Be the Change: Racism

fsiddiqui14
Fahad Siddiqui
Mrs. Pinto
Web Design
7 December 2012
Be the Change: Racial Profiling
America is a nation where people of all ethnicities and religion come together as one and create the “United” States. However, one factor that has made our nation not- “united” is racism and racial profiling. Slavery first started in our nation in 1619 when we seemed to think that Africans were less than human. This absurd idea lasted until January 1863 when the Emancipation Proclamation was passed. Although slavery did end, racial profiling did not. This is why racial profiling should be ended or atleast attempted to be ended in 2013.
Today, in 2012, many different kinds of people get racially and religiously profiled because of media and the single-mindedness of the actual racial profilers. Some kind of people that get racially profiled are: African Americans, Muslims, and Mexicans/Hispanics. According to NYCLU “an analysis revealed that innocent New Yorkers have been subjected to police stops and street interrogations more than 4 million times since 2002, and that black and Latino communities continue to be the overwhelming target of these tactics. Nearly nine out of 10 stopped-and-frisked New Yorkers have been completely innocent, according to the NYPD’s own reports.” Muslims, ever since 9/11, have been racially profiled as terrorists. This gets me really frustrated because a few people’s actions have affected so many people in many different ways. Muslims constantly get checked at airports and get “random-checked” which we all know is a lie. Hispanics and Mexicans are racially profiled as “dirty” and “thieves.” Why? No one knows. Thanks to the media people nowadays get brainwashed into thinking what the media wants them to think.
Lastly, I would like to say how we could better this racial profiling. Who knows whether we will actually be able to fully stop racial profiling. But I would like to start rallies on the streets showing people why innocent Muslims, African Americans, and Hispanics are being discriminated. Muslim women get scared to put on their burqas because they are afraid people will look at them in a nasty way. Muslim men shave their beards because they get scared people will discriminate them and view them as a terrorist. These are reasons why I would like to stop racial profiling in 2013.

StageofLife.com national writing contests

Writing ContestsWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Enter writing contest

Summer 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, answer this question:  "How has YouTube impacted our lives?"  At the end of your essay, submit the link to your favorite YouTube video too!

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  SWAG package from StageofLife.com along with gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).  We also have the support from professionally published authors who donate autographed copies of their books or novels.

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p