Nature: Where Magic Happens

Chan07
As with most adolescent children in this time period, my connection to the outdoors could be best described as something along the lines of, " a sporadic affair". I recall one memory of me as a child where I did truly fell as if I was one with nature.
It was a windy Saturday afternoon, my dad sleeping on the couch, and me gazing at the window glass, trying to catch a ghostly reflection of myself out of curiousity. I tried to touch the mirror, hoping to grasp on to my own reflection, until suddenly, the window slowly opened, like as if an invisible man opened it from the other side. As I felt the light winds grazing on my face, I gradually crept out of the window, unnoticed by my lethargic father.
The first thing I felt as I descended down to the ground was the blades of grass under me. Blades sharper than screeches , yet smoother than jazz music. As I wandered into the forest called my backyard, I could literally feel the grasp of my childhood gradully dissappearing, replaced with this unforeseen fascination for what was literally, out there.
I began to feel the winds, abrasive yet, subtle. I began to hear the winds, the smooth noises of created by the strokes of enormous palm trees, surrounding me like a dome with it's even bigger fronds. These noises almost seemed to have a type of rhythm to it within it's sporadic nature. I remember raising my hands whenever the winds came, as it was gently going through my back, returning to the vast skies above me. I started to make swinging movements with my arms as I raised them, almost like a maestro in an orchestra, the orchestra being the nature around me. I remember whenever I put my arms down, the winds and the noises that came with it, stopped abruptly, and then when I raised them again, the winds came back, a cacophony of noises, but at the same time, that's just what made it more beautiful.
I pretended to have my own little concert with nature, controlling the winds with the swinging of my arms, almost like Mickey Mouse in " Fantasia". It was a very magical moment, where I felt like I could have conquered anything after that, a surge of confidence per se. Surprisingly, my father awakened from his everlasting slumber, rushed outisde, and commanded me to come back inside, back to reality. Like any good 5-year old, I returned, acknowledging my father's orders. When I came back inside, I went back to square one, me, once again, gazing at the window, but not to see my spectral reflection, but to imagine what it could have been like if the magic didn't end with my father's unwelcomed arrival. I slowly crept away from the window, the portal to my imaginaton, the gateway to my possibilities, my door to nature.
That one moment alone, that one magical moment, inspired me in a way that no one, or nothing, had after that one moment; nature inspired me to be more confident. Just like how I controlled the winds and nature with the rhythm of my hands, I could also control what happens to me, my destiny, and that I could tackle any challenge given to me. It inspired me to be more assertive of my actions, and that you could put any given situation into your favor with just enough of that assertiveness.
Nature inspires all of us.
It inspires works of art, film, and dance
For me, it inspired
to aspire.

Enter National Writing ContestWhat's your story? Answer our monthly "life question" and be automatically entered into our writing contest. 

Details:  Select your life stage below to view the current writing contest prompt for each life category, and help us change the world...one story at a time...with an essay about your thoughts and experiences.

December 2015 Writing ContestDecember 2014 Writing Contest Prompt:
  In 500 words or less, share a story about a random act of kindness.  It can be a story about how you performed the act of kindness or one was done to you.

Cost:  $0 (no entry fees).  There is never a fee to enter StageofLife.com writing contests.

Prizes:  Gift card prizes from our literacy sponsors (see below).

Next Steps:  Select your life stage to get details and enter the current contest for your life stage...

Writing contests for high school students
for High School
Students
Writing contests for college students
for College
Students
Writing contests for singles on StageofLife.com
for
Singles
Writing contests about weddings on StageofLife.com
about
Weddings
 Writing contests for married couples on StageofLife.com
for Married
Couples

Writing contests for homeowners on StageofLife.com
for Home
Owners
Writing contests for having a baby on StageofLife.com
about Having
a Baby
Writing contests for Moms and Dads on StageofLife.com
for Moms
and Dads

Writing contests for Grandparents on StageofLife.com
for
Grandparents
 Writing contests about Retirement on StageofLife.com
about Empty Nest
and Retirement

Take a minute to enter our "Short Short Story" Writing Contest on Twitter. 
Enter our monthly Photo Contest too...

National Writing Contest Winners
 And view our past writing contest winners.

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes:  Enter the free writing contests each month on StageofLife.com.

Each month, with the help of over 20 Editors, Stage of Life hosts and judges writing contests for both students and adults.  Select your life stage below to get the details about this month's writing prompt and submit your essay.  Thanks to the below brands, our educational sponsors, who supply gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we help the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat makes our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests are always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe.
  • We want to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We pick writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We award the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • We have Stage of Life SWAG for the winner
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, you are supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and your words will be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers who come to StageofLife.com to p