Questions and Stories about Living On Your Own

Singles blog on StageofLife.comRead Stories About Being Single

Listed below is the compilation of the questions and stories that singles have shared on StageofLife.com.  Some of these essays were submitted as a response to our national writing contest for singles. Topics of these blog posts by singles range from dating, to money, to relationships, to health, and many more in between.

Share Your Story on StageofLife.comDo you have a dating story or experience about living on your own to share? Click the "Share Your Story" button to add your voice to StageofLife.com!

Read Living On Your Own Questions and Stories

Now Browsing: I Need a Change

“The Dark Ages”, or better known as sophomore year of college, due to the flea infested apartment I moved into, subsequent suing from our landlords, and arrest for underage drinking, all while I was nursing my shattered heart from a failed summer relationship. Despite the misfortunes, it was really my dark, negative energy that infested my outlook on life, jailed my optimism, and kept my heart jagged and jaded.

Finally, after wandering lamely in the darkness, desperately groping f

“Riiiiing!!!!!” the dismissal bell cries out. I go to the back door of the school to wait for my sister for five minutes. After she got there, we started to walk, but as we walked, people started saying “hi” and “bye” to the teacher. Twenty minutes later, we were more than half way from our house, until suddenly my sister looks at me and said, “Look Oscar, that blind man is trying to cross the street vroom!!!!” Cars were passing us like racing cars, and I looked back to my sister and asked, “Sh

When I think of today's Thanksgiving day, I think I have had the best Thanksgiving I have had in a really long time. Most of my Thanksgiving dinners of times past I have spent alone or with one other person. When I think of the idea of Thanksgiving, I think of family and friends getting together with a feast celebration. Not just one or two people getting together, but a group surrounding the Thanksgiving Day feast table. That has not been the case for me until today. I went for Thank

As I review my day of Halloween, I see how irritable I was. I was full of self-pity. I had moved to a different town in a different state. I am single and living in an apartment by myself thinking about how I need to get a new job. While in my apartment alone for only a few minutes, I allowed myself to drift into morbid reflection. Seems ludicrous considering the fact that I was always wishing for alone time. I allowed myself to get sad. I thought of the seemingly trite coping skills I h

Grace. It's something that's given to us on a daily basis, yet often times we take it for granted. There is a bible verse that says, "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God." Eph. 2:8
Well, some weeks ago I was reminded of how much we receive Gods gift of grace. Imagine my surprise when I found out on an ordinary Tuesday morning (around 6 or 7 a.m. to be exact) that I would undergo emergency open heart surgery. Just t

At the age of 11 I sat before a mirror for two hours repeatedly saying the word “ugly” until I knew I convinced myself I was.
Now being a freshman in high school you would think I would forget about such an insignificant act, but I cant. Its quite the opposite in fact. If a persons eyes drift over my childish face for a second too long, I wish to cry. I can not present a project with confidence or meet someone new without my face steadily metamorphosizing into a glowing red. I atte

It happened near the nonfiction stacks on the library’s second floor. I noticed her dawdling in my direction, casual, peeking through the aisles for an answer she didn’t seem too intent on finding. Her backpack straps stretched her blue blouse firm under the weight of what I imagined were books. I took her for a college student, likely a few years my junior. Our eyes met and she smiled, holding her gaze longer than the token greeting. She was cute. But I didn’t think much of it.

I’d

There are days (moments even) where I sit and zone out. The world around me becomes a swirling circus of noise. Chaotic? No, just the blurring of the ongoing life around me. From the swirls, everyone and everything becomes quiet. The bobbing thoughts in my brain take hold and create visions of where I want to be. Where do I want to be? I want to be in the solace of my studio theatre. The quietness of the orange walls in my office. The squeaking of the door alarming of a new arrival. T

Whenever you see someone for the first time, you notice their appearance. Whenever you see them often, you notice that they have scars and when you get to know them you feel their scars. Everyone has a story and they have the scars to prove it. Scars are like a book lying on the surface of a human, ready to be summarized and shown off to the world. The scars I have are invisible, They aren't on display, people don't see what my past did to me and this is where my story begins.

One Saturday, I celebrated a festival with my best friend. Since we had not seen each other for months, she invited me to spend the night with her. I was so excited! I sent a text message to my Mom to let them know that I was not coming back home that day, that I would sleep over at my best friend’s house.
Sadly, it was not okay for my father. He insisted that I spent the night at my brother’s house instead. Of course I disagreed with his idea.
But Dad did not consent. He said it w

<<Prev  2 of 18    Next>>