My Thoughts On Newtown: Its the Gun Laws That are Flawed

groovychef
As a youth, I recall my Mother attending community college and writing a paper on gun control. I do not recall what she wrote in that paper but I do recall thinking that guns were never something I wanted in my own home.
As an adult and parent of three children, my view has not changed much.
What has changed is my view on who should have the right to legally own guns and the laws that govern gun ownership in our country.
Newtown, despite its sadness, has helped raise some very valid questions about the laws that regulate gun ownership, one of them being medical disclosure of mentally unstable individuals that apply for gun license or purchase guns.
I do not believe guns should be fully banned. I do think that better control of the licensing procedure will reduce the number of guns that land in the hands of people that are not mentally stable and run the risk of causing harm to others with those guns.
Currently, the law does not require the medical community to register any individual that has undergone medical treatment for personality disorders such as bi-polar or schizophrenia. This type of personality disorder causes the patient to make irrational decisions that can be both dangerous for themselves and others. At the same time, the licensing procedure for individuals to carry a gun does not look into the medical background as it is considered confidential.
Based on this standard, an individual that is on any type of antipsychotic drug to help relieve symptoms of personality disorders is not required to release this information to the licensing agency.
Historically, individuals responsible for larger mass gun incidents (IE Aurora) have not been required to register their illness. At the same time, there is no registry system that also holds individuals accountable for their guns if they share residence with an individual that takes these antipsychotics.
I agree that it is every Americans right to own a gun. However, all too often the constitutional right to own guns supersedes the safety factor of gun ownership. We need to balance this constitutional right with the rights of others to be safe. In my eyes, it is a fifty-fifty give and take.
Opening up some type of registry for the medical community will aid in allowing the licensing agency to see who is considered clinically unstable by medical standards. This will make it easier to regulate the number of potential gun owners that are at risk of misuse of a gun. This registry needs to extend to complete households; much like a census includes everyone in a residence and covers such information as family history of mental illness.
This type of registry may not prevent 100% of all future gun incidences but it will significantly reduce the number of guns that are falling into the hands of individuals that are not mentally stable.
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! Your essay has been chosen as the winner of our "Where do we go after the Newtown school shooting?" January writing contest for the On My Own life stage. We will be contacting you shortly via your provided email address with prize information.

We loved reading your essay and look forward to reading your future essays on StageofLife.com. Please continue to write for our contests!

-Nate DeRose
Writing Intern
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 6:33:44 PM
Comment by SOFLarchive

The Congress does need to work on gun control issues.
Posted: Sunday, March 3, 2013 9:30:16 PM

Enter National Writing ContestWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Writing Competitions for All Ages

September 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, answer this question:  "Who Do You Think You Are?"

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p