Be the Change: I Will Decrease the Amount of Alcohol Abusers

EricaMeline

When we are young, we learn that anything poisonous has fatal consequences. It is known that in fairytales, our villains will use poison for their wicked and immoral acts. We have always been exposed to the dangers of poison, yet many still decide to consume it constantly. However, we do not find our poison in the chalices used by villains. Instead, our poison is being held within bottles, cans and red solo cups. Alcohol: the deadliest poison of them all. In the year 2013, I plan to raise awareness of the dangers of this substance, in the hopes of decreasing its abusers.

Just the word alcohol sends shivers running down my spine. I am all too aware of the dangers of this substance, seeing the effect it has had on my family. Alcoholism is a disease that robs you of your life, and leaves nothing but dependence and anxiety in its path. My mother’s father was an alcoholic. Was. Now, he is dead. When my mother was but a child, alcoholism ate at him, raiding him of himself. He walked out on his family, leaving my mother behind. It was not until her college years that she heard of his passing. Alcohol not only affects you, but the ones who care for you as well.

Alcohol abusers aren’t always the ones to pay the price. Instead, innocent victims do it for them. Those who chose to drive under the influence are not only risking their safety, but the wellbeing of others. No matter how well you think you can handle alcohol, your mind will be affected. No one should be allowed on the roads unless they are 100% themselves. And here is a fact; if you contain alcohol, you will not be yourself. Your vision, reflexes and much more no longer belong to you, but to the alcohol within you. 50% of people killed on the road are the victims of drunk drivers (Alcohol Abuse StatisticsStatistics). Do you realize how many lives could have been saved, had alcohol not been abused? Innocent people die as a result of someone else’s poor decisions.

Abusing alcohol is a choice. In making this choose, you thereby decide to surrender your health. Out of all the alcoholics that have passed, 95% of the deaths can be blamed on alcoholism (Alcohol Abuse StatisticsStatistics). Alcohol damages your body beyond repair. To change the amount of alcohol abusers would inevitably change the amount of victims of cancer, FAS, pancreatitis and so many other diseases.

I have already started to take a stand against alcohol. I participate in my school’s SADD club. I have also made a vow to myself that I will never consume alcohol. In doing this, I hope others will follow my lead. If I convince one person to stop abusing alcohol, I have made a difference. It may be a small change in our world, but to that one person, it is their world.

Sources: Alcohol Abuse StatisticsStatistics on Alcohol AbuseTeen Alcohol Abuse StatisticsStatistics of Alcohol Abuse." Alcohol Abuse Statistics. N.p., n.d. Web. 31 Dec. 2012

StageofLife.com national writing contests

Writing ContestsWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Enter writing contest

August 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, answer this question:  "What is your favorite (or least favorite) school memory?"

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p