Writing Community for College Students

International blog for college students on StageofLife.comShare Your College Story.  Enter Writing Contest.  More...

Stage of Life® is a writing community designed for college bloggers.  Get involved with our writing mission by sharing your life experiences, entering our writing contests for college students, explore our goal setting resources, and review our college blogs about entertainment, statistics about college students, teen trend reports and more.  Wherever you are in college, whether you're a freshman or a senior, we look forward to reading your essays about your college experiences, fears, challenges, and triumphs.  Starting writing today...

Enter StageofLife.com college writing contest Twitter writing contest on StageofLife.com Discounts and coupons for college students on StageofLife.com
Enter the national writing contest for college students: Jan. 2014

"Unsung Hero"

Don't have a lot of time to write?
Enter our "Short Short Story" monthly Twitter writing contest.

College Student Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com

Save up to 20% on Lenovo, 25% at PapaJohns.com, and more!
Papa John's discount code for college students     Lenovo computer discount for college students

Essay Winners

Recent Teen Writing Contest Winners

Teen Blogging WinnersWinning Teen EssayBefore you scroll down to read the essays being submitted by our teen writers and bloggers, let's celebrate the recent essay winners.  If you want to see if your essay was a finalist - check out our monthly teen trend report summary for each writing contest.

Teen Writing Contest Details

Read College Stories

Every college student faces and has to get through a challenging and daunting process, such as essay writing. No doubt, everybody who has finished an essay knows for sure that feeling of job-satisfaction and relief. You spend so many hours, trying to find necessary information, plan the structure of the paper, organize the ideas, reflecting on a thesis statement and arguments, and finally you have the draft. In the ecstasy of joy that you have written the document, you may ...
His name appears in some books, perhaps the classroom. Yet, it’s like a burning star behind an opaque cloud. Not many people look up, and those who do can’t see him. But without a doubt- Vasili Arkhipov was a hero. An unsung hero, whose name was lost. He was Soviet Union submariner. He saved the world. He did so during the Cuban Missile Crisis, thirteen days of the Cold War when the future of the world wavered. The Soviet Union, Cuba and the United States held...
Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman... They were never around when I was in trouble or needed help. The last time I checked they were superheroes, so where were they? Too busy saving the world? Well, they are not doing a good job at it either. The world is still a mess. They were not my heroes though they are called like that. So, maybe, I didn’t have a hero. At least I thought for a while that I didn’t have one. Then day by day, I realized all these people around me were doing so...
Sometime in our life,we come across a person who changes our view towards life and become our inspiration.. A hero is that person who always inspires us, motivates us,encourage us and always been there as our silent support, on whom we can rely upon when required..Though for world they are not known but for someone they are there real heroes. For me my real hero is " MY DAD". I still remember that day when I was in my high school and was living in hostel. Just three m...
Birney Elementary school like every other public schools. Students get in trouble and get detentions. Bullying happens all around the school. Student get into fights with one and another. The chance of stopping a fight or bullying is rarely because teachers or adults don't see it. Some students just didn't care if bullying happens or scared of telling to an adult. Now that has changed since someone took a stand. I have just moved from the Philippines to United States i...
We do not realize that our best friends are quite possibly the most important people in our lives. Best friends play many roles in our lives. My best friend acts as my mother when she tells me to turn off the television and do my homework, or how miserable I make myself by continuing to peruse an unhealthy relationship. My best friend is my rock when I have troubles that involve my ever growing distance from my family members. My best friend is the person who in an instant...
Among all the lessons I have learnt in my 19 years on this green planet, it is hardly surprising that the most important of them was taught by a teacher. Today, I want to share this lesson with you and hope that it helps you in your life.So this is my story. One fine day, while sitting idle in the class, Mam handed me a few notebooks which were to be distributed among the seventh grade students. I went. But my brain stayed back in the class, still idle. As a result, the ...
Do not mock the man on the street in the too-long overalls; had the situation been different, his inner worth may have surprised you. Never judge anyone whose heart you have not thoroughly understood. For hidden amongst your family and friends, hidden within those strangers on the street, heroes live. They are waiting. Tragedy is when the heroes are revealed within those you may have thought of as only average. I met a hero once. She was a woman, fifty something years ol...
Have I ever performed a random act of kindness? This question, simple as it may sound had me racking my brain for such an act. Some might consider a simple act of holding the door open a random act of kindness but for me, I see it as rather a common curtesy really. No, I had to dig a little deeper. Or perhaps helping a stranger pick up her dropped groceries could also be considered an act of kindness. Random though? Not so much. So deeper still.And then I remembered...
Kindness is a quality that is fading away nowadays, we witness on the contrary the arise of cold hearted generations that start from childhood. Kindness for me is an act of duty. In my opinion, if you are blessed enough to get what you want or need and sometimes more, then you should share your happiness with the less fortunate. Random acts of kindness are pretty much the rituals of my community and closely my surroundings. From the beginning of the day with the most ...
Many people tell me that their childhood was the happiest time of their lives, that they had a happy and carefree existence. But, that was not true for me, at least between the ages of 12 to 14. I was passing through an angst filled pre-teen stage, what I now call as "my dark days of gloom". I am an only child and I was practically ignored by my parents because in their never-ending quest of money-making, they used to work ungodly hours. I was friendless, a loner at school...
It was a very typical day for me....typical as in a hectic college time table, internship and traveling in the scorching heat of the ever humid city of Mumbai. For transportation, I mostly used the public transport. The public buses in Mumbai are indeed its heart and soul along with the famous local trains. Since, the distance from the internship office to my home was not much as to be traversed by a train, I opted for buses. Now on this random day, I am waiting at the bu...
I don’t consider myself judgmental. Five foot three, tan skinned and a dot on my forehead, I was only too used to the curious stares and the blank glares that would follow me: American-Indian or Indian-American. Who was I, myself an anomaly, to judge others? At least, I didn't label myself so until a rainy day two weeks ago. It was in the midst of a thunder storm that I found my umbrella to be broken, with two of its stitches ripped. As I hurried into my dorm building wit...
I learned to wrap presents when I was five. Growing up, my church would have a Christmas tree in the foyer. This tree was decorated with ornaments that held the names and ages of children whose families could not afford gifts. My brothers and I would each pick a name. My mother meticulously wrote down the names of every child on a small notepad. That same day she would take us to Toys ‘R’ Us and we would go down the list, picking out gifts specifically for each chi...
A random act of kindness. When was the last time you did one? Put your hand over your heart and answer this. Did you know Random Acts of Kindness Day is an unofficial holiday celebrated each year on February 17th to make people aware of the goodness in the world? To be honest, I had no idea there was a day dedicated to random acts of kindness till today. I was not even sure anyone would help a complete stranger without anything in return. This phrase was completely new to m...
I was sent out to buy some toliet roll for my work on a rainy day. In the shop there was a man who appeared to have just moved house. This was obvious due to the mass amount of cleaning products he had bought - his trolley was overflowing! As I paid for my items I saw him struggle down to the shop door and there was clearly no way he could transport it all alone. As I walked past him I cast him a smile and walked out of the ship awkwardly with my big bag. I then made a sharp ...
I not able to review any of my own demonstrations of a kind act, will impart a little activity by a sweet vender of our settlement. We have constantly given cash, books, garments and so forth unequivocally once in a year or possibly twice. In any case what I saw was heart touching and worth appreciation. It is about Mr. Kapoor, a working class sweet merchant, holder of a little shop toward the end of the street that wandered to our spot. I happened to visit his shop on an occ...
As God cannot be everywhere so he sent his angel in the form of our 'Mother' to be with us, love us and care for us the same way as God loves his children.Our day begins with a call "Mother" , and there she is-ready with what we want. She cares even for the smallest thing of ours. Her role in our lives is just like the role of oxygen for in existance. As we cannot think of our survival in absence of oxygen, the same way absence of our mother would leave us helpless.But un...
We were only in class for fifteen minutes when I looked to my right and saw a guy sitting by the wall alone. He was your average guy: tall, nineteen, brown hair and eyes, jeans and a shirt. He was sitting alone, three chairs away from a small group of students sitting in the same row with him talking and laughing at each other. I had the aisle seat and though I should have been listening to my professor as she talked about the poverty line in the United States and what ethnic...
We all must have heard the saying that " helping someone is more valuable than joining hand in front of the God".. Helping someone gives us happiness and we feel more at peace..Well in my story I was the one who was at the receiving end of the kindness..At that time I was in my high school when that incident took place.. It's still fresh in my mind as if it happened just yesterday.. At that time I was staying in the hostel because of my coaching classes..It was one fin...
My semester abroad in Rome, Italy was nearing its end. My bank account was evidence enough. I was almost completely out of the babysitting money I had saved up for months. I felt “unlucky” when my friends embarked on a final weekend trip to Paris while I stayed back in Rome, unable to fund a final trip to another country. Looking back now, I laugh at the idea of an extra weekend in Rome, “the eternal city,” being a bad thing. With a few friends who had also remaine...
I am sending my writing submission for: {Random Acts of Kindness, Due date is December 31, 2014By: RebeccaEmail:queton12@yahoo.com}The spirit of kindness is drenched in acts of endearing words, generosity, heartfelt expressions. It is the human touch of benevolence that conjoins us to our fellow man. 1st Corinthians 13 instructs us that we can have the gift of performing tasks and have knowledge of mysteries, but (if we do not have L O V E ), that last commandm...
“RANDOM ACT OF KINDNESS: GOODWILL OF AN UNFAMILIAR FAMILY” My family and I chalked out a programme to spend a day in the village (sakhro) of my father’s friend. The anxiously awaited day brought feverish activity with it. We were in a mood to enjoy ourselves as much as possible. The sight of the village was full of grandeur and splendour. The light drizzle from the silvery clouds, the cool breeze and the blooming flowers had magical effect on us. That was rea...
Brielle ClaytonIB English A1/ HlMr. Helle 10 December 2014 Random Acts of Kindness: How I Received My First Job As being a teenager in the 21st century, having a job by sixteen or seventeen is expected from you. However, finding a job is not easy. By still being in high school, you constantly get kicked to the curb by college students. I was fortunate enough to be handed a job that you normally would not see a high school...
As many ways as this will be viewed, I in my own personal stance saw this as an act of kindness. I was newly 19 at the time and my cousin to whom I used to be close with was going through a hard time. I knew she was in an abusive relationship but there's only so much I could say. One day while I was away at school she called me crying because she was pregnant with this awful man. She had always been very religious but even she knew that this baby wouldn't have been able to es...
Let’s be honest: searching for a job is a stressful process. Every person seeks stability which is impossible for someone who goes to bed without a clear plan for the next day. Of course, there are individuals who enjoy meeting new people and learning new things daily but there are other numerous drawbacks to get stressed about. You may be discouraged after losing your previous job. You may be tired after countless unavailing interviews. You may be overwhelmed if this is your...
It was nine at night and the cozy library in Boulder Colorado was about to close. I was there to pick out a book for my ten year old brother, Caleb, to read, a book that wasn’t there. I couldn’t go home empty handed so I grabbed the first interesting cover I saw. The cover had a drawing of a young boy standing in the ocean holding a lightning bolt in his hands and I hoped Caleb wouldn’t think it was cheesy. I flipped through the first few pages and could tell by the looks of ...
Here are some advices for you to get success in this deal. Hope it will be useful!Get a reviewIt is very important for every writer not to rush. You should not ask any editor to work with your manuscript until you have not reviewed it with a fresh eye. Also, you can ask for help one or even two of your objective friends or colleagues to do th...
When you are a mostly-white, middle class, twenty-something, American college student, they tell you that the world is yours. Pumped full of my own propaganda, I fully subscribed to the belief that I was not only going to change the world. but that I was destined to change the world. It practically owed me. It did not. Yes, I worked hard in school. But did that merit special money, special classes, special room and board? Should performing to the sta...
“It was very pleasant to savor its aroma, for smells have the power to evoke the past, bringing back sounds and even other smells that have no match in the present.” – Laura Esquivel This quote is found in Laura Esquivel’s Like Water for Chocolate during a moment in which the aroma of a familiar dish is able to remind the protagonist of her lost identity, and, ultimately, heal her broken spirit. Esquivel’s novel centers around the kitchen, and the power it has to b...