Questions and Stories about Living On Your Own

Singles blog on StageofLife.comRead Stories About Being Single

Listed below is the compilation of the questions and stories that singles have shared on StageofLife.com.  Some of these essays were submitted as a response to our national writing contest for singles. Topics of these blog posts by singles range from dating, to money, to relationships, to health, and many more in between.

Share Your Story on StageofLife.comDo you have a dating story or experience about living on your own to share? Click the "Share Your Story" button to add your voice to StageofLife.com!

Read Living On Your Own Questions and Stories

Now Browsing: I Need a Change

Dear High Point:

It’s not you, it’s me.

Okay, actually, that’s a lie. It’s you. It’s definitely you. But let me explain.

We’ve had a good four years. I’ll never forget the time that my friends and I hung out in front of the school and colored the sidewalks with chalk… and later got called to the principal’s office for the same reason. I’ll never forget the legions of inside jokes with friends, finding my center in Room 215, or staying up half the night to get A

After many years of scholastic due diligence to reach this day, you now have choices solely at your discretion. Congratulations. Choose wisely. The future is an open highway filled with winding turns and many exits. It is up to you which exits to take or how long you wish to travel the highway. There are no guarantees you’ll reach your planned destination, but where you arrive is where you need to be. Often times, life will lead you somewhere not expected. Immerse yourself in the journ

Hi I'm Aly and I'm 19, I have schizophrenia,depression,bipolar, and borderline personality disorder. Yes I have all that. This is my story. I was in and out of hospitals since I was 14. I was hospitalized 10 times. I have really bad episodes where I cut myself scream and break things. I don't mean to but I do. I have been on every medication imaginable. I currently take 12 pills a day. No one knows how to help me. I am so tired of being a statistic. I am always scared and confused. I have trie

From the comfy chair in the Psychiatrist's office, I am often asked the common question, "How do you feel?". Ah, the proverbial question that prompts me to mentally scan my body for any and every physical symptom that could possibly pop into mind. That is until my mind reminds me that I am mentally ill and that technically I suppose I should be describing an emotion that matches the current thoughts in my head.
Being so accustomed to denial and disassociation, I really have to tak

I went through a phase in my life where I felt like what I had to say didn't matter. I lived in a hometown where people treated me like I was an alien for saying hello to them. When I talked to my family they acted like what I said didn't matter at all. Sometimes you have to leave your family, friends and negative people who bring you down to feel like you're important. You shouldn't think you are so important that you think or act like you are better than everyone. I worked from job to jo

As I was commuting by train on Tuesday, Feb 4, 2014, I picked up Metro Newspaper and as I was reading the paper I stumbled into a story about Fisherman Jose Salvador Albarengo, 37, originally from El Salvador, who had set sail on a shark fishing trip in his fibreglass boat in December 2012 from Mexico, 10,000km away, but was blown out to sea.
What was supposed to be a one-day fishing expedition if the fisherman wasn’t blown off course by the northern winds, ended up causing him to be 13 mo

Throughout history, the Juvenile Dependency Courts have gradually evolved to become the convoluted and destructive corner in the Superior Courts; at least, one has to believe that the Dependency/ Child Welfare Courts that now span nationwide, at first originated with the real and true Best Interests of the Child at heart. That is most certainly NOT what drives the Department of Family & Children’s Services today, despite the fact that this agency is only in existence as a means of executing and

Runaways have higher rates of depression, physical and sexual abuse, alcohol and drug problems, delinquency, school problems, and difficulties with peers than juveniles who do not run away.

Many runaways have been exposed to high levels of violence, either as victims or as witnesses.

Juveniles in substitute care (e.g., foster care, group homes) are more likely to run away than juveniles who live at home with a parent or guardian. The chances of juveniles in care running aw

Dasia K. Thompson
February 19, 2014

Olympic Spirit: The Guts and Glory
Wilma Rudolph once said “Never underestimate the power of dreams and the influence of the human spirit. We are all the same in this notion: The potential for greatness lives within each of us.” The greatness comes from you and yourself. All you need is your human spirit to influence your dreams and then greatness is found. The only thing that stops you from striving for your goal is the will power/sel

Dear mom, I don't think you understand. I don't even think I understand. My siblings, family, and I love you very much? Why can't you see? You've cut us out from your world. You show little signs of love, but it's not enough. you've stopped going to church, and people are asking where you've been. I'm scared mom. I'm afraid you'll leave us. You almost did because you and dad almost decided to leave each other, and you guys aren't as close as you guys were before. Please don't leave us. Please d

<<Prev  2 of 16    Next>>