A Hole in My Heart

NormaSherry
Go figure. My doctors found a literal hole in my heart! I could have told them. I knew it was there. I could feel the gaping hole. All day, every day, everything that had any meaning fell through the hole, much like the hole that Alice in Wonderland fell through, only mine didn’t evolve into a magical land of make-believe.

No, my hole is a land of nothingness: A place where only tears and memories reside that make me miss him all the more. Every test the doctor’s wanted to perform that was painful, I’d ask for a few minutes to allow me to escape to my “happy place”. Philip was always my “hap-py place”, not just in this life, but always in our life to-gether.

Can love lost grow a hole? I’m told no, but I doubt they know what they’re talking about. Medicine is science and based on very specific, quantitative studies. Love is love. It’s based solely on the heart. Hence, a hole in the heart would be based only on the emotion of love lost.

Perhaps it’s not a doctor at all that I should seek for healing? Perhaps it’s a lovelorn therapist? Or would it be a Yenta? A Matchmaker like the one Barbra Streisand sings about: “Matchmaker, Matchmaker, make me a match…” If not a love guru, a therapist or a matchmaker, who should I find to heal this hole in my heart?

Should I try a psychic healer? Oh, I know, I should see one of those TV evangelists. The one’s that put their sweaty palms on stranger’s foreheads. They mutter or shout something in a garbled language and their subject goes limp and falls straight away backwards and into the strong arms of bodyguard types at the ready. But, then again I’ve never seen what becomes of their hearts in need of healing. Do they get all better? Is their hole gone?

If not my physician or a therapist, or a Yenta, or a Matchmaker, or a love guru, or a lovelorn mistress, or a TV evangelist, who then should I seek? Who, pray tell can thread a needle and bind together two pieces of flesh sealing them to close my hole? Maybe sewing is not the answer at all; maybe super glue would do the trick. After all it binds everything, even fingertips if you’re not careful!

But then again, I’m really drawn to the idea of a Match-maker. Maybe it’s because I like hearing Barbra in my head singing, “Matchmaker, matchmaker make me a match…”

However, as I contemplate fully, perhaps I’m going in the wrong direction entirely. Is it possible that what I really need is a physician who melds together the mind and the body? Could my broken heart actually bore a hole in my heart: A real, actual, tangible hole? Would that be the epitome of mind and body connection?

Hmm, where do I go from here? It’s true after all that the weaker I felt physically the sadder I became emo-tionally? How would that be measurable? There are days to be sure that all it takes is the image of him in my head and the tears flow. Sometimes it’s just the mention of his name, or someone, anyone asks me a simple, be-nign question such as, “Is Philip still your healthcare advocate?”

And I find I have no voice in which to reply. My lips quiver and try as I might to answer, the sadness over-comes me and I’m lost in the memory of my Philip, my Philippe’. Such a beautiful, captivating man; I look at his reflection framed throughout my house and my hand caresses them as if I could actually feel him.

I wish I could. I wish I could. I wish could. I think what I miss the most is the smell of him. I can’t define it be-cause he had no odor not even upon first waking. I, on the other hand, wouldn’t let him kiss me until I brushed my teeth. He’d say, “Kiss me. I don’t care.” And he didn’t…his love was so pure. He loved just for me. So, is it no wonder that I have a hole in my heart: An actual hole?

The expression “broken heart” truly defines me and the state of my heart. I’m broken hearted and I have a hole in my heart.
Comment by chelle.vines@aol.com

awww that is so sad i hope you feel better soon.
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 4:20:45 PM
Comment by NormaSherry

Dear Chelle, Thank you for your kind and empathetic heart. I so appreciate that you read my piece and was moved to write me. I am fully recovered and getting stronger with each new day.
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 2:10:41 PM

Enter National Writing ContestWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

December 2015 Writing ContestDecember 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, share a story about a random act of kindness.  It can be a story about how you performed the act of kindness or one was done to you.

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter StageofLife.com writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p