My Favorite Book: Upton Sinclair’s The Jungle caused me to be a better Mother

groovychef
At the beginning of my eighth grade year, I received a list of required books that were part of the curriculum. Little did I realize that there was a book on that list that would actually change, shape and mold my future as well as my children’s future.

That book was Upton Sinclair’s The Jungle.

The actual details and words bound between the covers have long since faded in my mind, but the memory and impression of my feelings and thoughts while reading that book have lasted a lifetime.

After reading the book, I vowed never to touch another hot dog again. Eight years later, when I had my first child, I made the choice never to allow my children to eat hot dogs unless the circumstances were such that there was no choice.

Moving forward, when I became a chef, I made a point to learn about the meat packing industry and where our beef, pork and other livestock come from, how they are processed for consumption, and what regulations were in place to make sure that the products were safe.

I was so adamant that when my children were preschoolers, we stopped at a farm in Wisconsin while on vacation so they could learn about the life of a cow from a real farm and speak to a real farmer.

Today, I still adhere to that promise I made to myself. I do not eat hot dogs unless it is the only option available. I have gone on a first date to a hot dog joint and it turned out to be the only date. Better educated and aware of the regulations and health standards involved in the meat packing industry, I still see hot dogs as the enemy.

This book changed my life by changing the way I look at food, fed my children, and the importance of knowing where your food comes from before you actually consume it.

Enter National Writing ContestWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Writing Competitions for All Ages

October 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, answer this question:  "What's Your Scar Story?"

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p