Welcome Educators, Teachers, and Parents

Free Writing Resources for Students

The below Stage of Life teen writing contests, teen trend reports, etiquette Q&A, and teacher resources have been mentioned by...

With over half a million teachers, professors, teens, college students, and parents visiting StageofLife.com each school year, we make it a priority to create the best free writing resources for students and teachers.  We are a grassroots writing initiative founded with a mission to get people of all ages writing, and in particular encouraging students to write outside of the classroom...

Teen Writing Contest

National Student Writing Contests

• Encourage your students to enter our free, monthly national writing contest for high school students and college students.
  • Our essay winners have received mentions by the media including TIME.com, Mint Education, and more.
  • Essay contest topics deal with real-world issues.
  • Great practice for AP Test, SAT test, college essay writing, and more.
  • View Details, Summaries and more About Our Writing Contests
  • View Current Writing Contest

Enter Teen Writing Contest
  Contact Us with questions about our writing contests

Short Short Story writing contest on StageofLife.com and Twitter 

"Short Short Story" Writing Contest - Twitter

• Don't have time to write a 500 word essay?  How creative can your students be in 127 characters?  StageofLife.com hosts a monthly writing contest on Twitter with real prizes each month.
  • Have your students take 5 minutes and try their best at this creative, but frustrating, writing contest exercise.
Enter Twitter Writing Contest on StageofLife.com

Word of the Day - Vocab Exercise

Word of the Day

• We featured a new vocab word each day
  • Use our Word of the Day as inspiration for a personal essay or blog post on StageofLife.com
  • Teachers and educators can integrate the vocabulary in their classroom activities or ask the students to use the word in a free-write activity.
StageofLife.com's word of the day

Classroom writing exercises and ideas

Notes to the Teacher

Notes to the Teacher - Writing Exercises

Homeschool Writing Resources

Homeschooling Writing Resources

• Our writing resources are great for the classroom, but if you're a homeschooling student or parent, check out our free, homeschooling writing resources.
  • Writing contests, educational resources, and homeschooling resources are updated here...
Homeschooling Writing Resources

Free classroom poster

Classroom Poster

• We've created a 18" x 12" color poster for high school or college classrooms.
  • We only charge for the shipping fee
  • We've sent out over 500 posters to Language Arts, Creative Writing, and English Teachers!
Get free writing poster for your classroom

Print mini-poster now
Questions about our poster?

Introduction to Blogging Lesson Plans

Introduction to Student Blogging

• Get the 101 on blogging
  • Digital literacy - why blogging is important for the classroom
  • Our Blogging Lesson Plans include activities such as...
    1. Blogging Basics lesson plan
    2. Values & Beliefs lesson plan
    3. Reflection & Wisdom lesson plan
    4. Life stage interview lesson plan
    5. Food, Health & Writing lesson plan
    6. Heroes lesson plan
    7. Teen stress lesson plan
Blogging lesson plans on StageofLife.com
  Print blogging lesson plans Print Blogging Lesson Plans
Contact Us about our Student Blogging Resources

Mentor Texts and Essay Examples

Mentor Texts

• Use our past student winners as good examples of essay writing, i.e. Mentor Texts
  • Our teen writing winners provide excellent essay examples of authentic voice and utilizing a stylistic point of view
  • Read past writing contest winners and finalists by visiting our Teen Trends reports
  • View Mentor Texts
Examples of good essay writing -- mentor texts
  Print Mentor Texts  Print Mentor Texts
  Contact Us with questions about our mentor texts

Teen Trends 

Teen Trend Reports

• Over 400,000 teenagers, college students, and teachers visit StageofLife.com each year to either read or submit an essay.
  • Because of these visits, we are able to pull together full teen trend reports from our national writing contests and survey results on topics ranging from sports to politics to nature to bullying and more.
  • You'll also find in each report links to the relevant student essays, all grouped by topic.
  • View Teen Trends

View StageofLife.com Teen Trend Reports
  Contact Us for more information about our monthly teen trend reports

Teen Writing Workshops

Writing Conferences and Workshops for Teenagers

Teen writing conferences and workshops
Contact Us to add your Writing Conferences or Workshop to our list

Essay Writing Prompts

Writing Prompts

• Are you looking for ideas on though-provoking writing prompts for your Creative Writing, English or Language Arts classes?
  • We have scores of writing prompts that deal with real-world issues important to teens
  • Each prompt came from one of the previous Stage of Life national student essay contests
  • Mentor texts, lesson plans and summary pages are provided as appropriate
  • View Writing Prompts
Ideas for writing prompts
  Print Writing Prompts  Print Writing Prompts   Contact Us to submit writing prompts

Library Resources on StageofLife.com 

Library Resources

• As a free literacy initiative, Stage of Life features blogs, articles, statistics, trends, resources and information about libraries
  • View our Library Resources
   Library Resources on StageofLife.com Contact Stage of Life Contact Us about our Library Resources

Common Core State Standards

English and Language Arts Common Core State Standards

• Stage of Life mapped its digital literacy activities to the Common Core State Standards
  • Get ideas on how Stage of Life fits many of the Language Arts State Standards, both for those states using the Common Core State Standards and those using their own.
  • View the Stage of Life and Language Arts State Standards Mapping

Common Core mapping on StageofLife.com Contact Stage of Life Contact Us about our Common Core and State Standards mapping

New Journalism - Use Blogging to Conduct Interviews 

Interviews - Students Use Blogging as Form of New Journalism

• Interviewing a professor or teacher, celebrity, band, government official, or really anyone for that matter, is a great way for students to use blogging to explore "new journalism" formats and techniques
  • View our blog interview example
Example of Blog Interview - StageofLife.com

How Would Teens Improve Education

How Would Students Improve Education?

How would teens improve education?
  Print Free Goal Setting Worksheet  Print Teens and Education press release   Contact Us with comments about how students can improve their schools

Student goal setting

Goal Setting Worksheet

• Help your students set goals
  • Our Stage of Life Goal Setting Worksheet can be used as an in-class activity or as a take-home assignment
  • Educators are encouraged to use it themselves as a personal or professional tool too
  • View Goal Setting Worksheet
Goal setting worksheet
  Print Free Goal Setting WorksheetPrint Goal Setting Worksheet
  Contact Us with questions about our free goal setting worksheet

Teacher Appreciation

Teacher Appreciation

• View over 180 positive essays written by teens about their teachers
  • Read the five positive relationship benefits good teachers bring to their students
  • Get the latest trends on teens and how they communicate
  • View Teacher Appreciation page
Teacher Appreciation
  How do teens communicate? Print Teen Communication Trends
  Contact Us about our Teacher Appreciation efforts

Teens Making the World a Better Place

• Utilize our "Making the World a Better Place" writing prompt to get students thinking and writing about how they can change the world and make a difference
  • Read past student essays about making the world a better place
  • Ask your class to explore the list of student-nominated, "making a difference" organizations by our teen bloggers and writers - maybe they have their own cause to add to the list?
  • View Making the World a Better Place
Making the world a better place on StageofLife.com
  Be The Change lessonPrint press release
  Contact Us with questions about our Making the World a Better Place initiative

Inspirational Videos

• Watch our collection of inspirational videos sourced from YouTube
  • After watching the videos, ask your students blog on StageofLife.com about how they intend to change the world or be a positive change in the world.
  • View Inspirational Videos

Inspirational videos for teachers to use in the classroom
  Contact Us with an inspirational video for teens or teachers

Digital Literacy

Digital Literacy - Using Blogs in the Classroom

• Hear from our panel of experts who use blogging in the classroom
  • Get tips on how to increase your students' digital literacy by incorporating technology into the classroom
  • View Digital Literacy experts
  • View latest trends on Teen Communication

Digital Literacy
  Contact Us about Digital Literacy

Health effects of writing

Health and Writing

• Read about the positive health effects of blogging and writing
  • Help your students reduce teen stress through journaling, blogging or writing
  • View Writing is Healthy

Writing is healthy
  Contact Us to add resources about how writing is healthy

Why Educators Use Stage of Life®

• Six Reasons Educators Use StageofLife.com in the Classroom...
    1. Free
    2. Unlimited essay storage
    3. Interactive blog platform
    4. It's about the writing
    5. Customized for teachers
    6. Real World writing prompts
  • View our Educational Resources Overview
Six reasons to use StageofLife.com

Authors & Celebrities 

• Authors and Celebrities share their stories with Stage of Life regarding advice for teen writers
    • Susan Woolridge, author of Poemcrazy
    • Michael Patrick Walker, songwriter and co-author of "Alter Boyz"
    • James Kristofic, author of Navajos Wear Nikes: A Reservation Life

Writers and Poets on StageofLife.com  Contact Us if you know an author or celebrity who has writing advice for teens

Susan Wooldridge

Poem Writing Tips

• Tips for writing poetry from author of Poemcrazy, Susan Wooldridge
  • View Poem Writing Tips

Poem writing tips from StageofLife.com
 Contact Us to add poem writing resources

Education partnerships 

Education Resource Partners

Stage of Life has been fortunate to either work directly with or referenced by influencial organizations, schools, non-profits and programs who see a value in our mission to improve digital literacy and have a like-minded mission to support students, teachers and educational initiatives.

A few examples of our educational partnerships or features...
  • NCTE - Stage of Life was an exhibitor at the 2013 NCTE Annual Convention in Boston.  Hundreds of high school Language Arts teachers and college English professors stopped by to meet our VP of Education, Rebecca Thiegs, and pick up our classroom writing contest poster.
  • Teach.com - inspirational resource for anyone currently teaching or thinking about becoming a teacher.  Our very own Stage of Life education consultant, Rebecca, was featured on the Teach.com blog.
  • Mint Education - helping teach students about financial literacy.  Mint featured several of our Stage of Life student blogs about money.
  • Lancaster Museum of Art - Stage of Life CEO, Eric Thiegs, was invited by the LMAPA to present a seminar to teens on the power of writing and artistic collaboration.
  • Tech.IT.U - Stage of Life CEO, Eric Thiegs, was a featured speaker on "the Benefits of Teen Blogging" at the Penn State York sponsored Tech.It.U conference.
  • PCTELA - "Voices of Literacy" Conference - Stage of Life co-Founders, Eric & Rebecca Thiegs, were featured session speakers on "Extending Writing Outside the Classroom Through Blogging" at the 2012 PCTELA conference (Pennsylvania Council of Teachers for English and Language Arts).

Coupons for Teachers

Up to 50% Off Discounts for Teachers

Because of the generous support of our national education sponsors, our Stage of Life members can save up to 50% off at many top brands and retailers.  Check out Stage of Life's free My Life Rewards® program to find great coupons and discounts for teachers to save money inside the classroom and out!

Discounts and coupons for teachers  Contact Us about our discounts and coupons for teachers

Contact UsPlease check back often: these pages are regularly updated with new material and ideas.  Our door at Stage of Life is always open: if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, feel free to contact us!

Our Education Community

Educational consulting at StageofLife.com

Educational Consulting

StageofLife.com founders, Eric & Rebecca Thiegs, consult and guest speak regularly on educational topics ranging from teen blogging, blogging as a research process for term papers, getting writing outside of the classroom, teen trends and more.  Below is a short list of some of the educational conferences, partnerships, and consulting projects involving teen blogging, digital literacy, and other educational initiatives.

Educational Consulting Projects and Guest Speaking:

NCTE Convention logo NCTE Exhibitor: 
NCTE logoIn November 2013, StageofLife.com was an exhibitor at the NCTE (National Council of Teachers of English) annual convention in Boston.  Hundreds of Language Arts teachers stopped by the StageofLife.com booth to pick up a classroom poster feature our writing contests and talk with Stage of Life's VP of Education and Co-Founder, Rebecca Thiegs.

Junior Achivement of South Central PA Junior Achievement of South Central PA: 
StageofLife.com built a customized, educational blogging platform for Junior Achievement of South Central PA's BizTown program to help bridge the gap between traditional media formats (newspapers or newsletters) and new-media channels (blogs).

View National Press Release on JA Student News Blog

Download and view the education news blog project scope via PDF

StageofLife.com presents at PCTELA conference
PCTELA - Guest Speakers: 
In October 2012, Eric & Rebecca were session presenters at the 2012 annual conference for Pennsylvania Council of Teachers of English and Language Arts, "Voices of Literacy: A Celebration of Reading of Writing."  They presented a 60 minute session called "Expanding Digital Literacy Through Teen Blogging."

StageofLife.com presents at TECH.IT.U TECH.IT.U - Guest Speaker: 
In July 2012, StageofLife.com CEO, Eric Thiegs, presented to a group of 60+ educators about the trends in teen blogging at the 2012 TECH.IT.U Education Conference.

Blogging as a research tool presented by Rebecca Thiegs to CAWP Capital Area Writing Project - Guest Speaker and Trend Setting: 
In July 2012, As a newly recognized National Writing Project Teaching Fellow, StageofLife.com co-Founder, Rebecca Thiegs, presented her "Be the Change" Research Project to The Capital Area Writing Project group in the summer of 2012.  She outlined the process for how high school teachers can embrace blogging as a replacement or supplement to traditional research methods.  The results of doing so have students producing higher quality term papers and research assignments with deeper analysis presented in a more creative voice.

StageofLife.com as guest speaker for Lancaster Museum of Art teen writing session

StageofLife.com as guest speaker at Lancaster Public Library on teen writing
Lancaster Museum of Art & Lancaster Public Library - Featured Presenter: 
In March 2012, As part of the regional competition for the national Scholastic Art & Writing Awards, Stage of Life's CEO, Eric Thiegs, was the featured presenter and led a two-hour session on the topic of collaboration between teen writers and teen artists.  The event was sponsored in partnership with the Lancaster Museum of Art and the Lancaster Public Library.

StageofLife.com CEO, Eric Thiegs, at PETE&C PETE&C Participation: 
In February 2012, StageofLife.com participated in PETE&C (The Pennsylvania Educational Technology Expo and Conference) to share its teen blogging educational resources with school district administrators and IT professionals.

StageofLife.com teen essays on Mint Education Mint.com Education Blog: 
StageofLife.com worked collaboratively with Mint.com, the financial literacy and resource company, to provide essays from Stage of Life teen bloggers sharing how teens feel about money.

ABC TV's LiveWell Network: 
StageofLife.com and its teen blogging emphasis is featured on TV program, "Mary Talks Money"

If you'd like to talk with Stage of Life about the opportunity of having either Eric or Rebecca (or both) speak, present or consult with your educational organization, please Contact Us

Six Educational Benefits for Teachers or Parents to Use StageofLife.com

StageofLife.com - Enhancing Digital Literacy

StageofLife.com CEO, Eric Thiegs, shares six quick benefits (in 2:00 minutes) for why educators are using StageofLife.com to enhance students' digital literacy skills by extending learning outside of the classroom, creating life-long learners, and encouraging students to write MORE...not less...through blogging, online writing contests and more.

NOTE:  There's a second video further down this page encouraging educational leaders to take advantage of free resource technology partners like StageofLife.com.

Advertiser

Coupons for Life - 5% to 50% Off

As an educational writing initiative, StageofLife.com is fortunate to have the support of hundreds of brands who support this writing community and our literacy mission.  Because of that, you can save 5% to 50% off with Stage of Life's free My Life Rewards® program. 

Get discounts at Target.com, Papa John's, Lenovo, AAMCO, and many more...
Discount at Target.com on StageofLife.com Discount on pizza at PapaJohns.com from StageofLife.com Lenovo discount from StageofLife.com AAMCO auto discount from StageofLife.com