Books That Never end, Chapters That Neve Close

groovychef
I think that each and every one of us is a character in a book. Our own personal autobiography that encompasses our whole lives.

But much like a favorite childhood book or a bible in the care worn hands of a devout Catholic, there are pages that are dog eared, faded, and bindings that are so stressed from repeated readings that when the book is laid on the table closed, it still opens slightly to that chapter.

These are chapters that I think we all have in our autobiography...chapters that are never closed because we find comfort in their words, in their memories, in their message. Chapters that we want to read over and over and over again because something in them, some small paragraph has not allowed us to forget that chapter, to close that chapter in our lives for good.

Sometimes that chapter is about family, about some unresolved issue that never was mended and we go back and read it over and over and over in hopes of finding the missing clue to fixing it. Maybe the chapter is about a dream we had that we never quite reached.

Often it is about a relationship with someone that never had a chance to end its time in a way that was healthy and good. A love, a friendship, a partnership or a passing acquaintance. The chapter ends in our book long before the story is fully played out and it leaves you longing for closure, that final reading that you can let go of that part of the past and move on to the next chapter.

But do we really need that closure? Why must we close those chapters at all? And what if WE are not ready to close those chapters yet for fear that we are losing some part of ourselves?

Speaking from my own autobiography, I can safely say that there are many chapters in my life that have been closed before I am even done reading or writing them. Friendships and loves that never reached their full potential because something clipped them short. Things that never got said that needed to be said, things that were said that were not supposed to be said, and things that should have been said differently but anger and bitterness got in the way.

Can we ever go back to these chapters and rewrite them? Resolve the problem and say what needs to be said in order to close the chapter for good or reopen it for the future? I think we have the ability to do that sometimes. Other times we have to just let the chapter go unfinished because finishing changes us, changes who we are, sometimes in a good way and sometimes in a bad way.

I have many chapters in my autobiography that I look back on occasion and wish that they could have ended differently. There are certain romantic relationships that ended in a way that made them tragic love stories that never reached their full potential while others dragged on like paint drying on a wall and needed to end much sooner.

And there have been friendships that have been lost that should not have been lost but anger, life, fate, and karma pushed them past the point of healthiness. Instead of stepping back and allowing things to ebb and flow as they should, words get spoken and choices get made and it ends, abruptly.

These are the chapters that never close. Chapters that await a rewrite, to change the outcome of the book.

There are chapters I wish I could rewrite. There are chapters I wish I could change the outcome of how things ended. There are chapters that I go back over in my head often and think "why did this happen and why can't I go back and change this?"

I think we all have chapters that are never closed. Chapters that haunt us every day. Loves that go unknowing, friendships that break without warning.

Do you have the power to rewrite your own unclosed chapters?

StageofLife.com national writing contests

Writing ContestsWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Enter writing contest

August 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, answer this question:  "What is your favorite (or least favorite) school memory?"

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p