STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Thoughts on Newtown: Newtown Essay

brittany.walker
The catastrophic event that took place in Newtown was an eye opener for society regarding the people that live on this planet. Along with the shooting in Colorado, these events made us realize there are a lot of deranged people in the world. This event left America standing on an edge wondering where to go next from here. In my opinion I believe that guns should not be banned, there should be security systems at public places and there should be intensified screenings and background checks on people who buy guns.
Even though guns were the weapons that killed these innocent people, I do not believe people should lose their rights to being able to carry them. I believe employees above a certain age should be allowed to have one in their working environment. One can go under the sink where all their cleaning products are and create a destructive concoction that could still kill many people. If guns were banned and an unstable person creates another weapon how will we be able to protect ourselves? The situation would be so quick and hectic the victim would not be able to think of a weapon that could stop this person. However, if the victim had a gun, they would have a higher chance of being able to protect them. Yes, this means that the killer would have their hands on a gun, but at least the victim would also be able to have one as well, increasing their chances of saving lives.
Our security systems need to be more common at public places, popular targets for killers. It is sad to think one cannot go to their school to be safe, but realizing the people that can be insane, society needs to decrease their ability to get into these public places by increasing the security. It would become a hassle going to public places and going through security, but it will protect society from the deranged people.
Lastly, I believe that there should be better psychological testing done to people who buy guns, at least real destructive guns. This could hopefully prevent more insane people buying lethal weapons. This would probably cost a lot of money, but I believe it is an investment worth making. I do understand that the killer’s weapon was not even his. This can create a law that all guns must be in gun safes. Obviously it would be impossible to know whether or not people will follow this rule, but if we remind them on the Newtown killing, then they might consider it.
Overall, our society needs to become more aware of the danger in the world. People should still be able to carry concealed weapons first being approved by a more advanced psychological test. Along with that, security needs to intensify at common public places to protect society’s safety. I believe considering these three ideas can help guide America away from that edge they are stuck at.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy