My Thoughts on Newtown: A Loss of Innocence

mlatsko11
In recent years it seems as though news stations have been constantly flooded with stories regarding shootings and the issues of gun control. The most recent being the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, where the lives of 20 innocent children and 6 adults were taken. This catastrophic event along with other recent events has brought to light the serious issue of the lack of regulations and precautions our country has in place when it comes to the purchase, possession, and use of firearms. But there are many different options available that could help greatly decrease the occurrence of shootings like the one in Newtown.
It has been proposed that the sale of firearms to the public should be banned altogether, but this is an unreasonable proposition because it is unconstitutional and violates our second amendment right as Americans. Also, firearms are not solely used for the purpose of criminal intent or murder. Some are used for protection only when absolutely necessary by law enforcement officers and also for recreational use such as hunting. Since we cannot fully ban the sale of firearms the least we can do is make them more difficult to obtain.
First, we could mandate that anyone wishing to purchase a gun must submit to a psychoanalysis, interview, and background check. This would be done in order to insure that the customer is sane, has no history of mental illness, and insure that they know what precautions to take in order to keep their firearms out of the reach of children. The length of time it would take to complete this process alone may defer many people from obtaining a weapon. Second, we should outlaw the sale of assault weapons to the public or limit the number of bullets that can be purchased by one person. Many shooters come to their chosen site heavily armed and want as many casualties as possible. If the sale of assault weapons is outlawed it would greatly reduce the amount of high fatality shootings and make it extremely difficult for people to find an assault weapon to use for a mass shooting. Lastly, once cleared for purchase of a firearm it should be required that a person attend classes to inform them about their firearm. Such a class should cover proper storage, cleaning, and disposal procedures of a firearm.
If laws are passed to make the process of obtaining a gun more rigorous and time consuming then less people would go through the entire process. Also the psychoanalysis, interview, and background check, would weed out people who are not mentally stable or may suffer from a mental illness. If the sale of assault weapons were banned then it would reduce the amount of mass shootings, although it may not completely solve the problem or prevent all murders. These solutions could help solve some of the controversial issues of gun control and help make America a safer nation.