My Thoughts on Newtown: New Laws, New Way

kirstin.bergen
The Newtown shooting was a tragedy. The lives of many innocent children and adults were taken on December 14, 2012 at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. Ever since this dreadful December day, many questions have been raised. The main question is how can we control guns in the United States? And how can we stop the madness of these murderers? I believe, as the law states right now, that a person wanting to purchase a gun should obtain a permit before getting the gun. Along with a permit, a person must go through a series of tests to make sure he is mentally stable enough to own a gun.
After the Newtown shooting, I believe stricter laws should be enforced on gun control. In order to purchase and own a gun, a person should go through a series of tests to ensure the stability of their mind. If the tests come back showing that he is not in a stable set of mind, he should not be given the permit. He should also present a valid reason of purchasing the gun. If he does not present a valid reason, he should not be granted the permit. A student does not have a valid reason for owning a gun, but a person like my dad has a more valid reason because he wants to protect my family. Having these laws enforced will help the safety and security of this country in a significant way.
I believe outlawing all guns is not the answer. Some people like having guns for protection and others like having them for hobbies like hunting. When selling a gun, the shop needs to think about the size of the gun and the amount of ammunition given with the gun. There should be a size regulation on the gun and a small amount of ammo given at one time. There is no need for a normal American to purchase an assault weapons and an abundance of ammunition. A typical American does not need an assault rifle for protection. A small pistol would suffice for a normal American.
Yes, somehow people will find ways to get guns illegally, but that does not mean we can’t help try to minimize this disturbing violence. Making these laws and regulations will benefit all Americans and contribute to the safety of our country. The Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Connecticut was one of the most tragic mass murders and making new laws will only benefit the United States. It is not guns that kill people, it is people who are not mentally stable or immoral who kill.