My Thoughts on Newtown: Gun Regulation

stephkaselis
My Thoughts on Newtown: Gun Regulation

America: The land of the free, and the home of the guns? This is definately not the reputation that the United States should possess when it comes to gun regulation. Recently, gun control in this country has been getting somewhat of a “bad rap”. Small towns and large universities are being remembered for all of the wrong reasons. The suspects of shootings, such as Newtown, Virginia Tech, and Columbine may have had their own motives, but there is no harm in attempting to prevent such tragedies from occurring in the future. However, the true question at hand is, “what are we doing wrong?”
Currently, the United States has more assault rifle shootings than any other country. Many citizens question why or how this can be, but the answer is inevitably clear. It is almost effortless to obtain a permit for a gun in the United States. However, in many other countries such as Japan, the steps that need to be taken in order to receive a gun permit is not as easy as one, two, three. If Americans were to follow the same guidelines as the ones put in place in Japan, it would not eliminate gun assaults and mass shootings but would certainly reduce them. For example, Japan limits the type of guns that are approved as well as makes the permit process nearly unattainable. The precautions that are taken are no walk in the park, and many of these include psychological evaluations and analysis. Evidently, America would very much benefit from similar gun regulations as Japan.
Furthermore, Americans need to look at methods that are successful. Although we may not be able to go as far as to completely outlaw and eliminate all guns and weapons, we need to start somewhere. Creating a different, more intensive permit process would be very beneficial for the United States. For instance, a rigorous background check and psychological evaluation might make it more difficult to access an assault weapon. Whether we like it or not, there are citizens that are not mentally stable enough to have a gun, and if this evaluation was put in place, there would be less massacre in public places such as elementary schools and colleges. Obviously, it is truly imperative that something be done to reduce the amount of assault weapon casualties in America.
Therefore, America needs to step back and assess the situation at hand. What changes can be made to our system? Recently, Obama has been taking action that should have been in the works ages ago. Obviously, the NRA is not in favor of any of the apparent changes that are being proposed. In the long run, however, the NRA should think about what is truly at stake; the loss of the gun commission or the lives of several innocent people. When it comes down to it, the NRA can argue and dispute until death do us part, but it is time to finalize our divorce from gun and assault rifles in the United States.

Comment by Justina

I completely agree that a psychological examination would both slow down the process of obtaining guns and serve as an extra measure to ensure that the firearm isn't misused. But yes, the NRA are quite a stubborn group.
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2013 6:26:38 AM