My Thoughts on Newton: Stop playing the blame game

Kryxny
In regards to the recent Sandy Hook tragedy, my views on guns laws/rights have not changed. We have been witnesses to violence time and time again. When a person chooses to go on a murderous rampage, we are all affected, whether it is indirectly or directly. We don’t have to lose someone to such a hideous crime to be able to understand what these families are going through. Nonetheless I believe in the United States Constitution, therefore I don’t believe a persons right to legally bear arms should be taken away from them. We will always have people who choose not to abide by the laws. Ratifying or abolishing the 2nd amendment is not going to fix the real problem. It isn’t going to resolve the issues being ignored that are the true reason history continues to repeat itself.

I recently came across a National Campaign to Stop Violence Survey. It listed the “top ten causes of violence in the order that children cited them”. The number one reason listed was “the media”. Did they choose the media because they honestly feel violence on television, music and video games turn a switch in people to become violent. Or did they blame the media because its what adults and organizations point the finger towards. Why did intolerance and ignorance get the last spot on the list? Arent most of the people who choose to go on a murderous rampages victims of bullying? Whether at school,work, home or a combination of all three. Rejected by society for whatever reason and being subject to years of cruelty at the hands of others. This kind of abuse is corrosive to an individual and can diminish a persons state of mental health. Causing them to lash out in ways that they wouldn’t otherwise choose when they are in good health.

Are people today desensitized to violence? Yes. Does that mean everyones first solution is to pick up a gun and kill. No. Does music evoke emotion? Yes. Does that mean violent music will cause me to lash out? No.We need to stop blaming the media for violent tragedies. Caused by people who are suffering from inner turmoil, people who are usually products of corrosive environments. Stop blaming gun laws. Lets talk about intolerance and ingnorance,lets talk about abuse. Lets talk about the inner demons. Lets talk about the skeletons that people keep hidden in closets and secrets being buried. The deafening silence of these issues are the real problem that everyone is consciously overlooking. Most of the time people turn the other cheek or choose denial rather than act on suspicions. Even when those suspicions are really ugly truths being revealed and displayed in plain sight. Because it is uncomfortable…because it is none of our business. Until it is too late and innocent blood is shed, only then does everyone decided to speak up and take action.
Comment by Suzanne

I am not as surprised as you to see that "media" topped the list of the top ten causes of violence, but I was disappointed that tolerance was at the bottom.

It seems that students, and people in general don't want to get involved in something they don't perceive to be their business. I am sure there are a lot of folks who look back now and wish they had intervened with the Sandy Hook shooter; his parents, teachers, church and social workers, even neighbors might have provided the support he needed to feel significant in the world. But, none of us feel that other people's problems are our responsibility. We have stopped "loving our neighbor."

You made the point clearly that this is a multi-dimensional issue that won't be solved with a single knee jerk reaction or trampling Constitutional rights. I don't have any more answers than you do regarding solutions, but I do know that teaching tolerance is a good place to start.

Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 1:26:53 PM
Comment by Kryxny

I appreciate you taking the time to read my post and share your thoughts Suzanne. I agree with the points you made in your response. I also feel that life skills,such as stress management techniques and how to effectively communicate should be introduced earlier.Most people learn these very valuable tools later in life,when entering the work force if their field offers brief courses on them. I dont believe a conscious effort to exercise these techniques in other aspects of our lives is utilized by most people.
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 4:13:22 AM

Enter National Writing ContestWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Writing Competitions for All Ages

September 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, answer this question:  "Who Do You Think You Are?"

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p