Are You Living Green Enough in Frisco?

iheartfrisco
http://www.iheartfris.co/2012/11/are-you-living-green-enough-in-frisco/ - Did you know that Frisco, Texas is a leader in green initiatives? Actually, Frisco, Texas is the first city in the U.S. to officially support and adopt the Energy Star building guidelines as its mandatory minimum standard for new home construction. This year marked the 11th anniversary since adoption.

What does that mean for you, my fellow Frisconian? Well, first of all its saving you about $436 a year and residents of Frisco roughly $45 million since 2001. Not too shabby, eh?

So how can you take this one step further? You’ve heard the pitch before, I’m sure. You know the one: watch your electricity usage, recycle, and use your car less (or get an electric car). Easier said than done? Maybe. Let’s break this down a little further for some easy to digest and easy to implement green living actions:

Take the Green Challenge: Frisco Green Living challenges you to try different green methods and then send them a quick note on how it went. The latest challenge? Go one week without getting a plastic bag while shopping. Take note of every time you are offered a bag and calculate how many you DIDN’T use.

Save Energy: Recharge Texas lays out the not so well known, but incredibly easy to follow energy saving tips. They also challenge some energy saving myths! Read through this once and you’ll be sure to change your habits – no extra energy required! Here’s a few that caught my eye:
A computer’s sleep mode is NOT okay for overnight – sleep mode still uses a significant amount of energy
Don’t peek in the oven! The temperature drops 25° F and requires additional energy to bring the it back up.
Refrigerators and freezers operate most efficiently when full. If nothing else, keeping them stocked with bottles of water will make a big difference!
Looking for a green makeover? A green lifestyle makeover that is. Follow these 10 Simple Steps for Green Living to transform your everyday. Including (but not limited to) how to create a simple personal air filtration using plants and how to plan and have a green wedding.

Like that fresh air your breathing? Good! Then you should think about going electric. The Nissan Leaf, Chevy Volt, and Toyota Prius Plug-In Hybrid all host the electric feature. Each offer slightly different options, but all will decrease your carbon footprint. Don’t let the myths and rumors of electric scare you off! And don’t forget to mark these DFW charging stations located all around metroplex. Drive on and breathe easy!
Convinced yet? I hope so. Living green not only saves energy and resources, but saves you money. Don’t miss out on these websites for further green living tips:

TheDailyGreen
FriscoGreen Living
RechargeTexas
LifeTips – GreenLiving
National Geographic’s Green Guide

Enter National Writing ContestWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Writing Competitions for All Ages

October 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, answer this question:  "What's Your Scar Story?"

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p