Who is the Earthy Monk?

earthymonk
I’m just an ordinary man in love with and loved by an extraordinary God…seeking to love God, love people & follow Jesus.

I’m sharing God’s love through service, work, love, irreverence, compassion, wild hope and reckless abandon as well writing, poetry, healing, community building, servant leadership, prayer, play, and so much more!

I was a “pained soul” but, thanks be to God, I am now a “PainTed Soul” living deeply, soulfully, deliciously, simply & contemplatively. In August 1985, Jesus revealed himself to me in such a complete, holy, and powerful way…and I surrendered to his Love and Lordship. And in June 2011, I followed Jesus into new territory when I answered the Spirits’ tug and ventured “across the Tiber” becoming Catholic. I love the Catholic Church deeply, but I still feel just as ‘At Home’ fellowshiping alongside my fellow brothers and sisters, whether in a house church, a pew, or a mountainside.

From August 2008 I have resided nestled close to the Blue Ridge Mountains, part of the time in Pulaski, Virginia and currently in the Potomac Highlands region of Capon Bridge, West Virginia. This rural mountain move came after living and working 18 years in the ‘cosmopolitan village’ of Washington, DC (in the ‘Hoods of Adams Morgan, Brookland, Mount Pleasant, and Foggy Bottom). And also in there was some time spent in Hawai’i, NYC and Vermont as well…

Over the last 25 years my life’s work – both my jobs and my ‘Mission’ – have been a patchwork quilt of seeking and serving the addicted, the homeless, people living with HIV/AIDS, and those with (so-called) physical disabilities as a counselor, trainer, friend and servant. Thrown in that mix, for good measure, I spent many years as a consultant (whatever that means), doing public health training, nonprofit management, community development, social ventures and even some time in the ‘Dot Com’ craze. All of this, whether tent-maker or defined ministry, has been because of a hunger to follow Jesus and his example as written in Luke 4:18-19 (see Isaiah 58; 61).

The Real Deal is: I love Jesus, Juno, Java, and Jazz (as well as God Rock, Grunge, Indie, and Vivaldi-like music). I love writing and reading poetry and nonfiction. I’m into Crazy Love, Messy Grace, ‘Wasteful’ Beauty, and Lavish Mercy (all the things God is into). I love tattoos (got a bunch). I dig St. Damien, Mother Teresa, Dorothy Day & the Catholic Workers, Red Letter Christians (and all radical Jesus lovers), simple church, and my enemies as well. I love my family (blood and spiritual) and friends (SKL and Padre to single out two). I love Mass, house church, and the Silence of empty churches. I love fellowship around the Table. I dig the Spirit’s movement, playful irreverence, and lighting a fire under people’s bums as well as stirring up trouble for the Kingdom [this is starting to sound like a Personals Ad...doh!]! I love the grandiosity of the mountains and the sweet sound of gentle rivers.

I love comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable with Abba’s love & grace!

StageofLife.com national writing contests

Writing ContestsWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

Enter writing contest

Summer 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, answer this question:  "How has YouTube impacted our lives?"  At the end of your essay, submit the link to your favorite YouTube video too!

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter our writing contests.

Prizes:  SWAG package from StageofLife.com along with gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).  We also have the support from professionally published authors who donate autographed copies of their books or novels.

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Blogging contest prize on StageofLife.com 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p