Cooking at College

seamstressofwords
Moving into an apartment at college meant a few things, but the most important thing it meant was that I got a kitchen and that I could cook.

I've always loved to cook, ever since I was little and slaving away at my little easy bake oven making cookies and cakes for my mom and dad and sister. Being able to cook for myself has been quite the learning experience, although it'll be a long time before I'm a home style cook like my mother.

There is just one problem cooking at college, and that's money. The good stuff is typically too expensive for me, and the cheaper stuff is too unhealthy, and I end up having other people swipe me into my dining hall because I don't feel like defrosting meat to make hamburger helper. Cooking for myself on a semi daily basis has shown itself to be more difficult than I thought.

Because it's rather difficult to cook for yourself, I've come up with two recipes that would be great for fellow college cookers. The first isn't really a recipe, but a database of them. Every single college kid I have ever known has some ramen on their shelves at one point or another. It's like $0.96 a package, and a dollar something when you buy twelve of them. It's what college kids live off of these days, and I had to do for the past few weeks because ramen is cheap and I am poor. But any college kid who has been where I am/was knows that ramen gets boring very quickly. They're your run-of-the-mill super high in sodium noodles, and unless you have some pasta sauce in the fridge, you're stuck using their powder flavor packets. Thankfully, someone somewhere got sick of ramen and complied a whole bunch of recipes of different things you can do with ramen! There's about a hundred of them, ranging from snacks to dessert, and they're all very interesting. I've made a few of them and they come out okay (you have to keep in mind that you're cooking with ramen), you just need to keep your mind open to the possibilities! You can find those recipes here: http://www.onlinecolleges.net/2009/12/01/100-awesome-ramen-recipes-for-starving-college-students/.

Another thing that a college kid always has is a microwave. And thanks to a recent trend sweeping the online nation, a lot of people have been creating recipes for cakes, cookies, brownies, and other desserts that could be baked in a microwave. This is great for college kids like myself. I often find myself craving a fresh baked cookie, but I don't always have a mix or enough of the ingredients to make them from scratch. I will, however, have tablespoon amounts of the ingredients (if I scrape the bottom of the flour bag). Here's a great recipe for the next time you want a fresh cookie: http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/5ySahg/zoomyummy.com/2012/08/04/2-minute-chocolate-chip-cookie-for-one/. You mix it all together and put it in the microwave for two minutes, and BOOM! you've got a warm and moist cookie.

College is a great time that offers young adults all over the world plenty of freedoms. Don't be afraid to embrace your freedom of cooking and jump into the frying pan! (or microwave!)