My Thoughts on Newtown Shooting: A Society Living in Fear

GabrielaLasa
Americans today live with the fear that danger stands right at their doorstep and have the need to protect themselves. This constant fear has led to an extremely high gun and weapon demand over the past few years, and an even higher number of gun-related homicides. Just in 2012, there were two terrifying shootings in the United States, the Aurora Theater and the Sandy Hook shootings. Consequently, numerous debates are now traveling across the nation that question whether there is a true need for assault weapons in a household, and if everyone should have access to one. Living in fear has made the United States a more violent community where people find protection in pulling a trigger. Therefore, in order to reduce such violence, there should not only be specific control over gun possession but also a new mentality introduced into society.
December 14th 2012 marked a beginning to American gun control law enforcement. Sandy Hook Elementary school was victim of the second-deadliest shooting in the history of the United States when Adam Lanza shot twenty children and six adults at the school. This has led to constant discussions on the true necessity of guns. Countries all over the world have stated that the owning of a gun is an endangerment itself, as there is no true legislation behind it. Statistically, according to the FBI, 47,856 people were murdered in the U.S. by firearms between 2006 and 2010 . This number has only increased since then, leaving the United States in the Top 10 countries with the highest number of gun-related homicides. The number of individuals that own a firearm is extremely high because they usually end up in hands of those who misuse them. European legislation, for example, only provides a gun to those who undergo strict psychological and medical tests. These guns are then inspected annually, as will their owners, to have full control over their use.
President Obama has started to address this to increase gun regulation in the United States. However, it is highly difficult to take away what is already in one’s possession. The complete banning of assault weapons would create a larger black market and trafficking of guns, dissatisfaction among individuals and controversy towards the government. The gun market is one of the biggest markets in the country and it would be extremely harmful for the country’s economy to ban guns. President Obama is trying to imply a more rigorous process to receive a gun license in order to avoid unsuitable individuals having access to them. It is extremely difficult to determine how the implementing of new gun legislation would settle among Americans, but it is a time to learn from experience. A more rigorous process to get a license should be put in place. In order to not violate the 2nd Amendment, the process would only determine who is apt to own and handle a gun. These rigorous processes have been proven to be efficient in other countries such as Japan and Switzerland, and would be effective in the U.S. in the long run. However, the importance today lies in introducing that idea into the minds of the citizens in order to avoid a general sense of dissatisfaction.