My favorite TV show: Once Upon a Time enchants me with fairy tale twists

What if the Mad Hatter isn’t really mad? What if the “crocodile” who steals Captain Hook’s hand is really Rumplestiltskin? Or what if Mulan and Sleeping Beauty are best friends who both fall in love with the handsome and brave Prince Phillip? Imagine all of this happening, not in the pages of an antiquated book of fairy tales, but in the small town of Storybrooke, Maine.

ABC’s hit drama Once Upon a Time enchants audiences with entirely new and modern twists to classic fairy tales. In this hour-long, weekly series, the Evil Queen of Snow White, after years of feuding with the beautiful princess, curses the Enchanted Forest and all of its beloved fairy tale characters to a land she thinks has no “happily ever after:" our world.

In Storybrooke, Maine, the queen goes by the name Mayor Regina Mills and only she and pawnshop owner Mr. Gold (Rumplestiltskin) remember the land from which they came. The other famous characters live frozen in time as teachers, policemen, waitresses, doctors, innkeepers, and therapists. Only when Snow White and Prince Charming’s daughter Emma, who was protected from the curse, is pulled into the quaint little town does time restart and memories return. Can the curse be broken? And what will become of the fairy tale characters when it is?

Once Upon a Time is the only show I make sure not to miss every week. For two seasons I have watched the drama, mystery, and magic unfold. Created by the same brains behind the hit show Lost, this enchanted series has just as many twists, turns, and surprises while still maintaining the imaginative qualities that made the original fairy tales by greats such as the Brothers Grimm and Hans Christian Anderson so magical. One may think he or she has everything figured out, but ten minutes and a short commercial break later can change everything.

I love that the series employs a unique perspective. The episodes shift between the characters' lives in the modern world to their adventures and relationships in their real home of the Enchanted Forest, complete with gorgeous costumes and special effects that make evil witches, fire breathing dragons, and magic beanstalks possible. One component present in all aspects of every episode, though, is love.

Once Upon a Time succeeds so well because it focuses on one element so many shows overlook. Behind every motive, good or bad, of every character, whether he or she is in Maine, the Enchanted Forest, Wonderland, or Neverland, is love and the lesson that love always conquers all. In the name of love, the Mad Hatter made hats, Rumplestiltskin got his magic, and the Evil Queen fed Snow the apple. In the name of love, those characters and many more must work together to forgive the past and move towards the future as the fairy tales continue, though not in ways many will suspect.
Comment by SOFLarchive

Nice essay. I love the show too. It's interesting & fascinating.
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 2:45:48 AM
Comment by Girlboxer1970

Very nice essay!
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 11:32:25 PM
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You’ve been selected a runner-up for the February writing contest: "Why Can't I Stop Watching My Favorite TV Show?"

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 4:52:49 PM

About StageofLife.comAbout Us: is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month. is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.