Gay Marriage, Marijuana, Dukkah, The Duchess and a Priest...Oh MY!

groovychef
It seems to have been a fairly quiet week for the news media. Although there have been a couple of interesting bit pieces that have caught my eye and raised my eyebrows a bit.

The Vatican is yet again making a small spectacle of itself. In Chicago, a Jesuit priest made headlines when he allowed a woman priest to do mass, recently. Two small problems with this. First, its a terrible shame that the Pope and the Vatican both have not come full circle with the women's rights movement (do not even get me started on abortion or birth control). Earlier this year the Pope backed up the Vatican policy of not allowing women to join the priesthood. EXPLAIN to me how this works for them: is it solely a boys club? The Methodist church has jumped on the female rights bandwagon and I have known some wonderful female pastors. In fact, all three of my kids were baptized by female pastors. It works. Women have a certain amount of compassion that the average male (no offense) cannot have. We are natural caregivers.

Second, he was a Jesuit. In laymen terms, that means he believes in the churches teachings and supports the churches teachings but he is also a priest that understands that the times, they are a'changin' and that there needs to be progress. They are taught to honor what the church believes despite knowing that it may not be wholly true.

Isn't that a little hypocritical?

So the priest got himself into trouble.

This little tidbit needs to be followed up by the amazing progress that Washington state has made in the last 24 hours in the human rights and freedoms movement. As of midnight, marijuana and gay marriage are both legal. I support both although do not practice either. I think there is a reason for this in that state. After the Haight-Ashbury movement in the sixties, the hippies tootled their way up the coast to Canada to avoid the draft. After the war, they settled back into Washington and Oregon and began a very clean green living movement. I think this was a way to bring back those beliefs of that time period. All I can say is "Right on brothers and sisters, maybe the rest of the country can learn from your lifestyles."

Taking a little trip across the big pond, lets cover the topic of the impending royal baby that the Duchess is expecting. I am happy for them but concerned for their well being. As any parent knows, it is tough enough walking through the grocery store with your toddler pulling his socks off and random strangers telling you how bad you are parenting because you "happen to be tired of putting the dang things back on his feet because by the time you make it to checkout he will have pulled them off thirty more times and you will have forgotten half the grocery list and one sock will be missing...again."

Imagine the eyes they will have on them as they parent.

The Duchess is already experiencing the turmoil of morning sickness and the public eye. I am fairly certain that when that point comes that she has swollen ankles and hemorrhoids, she is going to grow to hate the world. And I feel bad for her.

And last but not least, lets cover the food world. The last time I checked, it was trending chefs that really gave push to what we eat today, tomorrow, and next week. It takes a couple of years for a food trend to actually catch on but eventually it does. Apparently McCormick has decided they own the rights to choosing what the American public will find trendy now days. On their list is Dukkah (a middle eastern spice blend that, mixed with hummus or yogurt or whatever, makes a great spread for naan), along with cajeta ( a caramel type substance) and catsu (similar to catsup but used in Japanese cuisine). The only one that I truly see taking off is cajeta and thats because it has a Spanish influence. I see Dukkah being the least favorite. I do not see people bringing crackers and Dukkah to the PTA meeting or offering them as part of their appetizer nibbles at the block party. In order for this to take off, some chef is going to have to find the target niche and really push it. Even then I do not see the American palate embracing it.

In the grand scheme of things, maybe the whole world is changing how they feel about the life we have come to know. Maybe religion is on the cusp of changing, just as our food tastes change. And who is to say that someday, Washington isn't going to be the hot destination spot for weddings where you can be married by a female priest to your gay partner of ten years and celebrate by passing the one hitter and noshing on naan smeared with Dukkah. It could happen you know.

StageofLife.com national writing contests

Writing ContestsWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Enter writing contest

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  SWAG package from StageofLife.com along with gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).  We also have the support from professionally published authors who donate autographed copies of their books or novels.

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p