My Thoughts on Newtown: An Unnecessary Tragedy

bsmyth
The shooting in Newtown, Connecticut was a tragic day in the history of the United States. That day sparked realization among the citizens of the United States about the growing issue of gun regulations and laws. The President has started working on devising plans on how to make gun regulations stricter and harder to achieve. The restriction efforts are happening for a good reason and for a better future but it is sad that it took a tragedy for the nation to actually address this problem.
After the incident in Newtown, stricter laws and regulations should be considered and enforced to help prevent this kind of tragedy from happening again. The laws for owning a permit to carry a concealed weapon should be increased so the government can gain control back. The nation should look farther into the person’s background and prior history. The nation should also consider banning the access to own an assault rifle to everyone except for the use of government military only. Assault rifles are not necessary for self- protection and should not be legal under the concealed weapons permit.
Stricter laws and regulations regarding gun ownership should be enforced into action. The standard regulations that citizens are required to meet need to be increase in difficulty in order to take away the power of gun ownership from those who are not fully responsible. Our nation should take the time to look into the applicant’s background and prior history to see if they can be responsible to take advantage of the rights given to us by the government and Constitution. Our country should take the example of other countries whose gun permits and requirements are a much harder process and even some require their applicants to go through a psychological evaluation before they are even considered approved to own a gun.
Another regulation that should be considered to ban is the ownership of assault rifles. There are many different types of assault rifles but they are not a necessity in the daily life of anyone. If there is a citizen that is uncomfortable and feels as if they need protection they should go through the efforts of obtaining a concealed weapons permit. The government should ban the selling of assault rifles to all citizens except the military because they have the training and expertise in working with high caliber weapons and need them in order to keep our country safe.
Therefore, gun restrictions and regulations need to be improved in order for our government to obtain control back over guns. With more difficult requirements, the government would be able to more easily manage the nation’s gun issues. The close management of government officials will also hopefully help to get illegal gun distributions off the streets. If these issues are taken seriously, gun control will appear in a few years and yet still allow us to exercise our second amendment rights.