My thoughts on Newton: Both guns and people are the components of an evil outcome.

alicezchen
In Possession: Who and What are Both Responsible

The tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut on December 14, 2012, that killed twenty six innocent human beings is the outcome of a series of situations that could have been avoided. After numerous of similar shootings that have occurred throughout the history of this country, laws regarding the right to bear arms haven’t changed to protect its citizens. The simple answer to heal the country’s wounds from these tragedies is to stricken the right to bear arms. However, there is a difference between prevention through gun rights and gun control. I believe that Congress should not completely ban firearms; however, I strongly agree with controlling the accessibility of obtaining a gun.
Buying a gun nowadays is almost as effortless as buying food from the grocery store. Anyone over the age of eighteen can buy a gun, including convicts and people with a history of mental illness. This should cause fear among the people of the United States. Think of the loved ones that could potentially be the next victim of a rampage caused by an unstable human being’s outrageous choice. It is unfair for a grieving family, who lost a member of their group, to live through the horrendous doings of a stranger. Twenty six innocent families, where twenty of them lost their child, have to think about the member whose life was snatched away from them.
Some people have thought that the cause of this particular tragedy and some others in the past was because of the mental state of the murderer. Adam Lanza, the perpetrator, was said to have Asperger Syndrome, a form of autism, which is a brain-related developmental problem. This is definitely plays a huge role as to why Lanza committed this crime, which brings us back to the issues of gun control. It isn’t Lanza’s fault that he was born with a brain-related developmental problem, but the fault is at his parents/teachers and the gun laws. If his parents or even adults gave him the help he needed, this entire situation could have been prevented. Also, if gun control were to be stricter, they should ask for health and criminal records, and decide if a person is able to posses a gun. Those in favor of loose gun control need to think about the potential harm that could be placed upon their own families. Some say that it is a given freedom, which is true, but how far can we be free without harming ourselves?
From this recent tragedy, I have realized that something in this country needs to change. Perhaps the 2nd amendment needs to be rewritten, or gun control needs to be stricter, or maybe authority figures should pay more attention to those in need. For some reason, all of these causes are not being changed for the better of the country. The same issues are being debated about every single time a tragedy, like Newtown, occurs. How many more tragedies do we as a country need to go through with?

Enter National Writing ContestWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Writing Competitions for All Ages

October 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, answer this question:  "What's Your Scar Story?"

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p