Social Stigmas: You're "too fat"

Kryxny
“Sticks and stones can break my bones but words….? Words can do all sorts of things... Whether or not we believe the words, they do their work.” ~H.H

“If I ever get so big that I take up 2 seats on mass transit, or have to sit sideways on the single seats….tell my fat greedy ass to stop eating…You so fat you only joined facebook because you heard they put cookies on your computer:...and You so fat you walked into the Gap and filled it”

There are fat jokes that stretch to the ends of the universe and back. There are ridiculous tenets about “fat” people that some accept as personal truths. Such as “you don’t have to layer up in the winter time, your blubber will keep you warm…if you’re fat that means you’re lazy…you don’t like exercise…you just like to sit at home and shovel junk down your throat all day…you don’t like to work….its okay to taunt a person about being overweight because if they don’t like it they will just lose it.” Etc

People aren’t excessively overweight because they consciously choose to do so. They don’t get up and say you know what Im going to make a load of bad choices because I really want to be 400, 700, 1000 pounds one day. So next time you find yourself bullying someone about their weight, or idly watch as someone else does so, ask yourself: What is lacking in my life that is causing me to victimize this person? If you are also sabotaging yourself and adding to the negativity. Take a minute to put yourself in check, silence your own unforgiving spirit; and stop being your own worst critic. It didn’t take five minutes or a week to gain whatever excess weight you may be carrying around. So a fad diet or unhealthy weight loss methods will not successfully keep the weight off.

[“You are bound to have lapses on the road to health and wellness, but it is critical that you learn how to handle small failures positively so that you can minimize long-term destructive effects. One setback is one setback...it is not the end of the world, nor is it the end of your journey toward a better you. ~ J.M ]

Ever feel “fat”? Do you really need to lose 3 lbs? 10 lbs? 20 lbs? more? Why? because you want to be “skinny”? or because you want to be fit? Did someone tell you that you had to lose weight? Are you afraid of your scale? Do you have negative thoughts about yourself after you get weighed? Do you weigh yourself? How often? Why or why not? Are you overweight? Have you ever taunted anyone about their weight? Why? Why did/does a persons “excess” weight bother you so much? Have you ever been bullied about your weight? How did it make you feel? Did you get over it? Are you an emotional eater? Do you find comfort in food? Are you addicted to food? Do you struggle with your weight? How so? Was your New Years resolution to “drop a few pounds”? How is that going? Did you start? Did you quit? Why? Have you ever been on a fad diet? Atkins? South beach? Lemonade diet? Cabbage soup diet? Apple cider vinegar diet? Fasted to lose weight? Starved yourself? Are you a binge eater? Have you ever purged? Have you ever been ashamed of others seeing you eat? Why? Are you a closet eater? If you eat Popeyes today…does that mean you cant eat for four days now? Why? Have you ever restricted your diet and then ended up binging on the foods/snacks you denied yourself? Have you ever been afflicted by an eating disorder? Ever walk in a room and feel really big? Do you allow negative perceptions of others influence how you feel about yourself? Are you beautiful? On the inside? On the outside? What about when you look in the mirror? What about when others are around? How do you think people perceive your physical appearance? Why is it important? Or why is it not important? Do you feel a persons weight dictates how aesthetically beautiful they are? Why or Why not?

Enter National Writing ContestWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

December 2015 Writing ContestDecember 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, share a story about a random act of kindness.  It can be a story about how you performed the act of kindness or one was done to you.

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter StageofLife.com writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p