My Thoughts on Newtown: Newtown Shooting

CDaigle
Christen Daigle
FYW 102
January 24, 2013

My thoughts on Newtown Shooting:

The hype about gun control has gone up drastically since President Obama took matters into his own hands. After the terrible shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, which ripped the community of Sandy Hook apart, opinions about gun control have formed around the Nation. In our modern times especially in the United States, guns have become very popular and a normal part of daily life. Focus on the U.S. Military gave rise to the amount of ordinary people that own guns around the country. Nowadays, especially men, have found a hobby in buying and shooting guns at local ranges and for hunting. They see the buying, selling and sport of shooting as a game. Little do they know they have given rise to a different kind of shooting which is not acceptable.
Many criminals are taking advantage of our nation’s lenience with the buying and selling of guns. They are already apart of our daily life so they cannot be taken away from their owners. In my opinion, obtaining a concealed weapon’s license should be taken more seriously. These days, almost anyone can walk right off the street and purchase a gun. The sellers are not worried about if these individuals are stable and are using the guns for the right reason, they are only interested in making a profit.
Before anyone should be able to buy a gun, they should go through many psychoanalysis tests to make sure that they are equipped to handle the gun in the right way and are not using it inappropriately. This way, owing a gun will be taken more seriously. Anyone who buys a gun will be accounted for and will only use them for the right reasons. Also, I believe that assault rifles have no place in our modern day society. They should not be sold to ordinary people, because there is simply no use for them. The only reason an assault rifle would be purchased is to kill. With all the recent shootings in our country, a good majority has been done with assault rifles. If we ban the selling of these guns this will decrease the probability of another massive shooting. They should be saved and only be used in the military. My final point is that prosecutors, people that obtain guns illegally, should be more seriously executed. This will ensure that this will not turn into a joking matter and innocent lives will no longer be taken.
Too many lives have been risked and taken because of our nation’s inability to increase gun control, and make sure that guns are in the hands of the right people. As nice as it would be to go back to a time where guns were not needed, we cannot. Times have changed and the world is a dangerous place now. Our Nation has grown in good and bad ways. We have advanced so far in such little time. However, these new trends and worries are here for good.

Word Count: 509