My Thoughts on Newtown: Newtown Essay

brittany.walker
The catastrophic event that took place in Newtown was an eye opener for society regarding the people that live on this planet. Along with the shooting in Colorado, these events made us realize there are a lot of deranged people in the world. This event left America standing on an edge wondering where to go next from here. In my opinion I believe that guns should not be banned, there should be security systems at public places and there should be intensified screenings and background checks on people who buy guns.
Even though guns were the weapons that killed these innocent people, I do not believe people should lose their rights to being able to carry them. I believe employees above a certain age should be allowed to have one in their working environment. One can go under the sink where all their cleaning products are and create a destructive concoction that could still kill many people. If guns were banned and an unstable person creates another weapon how will we be able to protect ourselves? The situation would be so quick and hectic the victim would not be able to think of a weapon that could stop this person. However, if the victim had a gun, they would have a higher chance of being able to protect them. Yes, this means that the killer would have their hands on a gun, but at least the victim would also be able to have one as well, increasing their chances of saving lives.
Our security systems need to be more common at public places, popular targets for killers. It is sad to think one cannot go to their school to be safe, but realizing the people that can be insane, society needs to decrease their ability to get into these public places by increasing the security. It would become a hassle going to public places and going through security, but it will protect society from the deranged people.
Lastly, I believe that there should be better psychological testing done to people who buy guns, at least real destructive guns. This could hopefully prevent more insane people buying lethal weapons. This would probably cost a lot of money, but I believe it is an investment worth making. I do understand that the killer’s weapon was not even his. This can create a law that all guns must be in gun safes. Obviously it would be impossible to know whether or not people will follow this rule, but if we remind them on the Newtown killing, then they might consider it.
Overall, our society needs to become more aware of the danger in the world. People should still be able to carry concealed weapons first being approved by a more advanced psychological test. Along with that, security needs to intensify at common public places to protect society’s safety. I believe considering these three ideas can help guide America away from that edge they are stuck at.