MY FAVORITE BOOK: “Lolita” by Vladimir Nabokov turned me on . . . to writing.

flyinglikepan
Light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul.

That was all it took. A thirteen-year-old girl transformed my adult world.

I’ve never actually seen her, but nonetheless, she ruptured my psyche. She seduced me—not with preadolescent sexuality or idiosyncratic quirks—but with lusty prose and sultry style. What else could a man want? And while the passive efforts of Humbert Humbert failed to persuade my sexual craves and covets toward a younger, sprier, and all-together intolerable demographic, he succeeded in inciting a different lust: an ambition I could not have imagined just a decade ago. He made me want to write.

Nabokov’s Lolita has sat among the top of the Greatest English Book Lists for a half century. There is nothing, in terms of critical rave or review, I can offer concerning this quintessential guide to nymphets that cannot be found in abundance elsewhere (penned by those much more qualified). So I won’t try. Instead, I offer you the acute and violent influence it had on my life.

I had a successful career . . . still do, I guess, though not one that can satisfy this precarious affliction of literary aspiration. Growing up, through school, through work, through life, I focused on the sciences. It’s what made sense; it’s what I’m good at. Inevitably, the weight of my reading submerged me in a placid sea of murky nonfiction. Informative, not inspiring. Educative, not enlivening. I hadn’t read a real story since the nuns or professors made me.

But on that curious day, perhaps prompted by some censored need, I read those opening lines and my life unexpectedly altered: I fell in love with language. I devoured the classics. I studied the Greats. I found my own characters and a need to tell their story. The priorities of my days reluctantly gave way to the requirements of writing. Hobbies ended. Obligations suffered. It was a complete shift in life-paradigm to something more reclusive, more agonizing, more raw. I would tell stories. The world be damned.

Yes. I fell in love with a girl named Language.

Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth.” Ahhhhh. Breathe it in folks; it doesn’t get any better. There is no teenage phenom alive sexier than that.

Nowadays, a daunting image of the Master Himself looms above my desk, fenced in by an unworthy frame. Known for writing in cars, Nabokov sits shotgun, pen in hand, leering over spectacles and under raised brow, out the passenger window, out of the photograph and into my study, as if to say, “I’m writing, why aren’t you?” In more ways than one, his legend hangs over me as I toil away in obscurity. And I remain forever grateful.

But I’m still attracted to adults.

Enter National Writing ContestWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Writing Competitions for All Ages

September 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, answer this question:  "Who Do You Think You Are?"

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p