thought: Chinese for Breakfast? If I were asked, “What food would you eat every day for the rest of your life?” Dim Sum would be the food of choice. I could eat this particular meal for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but this meal oddly tastes so much better on a Sunday morning. Some people may think that Chinese food for breakfast is a gross or a taboo thing to consume. My only response would be, “Then you’ve obviously never had Silver Pond’s dim sum.” I gr...
Food For Thought; Giving Thanks Thanksgiving is my favorite time, primarily because it means I get to spend some low-key quality time with my family. But, how could I not love the food aspect of it? Waking up at nine o’clock in the morning and breathing in the turkey aroma mixed with that of gravy and mashed potatoes and maybe even some stuffing. All these smells make me smile because I know that shortly they will be in my mouth. I love food all the way from chips to mash...
“Welcome to yet another light-speed, non-stop food shop. Please give us your hard- earned, well-deserved commodity cash and we’ll give you this overly-processed, undercooked mystery meat. Bon appetit!” This is all I hear at every drive-thru, at all the restaurants. Gone is the age of quality it seems; now the rise of mass produced food is upon us and the fall of the culinary arts is nigh! Forgive me, I sound like Yoda on caffeine high. It may sound crazy, but all of t...
The first thing that comes to mind when someone brings up food is Chipotle Mexican Grill. Chipotle is a restaurant that my friends and I from home go to every Friday for lunch, so I guess you could say we made it a tradition. I don’t quite remember how the tradition started but it’s a tasty occasion where we all can reconnect. I knew that once I came to college we wouldn’t be able to carry on the tradition because we all are so far away from each other. I didn’t what those t...
This past October my family and I recently went out to dinner to celebrate the 60th anniversary of my grandparents. We are a big Italian family, so we went out to an Italian restaurant called Maggiano’s. We usually try to go to this restaurant once a year. but this time it was for a special occasion. Even though this dinner was to celebrate my grandparents, they still insisted on doing all the planning. They picked the restaurant and the courses, and they invited everyo...
In my family, food is everything. There is no celebration with out food and if you come to my Oma’s house there is no possible way that you will leave hungry. Food brings all of us together and makes everyone happy. One of my greatest memories involves making food. I remember I was in the tiny kitchen at my Oma’s house and she had me up on a stool cracking eggs. She said to be very careful with the shells because if one got in the batter then you would have a very unhappy ge...
Food For Thought; Food-sick Moving from New Jersey to Florida to continue my schooling at the University of Tampa has made me miss food as much as I miss my family. Tampa has delicious food overall, the cafes lining the downtown are cute as a button and have mouth watering pastries that I eat way to often. Plus, the food on campus is better than I thought, which is making me gain a few of the freshmen 15. However, where is...
Holidays are always big days for my family. It is the one time that we actually have a reason to sit around the table and stuff our faces with food. It is also usually the time of the season that we are up at 6 in the morning starting to prepare the food that we are making for seven in the evening. Yes, we do take an extremely long time to make our food but it is some of the best food that I have ever tasted. We usually make so much food that we eat left overs for the next we...
Relaxation is a state extremely hard for many to reach. Some people run to destress, some smoke, some write. I cook. There’s a feeling unlike any other when standing in the kitchen with a bunch of ingredients, knowing you’re able to make something completely different and delicious. While cooking, instructions and recipes can be followed for those times where you would rather turn your brain off, and, for the times when you need nothing but to let your brain run free...
Food for thought: Foods with memoriesJamie MatoThanksgiving is a holiday known for bringing family and traditions together to eat good food and enjoy each other’s company. I have family who are blood related and then those who we take into our home and bring into our family. Our family whom we met through the fresh air fund is from Albania and brings their own traditions and culture when then arrive for our thanksgiving dinner. The mom makes a bunch of food most of which I’...
Food For Thought: GMO’s Across AmericaFood is an essential to everyday life for everyone. It comes in various ways and can be consumed in thousands of different ways. In contrast, not everyone knows exactly what they are eating. Labels are deceiving and reflect a false perception on food we eat each day. Genetically modified foods are being seen all over the country. It is becoming an epidemic yet millions are completely unware they even exist. They are not natural and c...
I am fortunate to experience the thanksgiving I do. Growing up on a farm in Vermont I was always extremely careful about the food I ate. Everything on my plate was always organic, it came right from our back yard. Even the turkey, my dad would start raising at the beginning of the summer just so we could cook our own. My favorite part of the holiday would be when everyones just getting ready to eat. I loved seeing all the food displayed out, but what I enjoyed even more wa...
Every year there is the high excitement, from at least myself, starting after Halloween rolls around to November, 26. This date, more importantly than anything else is the date of my birthday. I eagerly await its arrival each and every year and cherish in the short twenty-four hour day, after it finally comes. This year my birthday means even more to, for it is the first day in over three months that I will get to spend with all four of my siblings and my parents. Most peo...