My Favorite Book: John Steinbeck’s “Of Mice and Men” Made Me Question the Purpose of Life

Irene_Elizabeth
One of the most important books I’ve ever read was the novella Of Mice and Men, written by John Steinbeck. This book follows the struggling lives of George and Lenny. I couldn’t decide who lived the more difficult life: the man with the mental disability, or his best friend. Lenny was a good person, who unknowingly made many mistakes, because he didn’t know any better. His character was sweet. He was so naive, but was also a loving, endearing person. It made my heart ache that he had disabilities. His best friend, George, stayed by him, almost feeling as though Lenny was his responsibility. He would severely insult Lenny, and be furious with all the trouble he would get them into. Nevertheless, George wanted the best for Lenny, and always defended him. They were true friends.
I would get lost in this book to the point where I felt anxious, as if the characters’ problems were my own. I put myself in George’s shoes, and thought about what I would have done. I tried to imagine what it would be like to have a friend like Lenny, and how I would deal with his actions. The end of the book was packed with suspense. This time Lenny had made too big of a mistake. He was in a lot of trouble, and George had to make a decision. He felt like Lenny was harmful; although, that was no fault of his own. It’s a challenging decision; one I could never get myself to make. I constantly thought in my head, “Don’t do it George! Then again how will they live like this? Although, what if someone else were to hurt Lenny?!” When I finished that scene, I understood, but at the same time, couldn’t believe what choice George had made. I cried the rest of that day, and walked around as if I was the one who had made such a decision, and couldn’t cope with it. I didn’t understand what the point of Lenny’s life was. Lenny’s entire life seemed ill-fated. He lived life dreaming of owning his own land where he and his best friend would live; where he could have pet bunnies. His whole train of thought was so simple. He didn’t understand everything that would go on, and how serious it truly was. His life had a depressing ending; he didn’t even see it coming. As for George, he now had to live with his decision, and most importantly, without his best friend. This was a truly tragic story that taught me a lot about friendship, and how challenging of a life people had, especially during the depression. I still ask myself today, what decision I would have made, and hope I am never put in that position.

Enter National Writing ContestWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

December 2015 Writing ContestDecember 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, share a story about a random act of kindness.  It can be a story about how you performed the act of kindness or one was done to you.

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter StageofLife.com writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p